THE BROWNS BOARD

Per Nfl.com: Browns Viewed Rg3 As "too Small"

Kerrigan91

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give you some more stats.

Against Texas (ranked 14th defensively) he threw for 320 yds, at a 68% clip.

Against TCU (ranked 32nd defensively) he threw for 359 yds, at a 77% clip.

He shredded Oklahoma for 479 yds, and 4 TD's, 14 yds per completion, at a 61% clip.

He did all of this with a fairly average team. Yep, definitely a running quarterback

In his last season at Va Tech, Vick threw for 1,234 yds, at a 54% clip. He was a running quarterback. He had, and still has an arm, but he couldn't "throw" to save his life. He didn't even start to show progression into his NFL career until '06.

RGlll in his last year, threw for 4200 yds, at a 72% clip. Besides the fact that they're both black, and fast, there is no compariso...none.

Yo, douchebag. You realize we drafted Brandon Weeden, not Michael Vick, right?

Griffin is a fine prospect, but we got ourseselves a bigger, stronger QB AND the best running back prospect in years, so you might want to slow your roll.

Zombo

Your right there is no comparison as is. Vick is undoubtedly a more successful NFL QB then RG3 is. RG3 has never won a game, has a passer rating of 0, a completion percentage of 0, and a grand total of 0 TD's. If you haven't completed a pass, scored a TD, or won a game in the NFL you are severely handicapped at being a better NFL QB then one who has.

Despite this tomfoolery, how about my Thunder? Started off 0-2 and now we're heading for the finals. If they pull this thing out it'll be a banner year sportswise for me. First my Cards pull off one of the craziest runs in baseball playoff history, my pokes went to and won their first BCS bowl game, and now the Thunder are 4 games away. If the Browns can pull off a miracle this year I might have unintentionally sold my soul to the devil in a drunken stupor.

Yo, douchebag. You realize we drafted Brandon Weeden, not Michael Vick, right?

Griffin is a fine prospect, but we got ourseselves a bigger, stronger QB AND the best running back prospect in years, so you might want to slow your roll.

Zombo

Hey, genius...

I was referring to the poster who claimed that RGlll and Vick were very similar in terms of play.

You might wanna learn how to follow a thread. And the irony is thick in here when you call someone a douchebag, while using brown/orange text, as if to suggest that your post was "Super special!"

Despite this tomfoolery, how about my Thunder? Started off 0-2 and now we're heading for the finals. If they pull this thing out it'll be a banner year sportswise for me. First my Cards pull off one of the craziest runs in baseball playoff history, my pokes went to and won their first BCS bowl game, and now the Thunder are 4 games away. If the Browns can pull off a miracle this year I might have unintentionally sold my soul to the devil in a drunken stupor.

congrats.

don't know who i want them to beat more. the celts or heat. i kinda hope it's the celts that move to the finals just to have the miami heat implode in the offseason. lebron will forever be remembered (if the preceding scenario happens) as lechoke.

hey what's up with these fashion moguls who are wearing glasses with no glass in them? fucking maroons. :lol:

Question...

How many of you can honestly get up in the morning, and not think (even if it is a passing thought) about doing evil things to Mike Holmgren?

Dude! You are an ass....this is the first time in YEARS that the Browns seem like they may compete and be a force in the NFL and all you can do is complain about some imaginary problem you have drummed up against Holmgren.

Why not get on board and have hope and excitement for our Browns instead of holding onto some hate like a little girl.... Come On GO Browns... haters grow up or stay home. FU!

Before last year I had no idea who rg3 was. If he starts from day 1 he's bound to have at least one Coltcussion like Aaron Rodgers

Because you didn't know who he was?

Did you know who Brandon Weeden was before last year?

Dude! You are an ass....this is the first time in YEARS that the Browns seem like they may compete and be a force in the NFL and all you can do is complain about some imaginary problem you have drummed up against Holmgren.

Why not get on board and have hope and excitement for our Browns instead of holding onto some hate like a little girl.... Come On GO Browns... haters grow up or stay home. FU!

I'm not a Browns fan... but yes, I am a terrible person.

Did you even bother to read the thread before you decided to respond like a three year old?

