THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns rolling over $50m, have $108m in Cap Space

Zombo

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-much-unused-cap-money-is-your-team-rolling-over-to-2017-not-as-much-as-the-browns-194934306.html

NFL teams that don’t spend all their cap space in an offseason aren’t necessarily being cheap (though, some are). They can elect to carry over what they don’t use.

And the Cleveland Browns are carrying over enough to buy about three Brock Osweilers.

Cleveland is carrying over $50,123,269, according to figures released by the NFLPA. That’s over $10 million more than any other team is carrying over, though three other teams are also well ahead of the pack. The Jacksonville Jaguars will carry over a little more than $39 million, the San Francisco 49ers have more than $38 million and the Tennessee Titans have about $24 million in carryover.

And in a fairly strange coincidence, the two teams carrying over the least amount of cap savings are the two Los Angeles teams. The Rams have $304,311 to roll over, and the Chargers have just $113,693. They always say it’s super expensive to live in L.A.

View photos

The Titans are a very interesting team on that list. They added the fifth pick of the draft, thanks to the Jared Goff trade with the Rams last season, have their own No. 18 pick and are coming off a nice growth season that ended 9-7. They could be a dangerous team with a big offseason, and they have the resources to add a few big pieces, especially with the $24 million they’ll add to their cap amount.

But the Browns really stand out. Spotrac, which tracks NFL contracts and cap space, projects the Browns to have about $108 million in cap space this offseason, which is unbelievable. Cleveland, which just finished a 1-15 season, isn’t going to turn it all around in one offseason. But they have the money to tempt a really good free agent or 10 to come to Cleveland.

Oh boy! We're gonna get "three Brock Osweilers."

Or one GOOD player! :P

I just don't want to see us overpay for player(s) grabbing big bucks & giving minimal (or less) effort, as previous Browns' regimes have done.

Mike

To my surprise, I thought Sashi did well via trade for J.Taylor.Trade for Collins & Colquitt. Getting guys like B.Calhoun,Reiter,Alford,Hogan,Reynolds off the streets..But Locking Down our own very few Talented Players..$$show me$$

To my surprise, I thought Sashi did well via trade for J.Taylor.Trade for Collins & Colquitt. Getting guys like B.Calhoun,Reiter,Alford,Hogan,Reynolds off the streets..But Locking Down our own very few Talented Players..$$show me$$

Make that "Sashi & Co."...

There's little doubt he was "the voice" on our end of the phone, but the trade-price paid and waived players claimed were all products of our consensus-driven, Sashi-led process. Sashi is no more the embodiment of FO successes as he is of FO failures.

Re-signs will be the same. While I'd like to see a few come back, I'd not grossly overpay them to do so. There's not an indispensable one in the bunch.

Z-I totally agree on your assessment of the Titans. They have a real chance to turn into something special this year, particularly if they ever figure out how to use their two headed monster @ RB along with all those picks and possible FA pickups.

There's little doubt he was "the voice" on our end of the phone, but the trade-price paid and waived players claimed were all products of our consensus-driven, Sashi-led process. Sashi is no more the embodiment of FO successes as he is of FO failures.

Re-signs will be the same. While I'd like to see a few come back, I'd not grossly overpay them to do so. There's not an indispensable one in the bunch.

Until Clevelands reputation improves we are going to have to overpay to keep our best players and attract top talent. I will be really disappointed if we don't sign Collins and Pryor. You can't build a winning team and culture if you can't keep your best players. Didn't it make anyone else sick to be seeing so many ex-Browns in the playoffs this past weekend?

Problem is the agents for our guys are going to say- hey you have that ton of money to spend- so why not on us?

Problem is the agents for our guys are going to say- hey you have that ton of money to spent- so why not on us?

Mack & Schwartz was doable for the money they got. But the "want to" vs the money of wanting to play in Cleveland needs to change..Pulling the Schwartz deal was not a good sign imo. But Hue & Sashi outweigh "want to" over money imo. Keeping Talent Wins. Not finding it or Re-signing it cost a FO than HC jobs..Tick Tock

Call it blind optimism, but I could see Cleveland being more appealing to some young FA's this year than they have in years past.

Even with the 1-15 record, the general consensus has been "this team is building toward something" as opposed to years past when it was "lol Browns have no idea what they want".

Hue and Williams are established, unlike many of our last regimes. Collins, TP and Coleman are playmakers in the making. We're overall a young team with plenty of room to improve this roster. And we're going to have to overpay. Agents will look at that and say "can you imagine taking a three year deal in Cleveland and turning that team around? Your next contract will be HUUUUGE"

It's a win-win for some of these underperforming guys coming off their rookie contracts. They'll get paid above market value for their services and, if we were to start winning, they could use that Browns success to inflate their value come contract renewal. If we don't win, they're still getting paid above market value for their services for a few years.

I agree. I don't think the fact we were 1-15 will play a big part in decisions. It may for some of the older free agents, but we really aren't going to look at those guys. We will be targeting players heading in to their 2nd contract.

As for overpaying, screw that. We need the help and we have the money. We need 2-3-4 players who can ball in addition to keeping the parts already here that we want to keep. I am already a little bummed we haven't read that the Browns and Collins have reached a deal.

The whole reason drafted player salaries were changed 3-4 years back was to put that money in to the pockets of vet players who had proven to be good players. Well.....how about we start stuffing a few wallets??

