THE BROWNS BOARD

Bruce Drennan's challenge to Browns fans

dawg2fan

I'm not sure if you guys watch Bruce Drennan, but he has been throwing out a Scenario about the Browns ability to win a SB with the next 5 years. I don't have the time or patience to call and wait online to get through, but my question would be as follows: "Couldn't you say the same about 26 or more teams"? It is very difficult to even get there, much more win it. Even the San Diego Chargers, who have been very competitive, have not been to the SB since 1995 and they lost to the Niners 49-26. And that was the only time they were even in the SB. I don't think it is a fair question. What do you think?

Last Title game appearance by all NFL teams:

2014 Patriots

2014 Seahawks

2013 Broncos

2012 49ers

2012 Ravens

2011 Giants

2010 Packers

2010 Steelers

2009 Saints

2009 Colts

2008 Cardinals

2006 Bears

2004 Eagles

2003 Panthers

2002 Buccaneers

2002 Raiders

2001 Rams

1999 Titans

1998 Falcons

1995 Cowboys

1994 Chargers

1993 Bills

1991 Redskins

1988 Bengals

1982 Dolphins

1976 Vikings

1969 Chiefs

1968 Jets

1965 Browns

1957 Lions

never Jaguars

never Texans

Last Title by each Team:

2014 Patriots

2013 Seahawks

2012 Ravens

2011 Giants

2010 Packers

2009 Saints

2008 Steelers

2006 Colts

2002 Bucs

1999 Rams

1998 Broncos

1995 Cowboys

1994 49ers

1991 Redskins

1985 Bears

1983 Raiders

1973 Dolphins

1969 Chiefs

1968 Jets

1965 Bills

1964 Browns

1963 Chargers

1961 Oilers/Titans

1960 Eagles

1957 Lions

1947 Cardinals

Falcons, Bengals, Vikings, Texans, Jaguars, Panthers...never

2014 Patriots

2014 Seahawks

2013 Broncos

2012 49ers

2012 Ravens

2011 Giants

2010 Packers

2010 Steelers

2009 Saints

2009 Colts

2008 Cardinals

2006 Bears

2004 Eagles

2002 Buccaneers

2002 Raiders

2001 Rams

1999 Titans

1998 Falcons

1995 Cowboys

1994 Chargers

1993 Bills

1991 Redskins

1988 Bengals

1982 Dolphins

1976 Vikings

1969 Chiefs

1968 Jets

1965 Browns

1957 Lions

never Jaguars

never Titans

Only the Panthers are left out. 2002 I believe

I'm not sure if you guys watch Bruce Drennan, but he has been throwing out a Scenario about the Browns ability to win a SB with the next 5 years. I don't have the time or patience to call and wait online to get through, but my question would be as follows: "Couldn't you say the same about 26 or more teams"? It is very difficult to even get there, much more win it. Even the San Diego Chargers, who have been very competitive, have not been to the SB since 1995 and they lost to the Niners 49-26. And that was the only time they were even in the SB. I don't think it is a fair question. What do you think?

And yes OP, I think it's pretty ridiculous. Any team can make the changes needed to win a super bowl in five years (see Seatlle). All it takes is hitting on draft picks (Wilson, Sherman, Kam etc...) in the later rounds, and a little bit of luck ?

And yes OP, I think it's pretty ridiculous. Any team can make the changes needed to win a super bowl in five years (see Seatlle). All it takes is hitting on draft picks (Wilson, Sherman, Kam etc...) in the later rounds, and a little bit of luck

I know Bruce is an Indians fan, but you can at least make the arguement that he is a bit disgusted with the Browns fans calling his show. Don't get me wrong, I like Bruce, but it is a little frustrating to hear him berait the Browns fans.

And yes OP, I think it's pretty ridiculous. Any team can make the changes needed to win a super bowl in five years (see Seatlle). All it takes is hitting on draft picks (Wilson, Sherman, Kam etc...) in the later rounds, and a little bit of luck

Rams went from 4-12 to Super Bowl title in one year. Patriots went from 5-11 to Super Bowl title in one year.

Yes, it can be done.....

One interesting factor about both those teams......Rams switched from like Trent Green to Kurt Warner early in 1999....won title.

Pats switched from Drew Bledsoe to Tom Brady early in 2001...won title.

Also, note: 2000 Ravens switched halfway through from Tony Banks to Trent Dilfer....won title

Three SB champs in a row switched to a new QB to win. Interesting.

Rams went from 4-12 to Super Bowl title in one year. Patriots went from 5-11 to Super Bowl title in one year.

Yes, it can be done.....

One interesting factor about both those teams......Rams switched from like Trent Green to Kurt Warner early in 1999....won title.

Pats switched from Drew Bledsoe to Tom Brady early in 2001...won title.

Also, note: 2000 Ravens switched halfway through from Tony Banks to Trent Dilfer....won title

Three SB champs in a row switched to a new QB to win. Interesting.

i'll give you all but Trent Dilfer. It was the Ravens' D that won that SB. Dilfer was just there to manage the game, but the D was incredible.

5 years for a new regime given their guaranteed continuity used to be the plan. now if you don't make it to the playoffs in 2 you're usually shit-canned.

i think continuity with a staff you have faith in is key.

not too many new HCs and GMs just walk into a stacked team, make a couple of tweaks and win the whole thing the next year. as a matter of fact they usually inherit crap, players that don't fit their systems and by the time they get 'their' guys they are shown the door.

imagine if chip kelly doesn't win this year after basically scrapping the whole team. will laurie hang onto to that freak?