I will say that if I was Browns fan, I would be pissed at Holmgren/Heckert for not doing everything in their power to land RGIII, and instead settling for a QB that (if he turns out to be a stud) you will only get to enjoy for 6, maybe 7 years before his skills start to erode. I liked the Richardson pick though, and in hindsight, if Weeden and Richardson can be great together, then I think Holmgren can be vindicated. QB's like that don't come around very often though.

Did you even bother to read the thread before you decided to respond like a three year old?

I will say that if I was Browns fan, I would be pissed at Holmgren/Heckert for not doing everything in their power to land RGIII, and instead settling for a QB that (if he turns out to be a stud) you will only get to enjoy for 6, maybe 7 years before his skills start to erode. I liked the Richardson pick though, and in hindsight, if Weeden and Richardson can be great together, then I think Holmgren can be vindicated. QB's like that don't come around very often though.

Pissed at H&H for going beyond stupid to get one player? Hardly.

So with the draft over- is RG III worth Richardson, Weeden, a (hopefully) stud RT + a first round pick next year? Very debatable.

There's plenty of opinion outside of Washington the Redskins gave up way too much to get RG III. Enjoy not having to tune in on the first day of the draft for the next two years.

For what the Redskins gave up, you had better hope Griffin is the second coming of Warren Moon, because that's what your front office is thinking.

Pissed at H&H for going beyond stupid to get one player? Hardly.

So with the draft over- is RG III worth Richardson, Weeden, a (hopefully) stud RT + a first round pick next year? Very debatable.

There's plenty of opinion outside of Washington the Redskins gave up way too much to get RG III. Enjoy not having to tune in on the first day of the draft for the next two years.

For what the Redskins gave up, you had better hope Griffin is the second coming of Warren Moon, because that's what your front office is thinking.

Is it stupid because the Browns missed on the pick? Would you have been elated if you guys nabbed RGIII? Do you not believe that an organization (especially organizations like CLE and WAS that have sucked at qb for a considerable amount of time)should do whatever they can to land a talent like Griffin? Sure, we gave up a lot (2 first rd picks), but if that QB becomes everything you thought they could be, then the risk far outweighs the reward.

There is also plenty opinion that the Browns made a mistake by drafting by a 28 (soon to be 29) year old quarterback in the 1st rd, though I think the pick was warranted, given who you had, and who you failed to get. And since only the 1st round is shown on day one of the draft these days, I think we'll do just fine ;), since almost all of our draft picks from the last 2 years are still on the team, and we have had success in the early middle rounds selecting guys like Roy Helu, and are building considerable depth.

All us Redskins fans definitely have our fingers crossed though, but from early reports, it seems like RGIII is really picking up the playbook well, and taking care of business. I think he will work out great for us.

Good luck with your team though. I was a huge fan of Trent Richardson, even when he was playing behind Ingram at Bama, and I am excited to see what he can do in the NFL. I have no doubt that he can be a successful RB right off the bat.

Hey, genius...

I was referring to the poster who claimed that RGlll and Vick were very similar in terms of play.

You might wanna learn how to follow a thread. And the irony is thick in here when you call someone a douchebag, while using brown/orange text, as if to suggest that your post was "Super special!"

No, no ... I know who you were replying to. It was my way of saying "Enough already, shut up, you are making an idiot out of yourself, we don't care so much".

Now you have went ahead and gone "full Retard" and there's not much I can do about that.

Zombo

Ah...um, if the Browns get 6 or 7 years out of Weeden playing at a high level that would be outstanding. In their history the Browns have only had 3 QBs play 6 years at a high level: Graham, Sipe, Kosar.

I don't know what team you claim to be a fan of, but go back into that team's history and check out how many QBs have been the primary starter for a 6-7 year period. I would wager very few. So, it is not how long you stay, but what you do while you are here.

Is it stupid because the Browns missed on the pick? Would you have been elated if you guys nabbed RGIII? Do you not believe that an organization (especially organizations like CLE and WAS that have sucked at qb for a considerable amount of time)should do whatever they can to land a talent like Griffin? Sure, we gave up a lot (2 first rd picks), but if that QB becomes everything you thought they could be, then the risk far outweighs the reward.

