THE BROWNS BOARD

Domed Stadium

Orion

I'd always been in the "Football is made to be played outside, in the elements" camp.

But as a fan that's getting older...I've had a change of heart.

I had to laugh when Green Bay played their playoff game outside at home....and Houston played at home in a covered stadium. :)

- I believe the Packers had a tough time selling out the stadium for the game -

They're making playoff games start later and later so that more people in the west coast will watch.

OK, TV doesn't give a rats ass about the players. They're young, running around to keep warm...and making tons of money. But what about the fans? They're not running around and many aren't so young....and they're SPENDING tons of money to be there freezing their asses off. - I swear I've got some frost-bite in my foot from a Houston Oilers / New England Patriots playoff game -

I'm now of the opinion that northern cities should have roofed football stadiums.

That way, perhaps more of their fans would show up even if the team wasn't doing great and were not going to the playoffs. (we're a poster child for that thought)

Perhaps fewer players won't NOT want to play in places like Cleveland....knowing that they at least won't have to PLAY in the harsh weather.

And, of course, the super bowl could be played in Cleveland or Green Bay or New England, etc.

I asked my card playing buddies a couple of weeks ago, "Would you guys go to a cold weather Patriots game any more?"......and they each said, "Fuck that. No, no more of that." - The four of us (and others) have been to MANY a cold weather Pats game.....but we're done.

Call us wimps. Go ahead. :)

I think heavy rain and snow that impacts the field conditions is highly detrimental to good football, so I favor them for that reason. But just cold itself, heat, and fan comfortability are not on my list of reasons.

If we got a dome you might as well do it in a suburb. The open air coming from Lake Erie seems to be a staple of Browns football.

I'd always been in the "Football is made to be played outside, in the elements" camp.

Wimp. Ghoolie is going to say give me a nice 70 degree environment with no wind. If that floats your boat- you can just stay home and watch it on TV for a LOT less money. Because that's pretty much the environment in a Dome- just like watching it on the tube in your La-Z-Boy, except it's in person. FWIW I've been to games in St.Louis, Indy, and Detroit. If you have a shit team just having a Dome isn't going to make the fans flock to the controlled conditions. I've seen it in those respective cities, plenty of empty seats.

Finally- and I have to admit I've gotten a little more cold intolerant as I've gotten older- but "normal" cold isn't an excuse IF you're willing to shell out the bucks for proper cold weather gear. You may notice one of my hobbies is mountaineering- and trust me, you can stay toasty almost regardless, as long as there's not extreme wind. Those Everest climbers looked like they were having a Boy Scout picnic at Camp 2 when it was 20 below. I've done overnight camping when it was 5 below, and even took a few runs skiing at Snowshoe (remember the Bengals - Chargers playoff game? Same day) when the wind chill was -78. (actual air temperature -29 in a howling blizzard) Dammit, I prepaid my lift ticket, and I'm sure as hell going to get my money's worth. Aw, gee, it's 20 degrees and your poor widdle toes are cold? As recently as a couple of years ago when the NHL winter classic was in Ann Arbor New Years Day it was 10 degrees, and I can honestly say I really wasn't cold.

Replying to War- my brother played football, and he said playing in snow or mud was a blast.

So you are first one in line. So noted.

Hey soon to move to Vegas guy- I blame Willis Carrier for making most of Nevada habitable. LOVE those 115 degree days. Ha just step out in the desert for 3-4 hours on a day like that, and I'll bet you're going to wish you were someplace else.

BTW, You probably like domes because in cold weather you don't get to see the cheerleader T&A show. :)

I think heavy rain and snow that impacts the field conditions is highly detrimental to good football, so I favor them for that reason. But just cold itself, heat, and fan comfortability are not on my list of reasons.

If we got a dome you might as well do it in a suburb. The open air coming from Lake Erie seems to be a staple of Browns football.

War- I will say it used to be quite the experience sitting in the top few rows of the upper deck on the lake side with the wind out of the North late in the season. But they put up wind barriers there in the last few years.

Attending an open-air-stadium game in Houston in August/September's typical 90+ degrees/90+% humidity would be a misery that no amount of fan fervor could overcome.

A meaningful, late-season, out-of-your-seat, intense Browns game with 70,000 allied fans would provide a warmth that CBS attendees have never experienced.

But as a fan that's getting older...I've had a change of heart.

I had to laugh when Green Bay played their playoff game outside at home....and Houston played at home in a covered stadium. :)

- I believe the Packers had a tough time selling out the stadium for the game -

They're making playoff games start later and later so that more people in the west coast will watch.

OK, TV doesn't give a rats ass about the players. They're young, running around to keep warm...and making tons of money. But what about the fans? They're not running around and many aren't so young....and they're SPENDING tons of money to be there freezing their asses off. - I swear I've got some frost-bite in my foot from a Houston Oilers / New England Patriots playoff game -

I'm now of the opinion that northern cities should have roofed football stadiums.

That way, perhaps more of their fans would show up even if the team wasn't doing great and were not going to the playoffs. (we're a poster child for that thought)

Perhaps fewer players won't NOT want to play in places like Cleveland....knowing that they at least won't have to PLAY in the harsh weather.

And, of course, the super bowl could be played in Cleveland or Green Bay or New England, etc.

