THE BROWNS BOARD

More Picks coming?

The Gipper

See this article:

he Cleveland Browns' free-agency strategy is becoming clear.

Sign released players, let in-house free agents walk and compile compensatory picks as a result.

ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi pointed out the Browns are angling for compensatory picks, and people from a few NFL circles have gotten strong indications the Browns are working this angle, hoping to turn the loss of several players into more at-bats in the draft.

L trades and free-agency moves this offseason.

The signings of quarterback Josh McCown, wide receiver Brian Hartline, defensive tackle Randy Starks and possibly wide receiver Dwayne Bowewon’t count against the compensatory pick formula. Those players were cut. Coach Mike Pettine pointed out unprompted in an interview last week that the team is evaluating not just free agents, “but guys that are being released from rosters.” The team targeted pass-rusherTrent Cole, who was cut by the Eagles and eventually signed with Indianapolis.

The Browns signed unrestricted corner Tramon Williams, which could affect the formula, but the loss of four in-house free agents -- Jabaal Sheard, Buster Skrine, Jordan Cameron, eventually Ahtyba Rubin -- unofficially puts the Browns at plus-three in the compensatory math column for the 2016 draft.

Compensatory picks are mid-to-late-round picks given to teams to offset the loss of a key player to another team. A team that loses more than it acquires in free agency is eligible to receive a maximum of four extra picks. The formula accounts for salary, playing time and postseason honors of the players coming and going.

The Ravens are known for employing the compensatory strategy, compiling four additional picks in each of the last two years.

But this plan works for Baltimore because they generally draft well, though Day 3 drafting is generally low-percentage hitting for many team. Of the Browns’ 18 picks from Rounds 4-7 in the last five years, six were on the roster in 2014.

If you wanted more evidence the Browns want to be a team that builds through the draft, this is it. But did the Browns leave good free agents on the table just to acquire more players that might not pan out?

I believe this is OK strategy, but the Browns will not apparently get any of these picks for losing Sheard, Cameron, Skrine, and Rubin until next year it seems.

Yep, we're plus-3 in the compensatory picks for next year. Plus side, the guys we let go in Cameron, Skrine, Rubin and Sheard were all starters/rotational, and so the picks should be relatively high - third/fourth round.

Fuck Grossi, what Farmer's not supposed to build a team properly because everyone before him didnt know their ass from a hole in the ground?

Im done reading his bullshit. I mean what free agents did Farmer not go after that he secretly wanted to go after? For fuck sakes.

Well what is the bottom line here? I just want to see a winning team sometime in the near future. I understand about compensatory draft picks next year but are we able to draft enough this year to fill our needs? You would think so with ten picks. Provided they draft smart is anyone's guess.

Fuck Grossi, what Farmer's not supposed to build a team properly because everyone before him didnt know their ass from a hole in the ground?

Im done reading his bullshit. I mean what free agents did Farmer not go after that he secretly wanted to go after? For fuck sakes.

I don't think that Grossi was necessarily saying that it was a bad strategy...he was just pointing out that it was their strategy.

Letting Skrine, Cameron, Rubin and Sheard walk wasn't bad IMO. None of them are worth the money they got. Espescially Skrine. He is a slot 3rd corner at best. And Cameron is one concussion away from retirement.

We do not tank for no one but, or easiest part of the schedule next season is are own division. Combining record next season with those extra picks, Farmer and Haslem has set them self up to give it all away for a Cardell Jones or any QB savor in 2016. Could we be closing in finally on a Franchise QB in 2016?? FA QB list for 2016 is growing also..

Gather draft picks and sign vets who fit your scheme and are good leaders... Perfect plan to me. Just missing one thing still... that pesky QB

Absolutely. It will take a little time but I firmly believe we are heading towards something good under Farmer and Pettine.

Letting Skrine, Cameron, Rubin and Sheard walk wasn't bad IMO. None of them are worth the money they got. Espescially Skrine. He is a slot 3rd corner at best. And Cameron is one concussion away from retirement.

Note that the Jets also signed Darelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie.....so, yea, Skrine may still be in the 3rd CB slot.

Archived