5 years for a new regime given their guaranteed continuity used to be the plan. now if you don't make it to the playoffs in 2 you're usually shit-canned.

not too many new HC and GMs just walk into a stacked team, make a couple of tweaks and win the whole thing the next year.

Mik gets it!

Mike

not too many new HC and GMs just walk into a stacked team, make a couple of tweaks and win the whole thing the next year.

Mik and I agree :)

The only thing I'd add, it's very difficult to keep continuity in a organization when they haven't been successful in quite some time and the new one isn't successful in 3 years.

Mik and I agree :)

The only thing I'd add, it's very difficult to keep continuity in a organization when they haven't been successful in quite some time and the new one isn't successful in 3 years.

yep. in my edited post i added a quirp about kelly and eagles. will laurie keep him there after drastically changing the look of a very talented team that didn't win to 'his' team that doesn't win (hypothetically, of course)?

They need to keep a coach and general manager for more than a year at a time. Pettine is a good fit. I hope for his sake they have a great draft. It would be horrible to see him go after two years. Even the players need time to learn new systems. Sheard was good under Ray Horton's defense. That's why he was drafted. We need stability and a little time.

not too many new HCs and GMs just walk into a stacked team, make a couple of tweaks and win the whole thing the next year. as a matter of fact they usually inherit crap, players that don't fit their systems and by the time they get 'their' guys they are shown the door.

imagine if chip kelly doesn't win this year after basically scrapping the whole team. will laurie hang onto to that freak?

MIke Tomlin gets to take that rare cred of getting a stacked team that took HIM to the SB and gave him an undeserved ring...

Not that I don't like Pettine, because I actually believe he is the best coach we have had since the return, but MAN I really wish Cowher would have came to Cleveland...

i really doubt cowher will ever coach again. he lost a lot of time with family and years off his life...........i think that chair on cbs sports is a lot more cushy than anything another nfl team could ever give him.

but hey, stranger things have happened.

Drennan is an entertainer. Football is the foundation of his schtick, but at the end of the day, he is an entertainer.

The talk of a SB in the next five years is asinine totally asinine. Never mind that predicting the future, 5 years away in a sport that is heavily influenced by injuries, bad officiating, failed drafts, the bounce of the ball, the personal peccadillos of players, coaches and FO, and you have an entity that Is above all logic and science to predict.

As I see it, the REAL questions is, what do the Browns have to do so that each and every year, when the seasons starts, the franchise is one of the upper echelon teams that get's talked about as a high probability to go. In my mind the Browns are floundering and until several areas are addressed, the team will remain the same.

1) Put a logo on the helmet - a GROUND HOG in the likeness of Bill Murray would be nice.

All kidding aside, we don't have a QB presence, there is no identity to either offense or defense, our draft record continues to blow; we don't have very many outstanding skill players, players don't want to come here or stay here. On and on the list goes. s the once great Cleveland sports guru Myron Cope used to say..............YOY!

You have it pal. Instead of a Groundhog- how about a cow pie? It fits- the Clevealnd Cowpies, because we play like shit.

As for the question, I agree with the regime getting time to build the team, but if Farmer whiffs on the first round again this year, Jimmy isn't going to be happy.

Drennan is an entertainer. Football is the foundation of his schtick, but at the end of the day, he is an entertainer.

The talk of a SB in the next five years is asinine totally asinine. Never mind that predicting the future, 5 years away in a sport that is heavily influenced by injuries, bad officiating, failed drafts, the bounce of the ball, the personal peccadillos of players, coaches and FO, and you have an entity that Is above all logic and science to predict.

As I see it, the REAL questions is, what do the Browns have to do so that each and every year, when the seasons starts, the franchise is one of the upper echelon teams that get's talked about as a high probability to go. In my mind the Browns are floundering and until several areas are addressed, the team will remain the same.

1) Put a logo on the helmet - a GROUND HOG in the likeness of Bill Murray would be nice.

All kidding aside, we don't have a QB presence, there is no identity to either offense or defense, our draft record continues to blow; we don't have very many outstanding skill players, players don't want to come here or stay here. On and on the list goes. s the once great Cleveland sports guru Myron Cope used to say..............YOY!

Ditto.

Yes, sorry. 2003 season to be precise. Overlooked as I typed.

Titans lost to Rams in a thriller, 2002?

I'm 51, Browns need an appearance & victory soon, before I'm senile.

If this thread goes to a page 3, then I might have to look up who the hell Bruce Drennan is...

You can watch the show for a week and the rest he repeats over and over again on Browns. It is a Whiner's Fest with the face to show it :angry:

2014 Patriots

2014 Seahawks

2013 Broncos

2012 49ers

2012 Ravens

2011 Giants

2010 Packers

2010 Steelers

2009 Saints

2009 Colts

2008 Cardinals

2006 Bears

2004 Eagles

2002 Buccaneers

2002 Raiders

2001 Rams

1999 Titans

1998 Falcons

1995 Cowboys

1994 Chargers

1993 Bills

1991 Redskins

1988 Bengals

1982 Dolphins

1976 Vikings

1969 Chiefs

1968 Jets

1965 Browns

1957 Lions

never Jaguars

never Titans

Titans lost narrowly to the rams in the 1999 season superbowl.

Oops, I see you have therm there. and then listed at the bottom as never, too....

Archived