There is also plenty opinion that the Browns made a mistake by drafting by a 28 (soon to be 29) year old quarterback in the 1st rd, though I think the pick was warranted, given who you had, and who you failed to get. And since only the 1st round is shown on day one of the draft these days, I think we'll do just fine ;), since almost all of our draft picks from the last 2 years are still on the team, and we have had success in the early middle rounds selecting guys like Roy Helu, and are building considerable depth.

All us Redskins fans definitely have our fingers crossed though, but from early reports, it seems like RGIII is really picking up the playbook well, and taking care of business. I think he will work out great for us.

Good luck with your team though. I was a huge fan of Trent Richardson, even when he was playing behind Ingram at Bama, and I am excited to see what he can do in the NFL. I have no doubt that he can be a successful RB right off the bat.

It is all a matter of risk vs. reward. The Redskins gave up what? 3 first round picks plus many more to take RGIII. The Browns gave up nothing for Weeden other than the pick where he was selected. As mentioned, I think the Browns may have been happy to take RGIII if they could have gotten him with their #4 pick....but they were not going to take the risk of giving up 3 first round picks plus to move up 2 spots to take him.

No one now knows what will happen with these 2 QBs. For all we know RG may end up being a bust....probably not on the Jamarcus Russell/Ryan Leaf scale but maybe on the Joey Harrington scale. Or, for all we know he will be the next John Elway and it will be Weeden who will be the Joey Harrington.

That's the key: we don't know.

What we do know is that the Browns FO was not willing to risk their future with an exorbitant package to get RGIII like the one the Redskins did. Hopefully their conservative approach will work.

Face it, the Rams fans are the ones hoping that RGIII goes bust, not the Browns fans. They are the ones holding all your future picks, not us. And you don't have to compete in the same conference as the Browns for wild card berths, but you do have to compete with the Rams.

How did we get a discussion started off of something that Grossi wrote as his personal opinion. He did not mention one person he talked to that told him this shit and he didn't even try to claim that he got information from an "un-named source". This is really a none story, a writer getting something in before deadline and talking up the local QB draft pick. Nothing more than this.

congrats.

don't know who i want them to beat more. the celts or heat. i kinda hope it's the celts that move to the finals just to have the miami heat implode in the offseason. lebron will forever be remembered (if the preceding scenario happens) as lechoke.

hey what's up with these fashion moguls who are wearing glasses with no glass in them? fucking maroons. :lol:

I'm hoping for the Celtics. So far in these playoffs we've beaten teams who still have a majority of their core from championship teams. The Heats new core hasn't pulled it off yet. As far as the glasses go your guess is as good as mine. I figure you should at least get non-prescription lens in them, especially with the money they're making but what do I know.

If the Browns thought RG3 was too small...why even make the offer in the first place?

Other than the fact that the notion is bull, it seems to me that's the kind of thing that would be a red flag before you start negotiating to trade up to number two to draft him, and we know that the Browns were negotiating for the second overall pick. Holmgren said as much in that conference call he had with season ticket holders, that they tried "everything possible" to try to draft RG3, and he implied heavily that the reason the deal didn't get done was because of prior relationships within the Redskins and Rams front offices. Which may have held some water, if it hadn't come out that the Browns low-balled the St. Louis Rams with their offer, and then tried to match the Redskins offer after the deadline the Rams said.

So he was too small, but they were still willing to give up the same number of draft picks the Redskins did to get him?

And then, the Browns moved up one spot to draft Richardson. There's no problem with drafting Richardson, despite what Jim Brown says I think he'll be a very good player in the NFL. They likely did so because they felt someone else would jump up and draft him. So they gave up three draft picks---draft picks you needed---to move up one spot...only to find out that they weren't in any danger of losing Richardson.

So they give up a fourth, fifth and seventh round pick to move up one spot to get a guy that they could've drafted if they'd just stayed at four, because they panicked because they didn't want to get leapfrogged by Tampa Bay, I'm guessing. Even though Tampa didn't have the kind of ammo to move up.

This is turn leaves the Browns with no ammo to move up and get Kendall Wright, who got drafted by the Titans before the Browns could get him, which lead to the Browns panicking a second time, which lead to them drafting Weeden in the first round. And again; no problem with Weeden. I thought he was a way better prospect coming out than Tannehill. But they got no value for that pick.

