THE BROWNS BOARD

New Spew Thread About Colt Mccoy

miktoxic

so it's boring as shit within weeks of training camp so i thought i'd throw this up in here just to stir the pot. there was a link from a bleacher report article with the title following. i found it really interesting is the responses to the article's title from fans and anti-fans. but they are all worth looking at and responding to.

28 Responses to “Colt McCoy doesn’t know whether he’ll get a fair shot at starting job”

tfbuckfutter says: Jul 7, 2012 12:07 AM

I’d say 21 starts over 2 seasons qualifies as a “fair” shot at being the starting QB going into this season….

At least Brandon has the benefit of mystery on his side.

doggpound4ever says: Jul 7, 2012 12:12 AM

they should keep him. you never know. we could need him. have you seen our schedule.

anarchopurplism says: Jul 7, 2012 12:36 AM

Sounds like he needs a beer to cry in

hikohadon says: Jul 7, 2012 12:59 AM

What can we do to get this kid to shut up? Water torture? Pull out his fingernails? Make him watch “Friends”? Anything to stop the “Poor Me” media pity party.

ezg1 says: Jul 7, 2012 1:13 AM

Never let it be said that Colt doesn’t have a “keen sense of awareness!

geraldthecat says: Jul 7, 2012 1:35 AM

Keep him until you have something better anyway.

t16rich says: Jul 7, 2012 1:43 AM

doggpound4ever says:

Jul 7, 2012 12:12 AM

they should keep him. you never know. we could need him. have you seen our schedule.

Hahahaha, best comment and so true. When you play the Steelers and Ravens twice a year, you might need an extra QB.

marjax says: Jul 7, 2012 1:52 AM

Simple case of “fair” not necessarily meaning “equal.” Will he get an equal opportunity to win the starting job? No. He certainly won’t get as many snaps as Weeden, or as much time with the 1st stringers, all that jazz. Is it fair? Yes. If he had been able to show any semblance of progressing into an elite quarterback, he would have earned those snaps away from Brandon. His back was already against the wall, being through two disappointing seasons without much growth to show for it.

What truly wasn’t fair was expecting this kid to be able to handle a rookie season where his coach gave him the cold shoulder, and then completely missing any sort of adequate prep time for a whole new offense and scheme heading into his second year. That wasn’t fair.

This offseason though? Yeah, that’s fair. You can’t argue he earned anything more than what he’s getting — an opportunity to turn heads and change minds about how this is not the best fit for him.

hrdcorbengalsfan says: Jul 7, 2012 1:58 AM

Cleveland treats their own in usual fashion!

jordangarnett says: Jul 7, 2012 2:16 AM

Colt McCoy is not a bad qb he’s stuck in a horrible franchise

pftfollower says: Jul 7, 2012 5:20 AM

Can someone explain how Weeden is “ready”?

Seems that with his age, “he has to be ready” has turned into “ready”. He’s 28, that does not negate the fact that he is a Rookie.

He has never faced NFL competition, and only played in college like the rest.

I also think people are forgetting the defenses that roam that division. He is in for a very rude awakening.

cserisey says: Jul 7, 2012 6:01 AM

They Should keep him, but they won’t. And I have a feeling at some point in the season, they will wish they had. He ain’t never gonna be great, but he’s a better, cheaper backup than Seneca Wallace.

I’ve been a Browns fan for 52 years. If there is a way to screw this up, they will find it.

blasphemerr says: Jul 7, 2012 6:53 AM

It’s the browns dude, take your exist and run.

brownsapologist says: Jul 7, 2012 6:59 AM

It also doesn’t take a genius to figure out that we’ll need him ready week 1. I can’t remember the last time we made it a full season with just 1 QB. Whether he starts or not, he’ll be playing. And I doubt he’ll just be taking a knee at the end of blowouts.

stew48 says: Jul 7, 2012 7:50 AM

With the talent that has surrounded McCoy, I think it impossible to judge his value. Of course,”The Whiner” Holmgen will be the one who decides. So far, Cleveland fans have been much too patient; Seattle fans must be snickering.

talkintrashallday says: Jul 7, 2012 8:27 AM

fightin over the Browns starting QB job and like fighting to get the best seat on the Titanic…

pftcensorssuck says: Jul 7, 2012 8:37 AM

If Colt McCoy was unquestionably the best quarterback on the Cleveland Browns, this wouldn’t be a topic for question.

