THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign LB Jamie Collins

Zombo

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Collins will want big bucks to stay and play with us losers. But hey, ya might have to spend some in order to get some wins.

It's important to sign our own good players. Not only because if we don't, then we've got MORE holes to fill...but it shows good faith from the organization. It WILL help us when we're trying to lure a FA to come play for us.

This is big. He would likely have been one of the top few guys on the open market - assuming Bell, Berry and the truly elite guys get signed before march - and he's in Cleveland. He's got the ability to be a big part for us and the name to draw other free agents.

One down, Terrelle to go.

The Browns have made significant progress on an extension with pending free-agent Jamie Collins, sources said. Deal to be done by weekend

This is Jason Can B Wronga'..BUT-No way TP is worth a WR FTag? If this got out. Sashi maybe telling Drew Rosenhouse (TP agent) "it's time to get real". It would be nice to come out of this weekend with 2 done deals with no FTag needed...but, I could B Wronga' II

Well, I don't want to get TOO excited before it's actually finished, but I have to say....HOLY SHIT, YESSSSSSSSS!

This is important for many reasons. It gives our end of the year presser instant validity. We said we'd keep our talent and re-sign our guys. We're not letting our playmakers go to another team, we're going to do everything in our power to keep talent in Cleveland. Jamie Collins was sort of used all over the place, and that was actually a good thing. It gives Gregg Williams an abundance of film to determine how best to used Collins, and I can't wait to see where his position will truly be. I'm sure everyone noticed, but Collins is a physical freak and gets to the ball with ill intentions. He's EXACTLY the kind of player we want on our defense, and he's in prime condition. Wouldn't surprise me to see Collins' jersey selling at a solid clip soon. I think he's that good, and I also believe his play will be contagious. Him, plus Kirksey, gives us a nice 1-2 punch. My first round draft picks now look like this (obviously it will change tomorrow, but whatever): Myles Garrett at #1, and Reuben Foster at #12. There's a good chance that Foster is gone by then, and if that's the case, I want to seriously look at Zach Cunningham. We could always go DB, but I feel like the draft is heavy with that position. Probably get one later in the draft. QB will have to be addressed either by signing Tyrod Taylor, and/or trading for JG from Pats.

This is Jason Can B Wronga'..BUT-No way TP is worth a WR FTag? If this got out. Sashi maybe telling Drew Rosenhouse (TP agent) "it's time to get real". It would be nice to come out of this weekend with 2 done deals with no FTag needed...but, I could B Wronga' II

It's the Cousins' approach...

Agree TP is not "worth" the tag's price, but as only a one-year $$$ commitment, it can make sense. We get to see how much more of his potential develops thru 2017 before committing to him long-term. It's better than overpaying within a long-term deal for what we saw in 2016 in the hope he continues on the same trajectory.

Collins' body of work is far more complete. It's a firm foundation for basing a deal.

(Collins) plus Kirksey, gives us a nice 1-2 punch. My first round draft picks now look like this (obviously it will change tomorrow, but whatever): Myles Garrett at #1, and Reuben Foster at #12.

A Collins-Garrett pincer from the edges is damn appealing...

The Browns have made significant progress on an extension with pending free-agent Jamie Collins, sources said. Deal to be done by weekend

This would be super. Instead of losing good players to FA , like we did last year, keep our own and take a few good ones from other teams.

Now: where does Collins play in Williams 4-3 defense?

Outside linebacker ....Garrett on the edge of a front 4 ...if we lined them up on the same side the poor tackle on that side would need help....Garrett was double teamed in collage ... if he can be as explosive as a rookie things could be interesting under Williams's blitz packages

This would be super. Instead of losing good players to FA , like we did last year, keep our own and take a few good ones from other teams.

When someone asked him in yesterday's press conference about the 4-3 defense, he said he's going to run a Cleveland defense. Point is, don't get hung up on 4-3 vs 3-4. He said he has 42 different packages that he runs, and he picks and chooses them based on the strengths and weaknesses of his players.

A Collins-Garrett pincer from the edges is damn appealing...

See my previous question. I understand Collins is best as an MLB. That is why I brought that question up.

But, yes, I suspect he would have to put Collins at OLB, just because we have Kirksey and Davis in the middle as well.

And if they took Garrett, where would he play? My one concern about him is that he is sort of a "tweener" At 6'5 270 he is heavier than most OLBs, and a bit light for a DE, though I think that would be his primary spot. Garrett is an inch taller and actually slightly heavier than Emanual Ogbah.

If there were bookends, it would be with Ogbah and Garrett at DE I think. Then what about OLB? You would have Collins....and either Schobert or Orchard at this point.

When someone asked him in yesterday's press conference about the 4-3 defense, he said he's going to run a Cleveland defense. Point is, don't get hung up on 4-3 vs 3-4. He said he has 42 different packages that he runs, and he picks and chooses them based on the strengths and weaknesses of his players.

And I think that is smart. Adapt his system to his talent, and not vice versa.

We have what I think are two pretty good ILBs, Davis and Kirksey. Shame to not utilize them.

So then: Garrett, if taken would man RDE, Shelton the NT, and Ogbah the LDE. (Nassib and Cooper rotating in at DEs) With Collins, Davis, Kirksey...and Schobert/Orchard at the LB spots (Cam Johnson backing up)?

Could we use another OLB in this scenario? And what about the DBs. (and, of course, QB)

AKA what tia and a couple others have been preaching here for a while. Looks like we finally have the DC that they have been waiting for...

AKA what tia and a couple others have been preaching here for a while. Looks like we finally have the DC that they have been waiting for...

Agree, but the most important thing he brings, in my opinion, has everything to do with how he will change what's in between the ears of players. I was impressed with his comments about body language because this is a man who understands psychology on a level some coaches don't. Just listen to how much time he devotes to what I'd call sports and competition psychology in this press conference, the proper application of which is what will drive culture change.

Ian Rappaport says we are paying more than Panthers paid Luke. I'm OK with that. I think he is exactly what this team needed.

From a "contracts only get bigger" standpoint atop the premium we have to pay... I can live with it.

From a "based on past production" standpoint? It's pretty rich... Williams will have to wring a lot more impact out of him to justify it.

Luke was just a Padawan......we are paying for a Jedi Master, no?

What the fuck, is that some kind of nerd secret code?

He's an ass kicker. And a truly talented athlete. Glad to see us lock one up. Sashi has been kicking ass since Day One, the bitcher's and moaners will see results soon.

Zombo

He's an ass kicker. And a truly talented athlete. Glad to see us lock one up. Sashi has been kicking ass since Day One, the bitcher's and moaners will see results soon.

Zombo

It is always fun to needle you with some kind of nerd secret codes to see how you react.....and to confirm that you are NOT Omnipotent. Apparently you are NOT the Kwizatz Haderach. Have you never ridden Shai-Hulud?

Looks like we finally have the DC that they have been waiting for...

Pet decided on a friend in Jim O'Neil while G.Williams was let go in Tenn. in 2013 & was available before taking Rams DC..the usual "what could have been"

Zombo

We are the Jedi Masters young Padawan Learner. It's a Star Wars reference. Gip was insensitive to you not being a fantasy movie geek.

Archived