THE BROWNS BOARD

Foster failed drug test

htownbrown

OK, I worked in a hospital lab for many years. "Dilute" is measured by a thing called specific gravity. It's weight\volume, and pure water is the standard = 1.000 . Ha, to digress- lead is around 11.0, meaning a given volume of lead is 11X heavier than the same volume of water. "Normal" specific gravity of urine is around 1.010 to 1.030, though it can go higher (dehydrated) or lower (diabetics). I don't know what the NFL cutoff is, but I would flag anything lower than 1.003 as "suspicious". 1.000 definitely- someone is peeing pure water. :)

story reads it was a diluted failure test caused by a food poisoning drug Foster took..Is that possible? cranberry tablets/ or juicing cranberry diluted a friends tests she failed..Is this a better possibility? Hate to see the Doc's office that cost him a few Million..

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

story reads it was a diluted failure test caused by a food poisoning drug Foster took..Is that possible? cranberry tablets/ or juicing cranberry diluted a friends tests she failed..Is this a better possibility? Hate to see the Doc's office that cost him a few Million..

Regarding cranberry- nothing in that stuff I'm aware of that could cause a failure. If the drug he was taking was a diuretic (makes you pee a lot) and you're drinking a lot of water- possible. But if that was Foster's problem- easy enough to show the powers that be your prescription bottle- and that would solve the problem. Smells a little of Haden getting busted for adderal, and Josh getting reamed for purple drank. (Which is phenergan + codeine) I can tell you from personal experience in it's legit use, it's the best cough medicine out there. But, get your hands on some, swill an entire bottle of it, wash it down with 4-5 doubles of whiskey- you're going to get a hell of a buzz off it.

There are a lot of reasons one would have a diluted test....and, for sure, weed smokers are plentiful in this league......JG seems to be the only one who ever lost years based upon petty drug test fails....cough syrup.....microscopic traces of weed.....a drink with his buddies......his suspensions are unprecedented, actually.....

So....dont know why Foster had a diluted test(probably weed).....but it doesnt concern me too much......EXCEPT the fact that now he will be a one strike in the league drug protocol.....which makes him one step closer to a suspension than everybody else......

Basically starting in the hole(ala Gordon).....

But, Id still strongly consider picking him at 12.....even though he's a prick, plays a position of less need and might smoke dope.....just think he's that good.....

Regarding cranberry- nothing in that stuff I'm aware of that could cause a failure. If the drug he was taking was a diuretic (makes you pee a lot) and you're drinking a lot of water- possible. But if that was Foster's problem- easy enough to show the powers that be your prescription bottle- and that would solve the problem. Smells a little of Haden getting busted for adderal, and Josh getting reamed for purple drank. (Which is phenergan + codeine) I can tell you from personal experience in it's legit use, it's the best cough medicine out there. But, get your hands on some, swill an entire bottle of it, wash it down with 4-5 doubles of whiskey- you're going to get a hell of a buzz off it.

All great points Larry. That said, Gordon said he took that purple drink (cough medicine) for Strept Throat. He's such a good liar that this went over a lot of heads.

When Gordon first came to Cleveland, I wanted the guy to succeed and show people why people deserve another chance. Then I read despite his elite talent/performance in high school - he turned off all major DI programs except for Baylor. Then he got kicked off Baylor's team twice (college football's version of getting kicked out of Sodom or Gomorrah) before transferring to Utah and never playing there.

Here he is today in 2017 with 5 NFL games (0 TD receptions) to his name since 2013 because he can't pass piss tests for 1 full calendar year. He's got a God given talent that would pay him double digit millions if he prioritized football enough to make the sacrifice. Football always came so easy to Gordon that he seemed bored with the lack of challenge.

lets risk a top 20 pick in a deep draft on a one year hit with one strike on the drug policy and character concerns and a predisposition towards thug mentality...

Brilliant...

I'd rather have Joe Mixon in the 2nd than Foster at 12

Can't get kicked out of the combine if you aren't invited in the first place!

There are a lot of reasons one would have a diluted test....and, for sure, weed smokers are plentiful in this league......JG seems to be the only one who ever lost years based upon petty drug test fails....cough syrup.....microscopic traces of weed.....a drink with his buddies......his suspensions are unprecedented, actually.....