Nuff said.

kingcarlbanks says: Jul 7, 2012 9:33 AM

As a football fan, i know that every team s going to have ups and downs throughout its history, but man, it’s been a looong time since the Brownies have been anywhere near good. I don’t think a change of quarterback is really gonna help the Browns that much. This team needs a total offensive overhaul. Richardson was a good start, but they should have tried to sign Vincent Jackson, and a couple of other WR’s and a TE..

clu1perceiver says: Jul 7, 2012 9:33 AM

Hikohadon, it’s not like McCoy holds daily press conferences. Other than ans. “No Comment” to every media inquiry he can’t control .

ernie ernie says: Jul 7, 2012 9:40 AM

What a shocker. A QB worried that a newbie on the team will get his job. Start the presses!

Aaron Rogers,Manning and others don’t have this fear. Why? They’re good.

ClevelandFan says: Jul 7, 2012 9:55 AM

Yes, of course…. The Browns used a 1st round draft choice on a 29 year old QB so that there could be a “fair” competiton for the starting position. Unless Weeden totally reeks beyond all reason , he is going to start. The Fat Guy In The Front Office did not draft him to hold on extra points for Phil Dawson.

snowpea84 says: Jul 7, 2012 10:07 AM

His fair shot came over the last couple of years.

pspring63 says: Jul 7, 2012 10:42 AM

Let’s not throw all the dirt on the Browns’ front office for how they’ve handled Colt. As many previous posts have alluded, McCoy is not a premier quarterback in any sense of the word. If Colt was the end-all-be-all emerging from his college career at Texas or even if his “ceiling” was thought to be enormous then all the other 31 teams who had a shot at him not once (first round), but twice (second round) then he would be with another team right now. Let’s just put him in the quarterback corral and when his turn comes then we shall see.

arcaero says: Jul 7, 2012 10:53 AM

From everything I have read locally, McCoy has had his chances in OTAs and minicamp. But when you are a barely 6’1″, average armed 3rd year man standing right next to a tall, mature 28 year old, strong-armed, quick-releasing, and accurate rookie in Weeden, the competition has already been on. Colt must understand that.

Also, from everything I have read, McCoy has been McCoy, and Weeden has not disappointed.

So maybe McCoy starts the first preseason game, is pulled after the first series, and Weeden gets to run with the ones for two quarters to see how he looks against NFL competition? The Browns already know what McCoy looks like against NFL competition.

By the way, congrats for rehashing the same story and getting me to comment on it.

realitypolice says: Jul 7, 2012 11:33 AM

He may get a fair shot to come out of camp as the starter (doubtful but possible) but unless he plays like Joe Montana, at some point Weeden is going to play.

That’s the reality of first round draft picks. They are going to get their shot, period.

marjax says: Jul 7, 2012 2:21 PM

@kingcarlbanks brilliant plan. Lets just sign some random WR’s regardless of scheme and system, and throw some TE’s in too despite having FOUR on the team right now that deserve playing time.

I don’t think V Jax was ever on the radar. Say what you will about how the Browns have run things since they’ve come back, I guarantee YOU sir would do more damage than anyone else has.

oldcracker says: Jul 7, 2012 4:18 PM

Does it really matter? Until the Browns can find someone who can catch and hold on to the ball, it doesn’t really matter. (GM Heckert doesn’t think that is a NEED for the Browns. So, it looks like no help in the near future either.)

With the monster they picked up for the Right Tackle position, at least Weeden will have a little more time than Colt had last year.

It will be interesting to see what Richardson brings to the Browns, until the defenses load up the box.

