THE BROWNS BOARD

Top Draft Needs of Teams

The Gipper

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Crowell is so good... and let me reiterate this again how much I hate talking down about Crow to show you that we NEED an upgrade at RB. Crowell is GOOD, Duke Johnson is GOOD, Leonard Fournette is GREAT.

If Crowell was so good then we wouldn't need 6 runningbacks on the roster. If Duke was so great he wouldn't be calling to come out the game every other play because he's dinged up. Fournette isn't going to need replaced every other play like Crowell and Johnson or the handful of other players we have out there. Fournette is going to be a stable presence play in and out that helps the offense gain and keep their rhythm.

Here's a clip of something I read this morning that has some relevance...

--------

On the surface it seems like it would an easy decision for the Browns to decide they want to keep Crowell. He led the team in rushing this season with 952 yards and seven touchdowns, and was second in rushing average at 4.8 yards per carry, helping the Browns hit a 50-year high in team rushing average.

And he did all that while playing with a passing attack that no opposing defense feared and an offensive line that was in a continual state of flux due to injuries.

But, as is often the case, scratch just below the surface of Crowell’s numbers and they may not be as rosy as they first appear, as Pro Football Focus revealed in a very interesting Tweet:

"47.5% of Crowell's rushing yards this season came on 16 carries" - per PFF Fantasy Football

Now you can look at that stat in one of two ways. It may be an indication of Crowell’s big-play ability, which is something that the Browns offense has lacked for a long time.

Or, it could be that this season was an aberration and the reality is that gaining almost half your season yardage total on just a handful of plays is absolutely unsustainable. If that is the case – and let’s be real here, it is – then Crowell will very likely return in 2017 as the same running back who entered this past season averaging just 3.9 yards per carry.

-----------

Now, I'm one who doesn't see our Defense as bad as a lot of you do. It's our offense that needs upgrading!

Our Defense is kick-ass but they get their asses worn out because the Offense can't keep the ball! They can't convert third downs they can't even punch it in the endzone from 2 yards out on 1st and Goal. The Defense will have a goal line stand and the Offense can't even get out the shadow of the goalposts. Hell, even the special teams can't hit a fucking field goal to win the game when the Defense gets the ball back for them.

With Gregg Williams as Defensive Coordinator we will be a more aggressive team. We will tackle better, attack the QB better and we'll use our players more effectively. We have young players that need time to develop. Nassib, Ogbah and Orchard. We have Shelton and Desmond Bryant. Davis, Kirksey and probably Collins back. We are going to be a better Defense next year but it won't matter, they will wear out and give up points eventually and without an offense that can threaten to put up points and keep them fresh- we're going to lose.

Draft Trubisky and trade up for Fournette. Fix the OL in FA and the Draft. Draft Desmond King/Jourdan Lewis/Kevin King and Justin Evans to upgrade the secondary, give that front seven another second to get to the QB. Then we will be a better team. For all you that want Garrett- watch his teammate Hall on the opposite side of the line. He's a heck of a player as well and we can get him later in the draft.

I like Garrett. I like Allen. I like Hooker. I like Foster. I like Peppers.... I love Trubisky and Fournette.

We haven't had a true Franchise QB since Couch. We haven't had a runningback as good as Fournette, not since the rebirth. We can eliminate 8 mediocre players by drafting Trubisky and Fournette. You can't do that by drafting defense first.

The Browns need a QB.

The Browns need a RB.

The Browns need a C.

The Browns need a FS.

That's it. They have enough pieces on the roster to fix the OL right of Center. They have 3 pretty good CBs. They have a decent SS in Kindred. They have a young and promising front 7. They have 3-4 really good WRs. They have a big TE and a young TE still learning. They have good backup RBs. They have a decent backup QB.

The Biggest NEEDS on the Browns Roster are as follows:

#1 Greatest NEED: Quarterback... and it's been our biggest need for a long time. Don't give me the crap that it's all because of Cleveland ruining QBs. Those guys sucked and that is that. Sometimes they are just backups, sometimes they are just busts, but one thing is for certain- They weren't Franchise QBs.

#2 Most dire need for the Browns: Center. Our line struggled last season under a turbulent Center position. We need to fix this but burning an early first round pick on a center not named Alex Mack would be foolish.... I mean, even when it WAS Alex Mack we didn't exactly win a lot of games because of it. I'm okay with picking up a player like Elflein or Pocic in the second round if available. I'm also okay with maybe waiting a little longer on Fuller or Orlowsky? But this position can be addressed without a first rounder.