So....dont know why Foster had a diluted test(probably weed).....but it doesnt concern me too much......EXCEPT the fact that now he will be a one strike in the league drug protocol.....which makes him one step closer to a suspension than everybody else......

Basically starting in the hole(ala Gordon).....

But, Id still strongly consider picking him at 12.....even though he's a prick, plays a position of less need and might smoke dope.....just think he's that good.....

Man, every time I tried to watch highlights of Jonathan Allen and other Bama defenders - Foster kept jumping off the screen as the most impressive guy. He's very tempting but the red flags couldn't be coming at the worst time. He got kicked out of the Combines and now this. So what happens with a guy like this? A team that CAN afford to take the risk with their overall talent load probably will and get rewarded for doing so. If we do it? He'll probably get suspended while we get treated to another episode of hearing about all the guys we could have drafted at #12 instead. Mudsies, I gotta go with this: If he's too high for 12 then 12 is too high for him.

We drafted a LBer kind of like that once upon a time named Chip Banks out of USC. He was a 3rd overall pick in 1982 and made the Pro Bowl for us in 82, 83, 85 and 86. While that doesn't suck at all but his performance had an abrupt drop off. I didn't know of any pot use during his college days; but I think he got suspended or in trouble for it in 86 when his career/performance started to spiral downward. He left Cleveland to play in SD in 87, was unemployed in 88 and went to the Indy Colts from 89-93 as a fraction of the guy he used to be. In comparison, we drafted another less hyped USC LBer Clay Matthews in 1978 who stayed with us at a reliable performance level until 1993.

Man, every time I tried to watch highlights of Jonathan Allen and other Bama defenders - Foster kept jumping off the screen as the most impressive guy. He's very tempting but the red flags couldn't be coming at the worst time. He got kicked out of the Combines and now this. So what happens with a guy like this? A team that CAN afford to take the risk with their overall talent load probably will and get rewarded for doing so.

Currency....the word I keep hearing......and we have more than anybody, right?.....how can we NOT afford it?

Currency....the word I keep hearing......and we have more than anybody, right?.....how can we NOT afford it?

Like I already typed in the part you carefully chose not to cut and paste: If we do it (draft Foster at #12)? He'll probably get suspended while we get treated to another episode of hearing about all the guys we could have drafted at #12 instead. Mudsies, I gotta go with this: If he's too high for #12 then #12 is too high for him.

except, I dont know if he's high or not......a diluted sample does not necessarily mean he's on drugs....

As a friendly counter to your comment.....he'll probably get drafted low and turn into a hall of famer, while we get treated to another episode of hearing about the superstar we passed on.....

As I've said before, I see two alpha males in this draft: Adams and Foster. The first is out of reach for me; the 2nd may have just gotten cheaper.

I see a lot of "uninformed" (I'm trying to be kind) takes in this thread, but since most are locking down previous leanings, if not convictions, I kinda understand some of them.

For me this fail simply raised a question mark. One that I may be able to resolve Tuesday... see my uprooted post below...

Depends on whether you believe his "dehydration" explanation. The fact that he jumped in front of this story, that he made it public and contacted every team personally to make his case speaks volumes to me. Bit as Louis Reddick (IIRC) said on both NFL insiders and Live yesterday, at this point teams are looking at this "fail" as "confirmation bias"... same as they do any new information on any prospect at this point in the draft prep process. In other words if they were leaning "no", then they are now likely a firm no. But if they were still a firm "yes" after the Combine dust up, then they are likelier to remain a yes pending the results of renewed due diligence.

One positive for Foster is that several FOs have told Riddick that he has never tested positive for anything at any level. Another is that in general teams have satisfied themselves that the Combine incident had an antagonist on the hospital staff as well. Plus if you add in a physical illness factor on Foster's side of the ledger, it makes his over reaction more understandable. But key here is that any "food poisoning" should have been part of the initial narrative Foster supplied. If it was not, then teams have a legitimate reason to doubt him.

While I am still pro-Foster at 12, obviously the one thing I can't do is meet with him face-to-face and take a personal measure of his "story". But I will have a opportunity to do the next best thing... see him tell it.

