THE BROWNS BOARD

Worilds collide ... Steeler retires

The Gipper

If it seems that the Browns are likely to lose Jabaal Sheard to FA, then imo we would need to replace him. Maybe the Browns FO thinks that Mingo will finally step up to start, or that they will get a replacement in the draft......but I kind of operate under the philosophy that when you lose a valued player to free agency that you replace him by picking up a comparable....or perhaps even better player in FA.

My other philosophy is to strengthen yourself by weakening your enemy, and to fulfill both philosophies I suggest the Browns consider signing Jason Worilds from Steelers. He is a UFA, he is only 27....and is probably comparable to Sheard in production. He did fairly well in the Dick LeBeau system and now that LeBeau is gone he looks to be gone as well. Maybe he can be a fit in Pettine's defensive scheme.

Sure, Worild's is not the second coming of Lawrence Taylor, but he could be a stand in for Sheard. And I don't think signing him is a "major splash" in FA that the Browns want to avoid. And it takes a player away from the Steelers.

Any takers?

Edit: I note that the Browns are also looking at Trent Cole....though he is defined as a DE, not an OLB, would he be the guy to replace Sheard? He is 5 years older than Worilds.

Worilds would be a nice add, though it's feeling like it's gonna be Trent Cole.....

well....looks like I was wrong on this one, as they are saying Cole's going to Indy.......

which works with me, cause he looked a LOT like Sheard to my eye......and, if we're picking another 4-3 backer to play in the 3-4, then Id rather just stick with Sheard.....

Though Id prefer Worilds to both of them.....

If Shelton is already gone and Dupree (3-4 OLB) is still there, I bet we take him @ 12 and count on either Brown or Goldman @ 19 for our DT. I am under the assumption that Beasley, Ray, Gregory and Fowler are already gone by 12.

If Shelton is already gone and Dupree (3-4 OLB) is still there, I bet we take him @ 12 and count on either Brown or Goldman @ 19 for our DT. I am under the assumption that Beasley, Ray, Gregory and Fowler are already gone by 12.

Not a chance. It will be Brown all the way. At least, if our front office has seen what I've seen from Dupree it will be Malcolm at 12.

What a strange day kids

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 2m

Former Steelers pass rusher Jason Worilds is retiring from the game per a release by his agents. Several teams wanted him in free agency....

Seriously? WTF is that all about. As noted, he is only 27. I don't remember if he has been suffering injuries has he?

While it takes him out of the mix for us, it also removes him from the Steelers roster. Is that addition by subtraction (for us?)

Locker... now Worilds.

Two is a coincidence...

When you already have more than enough money and the game you love begins to seem more like a business, some players are going to walk.

Locker... now Worilds.

Two is a coincidence...

When you already have more than enough money and the game you love begins to seem more like a business, some players are going to walk.

Locker's injury situation....and perhaps to elongate his career playing baseball.....where 300+ pounders aren't regularly out there trying to take your head off make his decision understandable. What is the story behind Worilds? (though I still think his situation is reversible....James Harrison retired and came back at an older age than he)

I understand that Worilds quit for religious reasons and is entering the Witness protection prograM or something.

I honestly don't know who is left to play LB for Pgh. It is usually a strong position for them but the present herd is really really thin.

They have Shazier, Arthur Moats.....is Timmons still a Steeler? And, James Harrison hasn't said he is going to retire again.

They have Shazier, Arthur Moats.....is Timmons still a Steeler? And, James Harrison hasn't said he is going to retire again.

Timmons is still very much a steeler and we have Jarvis Jones. I expect Harrison to sign post training camp. The steelers were out in force at bud Dupree's pro day. Tomlin, Colbert and porter. I expect them to make a play to get Keenan lewis back which could open up another outside backer in round one. I expect olb or corner but the steelers rarely factor need in heavily.

The Steelers always seem to be wild cards with their drafting. I don't think anyone on my primary board and myself included saw the Shazier pick coming. I fully expected Dennard WHICH would have been a need based selection. The Steelers just don't draft based on need they draft based on their board and their board is almost always best available player. I don't believe Collins will be the best player available at 22. I also don't believe we'll draft a safety. Most of the mocks are overlooking Shark as the replacement to Polamalu. We still have Robert Golden and Will Allen as solid back ups and we signed Mitchell last season. I think Mitchell is better suited at SS so if Polamalu does in fact retire (I'm not certain he's going to, but we'll see) Mitchell will go to SS and I believe Shark will play FS. I also won't be shocked if we trade for Keenan Lewis as he wants out of New Orleans and is supposedly on the block.

EDIT: Most of the fan base is leaning corner BUT that could all change if Keenan Lewis ends up back in Pittsburgh

So, Vag.....what is the story behind the Worilds retirement?

No story, he just retired. He wanted a pretty substantial contract basically a million per sack is what one team rep said and no one wanted to give it to him so he retired. I'm guessing he felt risking his health was only worth so much and when he didn't get it. He decided to retire. I won't be shocked if he comes out of retirement. Either way there really is no other explanation.

No story, he just retired. He wanted a pretty substantial contract basically a million per sack is what one team rep said and no one wanted to give it to him so he retired. I'm guessing he felt risking his health was only worth so much and when he didn't get it. He decided to retire. I won't be shocked if he comes out of retirement. Either way there really is no other explanation.

Well, it seems like he didn't even want to field offers....so how did he know no one wanted to give it to him? (not that any would)

He was foolish for asking that much, but, I mean, how much money does he think he will make being an assistant coach for a High School team?

Well, it seems like he didn't even want to field offers....so how did he know no one wanted to give it to him? (not that any would)

He was foolish for asking that much, but, I mean, how much money does he think he will make being an assistant coach for a High School team?

Our guard Ramon foster said he doesn't care about leaving money on the table but he was only going to continue playing for a certain amount. The New York Giants and the Eagles were both interested and said he wanted too much. The steelers obviously felt the same or they would have offered him a contract.

Our guard Ramon foster said he doesn't care about leaving money on the table but he was only going to continue playing for a certain amount. The New York Giants and the Eagles were both interested and said he wanted too much. The steelers obviously felt the same or they would have offered him a contract.

In other words, he's a fucking dumbass? Either that or he thinks that by "holding out" someone will be desperate enough to meet his price?

While I think he was a decent player, he was not all that and a bag of chips. He was at best the third best LB for the Steelers, fair to say? Or, maybe, the new DC there just doesn't see him fitting his system?

Sorry, but I still have the feeling that the whole "retirement" thing is a ploy.

In other words, he's a fucking dumbass? Either that or he thinks that by "holding out" someone will be desperate enough to meet his price?

While I think he was a decent player, he was not all that and a bag of chips. He was at best the third best LB for the Steelers, fair to say? Or, maybe, the new DC there just doesn't see him fitting his system?

Sorry, but I still have the feeling that the whole "retirement" thing is a ploy.

I agree that he was just a decent player but weird stuff has been happening this off season. Patrick Willis retired, Borland who has one season under his belt and a strong one at that retired because he fears a brain injury. Worilds could have improved upon his resume if he stuck around. He wasn't rushed a lot last season and really he played on the transition tag because of one productive season. Personally I'm pretty indifferent on the guy. I'd have been okay if we resigned him to a fair contract but also okay if he was let go. I really couldn't care less that he retired and because of those sentiments I agree 100% with you. Its a weird situation for a guy that was just solid, not great or amazing..not bad. Just solid. I won't be shocked if he comes out of retirement and if he didn't play on the transition tag at almost 10m I bet he wouldn't have but he was able to make SOME money. Hell more than several people make in a lifetime. If he's smart he can make that work for a long, long time.

Archived