THE BROWNS BOARD

The 2015 Sleeper Thread: Day 3 Prospects You Think Will Surprise...

Tour2ma

It's time...

In no particular order:

Henry Anderson (DE) Stanford: Has the body to be a true 3-4 DE. He's bigger than Billy was coming out of Boise St., but I see a lot of the same qualities.

Matt Jones (RB) Florida: I love finding a HB to convert to FB.... Here he is.

Joey Mbu (DT) U of H: In one of the deepest DT drafts I can recall, someone is going to fall further than they should. Here's my candidate.

MyCole Pruitt (TE) S. Illinois-Carbondale: Since Marpet moved out of sleeper class, I had to find another small school guy. Here he is and I would not be surprised to see him as our "F-back".

Ben Heeney (ILB) Kansas: Ben still barely qualifies as he may be on the verge to Day 2. An undersized ILB at 231 lbs., he's close to the fastest and may be the most agile ILB in the draft.

Chris Conley (WR) UGA: After his Combine I'm not sure how he is still a Day 3'er...

Max Valles (OLB) UVA: Sometimes the guy opposite "the guy" stays a little too far under the radar, e.g., Martavis Bryant.

Mitch Morse (OG) Missou: Was an OT, but needs to move inside a la Ty Sambrailo. His Combine numbers were not quite Marpetesque, but they are close. Well suited to our ZBS.

Ben Beckwith (OG) Miss. St.: More of a power guy, Ben has added value as he did some nice fill in work at Center.

All my sleeper OTs have either awakened or shifted inside. Mitch (see above) is an example of the latter. The most demonstrable example of the former is D.J. Humphries (Florida), who never had any business being a Day 3 guy. He is now Day 1 on some boards.

Biggest void on my list is the defensive secondary. If pressed there are a couple names I like late, e.g., Adrian Amos (FS) Penn St., but none stand out that have not moved up from Day 3.

What list are you using to determine who is now on the day 3 list?

Using first-pick I would go with Jordan Hicks OLB Texas, Jalston Fowler FB Alabama, Charles Gaines CB Louisville, Andy Gallic C Boston College. I would have said Anderson too, but he is day 2 under first-pick.

Hmmm......always a stab in the dark, but I do have a few myself......(and some DB's too ;) )

Eric Rowe -CB- Utah......he was one of my first choices, but now seems to be climbing.....long, fast and heading UP the draft board...

My other CB was Quinten Rollins(Miami OH), but he has now moved into round 2 and is no longer a sleeper....

James Sample - SS - Louiseville......big, long, hard hitting tackler with limited exposure......good depth guy for day 3...

Deontay Greenberry -WR - Houston.....speed, length and a knack for the spectacular catch.....huge year 1, with a drop off for year 2.....Id definitely bring him in.....could be explosive.....

Sean Mannion....QB.....I know there is a less than flattering thread about him already, but he is/was one of my early UDFA picks who could be a good find........one of the only "proto-type" QB's in this years draft......has all the measurables in height, arm strength, etc....but needs some coaching.....I say take a waiver on this one......

Tyler Varga...FB....Yale.....this guy is my favorite!!!!!.....a true beast!!!.....I say grab him and hold on.....smart, strong, fast & tough

What list are you using to determine who is now on the day 3 list?

I go to DraftScouts as primary, and if in doubt look at the PlayTheDraft Index (FRX)...

Tyler Varga...FB....Yale.....this guy is my favorite!!!!!.....a true beast!!!.....I say grab him and hold on.....smart, strong, fast & tough

Can't help myself....take a gander at Varga....and consider that he is a Yale graduate(and very very smart)....tough AND heady..

With you Mud, Varga has got Belicheat written all over Him. We cannot let a Hooded Evil Genius beat us to this Guy he has Devlin already. Give Me Varga FB (not a RB) and WR Chris Conley with a QB is going to be the Bomb... Justin Hardy WR ECU. This kid does nothing but catch everything a taller Steve Smith, never seen him take a snap off..

