THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Brock a keeper?

BrownsfaninPa

Its been a revolving door with the Browns and QB's since their return in 1999. If you look at the list of who have been a starter since 1999, its very embarrassing. And now this team has gone to another QB and Brock Osweiler could be a keeper for a positive way. Is Kessler going to survive a full season, will Brock be a back up? I only hope that both QB's can bring wins every game they play in.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been a revolving door with the Browns and QB's since their return in 1999. If you look at the list of who have been a starter since 1999, its very embarrassing. And now this team has gone to another QB and Brock Osweiler could be a keeper for a positive way. Is Kessler going to survive a full season, will Brock be a back up? I only hope that both QB's can bring wins every game they play in.

Or vice versa.....The Ostrich may be the starter and Kessler the backup. We shall see. I don't care either way as long as they are competitive.

Kessler played way better than him last year. Being injured and all. An improved Kessler with an improved line. Should be better than anything osweiler has done

I think that is highly subjective. Kessler went 0-8 as a starter. Ostrich won 8 games. I don't know about their stats....but will check them out."

The may be a bit of apples to oranges, but here they are for last year:

Osweiler:

14 starts 8-6 record as starter

301/510 for 59.5 completion pct

2957 yards

15 TDs

16 Ints.

5.8 yards per attempt

9.8 yards per completion

197.1 yards per game

72.2 QB rating

27 sacks

2 4th Qtr. comebacks

2 Game winning drives

Kessler:

8 starts 0-8

128/195 for 65.6 completion pct

1380 yards

6 TDs

2 Ints

7.1 yards per attempt

10.8 yards per completion

153.3 yards per game

92.3 rating

21 sacks

It seems a mixed bag of stats. In some B.O. had the better of it, in other Kessler did.

Ahhh NOPE..1st Titanic ship out to 1st caller during pre-season. fold my deck of cards at 16M. A 2018 2nd. A thank you for Zane Gonzalez. And we gave Houston the Card for Carlos Watkins..Bye!!(please rake your sand-traps & take the Cutler Tude with you)

Is Brock a keeper? Damned if I know... one decent year... one train wreck... does need a good one to average "average", but things don't work that way... not at QB... maybe in the stack market, a/k/a "reversion to the mean"... but not at QB.

I do have to say that I don't like the attitude he displayed in his interview yesterday. It screamed the opposite of "team leader" to me... which first required you be part of the team.

Is Brock a keeper? Damned if I know... one decent year... one train wreck... does need a good one to average "average", but things don't work that way... not at QB... maybe in the stack market, a/k/a "reversion to the mean"... but not at QB.

I do have to say that I don't like the attitude he displayed in his interview yesterday. It screamed the opposite of "team leader" to me... which first required you be part of the team.

I just watched the snippet on Browns.com and got the opposite read. Asked a question, gave answer, got a ridiculous redirect and shut it down. If that were me I would have asked that jack hole reporter how man hours of film he watched. Too often "reporters" get let off the hook for outrageous claims. On ATH the other day Plaschke got called out for saying he sees MLB teams fake rainouts all the time. When asked when was the last one he remembered, he couldn't answer he just smiled and said trust me all the time, bullshit.

Going into his fourth year in Denver I was ready to bail on him, but that preseason he flashed and it got me excited about the future and wanted to see more of him. Then the regular season came and it was a mixed bag. I kept waiting for it to all click for him after getting a couple games under him and have chemistry with the ones, but that never really came. People keep saying that Elway was ready to pay him starter money but really he wanted to pay him a split between starter and backup money on a prove-it deal, but we were in a tough spot without another option so that price went up. I thought Kessler flashed more than what I have seen from Brock. He just hasn't been a put it on my shoulders kind of guy, more of a I won't lose it for my team if they are superior to the opposition kind of guy. I think he provides good depth for you if Kizer isn't ready, but don't expect any more than that from him going into year 6 of his career. Hope I am wrong for your guys sake and it finally clicks for him, but he has been in the league for a while now even though people talk like he is a second/third year guy.

Good take...

Experience-wise, however, he is a "3rd-year guy". So the question is how many 3rd year guys who have only "flashed" to the point in their careers suddenly "get it"? Without checking I'm going to guess that's a pretty short list, but maybe our "system" is a better fit... so who knows?

