THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns to make pitch for Jimmy G // Trubisky #1 QB on their board

DKAllDay

Hey if we draft Garrett @ #1, I want to see a disruptive force. Von Miller good- that's the standard he's going to be held to. I won't have any problems with that.

I think that is what most people expect. That said, I recally many on here claiming Clowney was a bust. I don't think many claim that now. The point is that it sometimes takes some time.

If we take Garrett ,which we should, I can already hear people calling him a bust because he didn't have any sacks in his first game.

I can turn that around. If we take Mitch, he better start game 1 and play as well as Brady. If he does that, I won't have any problems.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many fans and analysts are quick to point out, "How many other Patriots QB's have gone on to play well?" Here's the thing, it's not exactly apples to oranges, ok? What's the difference? For starters, Garoppolo was drafted in the second round. That's a pretty high pick, and there was more than one OC who had him as their number 1 QB in the DRAFT, one of them being our very own, Shannahan. Sure, it was a late second round pick, but still, what round was Matt Cassell drafted in? Yeah, the seventh. Furthermore, Cassell didn't even START in college. That's right, go back and see how many passes he threw during his college tenure. Now let's look at Brian Hoyer. Actually, let's not. We know his story (ahem..not drafted, right?). Ok, so let's look at Ryan Mallett. He was drafted in the 3rd round, which is very close to where Garoppolo was taken, but that's where the similarities end. Mallett was a big guy with a VERY slow delivery and subpar mobility. The market for Garoppolo is said to be a 1st round pick and possibly a 4th. That might be too high, but that's what we've all heard, right? Anybody here remember what Mallett was traded for? Yeah...I think it was a conditional 7th rounder. Could be wrong, but I don't think I am. By comparison, Garoppolo has solid size, a lightning quick delivery, terrific accuracy, and the ONLY reason the Patriots are even THINKING about trading him, is because they know they can't afford to keep him. In the true Patriot way, they will look to get something for an asset, rather than waiting for the player's contract to expire and get NOTHING when they walk.

To complete my point, our radio show has interviewed multiple analysts and experts, and EACH ONE has said that Jimmy Garoppolo, if he was coming out of school this season, would likely be rated the number one QB entering the draft. Can anybody truthfully say that about Mallett? Hoyer? Cassell? No. So I really don't want to hear anymore about, "The other Patriot QB's didn't do squat when they left!!!" It's NOT the same.

Many fans and analysts are quick to point out, "How many other Patriots QB's have gone on to play well?" Here's the thing, it's not exactly apples to oranges, ok? What's the difference? For starters, Garoppolo was drafted in the second round. That's a pretty high pick, and there was more than one OC who had him as their number 1 QB in the DRAFT, one of them being our very own, Shannahan. Sure, it was a late second round pick, but still, what round was Matt Cassell drafted in? Yeah, the seventh. Furthermore, Cassell didn't even START in college. That's right, go back and see how many passes he threw during his college tenure. Now let's look at Brian Hoyer. Actually, let's not. We know his story (ahem..not drafted, right?). Ok, so let's look at Ryan Mallett. He was drafted in the 3rd round, which is very close to where Garoppolo was taken, but that's where the similarities end. Mallett was a big guy with a VERY slow delivery and subpar mobility. The market for Garoppolo is said to be a 1st round pick and possibly a 4th. That might be too high, but that's what we've all heard, right? Anybody here remember what Mallett was traded for? Yeah...I think it was a conditional 7th rounder. Could be wrong, but I don't think I am. By comparison, Garoppolo has solid size, a lightning quick delivery, terrific accuracy, and the ONLY reason the Patriots are even THINKING about trading him, is because they know they can't afford to keep him. In the true Patriot way, they will look to get something for an asset, rather than waiting for the player's contract to expire and get NOTHING when they walk.

To complete my point, our radio show has interviewed multiple analysts and experts, and EACH ONE has said that Jimmy Garoppolo, if he was coming out of school this season, would likely be rated the number one QB entering the draft. Can anybody truthfully say that about Mallett? Hoyer? Cassell? No. So I really don't want to hear anymore about, "The other Patriot QB's didn't do squat when they left!!!" It's NOT the same.

Quit making sense.

Frowned upon here.

Zombo

Is there proof that Shanahan had JG as the number one QB in the draft? All I've seen is speculation that he liked him, that's about it.

Further, can you provide proof of these analysts saying JG is better than every QB in this draft? Because I haven't seen it.

I can make unsubstantiated claims as well. Hue Jackson already bought Mitch Trubisky a new house. Jimmy Haslam's illegitimate son is DeShone Kizer.

If Shanahan had JG as his #1 QB, then it's all but settled - SF will be signing him.