#3- The Free Safety position in Cleveland has been a void for a long time. Who was the last really good one we had?... don't tell me Gipson. Gipson wasn't even that good. We do need a General Free Safety out there defending our backside. I would love Hooker to be the guy but there maybe another option. Desmond King. Or maybe we can fix the SS spot first by taking a shot at Justin Evans. Both players would lock down a S spot.

#4- RB. Despite all the love for Crowell. Crowell isn't even as good as Richardson was for us his rookie year. Crowell is a slightly above average back and that's all he is going to be. He's not keeping defensive players up at night because of his RB prowess. However, Cleveland could strike a telling blow by landing a monster RB.

This is how you fix the Browns. Develop the talent we already have and get a few offensive cornerstones in the draft.

The Browns need a QB.

The Browns need a RB.

The Browns need a C.

The Browns need a FS........

That's it. They have enough pieces on the roster to fix the OL right of Center. They have 3 pretty good CBs. They have a decent SS in Kindred. They have a young and promising front 7. They have 3-4 really good WRs. They have a big TE and a young TE still learning. They have good backup RBs. They have a decent backup QB.

The Biggest NEEDS on the Browns Roster are as follows:

#1 Greatest NEED: Quarterback... and it's been our biggest need for a long time. Don't give me the crap that it's all because of Cleveland ruining QBs. Those guys sucked and that is that. Sometimes they are just backups, sometimes they are just busts, but one thing is for certain- They weren't Franchise QBs.

#2 Most dire need for the Browns: Center. Our line struggled last season under a turbulent Center position. We need to fix this but burning an early first round pick on a center not named Alex Mack would be foolish.... I mean, even when it WAS Alex Mack we didn't exactly win a lot of games because of it. I'm okay with picking up a player like Elflein or Pocic in the second round if available. I'm also okay with maybe waiting a little longer on Fuller or Orlowsky? But this position can be addressed without a first rounder.

#4- RB. Despite all the love for Crowell. Crowell isn't even as good as Richardson was for us his rookie year. Crowell is a slightly above average back and that's all he is going to be. He's not keeping defensive players up at night because of his RB prowess. However, Cleveland could strike a telling blow by landing a monster RB.

This is how you fix the Browns. Develop the talent we already have and get a few offensive cornerstones in the draft.

Nope- if you look at the stats objectively, the Browns had the #31 ranked defense in the NFL. #31 in sacks. The obvious glaring need for the Browns is a defender that can get to the qb. If we don't go qb @ #1 overall- it's going to be Garrett- forgone conclusion. Fournette even though he's a likely 1,000 yard rusher- well so can Crow be behind an improved o-line.

If Crowell is so good... and let me reiterate this again how much I hate talking down about Crow to show you that we NEED an upgrade at RB. Crowell is GOOD, Duke Johnson is GOOD, Leonard Fournette is GREAT.

If Crowell was so good then we wouldn't need 6 runningbacks on the roster. If Duke was so great he wouldn't be calling to come out the game every other play because he's dinged up. Fournette isn't going to need replaced every other play like Crowell and Johnson or the handful of other players we have out there. Fournette is going to be a stable presence play in and out that helps the offense gain and keep their rhythm.

Hey what about that RB we drafted a few years ago out of Alabama? He did well for one year, then he bounced around a bit...

Lol...I truely forgot how entertaining PoG was...

No clue about player eval, but damn good entertainment nonetheless.

Trying to remember if he's ever got one right...

He nailed Derek Carr to be fair to him.

The Browns need a QB.

The Browns need a RB.

The Browns need a C.

The Browns need a FS.

... and an edge rusher...

... and a thumping MLB...

... and a shutdown corner...

I note that you list a RB at #2 and Center at #3. You need to work on your "cause and effect" batting order.

And don't get me started on a "need-based" draft.

I can't converse with someone that keeps talking about Gordon. Hue has shut the door on that.

Fournette and Trub just cringed when they found out their biggest fan is a flake.

Zombo

Hue has shut the door on talking about him.. Not sure yet if he has shut the door on playing him.

Actually, he reiterated after the Season that we have moved on.

Zombo

Well Z, I mentioned we still have Gordon's rights- which may have some trade value if we want to go after your fave Jimmy G. If Sportrac and CBS are right, it will cost us $1.6 million to keep him around another year as a RFA. Doubt that will happen.

Archived