Same old Browns.

hikohadon says: Jul 7, 2012 6:36 PM

Hikohadon, it’s not like McCoy holds daily press conferences. Other than ans. “No Comment” to every media inquiry he can’t control .

it's the varying views and comments from impartial football fans that get me laughing such as: "hey colt it's cleveland hit the exit door and kick holmgren in the nuts on the way out the door!" (paraphrasing.)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a62d67/article/colt-mccoy-not-sure-hell-get-a-fair-shot-in-cleveland

The Cleveland Browns drafted Brandon Weeden to play the role of a big-armed, franchise quarterback on a team that's gone without one for decades.

It's evident where this leaves Colt McCoy in the equation -- a trade feels imminent -- but the team has said repeatedly that last year's starter will be given a chance to compete for the job. McCoy, on Friday, didn't sound so sure.

"We'll see, I don't know," McCoy told KXAN-TV at his annual football camp in Austin, Texas. "There are a lot of things I can control and I'm controlling those things. The things beyond that I try to do my best to not worry about those and go out there and do what I do on the field, that's the most important thing. Beyond that, I can't do anything else."

McCoy is next in a long line of young quarterbacks to toil under an organization continually in search of itself. Entering his third season in the league, he's worked with two head coaches, a pair of offensive coordinators and one of the least impressive receiver groups in the NFL. Throw in the lockout for good measure, and few young quarterbacks would flourish in that environment.

From another angle, team president Mike Holmgren -- who knows a little something about the quarterback position -- has been tasked with turning this franchise around. He's two seasons in, with nine wins to show for it, meaning his search for a signal-caller presses on. Until one is found, preventing hurt feelings aren't a top priority in Cleveland.

It sounds to me like he's really handling the press rather well...more Browns fans DRAMA...surprising...

He also implies in that article that he wants to be with the browns even as a backup, and that he wants to be along for the ride.

I don't think colt as a backup is going to be a problem. Is sure as hell rather have him backing weeden up than seneca.

^+1. The Browns could do a lot worse than McCoy as the backup QB.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a visiting Redskins fan.

I'm just curious about how Browns fans feel about Colt McCoy and Mike Holmgren.

From the outside looking in it seems like McCoy had potential but only produced to the level of the talent around and scheme around him.

And thanks to Holmgren/Shurmur the talent and the coaching wasn't very good.

And now it seems like they're tieing their lack of success around Colt McCoy's neck to shift the blame away from themselves.

I find the differing perceptions between Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford interesting.

Other then McCoy playing in a much more difficult division their career production this far has been similar if not identical.

Yet McCoy is getting the axe as a starter and Bradford is entering this seasonn as the unquestioned starter.

Must be good to be a 1st round pick and benefit from being perceived as a franchise QB.

bradford had some of the same problems surrounding him that mccoy had last year. no protection and no talent (other than steven jackson) .

hell i couldn't even tell you who the ram's #1 receiver is, just like i doubt anyone could tell you the name of the browns #1.

all i know is that under the guidance of pat shurmur neither progressed. instead they regressed.

holmgren is just a FOM (fat old man) collecting a paycheck and bringing along some of his friends for a ride.

i know he means the best for the team but he is set in his old ways and won't change for nuthin. and the thing with drafting a qb every year bugs the piss out of me.

no. pissed off.

don't worry choco we'll all be shiny happy people at the end of the year, just like you are today.

i guess in your world no one is held accountable for anything. must be nice.

bradford had some of the same problems surrounding him that mccoy had last year. no protection and no talent (other than steven jackson) .

hell i couldn't even tell you who the ram's #1 receiver is, just like i doubt anyone could tell you the name of the browns #1.

all i know is that under the guidance of pat shurmur neither progressed. instead they regressed.

holmgren is just a FOM (fat old man) collecting a paycheck and bringing along some of his friends for a ride.

i know he means the best for the team but he is set in his old ways and won't change for nuthin. and the thing with drafting a qb every year bugs the piss out of me.

You got it wrong Mik. He is not a FOM. He is a FORM (FAT OLD RICH MAN).

