THE BROWNS BOARD

New York Times says Veterans more likely to become White Supremacists

Fit to Print? NY Times Op-Ed Links Returning Vets With KKK, White Supremacists

041814_North.jpg

BY FOX NEWS INSIDER //

APR 18 2014 // 11:28AM

AS SEEN ON FOX AND FRIENDS

Anger is brewing among service members and veterans groups after the publication of a New York Times op-ed that tries to link veterans and white supremacists. The piece came just days after a 73-year-old white supremacist and veteran, Frazier Glenn Miller, was arrested in an attack that killed three people at a Jewish center in Overland Park, Kansas.

Billboards Featuring American Soldier, Muslim Woman Stir Controversy

Does Army Consider Christians, Tea Party, a Terror Threat?

In the column, op-ed contributor Kathleen Belew writes:

In 2009, the Department of Homeland Security issued a nine-page report detailing the threat of domestic terrorism by the white power movement. This short document outlined no specific threats, but rather a set of historical factors that had predicted white-supremacist activity in the past — like economic pressure, opposition to immigration and gun-control legislation — and a new factor, the election of a black president.

The report singled out one factor that has fueled every surge in Ku Klux Klan membership in American history, from the 1860s to the present: war. The return of veterans from combat appears to correlate more closely with Klan membership than any other historical factor. “Military veterans facing significant challenges reintegrating into their communities could lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lone wolf extremists carrying out violent attacks,” the report warned. The agency was “concerned that right-wing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to boost their violent capabilities.”

The report raised intense blowback from the American Legion, Fox News and conservative members of Congress. They demanded an apology and denounced the idea that any veteran could commit an act of domestic terrorism. The department shelved the report, removing it from its website. The threat, however, proved real.

She noted that Miller served two tours in Vietnam before setting up a KKK-affilated organization in North Carolina called the White Patriot Party. Miller was outspoken in his hatred of Jews, and is said to have operated a website dedicated to anti-Semitism and neo-Nazism.

The column has outraged veterans, including Fox News military analyst Col. Oliver North (Ret.) who reacted this morning on Fox and Friends. Steve Doocy asked whether it's really accurate to make people think that our nation's veterans "go off to war and then come back and join the Klan."

North called the column "unconscionable," and asked where the outrage is from leaders in Washington.

"Where is the outrage from the Secretary of Veterans Affairs? Where is the outrage from the Department of Defense? Why hasn't the Secretary of Defense demanded a retraction? How about the Commander-in-Chief, who ought to be standing up for the troops?"

North called out the Obama administration for putting out the 2009 DHS "hit piece" that sought to warn Americans about the dangers posed by returning veterans. He pointed out numerous examples of skewed coverage from the Left, saying outlets like the New York Times have cast the military in a bad light over the last 13 years, just as they did during the Vietnam War.

"Those who serve in our military today, Steve, are our best and bravest of their generation. They are just like their parents who were part of that 'Greatest Generation' who went off and did their duty in the words of Tom Brokaw. And they never got the thanks that they deserved. And what happened to our Vietnam veterans should never have happened. It shouldn't be happening now. We ought to get down on our knees over Easter weekend and thank God that we have people willing to serve our country in a time of great divisiveness," said North.

Watch the fiery remarks in the video above and let us know your thoughts!

I'm serious. How is this any different than saying X% of the population commits >X% of the crime or w/e?

Assuming there is accurate statistical analysis behind it, how is this different? It is just mentioning a statistic.

Don't get all emotional now, only libs do tat.

I'm serious. How is this any different than saying X% of the population commits >X% of the crime or w/e?

Assuming there is accurate statistical analysis behind it, how is this different? It is just mentioning a statistic.

Don't get all emotional now, only libs do tat.

Because, in this country, it is not a crime nor is it dangerous to anyone else to be a white supremacist.

It is, on the other hand, dangerous to everyone who lives here if one demographic commits an overabundance amount of violent crime.

It isn't against the law to be an a****** even though some people think that it should be.

WSS

Alright.

But how is out wrong to say veterans are more likely to become white supremacists? That seems to be the issue here but it is based off of the same logic that says African Americans commit more crime. No one here seems to have an issue with that statement.

It is just the same statistical correlation. Crime could be dangerous and being a white supremacist could not be, but the reason to both here is the same.

Odd, When I was in the AF, there were guys of every color all over the place.

So, they're saying that white and black and tan veterans are more likely to

be white supremists?

Sounds like just another leftist "I'm not 'X', you all are, and means you all are bad" crap.

Sounds like just another leftist "I'm not 'X', you all are, and means you all are bad" crap.

Cal, that is literally your entire political ideology.

Holy shit, are you that dense?

and again, this is no different than referencing any other statistic. Go to that awful "black culture" thread. Same exact thing. Except we have some on here getting all emotional over it.... which I thought only libs did?

woodypeckerhead translation:

"I can't keep up with the guys on this forum, so I'll

just launch an indignant sarcastic retort to try to

make somebody think I'm not a woodypeckhead"

Sounds like just another leftist "I'm not 'X', you all are, and means you all are bad" crap. Me

I don't see much in the way of trying to denigrate liberals groups as evil,

as I really do with the left.