And just to add a little more "whhaaaaat?" to the mix, they drafted Mitchell Scwartz in the second round. And yeah, Scwartz looks like he could be an okay right tackle...but they had the opportunity to help out their receiving core (Holmgren also said they tried everything possible to get someone like Pierre Garcon or Josh Morgan to no avail) by taking Rueben Randall or Stephen Hill, and THEN they moved down in the third round, which made this miss on receivers like T.J Graham, DeVier Posey and T.Y Hilton, all of whom were better all around better prospects than Travis Benjamin, who is fast, but can't get get off press coverage.

So they spent three draft picks on a guy they could've spent one on, drafted a 28-year-old quarterback in the first round, addressed right tackle but only drafted one receiver, a receiver who struggles getting off press and getting separation. On top of that, they spent a lot of picks on defense, but no one they drafted is going to help them with their pass rush and to get more sacks.

...You can see how we're a bit confused on how you're not a little more miffed...

As Gipper said- we would have been very happy if Griffin had fallen to us at #4. To give up an additional two first round picks plus a second- to move up two spots in the draft is well, nuts. H&H thought so, and so do most Browns fans. The straight value chart said our #4 and #22 should have been enough. At least admit you seriously overpaid for the pick.

& as I said- RG IIIs talent aside, his performance level had better project out to Hall of Fame level- or else you gave up too much to get him.

Yes the Weedster is old- but so were Roger Staubach and Kurt Warner when they finally broke into the NFL. Plus, plenty of HOF qbs & current superstars didn't get drafted with the first 5 picks- I would hope you're smart enough to figure that one out without be giving you a laundry list.

...You can see how we're a bit confused on how you're not a little more miffed...

I don't think you're confused in as much as you're stupid.

If Griffin turns out to be worth three first rounders and a second versus staying pat and grabbing Weeden with our second first rounder, that's one thing, but most feel Weeden can be very good and the age thing is just about immaterial. I guess we'll worry about his age when he's 37.

We threw in a couple garbage picks to secure Richardson, the best running back prospect in years, so, kudos to our front office on that one. Sitting at four while someone else traded ahead of us and took him would have sucked ass.

Schwartz was the highest rated pure right tackle in the draft, so we went out and got exactly what we wanted there.

Sorry we didn't have a fourth pick in the top 40 to get a WR too, but, guess what, we're not mortgaged next year when there is a boatload of talent at WR coming out ... who are you guys going grab next year? OH ... married to the over-rated retreads for awhile ... OK, good luck with all that.

Zombo

I don't think you're confused in as much as you're stupid.

If Griffin turns out to be worth three first rounders and a second versus staying pat and grabbing Weeden with our second first rounder, that's one thing, but most feel Weeden can be very good and the age thing is just about immaterial. I guess we'll worry about his age when he's 37.

We threw in a couple garbage picks to secure Richardson, the best running back prospect in years, so, kudos to our front office on that one. Sitting at four while someone else traded ahead of us and took him would have sucked ass.

Schwartz was the highest rated pure right tackle in the draft, so we went out and got exactly what we wanted there.

Sorry we didn't have a fourth pick in the top 40 to get a WR too, but, guess what, we're not mortgaged next year when there is a boatload of talent at WR coming out ... who are you guys going grab next year? OH ... married to the over-rated retreads for awhile ... OK, good luck with all that.

Zombo

I think I've been pretty respectful around these parts. I don't like walking to other people's houses and shitting on the carpet, so I'll thank you not to call m stupid.

And the "overrated retreads" (I take it you mean Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan) we signed were guys that your front office tried to obtain, in addition to trying to obtain Robert Griffin III.

So your team wanted to make...pretty much every move my team made. And yet every move my team made is stupid, and every move your team made is not. Interesting logic, sir.

ETA: And to make matters more confusing, the Browns thought RG3 was too small...yet they drafted Colt McCoy at 6'1" and 215 pounds in 2010? Again. Interesting logic.

I'm perfectly fine with how the draft turned out.

Holmgren couldn't spend as many picks on RG3 as Snyder did.. Weeden was the 1A option, and a good pre-draft call. [Tannehill will bust.] I had the Browns going Richardson, Martin, Weeden - and Schwartz might turn out to be better than Martin. Yes, I wanted Wright at 22, but when he wasn't available, the next best was Martin.

