THE BROWNS BOARD

Top Draft Needs of Teams

The Gipper

Per NFL.com these are the Top 3 draft needs of the teams with the first Ten picks in the Draft:

1. Browns: QB, DB, OL

2. 49ers: QB, OLB, OL

3. Bears: QB, DB, OL

4. Jags: OL, DT, Safety

5. Titans: CB, WR, TE

6. Jets: QB, OLB, CB

7. Chargers: OT, WR, QB

8. Panthers: OT, DE, WR

9. Bengals: Center, LB, DE

10. Bills: OT, WR, DB

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the Browns don't draft based exclusively on need. The best one-liner I can come up with for a solid draft strategy would be "draft where the draft's strengths align with the team's needs."

With so many needs, the Browns should be able to do that easily. We need pass-rushers and DBs, both strengths of this draft.

Per NFL.com these are the Top 3 draft needs of the teams with the first Ten picks in the Draft:

2. 49ers: QB, OLB, OL

3. Bears: QB, DB, OL

4. Jags: OL, DT, Safety

5. Titans: CB, WR, TE

6. Jets: QB, OLB, CB

7. Chargers: OT, WR, QB

8. Panthers: OT, DE, WR

9. Bengals: Center, LB, DE

10. Bills: OT, WR, DB

I think you are right that Trub won't get out of Top Three.

I'll still take Garrett and Grop.

Zombo

SB Nation has their mock draft looking like this:

1. Browns Garrett DE

2. 49ers Trubisky QB

3. Bears Watson QB

4. Jags Allen DE

5. Titans Hooker S

6. Jets Kizer QB

7. Chargers Jamal Adams S

8. Panthers Fournette RB

9. Bengals Mike Williams WR

10. Bills Marlon Humphries CB

12. Browns Pepper S

BRowns: Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M TexasAM_logo.gif
As it stands now, the four candidates or the No. 1 pick in the 2017 NFL Draft are Myles Garrett, Jonathan Allen, DeShone Kizer and Mitch Trubisky. The Browns obviously need a quarterback, and I believe Trubisky is what Hue Jackson is looking for. Trubisky has his flaws, but he's very accurate and has a quick release. Jackson may envision Trubisky as his new Andy Dalton.

However, Adam Schefter has reported that the Browns have an "astronomical grade" on Garrett, which is interesting. Cleveland needs a pass-rusher as well, and Garrett would be an enormous upgrade.

The question is, would the Browns take Garrett over Trubisky when they're desperate for a franchise quarterback? Well, there is precedent for this, as the Texans picked Jadeveon Clowney when they really needed a signal-caller in the 2014 NFL Draft. Houston simply had Clowney way above all the quarterbacks, and that could be the case with Cleveland and Garrett.

SB Nation has their mock draft looking like this:

1. Browns Garrett DE

2. 49ers Trubisky QB

3. Bears Watson QB

4. Jags Allen DE

5. Titans Hooker S

6. Jets Kizer QB

7. Chargers Jamal Adams S

8. Panthers Fournette RB

9. Bengals Mike Williams WR

10. Bills Marlon Humphries CB

12. Browns Pepper S

Forget the Trubisky v. Garett or Allen debate. I would shit glass if we took Peppers at 12.

As painful as that would be... Ditto...

Well... NFL.com nailed one out of three...

As painful as that would be... Ditto...

Well... NFL.com nailed one out of three...

What? You think our priorities are kicker, long snapper and buttboy?

Face it, our primary needs ARE QB, DBs, OL.

I know you suppose it is edge rusher. It is not, actually. Not saying we can't use one....but I am saying that given the relative talent at the positions, we are further behind the 8 ball with these 3 than with other positions.

This writer...and likely our Front Office see the likes of Ogbah, Nassib, Orchard, Collins as being a core of edge rushing personell being way ahead of the likes of what we have in the DB, and certainly at QB, and what we have at OC and on the right side of our OL.

I have to agree with that assessment. We have a greater relative dearth of talent at those spots than we do at DE/OLB.

Again, not saying we can't use a killer out there....just saying that what we have there is better than what we have in those other spots.

I know I'm salty.....but NO PEPPERS for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MUCK FISHIGAN....NOW YOU KNOW WHERE I STAND!!!