Evan Spencer is my sleeper. No homerism here, but he reportedly ran a 4.4 at his pro day. Urban Meyer called him one of his most important players for his run blocking, and he has a knack for making some circus catches. NFL bloodline and we can get him in the 5th or 6th.

Sean Mannion, Oregon State QB. This is a real "We'll see" type guy. Why not spend a late pick on him?

CJ Uzomah, Auburn TE. Underutilized & one of those kids who may shine in NFL. A virtual unknown who may even be a UDFA.

Jeff Heuerman, OSU TE. I think he may beat the foot injury & surprise people (ala Zydrunas Ilgauskas of the Cavs).

Mike

I read Tull's bio & it's stories like his that make my favorite part of the draft the signing of UDFAs. They DON't have a sense of entitlement, but DO have a hunger, chip on their shoulder, & frequently a work ethic far surpassing those of many early draft picks.

Ol' "Give me players with something to prove" Dad

Well... if we're picking guys from our own school...

I would think Gardner would be worth a look as a UDFA. He showed flashes during limited time at WR, and could develop into a solid, big body WR. In the mean time, while on the practice squad, he could help simulate mobile QBs in practice. Also, obviously, great character.

Idk, just an idea. He most likely isn't getting drafted, but its an idea.

I'll see if I can find any small school sleepers in the mean time

BJ Finney, C - Kansas State: Former walk on. I like guys who are hungry to prove themselves. Especially wrestlers turned lineman.

Max Valles, OLB - Virginia: Noticed this kid while watching Eli Harold. Every bit as athletically gifted as any other prospect in this draft. Just very, very raw. Upside is tremendous though.

Cam Thomas, CB - Western Kentucky: He's a safety prospect in the Browns defense. Elsewhere? He's a tampa2 type DB. GREAT awareness of route combinations from playing in zone defenses.

Tevin McDonald, S - Eastern Washington: Honey Badger-esque. All the instincts, recognition and intensity you want but none of the size. Listed 5'11 200lbs. More like 5'9 185.

DeAndre Smelter, WR, GT

- Excellent size, strength, and athleticism. Has superb RAC ability.

Clayton Geathers, SS, UCF

- UCF was on national TV a lot this fall and I caught quite a few of their games. Geathers stood out to me as he has a knack for being around the ball. Tested well at the combine and possesses elite size.

Kyle Emanuel, OLB, North Dakota State

- Won the Buck Buchanon award as the top defensive player in FCS. Good size, athleticism, and strength. First "Strength" listed on NFL is this "Logged 16.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks in eight games against top 25 opponents." I would love that on the Browns as a backup OLB/ILB.

Tyeler Davison, DT, Fresno State

- Davison has all the tools and I think he could play inside in a 4-3 or 3-4. It would not surprise me to see a team draft him in the 4th based on potential.

day 3 is what, the 5th round starting out?

Mik,

Day 3 is round 4 through 7 & it's May 2, 2015. Then comes my favorites, the UDFAs.

Mike

I had never heard of Chris Bonner, but his video is impressive,

but I'd pass. Way too much Derek Anderson.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/3/3/8138941/chris-bonner-2015-nfl-draft-scouting-report

"Brock Osweiler" ...nah.

But Mannion is a guy I'd be very, very interested in.

Evan Spencer, wr Ohio State.

Working to be drafted... I think he'd be a huge steal

in the 6th, maybe even 5th round.

Tough, fast, excellent blocker...good hands. why not? I'd draft him in a NY second.

Mik,

Day 3 is round 4 through 7 & it's May 2, 2015. Then comes my favorites, the UDFAs.

Mike

Mine too. I know the Browns were talking to A&M's K Josh Lambo who had a greater % of fg's and xp's than their Lou Groza Award winner Randy Bullock, now with Houston Texans. Former pro soccer player so he has the leg.

Archived