Next year there are 5 legit NFL #1's coming out: Woods/USC, Allen/Cal, Wilson/WashSt, Hunter/Tennessee, Watkins/Clemson. All the current mocks have Cleveland taking one of LSU's DE in the first round.. but Cleveland could get one of those five at the top of 2 as well.

As for not getting Morgan and Garcon: Washington paid Garcon $42.5 million, Morgan $6M per season. Those numbers are insane. And by insane, I mean typical for Snyder: Massive cost, very minimal return. Just like the contracts for DeAngelo Hall and Albert Haynesworth. Of course Cleveland was interested.. at a much lower cost. The point isn't to simply get a player, the point is to get a player at the correct price point. For example, during next year's offseason, due to Cleveland's good use of the cap and Washington's inability to maneuver, the Browns could easily sign Orakpo as a free agent.

If the Browns thought RG3 was too small...why even make the offer in the first place?

Other than the fact that the notion is bull, it seems to me that's the kind of thing that would be a red flag before you start negotiating to trade up to number two to draft him, and we know that the Browns were negotiating for the second overall pick. Holmgren said as much in that conference call he had with season ticket holders, that they tried "everything possible" to try to draft RG3, and he implied heavily that the reason the deal didn't get done was because of prior relationships within the Redskins and Rams front offices. Which may have held some water, if it hadn't come out that the Browns low-balled the St. Louis Rams with their offer, and then tried to match the Redskins offer after the deadline the Rams said.

Hello, McFly? Is anybody home? In case you didn't know it, people like Holmgren lie for PR purposes. Whether he was lying then or lying now it doesn't matter. It is all smoke up your ass and you seem to be inhaling.

So he was too small, but they were still willing to give up the same number of draft picks the Redskins did to get him?

And then, the Browns moved up one spot to draft Richardson. There's no problem with drafting Richardson, despite what Jim Brown says I think he'll be a very good player in the NFL. They likely did so because they felt someone else would jump up and draft him. So they gave up three draft picks---draft picks you needed---to move up one spot...only to find out that they weren't in any danger of losing Richardson.

You have no fucking clue as to whether or not they were in danger of losing him. The GM of the Vikings said that indeed there were other people interested and if the Browns wanted him it was a good thing that they made the deal.

So they give up a fourth, fifth and seventh round pick to move up one spot to get a guy that they could've drafted if they'd just stayed at four, because they panicked because they didn't want to get leapfrogged by Tampa Bay, I'm guessing. Even though Tampa didn't have the kind of ammo to move up.

WTF? You think TB didn't have any 3rd/4th round etc. picks? Tampa was interested in getting TR. They have never denied that they weren't. Are you just making up shit to hear yourself talk or are you really this clueless?

This is turn leaves the Browns with no ammo to move up and get Kendall Wright, who got drafted by the Titans before the Browns could get him, which lead to the Browns panicking a second time, which lead to them drafting Weeden in the first round. And again; no problem with Weeden. I thought he was a way better prospect coming out than Tannehill. But they got no value for that pick.

Again, you are just pulling shit out of your ass to fit their delusion. If the Browns wanted Wright bad enough they would have had the ammo to move up. They didn't want to move up. If they wanted him, they only wanted him where they were. If he wasn't there they had other acceptable options and they took those.

And just to add a little more "whhaaaaat?" to the mix, they drafted Mitchell Scwartz in the second round. And yeah, Scwartz looks like he could be an okay right tackle...but they had the opportunity to help out their receiving core (Holmgren also said they tried everything possible to get someone like Pierre Garcon or Josh Morgan to no avail) by taking Rueben Randall or Stephen Hill, and THEN they moved down in the third round, which made this miss on receivers like T.J Graham, DeVier Posey and T.Y Hilton, all of whom were better all around better prospects than Travis Benjamin, who is fast, but can't get get off press coverage.

But the Browns had as serious a need at RT as they had at WR, trust me on that. And Mitchell Schwartz was a better prospect as a RT than any of those guys were as WR. If those guys were good enough the Browns would have taken them. In their view Schwartz was the better, more sure player.

Your second guessing here is foolish.

So they spent three draft picks on a guy they could've spent one on, drafted a 28-year-old quarterback in the first round, addressed right tackle but only drafted one receiver, a receiver who struggles getting off press and getting separation. On top of that, they spent a lot of picks on defense, but no one they drafted is going to help them with their pass rush and to get more sacks.