GO BROWNS!!!?

Why not just link me to the article so I know what you think?

What article? The NFL.com article about teams biggest draft needs, or the SBNation mock draft article?

And how would giving you that link help you know what I think?

Don't you think that I have expressed my own thoughts sufficiently?

If so, let me spell it out: EDGE RUSHER IS NOT ONE OF THE BROWNS TOP 3 NEEDS.

I want one, I want more. That doesn't make it a priority.

If so, let me spell it out: EDGE RUSHER IS NOT ONE OF THE BROWNS TOP 3 NEEDS.

And you would be absolutely wrong. Have you not been paying attention to how long our poor DBs have to cover receivers and how many times teams have stung us 3rd and long? Wake up and smell the coffee. A pass rush can give our offense the ball at least 2-4 more times a game than we are currently able to do. If your D stays on the field it wears out and how many games did we wear out in the second half? Why? No pass rush.

And you would be absolutely wrong. Have you not been paying attention to how long our poor DBs have to cover receivers and how many times teams have stung us 3rd and long? Wake up and smell the coffee. A pass rush can give our offense the ball at least 2-4 more times a game than we are currently able to do. If your D stays on the field it wears out and how many games did we wear out in the second half? Why? No pass rush.

Let me be clear.....I agree that we need a pass rusher. No doubt.

But I am saying to you that I think that this FO of the Browns may have their beliefs in the guys they took last year to supply that pass rush.

And that they may in fact consider that Ogbah, Nassib to have a higher talent value than the guys that currently occupy the DB, certain OL, and certainly QB position.

Besides....clearly others don't agree with you either, in terms of priority. NFL.com has QB, DB, OL listed as top 3 priorities.

Why don't you contact them and argue with them?

This writer...and likely our Front Office see the likes of Ogbah, Nassib, Orchard, Collins as being a core of edge rushing personell being way ahead of the likes of what we have in the DB, and certainly at QB, and what we have at OC and on the right side of our OL.

I have to agree with that assessment.

What article? The NFL.com article about teams biggest draft needs, or the SBNation mock draft article?

And how would giving you that link help you know what I think?

Don't you think that I have expressed my own thoughts sufficiently?

I took "this writer" to be the author of an article.

I am simply not used to the phrase being used by a poster, who then assumes he is in tune with our FO and then agrees with the claimed joint assessment.

But nothing you post should surprise me anymore...

I took "this writer" to be the author of an article.

I am simply not used to the phrase being used by a poster, who then assumes he is in tune with our FO and then agrees with the claimed joint assessment.

But nothing you post should surprise me anymore...

no, you should know by now how astute I am. You should not be surprised by my well reasoned, logical assertions.aand by my research. By no means.

and here is your link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000714737/article/2017-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-for-every-team

• 2 weeks later...

This link discusses the needs of the Top 5 teams in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000714737/article/2017-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-for-every-team

In the video the commentators say that the needs are:

Browns...Quarterback

49ers....Quarterback

Bears....Quarterback

Jags....Running Back

Titans...Wide Receiver

They do not speculate on what QBs could go to each of the first 3 teams. I speculate that perhaps 2 of these teams will take QBs.

On the Jags, they think that Fournette could be the pick there. (though I have seen Dalvin Cook surpass him in many rankings)

On the Tits, they think that Mike Williams of Clemson is a perfect fit for that team.....and I certainly cannot argue with that.

And if you click on this within that link, well you get a different take. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776348/article/mock-draft-10-myles-garrett-goes-no-1-to-browns

A mock draft is different from a list of priority needs. The item I linked said that the first 3 teams drafting have a QB as their biggest need. It doesn't propose that all three teams take a QB.

While it may be all well and good to say that the Browns should select player X....it is because that is who the writer of the mock thinks should go first, because of talent, etc.

But, a defensive end is NOT the biggest need of the Cleveland Browns. We have young players Ogbah/Nassib/Cooper etc. at that spot. It is a fairly well armed spot on this team....comparatively. (not that DE or any other spot can't use improvement).

Our defensive backfield is in worse shape than our DL. A spot along the OL is worse. The QB spot is worse.

We might take the DE because of his theoretical talent, and if he works out, great. But those other spots would still continue to be greater needs.