The difference is Bradford has the ideal arm and size for the nfl..

So, if McCoy had what you perceive to be ideal arm and nfl size you would be okay with not drafting Weeden and keeping him as your starter?

Also, if Bradford has the ideal arm and size why hasn't he been significantly more productive then McCoy thus far in their careers?

I am a visiting Redskins fan.

I'm just curious about how Browns fans feel about Colt McCoy and Mike Holmgren.

From the outside looking in it seems like McCoy had potential but only produced to the level of the talent around and scheme around him.

And thanks to Holmgren/Shurmur the talent and the coaching wasn't very good.

And now it seems like they're tieing their lack of success around Colt McCoy's neck to shift the blame away from themselves.

Well, the powers that be, Holmgren and Shurmur are loathe to blame themselves for their failures to provide talent to this team, thus they must find a scapegoat in McCoy....not that McCoy didn't give them ammo to use himself as the scapegoat. I personally put the blame 75/25, the 75 on Shurmur/H&H, half of the rest on McCoy, the other half on other offensive players.

Maybe Brandon Weeden will be much superior to Colt...he will need to be, because if they have another do nothing offense, then who will get the blame? A rookie QB/RB or the coach/GM/Pres.

I find the differing perceptions between Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford interesting.

Other then McCoy playing in a much more difficult division their career production this far has been similar if not identical.

Yet McCoy is getting the axe as a starter and Bradford is entering this seasonn as the unquestioned starter.

Must be good to be a 1st round pick and benefit from being perceived as a franchise QB.

Yes, I agree that quite frankly, there is little else to differentiate them.

So, if McCoy had what you perceive to be ideal arm and nfl size you would be okay with not drafting Weeden and keeping him as your starter?

Also, if Bradford has the ideal arm and size why hasn't he been significantly more productive then McCoy thus far in their careers?

Because he ain't really that much better?

wait a minute. so you're saying bradford is a bust? their whole team has lacked (except at RB) talent ala the browns. their OL is terrible.

boy how soon you guys forget. wasn't he the one everyone was clamoring for sorta like luck and RGIII this year? i guess no one can evaluate talent in the NFL.

The difference is Bradford has the ideal arm and size for the nfl..

bradford is not that big..but his arm is decent.

Maybe Brandon Weeden will be much superior to Colt...he will need to be, because if they have another do nothing offense, then who will get the blame? A rookie QB/RB or the coach/GM/Pres.
Brandon Weeden has a lot going for him that Colt did not:

o Trent Richardson 'nuff said

o Brad Childress as OC instead of Pat Shurmur

o Mitchell Schwartz

o Josh Gordon

Lol....3 of those poibts are rookies....the other has only ever called plays one year of his career. Shurmur is more senior in that regard.

lol, i'm scratching my head as to what your point is....because the players I mentioned are rookies they can't help the Browns offense?

Your second point is flat out incorrect.

Brad Childress has not only called plays for more then 1 season he has more experience in coaching (even as a HC) then Pat Shurmur.

Get your facts straight.

is it really necessary to pull the articles to prove a point you should already know? its not like its little known secret in the NFL that chilly didn't call plays in philly...

ok...first of all....chilly is just a pair of eyes in the box. notice how shaw says he didn't call plays in philly?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/22/brad-childress-wont-call-the-plays-in-cleveland/

second, a little blurb about only calling plays in his rookie year.

ill post it so you can read it...very, very slowly.

Childress called the Vikings’ plays in 2006 before assigning those responsibilities to offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, who’s now with the Seattle Seahawks. Although Bevell assumed play-calling duties for the remainder of Childress’ tenure with the Vikings, Childress was heavily involved with the offense.