So...

• What's the mood in Denver given their continuing QB choice of Siemian and Lynch going into 2017?
  • What's Kelly's (my official, 2017 "Darkhorse") timeline to see the practice field and the fan hopes for him?

There's a poll at cleveland.com on this below article with an account of the exchange...

Did Brock Osweiler react well to questions about his 2016 season? (poll)
Posted on May 25, 2017 at 7:27 AM
By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Brock Osweiler had his first meeting with local media Wednesday as a Browns quarterback. The 6-foot-7, sixth-year pro was polite and thoughtful with his answers. He had a good anecdote about learning of his trade to the Browns while standing in a sand trap on a golf course.

He surely knew questions would come about his struggles last season with the Texans. Although he was 8-6 as the starter, and the Texans made the playoffs, Osweiler completed just 56 percent of his passes, had 15 touchdowns to 16 interceptions and a QB rating of 72 percent.

That led to his being seen as a throw-in with a deal that gave the Browns a second-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

So on Wednesday, he was asked about those struggles. At first, he declined to talk about his relationship with the Texans. Then cleveland.com columnist Doug Lesmerises asked Osweiler about his 2016 performance. Here's how Lesmierises described the exchange on a story posted Wednesday:
When I asked Osweiler if he was good enough to be a starter in this league, regardless of the system, he said "absolutely."
Twice.

So ... why?

As Osweiler stood off to the side of the Browns practice fields in Berea after the second day of OTAs, in a drizzle and surrounded by Cleveland reporters, that's what mattered.

Why do you think you are good enough, when every bit of proof from your big chance last season would say otherwise?
"I think the proof is in the film for the past two years," Osweiler said.

That's the quote that went wild Tuesday, picked up and pasted across the web before we had even finished interviews with the rest of the players made available, including two other quarterbacks. And in the moment, you can't let it stand. It's not reality. The film, at last year, would tell you the opposite.

"Some people would say the proof's not in the film, from last year," I said.
"That's OK," Osweiler said, nodding.

What did you think about how Osweiler handled questions about last season? Was he right to insinuate that he played better than people think? Did you want him to answer those questions differently?

Check out the poll below and let us know what you think. You can explain your answer in the comment section.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/05/did_brock_osweiler_react_well.html#incart_river_index

So far over 70% of those who have voted could care less.

I did care, but it's getting so overblown now that I'm growing numb...

There's a poll at cleveland.com on this below article with an account of the exchange...

Did Brock Osweiler react well to questions about his 2016 season? (poll)

Posted on May 25, 2017 at 7:27 AM

By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Brock Osweiler had his first meeting with local media Wednesday as a Browns quarterback. The 6-foot-7, sixth-year pro was polite and thoughtful with his answers. He had a good anecdote about learning of his trade to the Browns while standing in a sand trap on a golf course.

He surely knew questions would come about his struggles last season with the Texans. Although he was 8-6 as the starter, and the Texans made the playoffs, Osweiler completed just 56 percent of his passes, had 15 touchdowns to 16 interceptions and a QB rating of 72 percent.

That led to his being seen as a throw-in with a deal that gave the Browns a second-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

So on Wednesday, he was asked about those struggles. At first, he declined to talk about his relationship with the Texans. Then cleveland.com columnist Doug Lesmerises asked Osweiler about his 2016 performance. Here's how Lesmierises described the exchange on a story posted Wednesday:

When I asked Osweiler if he was good enough to be a starter in this league, regardless of the system, he said "absolutely."

Twice.

So ... why?

As Osweiler stood off to the side of the Browns practice fields in Berea after the second day of OTAs, in a drizzle and surrounded by Cleveland reporters, that's what mattered.

Why do you think you are good enough, when every bit of proof from your big chance last season would say otherwise?

"I think the proof is in the film for the past two years," Osweiler said.

That's the quote that went wild Tuesday, picked up and pasted across the web before we had even finished interviews with the rest of the players made available, including two other quarterbacks. And in the moment, you can't let it stand. It's not reality. The film, at last year, would tell you the opposite.

"Some people would say the proof's not in the film, from last year," I said.

"That's OK," Osweiler said, nodding.

