THE BROWNS BOARD

Holy Shit: Williams presser

Clevfan4life

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garrett volunteering that did defintely come off as a veiled way of saying he doesn't want to go to Cleveland in my opinion.

True that.

I watched the whole presser....and I like him. (I'm sure that puts your minds at ease) :)

He's articulate and comfortable in front of an audience. He let Grossi know the rules in no uncertain terms...without being a Bill Parcells ass.

I like how he wants to tackle in practice....and practice fast so that game day is no big difference. Which I think it's been for our guys.

I REALLY like a coach who can adapt his system(s) to the players that he has. That's the only way to get the most out of them. Perhaps he has a style that he wants to play...but really doesn't have the personnel. Well, you tell the powers what they need to get you so that you can play the style that you want......but in the meantime you're not trying to squash square pegs into round holes.

Good luck Gregg!

Teach 'em how to tackle.....cos they don't seem to know how.

Tony Grossi is such an arsehole

I have no idea if Williams will make us any better, time will tell, but there's no denying his impressiveness in the presser. I can see why players would listen when he speaks.

Well the Titanic just dumped the "Choir Boy" signs of O'Neil & Horton off the ship..You may want to double hinge some locker room doors. Sign me Up for Gregg Williams when the Media Twist his statements...Ding! DinG!

Garrett volunteering that did defintely come off as a veiled way of saying he doesn't want to go to Cleveland in my opinion.

LOL! In the interest of full disclosure and quotes out of context, there is this from NBC Sports

"In a quote that will absolutely be parsed and stripped of context, Garrett said he’d prefer not to go someplace cold. Sort of.

“Doesn’t matter, . . . but I’d like not to go anywhere cold,” Garrett said, according to Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle.

This is the point, where in the interest of journalistic integrity, we point out that Zwerneman noted that Garrett was smiling as he said it, and then kept talking.

“Whoever picks me up, I’m going to try and play my best for, to be the best player on the field at any given time,” he said. “It doesn’t matter who picks me up, I’m going to try and be a franchise player for them.”

So relax. Don't make something out of nothing like some sportswriters do to produce copy :D .

LOL! In the interest of full disclosure and quotes out of context, there is this from NBC Sports

"In a quote that will absolutely be parsed and stripped of context, Garrett said he’d prefer not to go someplace cold. Sort of.

“Doesn’t matter, . . . but I’d like not to go anywhere cold,” Garrett said, according to Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle.

This is the point, where in the interest of journalistic integrity, we point out that Zwerneman noted that Garrett was smiling as he said it, and then kept talking.

“Whoever picks me up, I’m going to try and play my best for, to be the best player on the field at any given time,” he said. “It doesn’t matter who picks me up, I’m going to try and be a franchise player for them.”

So relax. Don't make something out of nothing like some sportswriters do to produce copy :D .

"He then lipped "Not Cleveland"... haha

I am sure the kid would play just fine. The money is still green in cold places. But it just caught me funny that he would say that. He quickly did the agent speak after it.

If Garrett really is pussying out of wanting to play in Cleveland trade out and get Malik Hooker ....he knows all about Ohio winters .....then get Jordan Willis later in the draft .....

On Willliams my fave comment was ...I see there are a few of you slouching in your chairs...that wont happen in my classroom

That was awesome. Loved it. But now Tony is probably going to try to do his best to poison the fan base against him because Tony Grossi is a petulant little baby.

I thought this too, his articles are pure poison.

He will make no fucking difference.

1) He is a buddy of limp dick

2) He wasn't limpdick's first choice

3) Limpdick is 1-19

Coordinators simply carry out the defense that the HC approves of. The only thing that will make a difference in the Browns for 2017 is Turbisky, and the firing of hue Jackson.

Actually, I think it may have been Ray Horton that was the limpdick of our coaching staff....and that is why he is gonne.

Well... that was interesting...

Generally I was taken by contrast between his presence, one of resolve not in your face aggression, and his philosophy/message, aggression.

Long answers... mostly coherent... here are the couple that really got my attention:

On if he will run a 4-3 based defense:

“Thank you for asking that. No, Cleveland-based. The reason being is this, I have 42 words that add up to the 11 that trot out to the field. You guys that have studied me before, we’ll play 4-3 and 3-4 in the same game. 3-3, 3-2, 4-1, 4-2, bear, big on five down, big on six down, big on more linebackers, little on more DB’s. I have 42 packages of defense. Now everywhere I go, I don’t do them all."

Sounds like the ultimate fit the system to the players (or in some cases player) DC. Looking forward to it.

As part of his Sr. Bowl answer:

"You know what, once I put my hands on those guys, I am not going to watch any of their college film. I do not need to. (Alabama Head Coach) Nick Saban and I are really good friends, several guys on the Clemson defensive staff and I are really good friends. All of those guys, when you have been in [the coaching business] as long as I have been, I have a lot of guys coaching college football that played for me too. I do not need to watch them once I get a chance to coach them, so this is fun."

Struck me as an unusual approach to "scouting"... then I remembered he's not a scout, he's our DC.

Struck me as an unusual approach to "scouting"... then I remembered he's not a scout, he's our DC.