Not sure about that last point.....but at best, I would give value for value.

The Pats assessed him to be a mid to late 2d round pick. At most I would give them our #52 pick.

And that's it....or maybe like a 6th or 7th rounder to sweeten the deal. But that is it.

Is there proof that Shanahan had JG as the number one QB in the draft? All I've seen is speculation that he liked him, that's about it.

Further, can you provide proof of these analysts saying JG is better than every QB in this draft? Because I haven't seen it.

I can make unsubstantiated claims as well. Hue Jackson already bought Mitch Trubisky a new house. Jimmy Haslam's illegitimate son is DeShone Kizer.

If Shanahan had JG as his #1 QB, then it's all but settled - SF will be signing him.

Fair point. One thing I do NOT want the Browns to do is to get into a bidding war over this guy. Sorry, Browns have other viable options. They don't have to make the deal for him unless it is on their terms,

and as I said, imo, their terms should be nothing higher than #52.

I agree on a 2nd. We might have to do better than a 6th or 7th. We are going to have 3 compensatory 4th rounders and a compencatory pick in the 5th. We can give some combination.

I like the idea of JG in a trade so we don't have to reach for a QB. Move on from RGIII, have kessler as the back-up and draft a player this year. I like Chad Kelly.

I agree on a 2nd. We might have to do better than a 6th or 7th. We are going to have 3 compensatory 4th rounders and a compencatory pick in the 5th. We can give some combination.

I like the idea of JG in a trade so we don't have to reach for a QB. Move on from RGIII, have kessler as the back-up and draft a player this year. I like Chad Kelly.

I consider that Plan B.

(Its just that I don't think that taking Trubisky would be a reach...any more than anyone else.)

They are saying next years QB draft class is far better than this years ........ who comes out next year ?

It was mentioned elsewhere. Rosen, Allen, Browning. But I am not so sure. It may have more depth than this years, but I am not sure that anyone next year will be better than the Top two from this year: MT/Watson

They are saying next years QB draft class is far better than this years ........ who comes out next year ?

Lamar Jackson and Josh Rosen are two. They would have to declare, but history shows that is the grade is good enough, they come out.

The only proof is what I heard on the radio show (Nathan Zegura), who has said multiple times that the people he interviewed (analysts/writers) said they rated JG higher than any of the incoming draftees. The proof of Shanahan liking JG can be found in multiple articles, including:

https://www.all22.com/cleveland-browns/former-browns-oc-kyle-shanahan-reportedly-liked-jimmy-garoppolo-2014-draft

So do I have "smoking gun proof"? No, of course not. I only have what a respected radio show host said, and I only have multiple articles which stated Shanahan favored JG. My statement is hardly "unsubstantiated proof", and I did not concoct my post out of thin air. If you require additional documentation, I'm sure I can get it.

The only proof is what I heard on the radio show (Nathan Zegura), who has said multiple times that the people he interviewed (analysts/writers) said they rated JG higher than any of the incoming draftees. The proof of Shanahan liking JG can be found in multiple articles, including:

https://www.all22.com/cleveland-browns/former-browns-oc-kyle-shanahan-reportedly-liked-jimmy-garoppolo-2014-draft

So do I have "smoking gun proof"? No, of course not. I only have what a respected radio show host said, and I only have multiple articles which stated Shanahan favored JG. My statement is hardly "unsubstantiated proof", and I did not concoct my post out of thin air. If you require additional documentation, I'm sure I can get it.

"Liking" JG and "rating him higher than any other QB" is different.

I hope he did rate him higher than any other QB. Let him take him SF. That just gives us a better chance at getting Garrett AND a top QB.

Thank you. It is truly not the same. Well said.

Mike

Jimmy G is a different player than any previous NE backup who has started Pat games under Bill B... not that it is all that many. Here's the list:

• Cassell - 30 games/ 15 starts; 88.2 rating
  • Garoppolo - 17/ 2; 106.2
  • Brissett - 3/ 2; 83.9

That's it... that's the list. There's only one "comparable", Cassell. While Jimmy's rating looks superior, let's remember the impact of having tape on a player. Let's also remember Jimmy managed to last thru only 2 of the 4 games he was slated to start.

It's the circumstances Jimmy would come out of that are the same... the New England "system".

I have no interest in looking to a used QB for our future.

"Liking" JG and "rating him higher than any other QB" is different.

I hope he did rate him higher than any other QB. Let him take him SF. That just gives us a better chance at getting Garrett AND a top QB.

Yes it is, but I'm pretty sure I read a quote that stated Shanahan had a first round grade on JG, and wanted him above all else. I'll try and find it.

Archived