I asked my card playing buddies a couple of weeks ago, "Would you guys go to a cold weather Patriots game any more?"......and they each said, "Fuck that. No, no more of that." - The four of us (and others) have been to MANY a cold weather Pats game.....but we're done.

Green Bay having a tough time selling out? Not true there's a waiting list of people dying to get in there.

I like games that are impacted by weather.....rain, snow, fog, mud, wind. Much more variability, predictibility. I like it when teams have to adapt their game to the elements.

Its called "Playing Football".

Attending an open-air-stadium game in Houston in August/September's typical 90+ degrees/90+% humidity would be a misery that no amount of fan fervor could overcome.

A meaningful, late-season, out-of-your-seat, intense Browns game with 70,000 allied fans would provide a warmth that CBS attendees have never experienced.

It has happened a couple of times.

t Cleveland Browns Stadium, Cleveland, Ohio

• Date: December 29, 2002
  • Game time: 1:00 p.m. EST
  • Game weather: 34°F, relative humidity 85%, round (wind) 6 MPH
  • Game attendance: 73,528
  • Final score: Browns 24, Atlanta Falcons 16, Victory propels Browns into Wildcard berth.

Plus, it happened twice in 2007. Beat the Bills 8-0 in a snow storm to go to 9-5, and in playoff position. Then beat the 49ers two weeks later 20-7 to go 10-6.

Just two problems here though.....in the middle of these games, the Browns went down to Cinci and cacked up a furball with DA throwing like 4 Ints. to lose 19-14. Then the same day as the 49ers game, the Browns needed the Colts, who had already wrapped up a playoff spot, to beat the Titans or some other team. The Colts decided to sit all their good players, Peyton, Harrison, James. They played their backups and lost by like a field goal, screwing the Browns out of a playoff spot.

But, its true. That was like the last time that feeling was had here.

Replying to War- my brother played football, and he said playing in snow or mud was a blast.

Wasn't it though? That's probably when I had the most fun playing football was when it was snowing.

....and I'm talking about this past Packer playoff game. I'd heard that they were having trouble getting the game sold out. (perhaps it was 'fake' news)

Yup Tour the nastiest game I can remember was watching the Browns play the Buccaneers in Tampa in October. Think it was around 95 in the shade, and unfortunately my seat was in the sun. Just sitting there sweat was pouring off me. Felt sorry for the players, it had to be 100+ on the field.

I thinking there's a difference between "sold out" and every seat being filled...

The NFL has a new definition of what constitutes a "sellout".

Yup Tour the nastiest game I can remember was watching the Browns play the Buccaneers in Tampa in October. Think it was around 95 in the shade, and unfortunately my seat was in the sun. Just sitting there sweat was pouring off me. Felt sorry for the players, it had to be 100+ on the field.

The NFL has a new definition of what constitutes a "sellout".

When we went to Tennessee this year Larry, that game was too hot for me. That was Mid Oct. in Nashville. The sun was searing hot. It really was not pleasant. Of course, combine that with the Browns performance, and it was just aggravated.

When we went to Tennessee this year Larry, that game was too hot for me. That was Mid Oct. in Nashville. The sun was searing hot. It really was not pleasant. Of course, combine that with the Browns performance, and it was just aggravated.

Gip, that game was pretty mellow compared to the Tampa game. :) I'll let Zombo comment on the bus ride in September down to Miami with essentially no air conditioning.

Gip, that game was pretty mellow compared to the Tampa game. :) I'll let Zombo comment on the bus ride in September down to Miami with essentially no air conditioning.

I am sure. September in Miami is still sauna bath weather. And no AC on the bus? Whose brilliant idea was that?

We lucked out in Miami... T-storms everywhere except over the stadium and the new awnings to boot. Game was quite comfortable even without the distraction of being in it the whole way.

The bus to the game? Not so much, thus my switch on the ride back to the bar in a bus with plenty of A/C.

Miami covers the fans, which it should, but not the field, which it shouldn't. It's a great stadium, and it was very comfortable in September.

I had them kill the A/C on the bus to set the proper tone for the fans. If there were a steel garbage can at the tailgate, I would have kicked it over

Zombo

We lucked out in Miami... T-storms everywhere except over the stadium and the new awnings to boot. Game was quite comfortable even without the distraction of being in it the whole way.

The bus to the game? Not so much, thus my switch on the ride back to the bar in a bus with plenty of A/C.

If the Titans stadium had had a cover like Miami's it would have been much more tolerable. But the sun was beating down on us there. The only respite we had was when an occasional cloud would cover the sun.

+1

I found an excellent football stadium for when we move the team to Mexico. The great ancient Mayan ball court in Chichen-Itza is 225 ft. wide by 545 ft. long, more than enough to lay out the field. And it has enough room to handle our dwindling crowds on top as you can see. In addition Williams will be happy to institute that ancient Mayan custom as a motivator for his defense, i.e. loser gets his heart torn out and is sacrificed to the Gods. :lol:

ci10b.jpg

You're gay. You live in Naples, Fla

That is just a poke in the ribs my friend.

Cleveland needs a dome.

I would be ashamed of a dome.

Certainly not ashamed to live in Naples.

Zombo

Love it.

I do believe you are seeing the End of Days for football in the city of Cleveland. I don't believe it can support a franchise any longer. Haslam is doing what he can to kill the crowds and justify his move.

Now here.. I totally disagree with you.. if the team starts winning.. all of that changes...

Archived