Patriot Americans are bad. Gun owners are bad. Suv owners are bad. People who believe in

small gov are bad. Veterans are bad, and more likely to be white supremists. Everybody who

is a Republican and didn't vote for ObaMao are racists. The list goes on and on. Everybody who

understands that marriage is only between a man and a woman is bad. Everybody who is religious, is bad.

People who cling to their guns and religion are bad. People with a lot of money are bad.

People who criticize Obamao for anything are bad. People who won't agree that mmgw is a horrific,

immediate next year kind of horror...are bad. On and on.

Meanwhile, conservatives just want to be left the hell alone and have liberals like woodypeckerhead

mind their own damn business for the first time.

woodypeckerhead translation:

"I can't keep up with the guys on this forum, so I'll

just launch an indignant sarcastic retort to try to

make somebody think I'm not a woodypeckhead"

Yes, you are an idiot. Yes, you know you are a hypocritical fuck. I see why you do this little "translation" game. It frees you up from having to respond to something you know you're wrong about.

You know cal some veterans are liberals. The horror. The horror...

Just to further the point:

DECORATED LIBERAL VETERANS.... Larry Sabato probably just thought he was extending a compliment to Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.). Sabato, the director of the University of Virginia's Center for Politics and an oft-quoted pundit, noted today that Webb was not satisfied with the legislative process during the health care reform debate.

Sabato added that Webb isn't a "liberal caricature."

"Ever met a liberal who's won a Navy Cross for heroism, a Silver Star, 2 Bronze Stars, 2 Purple Hearts?"

Now, I realize that Twitter's 140-character limit can be constraining, and perhaps Sabato didn't intend to suggest liberals can't be decorated war heroes, but his observation rubs the wrong way precisely because of the outdated "caricatures" that linger.

Have we ever met decorated liberal war heroes? You bet we have. There's John Kerry. And Daniel Inouye. And Max Cleland, Wes Clark, and Chuck Rangel. And the Fighting Dems in Congress, and VoteVets.org.

The persistence of this myth -- that somehow there's an incompatibility between progressive politics and heroic military service -- has gone on too long. I still remember a David Broder column from three years ago when he said attendees to the Democratic National Committee's winter meeting don't "have much experience with, or sympathy for, the military." What was the smear of Democrats based on? Nothing but lazy assumptions.

It's tiresome. Haven't we gotten past this notion by now?

—Steve Benen

Source: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2010_04/023162.php

what I thought was an article by the Washington Post ( your link) is actually the "Washington monthly"

quick to defend the service record of the "notable democrats" like Kerry Rangle and the late Inouye, I say that it IS NOT baseless to

smear such a group of phonies in congress who actually preside over legislation that effectively stripped away some of our servicemen and womens benefits ....

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Alright.
But how is out wrong to say veterans are more likely to become white supremacists? That seems to be the issue here but it is based off of the same logic that says African Americans commit more crime. No one here seems to have an issue with that statement.
WOODYPECKERHEAD
Stats. The number of blacks in prisons, the rate of crime in black neighborhoods. Gangsta rap, for cryin out loud.
When I was in the service, woodypeckerhead, there were many blacks enlisted. many. From all walks of life - ghetto gang
environments, nice neighborhoods....just like whites and latinos. etc etc etc. If you were the type of person to be
a white supremist nutjob... you wouldn't last four years in the service, I think.
Again, butt of the board woodypeckerhead, you have never been in the service.
And, btw, woodypeckerhead, you said "But how is out wrong"...really? HAHAHAHA. You are the idiot. You do this
a lot of the time. You don't have enough experience in life to say much on a lot of subjects - you have no clue
about life, you don't know your history, and you really are the butt of this board.

Kerry ? Rangle ? Kerry was one of the phoniest dipsticks in the service - was there

to gain political popularity like JFK did.

Only JFK was the real deal. Kerry was a coward, a liar, and was only in it to pretend

he was a JFK long enough to get a political career going.

Rangle is just another knucklehead riding on the black liberal wave of politics. Has serious

trouble being honest outside of that.

You are smart enough to discern the point.

I am sir. I was just hoping the point was something a little more interesting then hey wait a minute there are liberals in the service too... Yes I realize that. Many of which, especially those in politics, choose that direction as a form of advancement. Completely understandable. Power and ambition usually Trump dedication to ideology.

and you are smart enough to understand that stating a few exceptions to every rule, well, you know.

I try never to use words like every or all just because it's too easy to get trapped into these things.

WSS

I am sir. I was just hoping the point was something a little more interesting then hey wait a minute there are liberals in the service too... Yes I realize that. Many of which, especially those in politics, choose that direction as a form of advancement. Completely understandable. Power and ambition usually Trump dedication to ideology.

and you are smart enough to understand that stating a few exceptions to every rule, well, you know.

I try never to use words like every or all just because it's too easy to get trapped into these things.

WSS

I was expanding on Cyskos comment to Cal, who, unlike you, often used words like every and all. So really, it wasn't addressed to you.

I would take exception with calling these a few exceptions to the rule, however. A Gallup Poll shows that while veterans skew Republican, the margin is only 5%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/118684/military-veterans-ages-tend-republican.aspx

Archived