THE BROWNS BOARD

Orchard moving to DE Kirksey to OLB

TopDawg31

Well, no matter what.....I dont see this coming down to Nassib vs Orchard, when it comes to a roster spot....personally, I see them both well above the 53 man cutoff line....

Here's how Id like to see it go....last year we kept 15 LB's and DL's.......basically 7 LB's and 8 Dl....

Considering we are going 4-3 and will be in a nickle much of the time(2 LB), I say we flip flop our #'s and keep only 6 LB's and 9 up front.....if we do this, it should easily create a role(and space) for Orchard, who can play both sides of that equation and THAT would afford the Browns an opportunity to evaluate a second round pick who's only played a hand full of games....

Stunned that so many people feel Orchard has so little to offer and can easily let him go, w/o even giving him the opportunity to show it...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I know is when Orchard finally got the chance to play, he closed his rookie year strong.

No reason a fresh set of eyes like Gregg Williams, different scheme, plus a return to sic em on the edge (without coverage responsibility) - cannot reproduce the relentless pass rusher he was in college. Getting him back in a 3 point should remove all that paralysis from over-analysis Horton's D was slowing people up with.

This may be just a coincidence especially since Dick LeBeau was the guy who Horton got his zone blitz schemes from; but the TN Titans went from 2-14 the last time Horton was their DC to 9-7 the year he was replaced by LeBeau. Having said that, players indicated LeBeau tweaked it and made it less complicated so there was less thinking and more sic em helping them play faster. He realized this isn't the type of era where they had 1-3 years to train the Joey Porters, Jason Gildons, Chad Browns, and Greg Lloyd's watching Pro Bowl OLB/Edge rushers in front of them role modeling the position before they cracked into the starting lineup. Not only that, he realized a team that was bad enough to earn the right to draft 1st overall in 2016 (traded to LA) didn't have the same amount of defensive talent from top to bottom Pittsburgh used to have in order to pull off such a complicated set-up. Apparently Horton never figured that out so he squared pegged the round hole all the way back to Cleveland and did whatever he did with a depth deprived defense that counted on a lot of 1st and 2nd year players experience-wise to pull it off.

That's excellent ! Football is like a game of chess - and horton hears a who? wasn't a smart coach at it.

Williams sees the way to play - aggressive, kick ass even in practice football. It's been missing for so long -

"read and react"... who is the (*&^)(&*_) who figured that was a safe way to play defense? How in the heck would

that cover for a lack of talent/depth/experience on the roster?

Oh, the Browns are going to be a very different team this season, and the talent across the board, the SMART

and AGGRESSIVE coaching... I can't wait for the first game.

Well, no matter what.....I dont see this coming down to Nassib vs Orchard, when it comes to a roster spot....personally, I see them both well above the 53 man cutoff line....

Here's how Id like to see it go....last year we kept 15 LB's and DL's.......basically 7 LB's and 8 Dl....

Considering we are going 4-3 and will be in a nickle much of the time(2 LB), I say we flip flop our #'s and keep only 6 LB's and 9 up front.....if we do this, it should easily create a role(and space) for Orchard, who can play both sides of that equation and THAT would afford the Browns an opportunity to evaluate a second round pick who's only played a hand full of games....

Stunned that so many people feel Orchard has so little to offer and can easily let him go, w/o even giving him the opportunity to show it...

Good stuff. Like you, I think Orchard has a lot of exactly what we need so I'm glad Greg Williams pov will count most in this one.

I agree with all of you above. Orchard into the DE slot provides the depth we need with speed, which is what Williams wants in order to put quick pressure on QB's. It's gonna be a fun year to watch this D come together as a far better functioning unit than has been in Cleveland for many years. As ole Shaky once said, "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war." Woof Woof! :D

On the Depth Charts I have seen for this year, Schobert is still listed as starter....though I get what you say.

Yeah....I see that, but he isnt....and wasnt.....the starter, but for 4 games, early in the season. Those same depth charts also have Cam Erving as our starting RT and all show a 3-4 defensive alignment(which would include an extra linebacker(Schobert?)....

some still have Barny as our TE....none show Peppers.....many have Ogbah at LB......(so they cant be trusted....just guess work on all of em)

so, my guess works is we will play mostly 4-3...with Kirksey/Davis/Collins......or nickle with only collins/kirksey.......

Yeah....I see that, but he isnt....and wasnt.....the starter, but for 4 games, early in the season. Those same depth charts also have Cam Erving as our starting RT and all show a 3-4 defensive alignment(which would include an extra linebacker(Schobert?)....

some still have Barny as our TE....none show Peppers.....many have Ogbah at LB......(so they cant be trusted....just guess work on all of em)

so, my guess works is we will play mostly 4-3...with Kirksey/Davis/Collins......or nickle with only collins/kirksey.......

I generally just look at Ourlads....which is usually pretty accurate and up to date. The official Browns site does not yet post a depth chart. The only thing Ourlads does is the Browns in a 4-3...but I am sure that would change once the TC starts.

...and I think that Nassib is basically useless. Starting NFL tackles smother him. He was lucky to make 1 tackle a game last year.

Now, I suppose that it IS possible that he put on a ton of weight & muscle since last season.

Can he throw the ball? He be a good sized QB.

Another take on our DL/Competition ftor he 3-tech, DT slot...

Cleveland Browns: Answering the question at 3-technique

by Peter Smith 1 day ago

Every starting defensive line position is set with the exception of the 3-tech, but it’s pretty clear how the Cleveland Browns want things to shake out there.

https://nflspinzone.com/2017/06/04/cleveland-browns-answering-3-tech-question/

Archived