What did you think about how Osweiler handled questions about last season? Was he right to insinuate that he played better than people think? Did you want him to answer those questions differently?

Check out the poll below and let us know what you think. You can explain your answer in the comment section.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/05/did_brock_osweiler_react_well.html#incart_river_index

So far over 70% of those who have voted could care less.

I did care, but it's getting so overblown now that I'm growing numb...

I think you can count me among the ones that could care less. I care about what he is going to do for the Browns, not what he did for any other team. It sounds like this reporter just wanted to rag on him. Basically B.O.s response, as I see it was: think what you want...I am here to compete for the starting job for the Browns.

And that is all we need to know about...or care about.

<p>

Good take...

Experience-wise, however, he is a "3rd-year guy". So the question is how many 3rd year guys who have only "flashed" to the point in their careers suddenly "get it"? Without checking I'm going to guess that's a pretty short list, but maybe our "system" is a better fit... so who knows?

So...

• What's the mood in Denver given their continuing QB choice of Siemian and Lynch going into 2017?
  • What's Kelly's (my official, 2017 "Darkhorse") timeline to see the practice field and the fan hopes for him?
I just don't like the whole "experience wise" thing. There is a big difference in the time spent practicing in college vs pros. Yeah I wouldn't expect a third or fourth year guy that rode the bench his whole career to come in and light it up his first couple games, but after a handful you should know what you have (ie Cousins, although that's a little bit of a mixed bag too). He might not have the chemistry and quite have the internal clock of game-speed down, but he should know the plays, make the correct reads and all the other stuff. 1-2 year guys don't necessarily have that so they get a little longer leash. Maybe Brees or Warner as far as late bloomers, but different situations there. Most other late bloomers that I can think of were more or less one year wonders.

The feeling in Denver is a bit odd. I am in the camp of not caring who wins as long as it goes to the better player and not who might have the best long term potential. I feel like there are more in favor of Siemian than Lynch, but the majority just want the best player to win. There is also quite a few rumors about Lynch's work ethic so that has gotten a few more people to jump to camp Siemian. To me neither player is that polarizing so I don't know why there are really any "camps". Also we won a Superbowl pretty recently with atrocious qb play, so we don't quite put the same emphasis on it that a lot of fan bases do. Although we do realize that that isn't a recipe for success and are hoping to get some decent production.

Not sure about Kelly. All the focus has been on Lynch vs Siemian so not a lot has been reported. I can see him getting IR'd this year, figuring out which of the other two will be our starter going forward and then throw Kelly in the race against this year's winner next year. I really liked the pick, and who knows he could be our Russell Wilson and the other two will be our Matt Flynn. I would be more than happy with that too.

Good take...

Experience-wise, however, he is a "3rd-year guy". So the question is how many 3rd year guys who have only "flashed" to the point in their careers suddenly "get it"? Without checking I'm going to guess that's a pretty short list....

How many do you need?.....cause there are a lot of em.....

Romo, Young, Kreig, Montana, Fouts, Sipe, Hasselbeck, Garcia, Cousins, Stafford, Bradshaw, Gannon, Jaworski, Smith, Johnson, Thiesman, and on and on and on.....

How many do you need?.....cause there are a lot of em.....

Romo, Young, Kreig, Montana, Fouts, Sipe, Hasselbeck, Garcia, Cousins, Stafford, Bradshaw, Gannon, Jaworski, Smith, Johnson, Thiesman, and on and on and on.....

Most of those guys weren't "experience-wise" 3rd year guys when they flashed, but that is my point too. Usually when guys that have sat the bench for 2-3 years come in and they have what it takes to make it in the league they flash pretty early and often. Can't think of too many guys that sat the bench for 3 years and then spent another 2 years getting their feet wet and then flashed.

Lots of em.....here's more....Matt Schaub found his game in year 6, Gannon found his in year 11, Jaworski = year 6, Alex Smith 8 years, Joe Thiesman 8 years, Brad Johnson 6 years, Steve Young 8 years.....plenty of examples of guys who sat...bounced around....had the 3 year experience tjingy....only did ok(or worse)....then, suddenly, became quality NFL QB's......

and, with only 2 exceptions, all these guys were on their second or third teams before the light came on....

Archived