You don't know a fucking thing about that either. Both JMJ and Acho may be beasts as pass rushers. Furthermore, the Browns bigger need was at stopping the Rush and both The Sausage King and The Winner are poised to fit their more urgent need there.

Yes, we can see why you are confused. Because apparently your medula oblongata is where your descending colon should be.

None of us are confused at all. The Browns needed a RB, they got the best available prospect at that position. They needed a RT, they got the best available prospect at that position. They needed a QB, they got one that seems to fit the bill. Sure, it would have been nice to have Luck, but maybe they will have some luck instead. They needed a speed WR, they got the guy that had the best 40 time of all WRs available. The Browns needed run stuffers, they got guys that are supposed to fit that bill (and it now especially good they did given Taylor's injuries). They needed depth on the OLine and maybe someone to challenge for the RG spot, they got that with Ryan Miller.

On the surface of this draft the Browns seem to have done wonderfully. Time will only tell of course.

I'm perfectly fine with how the draft turned out.

Holmgren couldn't spend as many picks on RG3 as Snyder did.. Weeden was the 1A option, and a good pre-draft call. [Tannehill will bust.] I had the Browns going Richardson, Martin, Weeden - and Schwartz might turn out to be better than Martin. Yes, I wanted Wright at 22, but when he wasn't available, the next best was Martin.

Next year there are 5 legit NFL #1's coming out: Woods/USC, Allen/Cal, Wilson/WashSt, Hunter/Tennessee, Watkins/Clemson. All the current mocks have Cleveland taking one of LSU's DE in the first round.. but Cleveland could get one of those five at the top of 2 as well.

As for not getting Morgan and Garcon: Washington paid Garcon $42.5 million, Morgan $6M per season. Those numbers are insane. And by insane, I mean typical for Snyder: Massive cost, very minimal return. Just like the contracts for DeAngelo Hall and Albert Haynesworth. Of course Cleveland was interested.. at a much lower cost. The point isn't to simply get a player, the point is to get a player at the correct price point. For example, during next year's offseason, due to Cleveland's good use of the cap and Washington's inability to maneuver, the Browns could easily sign Orakpo as a free agent.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

I think I've been pretty respectful around these parts. I don't like walking to other people's houses and shitting on the carpet, so I'll thank you not to call m stupid.

And the "overrated retreads" (I take it you mean Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan) we signed were guys that your front office tried to obtain, in addition to trying to obtain Robert Griffin III.

So your team wanted to make...pretty much every move my team made. And yet every move my team made is stupid, and every move your team made is not. Interesting logic, sir.

ETA: And to make matters more confusing, the Browns thought RG3 was too small...yet they drafted Colt McCoy at 6'1" and 215 pounds in 2010? Again. Interesting logic.

Respectful? Your previous post consisted of you completely shitting on our draft. In this post you boast about your teaming having the offseason our team "wanted." Thats the complete opposite of being respectful. As far as the RG3 and Colt comparison, one required three first round picks as well as a second while the other was a third round pick. One is expected/ needs to have a hall of fame type of career to justify not only his draft position but the compensation necessary to pick him while the other had little expectations and was considered a project at best. Needless to say thats not much of a comparison. The more you attempt to stick up for yourself the stupider you come across. I'd advise you to quit while your ahead before you make a complete and utter ass of yourself.

One shouldn't throw stones if they live in a glass house with the "Dan Snyder overspends" stuff...

Jeff Garcia, Andre Rison, Donte Stallworth, Jake Delhomme, Willie McGinest, trading a second and fourth round pick to Dallas to draft Brady Quinn, sending a second round pick to the Packers for Corey Williams and signing him to a 6-year, $38.6 million dollar deal, then trading him to Detroit after giving Detroit a fifth in addition to a 7th...

Too late, I already called you stupid, dicktits

I wouldn't trade a first rounder for both of them together if you threw in a 12-pack. We have a first rounder next year, do you?

Hmmm. Here is your logic: "You guys would have been brilliant to give up three first rounders and a second rounder to move up two spots and take our guy, but you are really dumb to trade two late round garbage picks to move up one space and take your guy."

We drafted Colt in the mid third round. That's where smallish guys with good college stats go.

Zombo

--You guys get "confused" a lot

Archived