THE BROWNS BOARD

COSMOS reboot tonight at 9 on Fox

VaporTrail

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite all time science was/is geology. Always have been fascinated with rocks, etc.

Had intro biology 1,2,3 and two genetics classes in the service, before I decided to give it up on advice that said physicians assistants

weren't going to exist much in civilian life....biology is cool.

Chemistry sucks. I don't know why, ...it just does. I enjoyed it over the years I worked in R&D, ...

But this new show? I think I can't miss it. Thanks for the heads up on it, looks awesome. (a lot of shows

with great graphics are fun with a big plasma screen and home theater system....)

I'd like to watch, but 9 P.M. is pretty late for me.....one of those early to bed, early to rise types. It doesn't matter what time I go to bed, I wake up around 4:15 A.M. every day. By 8-8:30 I am ready to call it a day.

I was rivited with the origional back in 82 or whenever it first aired.

I have two telescopes. A 80 mm Mead refractor, and a Celestron 8" SC.

I'd like to watch, but 9 P.M. is pretty late for me.....one of those early to bed, early to rise types. It doesn't matter what time I go to bed, I wake up around 4:15 A.M. every day. By 8-8:30 I am ready to call it a day.

I can relate. And happy belated birthday by the way.

When do you use the telescopes if nine is late for you?

When do you use the telescopes if nine is late for you?

I don't use them much anymore, every now and then. As Chris suggested, early morning was always my prefered gazing hours. Winter is also the best time to view. Here in the south, heat shimmer can be a problem in the summer. Cold air is denser so you have a better refraction index...and in the winter it is dark way before 9PM.

I watched it, if anyone has any questions I can try to clarify.

I had two issues with the episode. The first, I can understand based on the target audience, and maybe they'll do it before the series is over, but I would have liked to see more of an explanation of the process of Hydrogen and Helium fusing into other elements as stars were born. This might be outside the scope of the show, though and you could easily lose a few hours talking about the process.

My second issue was on how he described the multiverse theory. I don't think he put enough emphasis on how it is purely theoretical.

It was about Evolution & Natural and Artificial Selection. Not that I care but, the show seems to have an anti-creationist in your face undertone to it.

It's a science show - what did you expect?

Did you watch it? I'm really not offended by it at all I just think it's kind of funny that Tyson seems to have this smirk on his face every time he mentions something that opposes creationism. And there was a moment when he was talking about a specific scientific fact and he made it a point to emphasize that it was indisputable. Like, he was kind of saying religion is BS without actually saying it. At another point in the show they made it a point to use a catch word like spirit or spirituality, sort of to make amends to not come off too bad. Saying he doesn't believe in God but he is spiritual without saying any of it.

nope, not being shown here except on NatGeo and I don't get the channel. Might find a way to obtain it though. But really, did you expect them to just tiptoe around anything disagreeing with religion?

No, see that's just the thing... if the show was just straight Science I don't think it'd be weird at all. But with it being on Fox prime time Sunday night I think they took into account that it might offend some people and it makes it kind of awkward. Maybe it's just all in my head but I definitely think there is something there, as where similar subjects that Nova covers sometimes don't come off that way to me.

You can watch full episodes on their site.

http://www.cosmosontv.com/

After Googling I came across a Huffington Post article titled "Cosmos Squashes Creationism Under the Weight of Evidence".. what a jackass. I also read that some station in Oklahoma edited out the evolution segment. LOL

So I think they subtly made it that way intentionally to make it more controversial for publicity.

I will watch the episode later, but I don't get what you expect him to do. Should he not present the evidence we have for evolution because those that believe something without any evidence to back it up will be offended?

Maybe it just seems offensive because it is basically saying we know more now then we did thousands of years ago and we are pretty damn positive this is how it happened. It is basically saying you are wrong, without actually saying it.

I will have to watch it, but I really doubt they are in anyone's face about it. If they are though, I would be totally cool with it :)

Also, lol at Oklahoma

After Googling I came across a Huffington Post article titled "Cosmos Squashes Creationism Under the Weight of Evidence".. what a jackass. I also read that some station in Oklahoma edited out the evolution segment. LOL

So I think they subtly made it that way intentionally to make it more controversial for publicity.

In many areas in the country, children are receiving an "education" where they learn that the human eye is perfect design from an intelligent creator. This is a common argument from the point of view of intelligent design, and it's included in the show to directly challenge it. A major reason this show exists is to get kids who are being taught such things to question them.

As I saw it, he said how we came to be was a mystery.

and then showed whatshisname's video on evolution. Which I think was ridiculous.

Not very convincing.

Not available in the UK.

As I saw it, he said how we came to be was a mystery.

and then showed whatshisname's video on evolution. Which I think was ridiculous.

Not very convincing.

The things we don't know currently are how life originally started on this planet, and what caused the big bang. Quite big existential questions, to be fair. But what we do know is mostly everything after the two events, in terms of how the universe was shaped, how stars and planets are formed etc. and how plants and animals evolved.

I've seen Tyson talking before about this stuff and he's very frank when it comes to saying this - science can't explain those two things with any degree of certainty. There are some ideas, sure, but none that stand up to the rigours of scientific method. What he, and most scientists, will then say, is that we don't know *yet* - and continue to look for evidence that suggests ideas that can be tested. Very few will give up at that point and proclaim it was god.

So I finally got round to watching this. It was really good and very interesting, but I found it quite condescending at times, especially the 'ship of the imagination' - but then I guess it's aimed more at kids, especially given the cartoon aspects (which I liked, to be fair).

I see what you mean, BNB, about it looking like him trying to get one over religion. It did come across very smug the way he was talking about those aspects. But I suspect that Fox probably wouldn't allow him to directly contradict the bible, and so he ended up basically saying "science is right, that other thing some people believe isn't - you know what I mean ;)"

I just watched it yesterday. I thought the part about the eye was great; it's a direct challenge to those who would argue that the intricacy and perfection of the eye is evidence against evolution. I personally loved the line, "There's no shame in admitting what you don't know. The only shame is pretending you have all the answers."

Chris, the ship of the imagination was a construct from Carl Sagan's Cosmos. It provides a (somewhat silly) way to have a narrator standing at the edge of the universe or inside the nucleus of a cell.

Archived