It shows that he may NOT have much if any input into the drafting process. His attitude may be "I will coach the players you provide me. It is your job (GM) to get me something I can use"

His job is to provide the FO with a numbeted list of defensive talent that he sees fit for his plans. Whether the browns get them or not is not and never was on the coordinators. Now if he tells the FO h sees a group of players that fit his shit and they go out and get something completely different even when his guys were available, then we all might need to run a jailhouse blitz on betea and physically remove the FO

His job is to provide the FO with a numbeted list of defensivetalent that he sees fitforhis plans. Whether the browns get them or not is not and never was on the coordinators. Now if he tells the FO h sees a group ofplayets that firhis shit and they go out and get something completely different even when his guys were available, than we all migjt need to run a jailhouse blitz on betea and physically remove the FO

I seriously doubt what you describe is Williams' "job".

His job is to evaluate what he's got and where it falls how short of what he needs. His downplaying of tape evaluations, saying he never really knows until he gets his hands on players, means his evaluations of the current roster are going to be pretty weak.

Ditto for college prospects, plus his network of friends in college coaching. Since he can't get his hands on every prospect, his name input will be limited to the Sr. Bowl South's D. So his output might include some names, but not many with real conviction behind them.

Bottom line: If this draft ends up being a little out of sync on the D-side, then it's going to be hard to hang that on the FO.

I do not need to watch them once I get a chance to coach them

Not sure what you mean about how that's a problem.. Either the player can do his job on that day, or they can't.. In some sense it doesn't matter how much they knuckled up 2 years ago and shut down Auburn's #2 [or whatever] on a gimpy ankle..

My guess is Williams will throw NFL-level terminology and play design at them and watch to see who plays with abandon and who is thinking too much..

The comparison to offense would be giving Watson a new play with new teammates and seeing if he makes the right read...... and downgrading him when he checks it down even though the #3 WR is wide open, just like your friend and mine JFF.

Not sure what you mean about how that's a problem..

Not sure I can be clearer, but I'll give it a shot...

If "hands-on" is his primary means of evaluation, then it is a particular problem this year since he can't get his hands on our own players, let alone most college prospects.

In the case of prospects... his Sr. Bowl participation actually increases his contribution to the process, but only by about 26 players

As part of his Sr. Bowl answer:

"You know what, once I put my hands on those guys, I am not going to watch any of their college film.

---------------------

Yeah, I found that statement a bit concerning....though I DID understand his point of view.

Does that mean he would only draft guys that he 'put his hands on' this year? I'm sure not. (not that he gets to draft anyone)

Do you think DL Jonathon Allen is a better number one pick than Myles Garrett? And would it be possible to get both these guys?

Just a hunch, feebly based on reading and watching highlights, I like both...

but I actually like Solomon better than both of those. The other two are more highly

rated... what do I know...but I think I like Solomon's highly physical, explosive kickass

style of play if I was drafting.

Pretty sure I saw the answer to the "tackling" debate in today's Senior Bowl South practice...

South defenders were popping RBs with their pads every running play... all up high... none "to the ground" excepting if RB was caught off balance. On some plays as many as 7 or 8 pops were delivered... only one per customer. All included brief wraps released quickly.

Look ghoolie nobodys saying hue never talked to horton anout the defense, im sure he had his input. But hue is an offense guy.....horton ran that defense just give it up. If gregg williams becomes our hc in the future rest assured he'll be the main driver begind the defense but he'll have someone of his choosing run the offense. Of course he'll choose someone that runs an offense he agrees with, but please stop this coffee fetching fgtry.

Do you think DL Jonathon Allen is a better number one pick than Myles Garrett? And would it be possible to get both these guys?

1) no and

2 no- unless you want to give up multiple first round picks.

Look ghoolie nobody's saying hue never talked to horton about the defense, I'm sure he had his input. But hue is an offense guy.....horton ran that defense just give it up. If gregg williams becomes our hc in the future rest assured he'll be the main driver behind the defense but he'll have someone of his choosing run the offense. Of course he'll choose someone that runs an offense he agrees with, but please stop this coffee fetching fgtry.

Exactly Cleve. there's a few defensive coordinators that clearly call their shots instead of the head Coach. Ghoolie needs look no farther than his Pittsburgh Squealers. Like hell LeBeau was taking orders from Cowher or Tomlin on how to run his defense. Romeo Crennell was a lousy HC, & might have been doing what Bellichick told him to do, but he's been a successful defensive coordinator elsewhere. He's forgotten more about defense than Texans HC O'Brien knows. Same deal with Wade Phillips.

Ray Horton put together the defense Hue Jackson told him to put together. Fucking assistant coaches are coffee fetchers. According to you shit bottlers the head coach really doesn't do anything.

the DC assembles, runs and directs the defence

the OC does the same shit for the O

the QB coach controls the QB

the Special Teams coach hadles all the kicking, punting, return, and gay sex activities

and at the very end of all the assistants,,......the Head Coach.

Fucking idiots.

Sure, DCs, OCs don't mean shit.

Tell that to Dick LeBeau.

Look ghoolie nobodys saying hue never talked to horton anout the defense, im sure he had his input. But hue is an offense guy.....horton ran that defense just give it up. If gregg williams becomes our hc in the future rest assured he'll be the main driver begind the defense but he'll have someone of his choosing run the offense. Of course he'll choose someone that runs an offense he agrees with, but please stop this coffee fetching fgtry.

Just curious....why do you always abbreviate "faggotry"? Afraid to be seen as politically incorrect?

Archived