-> from http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/browns-hire-brad-childress-as-their-offensive-coordinator-1.272731

so what was that again you said about facts? are these "facts" supposed to be open for interpretation, or merely statements that one feels are correct even though they've done no research on the subject?

im trying not to be a dick, but try reading up before getting all contentious. these results were all from the first page of a google search....seems you dont know what you think you know.

wrt 3 rookies being weedens benefit? lets just say colt had a bunch of rookies too....and he sucked. point being, you dont depend on rookies. you hope....but it seems many are expecting things from these kids before even stepping on the field. cart before the horse, methinks.

wait a minute. so you're saying bradford is a bust? their whole team has lacked (except at RB) talent ala the browns. their OL is terrible.

boy how soon you guys forget. wasn't he the one everyone was clamoring for sorta like luck and RGIII this year? i guess no one can evaluate talent in the NFL.

I don't know what anyone else was saying, but I am saying that having watched Bradford and McCoy in college for the years they played I saw very little if any difference in their capability as a QB. And I think the answer is: they both may be capable of playing/even starting in the NFL, but I saw nothing that would say these guys are extra special and will become stars in the pros.

By the way, the same can be said about Matt Barkley of USC. Overhyped merely because he plays at USC. How well have those USC QBs done lately? Palmer had a few good years, but has been mediocre for longer. Leinert a backup at best. Sanchez....mediocre.

Honest, USC pales in comparison to either Cal or Stanford at producing NFL QBs.

Honest, USC pales in comparison to either Cal or Stanford at producing NFL QBs.

didn't they (NFL gurus) used to think the pac 12 produced the best QBs?

i know in your other post you listed the number of starting QBs in the NFL and it did show them at the top.

i couldn't tell you what QB from where will be this year's NCAA poster boy.

didn't they (NFL gurus) used to think the pac 12 produced the best QBs?

i know in your other post you listed the number of starting QBs in the NFL and it did show them at the top.

i couldn't tell you what QB from where will be this year's NCAA poster boy.

The Pac-10 does produce, still, some of the best QBs. See Andrew Luck.

As for this year's poster boy, as noted, they want to put Matt Barkley up there but I see him as poor man's Colt McCoy: good college QB, but his measurables are similar too or less than Colt's. Same height/weight, but Colt was faster and with a stronger arm...yep, a stronger arm. Who else might step up to be the QB poster boy of this college season? Some possibles:

Logan Thomas Va. Tech 6/6

Landry Jones Okla. 6/4

Tyler Wilson Ark. 6/3

Aaron Murray Georgia 6/1

EJ Manuel FSU 6/5

Tyler Bray Tenn. 6/6

Zac Dysert Miami, Oh. 6/4 (the new BR?)

Barkley is 6/2

A lot of these guys have good NFL QB height except Murray and Barkley. The ACC and SEC are well represented. Note: no Big 10 ers.

wrt 3 rookies being weedens benefit? lets just say colt had a bunch of rookies too....and he sucked. point being, you dont depend on rookies. you hope....but it seems many are expecting things from these kids before even stepping on the field. cart before the horse, methinks.

You know what?

I deserve the condescension in your reply.

I did not know that Bevell called the plays for the Vikes after 2006.

Which completely changes my opinion of Childress a playcaller.

I was clearly wrong on that point, not to mention being a jack arse about it.

My point was Weeden will have weapons that Colt McCoy did not which is quite obvious.

Now whether they pan out is another story.

But clearly 1st round pick/2nd round picks are drafted to make an immediate impact.

Dude, we're talking about Trent Richardson here.

And Schwartz was a 2nd rounder IIRC and 2nd round OL are expected to make an immediate impact.

Hey....im all about a fresh young team....been waiting quite some time for it to actually happen. Its like a mantra, yet circumstances rarely allow it to come to fruition. On paper, we look much improved.....but lets see some hitting before we get our hopes up. :)

On chilly....strangely enough, i think hes well suited for his role. If he were the strong headed playcaller like you thought, it may develop into internal strife with patty cakes. Being that hes sat behind reid in title only, offering perspective and opinion, he could very well be a great set of eyes up in the booth to provide the aerial viewpoint. Patty cakes has another set of eyes, hopefully ones that help get this offense moving.

Answers abkund soon enough.... ;)

Archived