THE BROWNS BOARD

BREAKING: 49ers Chris Borland retires.

WalterWhite

It's really not that crazy of an idea-people in rugby get hurt a lot but because they don't wear helmets it's just natural to not lead with the head. I think what I'm more surprised at is that there isn't more solid technology on a "concussion-proof" helmet. I mean, I know there are some out there like Wes Welker has worn but there's nothing league-wide. I think that's the next step that some company is going to make billions on when they are required.

Ahh... yes... the concussion-proof helmet...

I had Eddy Lacy on my fantasy team last year and I remember the opener when they played Seattle the announcers were discussing his "concussion-resistant" helmet he wore in that game. They made a big deal about the design, weight, shape, etc...

He suffered a concussion in that game...

Ahh... yes... the concussion-proof helmet...

I had Eddy Lacy on my fantasy team last year and I remember the opener when they played Seattle the announcers were discussing his "concussion-resistant" helmet he wore in that game. They made a big deal about the design, weight, shape, etc...

He suffered a concussion in that game...

Yes, as I said clearly before I'm not stupid and realize a 100% effective helmet for concussion is impossible (which is why it's in quotes). But to repeat myself, I see technology being available to reduce the rate of concussions and those helmets being mandatory sooner than later.

.. and, correct me if I am wrong, so has Welker...

One point I've not heard is that some people are more prone to be concussed than others. I think this is true, if for no other reason than "chin" variations in boxers, but can find no articles supporting this.

Interesting contrast yesterday between Borland's thoughtful interview for ESPN's OTL and anecdotal stories by Mark Schlereth and Louis Riddick.

Schlereth claims he cannot remember a pro game where he was not at least momentarily dazed, "saw stars" or "had his bell rung". For him it was part of the game and going out was never a consideration. But he had no idea that the effects of all these episodes could be cumulative.

Riddick recalled a pre-season game in his rookie season when he had to ask what his assignment was before every play because a collision had knocked the playbook out of his head. As a 9th round pick trying to make a team, there was no way he was going out.

Both men talked about how the culture of the day did not allow missing time due to a concussion unless you'd been knocked out. And then you went back in as soon as you were functional again.

Both men talked about what they did not know about concussions at the time and what the NFL did know at the time.

As I prev stated something else was going on. Some physical probably showed some genetic marker or something. He claims he's fine, that it's a decision based on his future....it just seems like he's either had undiagnosed head trauma or he's discovered some genetic marker that makes him more susceptible. Something. He really was promising, anybody that watched the Seattle games would know that.

• 2 months later...

And today....yet another young 49er 1st rounder surprisingly retires.....Anthony Davis OT...25 yrs old....

Had a concussion last year and aint messing around....giving back his $$$(ala Chris Borland) and walking away....

Archived