I just want to read that we've re-signed Pryor and Collins...that's just about all I care about right now. Some fans and analysts say that losing Pryor isn't a big deal, but I disagree. We need a guy who can bring down the "jump ball", and I happen to like his feisty attitude. Perhaps more importantly, we simply CANNOT lose another player that we cultivated, only to have another team reap the rewards. We got dragged over the coals for just that this year, and we can't add fuel to that awful fire. We're the team that took a risk on Pryor, we're the ones who saw the vast potential, and WE need to be the team he catches big passes for...no doubt in my mind. It's complicated because there really isn't too much precedent for his situation, AND his agent (Rosenhaus) is a notorious douche bag. Franchising him would be a ridiculous cost, and I don't think that's the way we should go. It's a difficult situation for sure, but we MUST have him back. Additionally, Collins didn't have an "amazing year", but he was placed all over the field, and his talent was extremely evident. With us hiring a new DC, it's more vital than ever that we bring him back. Yes, these two players will be expensive, but they are also two players who have proven what they can do, AND both are in the physical primes of their career. Furthermore, there's no telling what Pryor's ceiling is. As we all know, last year was his FIRST year ever playing the WR position in the NFL. That's just incredible. How much better can he get with more years under his belt? Obviously the guy is a hard worker, so you KNOW he'll be training hard on his craft.

I also think we need a veteran WR. Nothing fancy, but definitely a proven pass catcher. Other than Coleman, anybody excited about our rookie haul from last year? Yeah...me neither. Coleman gets a pass due to injury and absurd QB play. He could've played much better, but I think he'll come along nicely. There's also a handful of DB's with solid track records coming available (I THINK), so making a run at them makes a ton of sense. People coveting someone like Eric Berry can get that taste out of their mouth. This is probably his last contract before retirement, and he's not going from a winning team to the absolute worst.

I would like to see us use FA to draft O line both at tackle and at center....not sure what centers are available in FA .......would rather use the draft to get players at DE, CB, QB and safety ....

I would like to see us use FA to draft O line both at tackle and at center....not sure what centers are available in FA .......would rather use the draft to get players at DE, CB, QB and safety ....

A good/competent FO should look at what the strengths of the FA crop are and compare with the draft pool's strengths. This year's free-agency is strong at RB, WR, OG, DE, DT, LB, CB and Safety.

If we want to strengthen the OL, the best bet is to grab a guard in FA. I think Greco has played enough Center that we can bump him inside permanently. Then let Pastor, Erving and Coleman duke it out for the starting RT spot.

I think the team could also benefit from bringing in another veteran WR, and there are plenty of options this year. The other place I'd look to to address with free agency is CB or Safety. Whichever you can't address in free agency, you draft.

Dont forget tho we normally allow other teams to get the cream of the crop and when everyone is done we get the scraps that are left ......been the same for years.....nobody wants to play for a perennial loser

Who are those players the Browns should target (while understanding that they may have to pay a premium)?

I don't know who is going to be free and who isn't until March 1st, so it is pointless to toss around names until then. Maybe in mid February since you do start to get word on who will probably be free.

To start, how about Collins and Pryor. This is our exclusive window. How about extending Meder, Crow, Bitonio and Kirksey? It's cheaper to extend then wait until next year. Had we offered Pryor a nice extension last year around game 7, he would have jumped. It would have been for a lot less money then we will have to pay now.

A fair plan if you can find the guys. I mean, this team has lost two good ones, Mack and Schwartz. Perhaps time for other teams to lose good ones to the Browns.

Now, who are these OL that you want that will be out there?

I don't know who is going to be free and who isn't until March 1st, so it is pointless to toss around names until then. Maybe in mid February since you do start to get word on who will probably be free.

To start, how about Collins and Pryor. This is our exclusive window. How about extending Meder, Crow, Bitonio and Kirksey? It's cheaper to extend then wait until next year. Had we offered Pryor a nice extension last year around game 7, he would have jumped. It would have been for a lot less money then we will have to pay now.

OK, agree. Lock up our guys, don't let them hit the market. (though, possibly, their agents will want them to hit the market so that a bidding war can take place for them..understandably).

OK, agree. Lock up our guys, don't let them hit the market. (though, possibly, their agents will want them to hit the market so that a bidding war can take place for them..understandably).

True, but then it is possible they lose a leg from being tackled and never play again. There is always a point and counter point.

C in this draft is Pocic and that's about it.. so if we want to get better, we need to either draft Pocic or hit the FA market [Tretter, Paradis, Wisnewski]

Avoid everyone from the Vikings OL, they were terrible and that's why the Vikings didn't get into the playoffs.

Or we can:

1) Move Greco to center permanently, then...

2) Sign a guard in free agency, of which there are potentially many good ones to choose from. Or failing that...

3) Put Pastor at guard, where he performed well before, and let Erving and Coleman battle for the RT spot.

C in this draft is Pocic and that's about it.. so if we want to get better, we need to either draft Pocic or hit the FA market [Tretter, Paradis, Wisnewski]

Avoid everyone from the Vikings OL, they were terrible and that's why the Vikings didn't get into the playoffs.

Elflein in some rankings tops Pocic at OC. Plus, they say that Pocic may be like Erving....actually too tall to play the spot.

Don't most OCs have fairly squatty bodies?

I also think we need a veteran WR. Nothing fancy, but definitely a proven pass catcher. Other than Coleman, anybody excited about our rookie haul from last year? Yeah...me neither. Coleman gets a pass due to injury and absurd QB play. He could've played much better, but I think he'll come along nicely. There's also a handful of DB's with solid track records coming available (I THINK), so making a run at them makes a ton of sense. People coveting someone like Eric Berry can get that taste out of their mouth. This is probably his last contract before retirement, and he's not going from a winning team to the absolute worst.

I'm not averse to drafting Ryan Switzer from North Carolina- though he's on the small side, great hands, and doubles as a kick\punt returner.

Gip beat me to it, Elflin is up there, and questions if a guy as tall as Pocic can play center. Though some of the outstanding centers- Mack and the Pouncey brothers are 6'4" or 6'5". Pocic is 6'6".

Archived