BPA-I'll preach it all day. Don't jump for positions of need. Let the player rise to the team. It's not that we don't actually have plenty of places to land with BPA that this team could use desperately. And our woeful # of sacks and QB pressures speaks for itself.

BPA-I'll preach it all day. Don't jump for positions of need. Let the player rise to the team. It's not that we don't actually have plenty of places to land with BPA that this team could use desperately. And our woeful # of sacks and QB pressures speaks for itself.

This

^^^ This. In spades.

Then you contradict yourself a bit. On the one hand you say....go for BPA, then in then next you say "go for the need because of our poor pressure". So, which is it.

With this caveat: It is not my opinion necessarily that the BPA is in fact a defensive player.

if you strictly by BPA, then who seems like more a perenial All-pro elite player...

Jamal Adams, Hooker, or Garrett? When you have a pro bowl tackle, and a fine RT, why

would you ignore some desperate needs in the process of deciding who to draft?

You'd draft the top player in the draft even if he was a LT ?

I'm not sold on Garrett being that pass rush solution. Maybe he is. But pass rush won't matter when the

qb can throw to a wide open te or wr in one second. Ya need some balance there.

Need a dynamic safety at FS. Look at the depth chart. Need a taller shut down corner, Boddy-Calhoun's size

limits him.

Maybe the BPA ends up being an offensive player, that not many have heard of yet. BPA is only part of the pick

appraisal. If you had to pick between Adams and Garrett, how do you figure which is the BPA when

they play different positions?

Meanwhile, this kid can play..interesting article.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-draft-meet-forrest-lamp-the-nfls-next-great-guard-prospect/

Then you contradict yourself a bit. On the one hand you say....go for BPA, then in then next you say "go for the need because of our poor pressure". So, which is it.

With this caveat: It is not my opinion necessarily that the BPA is in fact a defensive player.

Not a contradiction at all. I'm merely pointing out that BPA @ #1 overall happens to fill one of those many glaring needs. The player rises to the team. 1+1=2.

Edit: And the reason I gave the info on that need is that you usually leave it out or try to argue that who we have in Nassib, Ogbah, etc. are just fine. If they were we would not be so woeful as a defensive pressure team.

if you strictly by BPA, then who seems like more a perenial All-pro elite player...

Jamal Adams, Hooker, or Garrett? When you have a pro bowl tackle, and a fine RT, why

would you ignore some desperate needs in the process of deciding who to draft?

You'd draft the top player in the draft even if he was a LT ?

I'm not sold on Garrett being that pass rush solution. Maybe he is. But pass rush won't matter when the

qb can throw to a wide open te or wr in one second. Ya need some balance there.

Need a dynamic safety at FS. Look at the depth chart. Need a taller shut down corner, Boddy-Calhoun's size

limits him.

Maybe the BPA ends up being an offensive player, that not many have heard of yet. BPA is only part of the pick

appraisal. If you had to pick between Adams and Garrett, how do you figure which is the BPA when

they play different positions?

Meanwhile, this kid can play..interesting article.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-draft-meet-forrest-lamp-the-nfls-next-great-guard-prospect/

Interesting commentary. From what I've gathered Garrett is the BPA at #1. However, there's a strong argument that can be made for Leonard Fournette. Defensive ends might have longer NFL lifespans than running backs. Does one then consider potential length of service as a factor in determining the value of a player? If the #1 ranked BPA plays a position with an average NFL lifespan of 3.5 years, and the #2 ranked BPA plays a position with an average NFL lifespan of 6.5 years...which one is truly more valuable?

Interesting commentary. From what I've gathered Garrett is the BPA at #1. However, there's a strong argument that can be made for Leonard Fournette. Defensive ends might have longer NFL lifespans than running backs. Does one then consider potential length of service as a factor in determining the value of a player? If the #1 ranked BPA plays a position with an average NFL lifespan of 3.5 years, and the #2 ranked BPA plays a position with an average NFL lifespan of 6.5 years...which one is truly more valuable?

The All-Pro future HOFer that lasts 13 years for the Browns, Myles Garrett. :lol:

Shame on me. Could not resist the bait. Here fishy, fishy. :D

I'll take Fournette and Trubisky,

Archived