Foster is scheduled to be on NFL Insiders and NFL Live this Tuesday.

So I'll get back to y'all late, Tuesday afternoon...

This is great news....means we can have him at 12.....along with Garrett....

... or lower... if enough teams are offput, then a trade down of 12 to a spot that still lands Foster could be sweet. But if I am convinced enough of the truth of his explanation to do that, I'm likely not the only one that';s been convinced.

except, I dont know if he's high or not..

1 issues bother me..1.you work to hard to finally get paid & you got to know it's all about passing that drug test coming..You got to Control the Questions of what goes in your body.. a 2nd maybe Paranoid!!.some nurses or doctors can make dopers panic worst than a cop..Combine imo was pure dopers panic as I see it now

Just watched Reuben on NFL Insiders... He's halfway back on my board.

Started off on-on-one with hostess for the show, on bar stools in open stage clearly uncomfortable and expecting the "diluted" and "hospital altercation" questions. She instead started off with "So what was the most unusual question you were asked?" It threw him.... he came up empty.

Then came "diluted" and he retold his illness story. Said he became ill a week before and dropped to 223# and knew that weight would alarm teams expecting him at 229. With food not staying in him, he resorted to pounding fluids, not just to hydrate, but keep weight... and he did.

Then she hit him with another non-red-flag question... and he did better, but was still seemed distracted waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Question three was the altercation. While he did not go into details of what happened, he went into what he did to make amends for it. He apologized to a long list of staff from Dr.'s to the Head Nurse and her staff to the nurse with which he got into the verbal altercation. He was contrite, he was humble, he was genuine.

I could see the weight of the wait to address both issues come off of him.

Next he was asked about folks who simply would not believe him in either event, to which he simply replied that he understood some would not, but he'd done all he could do. That he can only give his word that what he said was true and point to the fact that in his BAMA time he never failed a test, never caused a problem, was never disciplined for any problem.

The work done he then beamed through answers to final questions about family and what it will mean to be drafted.

They then went to a video board where McShay was waiting to look at a couple of his plays and Foster was beaming. Rather than McShay breaking down what he saw, Todd had Foster talk him through both plays. What he saw pre-snap... What were his keys... What were his thoughts on the move.

Foster killed it... he not only nailed his part, but ID's the formation... which offensive players were tipping what... what were his teammates' responsibilities. He was fast. He was thorough. He was authoritative. His love of the game was obvious.

At the end of the the first play, a counter run with Foster having to meet the pulling TE in the hole and stuff him, Todd asked "What next". Foster replied, "Just be a dog," as he shucked the TE and dove into the runner's legs taking him to the ground.

If possible he was even more impressive breaking down the second play, a pass play where he ended up with a breakup on a shallow cross route by his third option on the play. An option he had to select based upon reads he anticipated two of his teammates would make based upon what he saw. All this in a span of maybe 3 seconds with one of his teammates behind him and the crosser at best in his peripheral vision.

He blew me away...

Hugs all around and the segment was over.

Yup..... halfway back on my board. He's following up on NFL Live which I've DVR'd for viewing a little later. I like his chances of coming all the way back.

He's a beast. "Just be a dog." Love it. He can lead our entire defense for 10 years with that line alone.

I wonder though if his small stature will mean his body can't cash the checks his attitude is writing?

He's a beast. "Just be a dog." Love it. He can lead our entire defense for 10 years with that line alone.

I wonder though if his small stature will mean his body can't cash the checks his attitude is writing?

Good question... and a question I've raised with Budda Baker.

I like Reuben's chances better than I like Budda's. From what I've seen he's a heads-up, form tackler, not primarily a roll blocking tackler. Plus at 229 he's not tiny and will likely add another 10 pounds pretty easily.

Most impressive besides arriving to the ball with an attitude is the fact he reads plays so well and knows his assignment when he sniffs it out. I have always suspected he spends hours watching tape of his opponents up next, something I would expect from a great pro player.

Update: The follow up interview segment on NFL LIve was a pretty bland repeat with Wendy Nix subbing for Trey Wingo, who was traveling to Philly, and then a board session with Mark May... who did all the talking.

Added just enough to put him all the way back on my board. He's my pick at 12, if he's there. Only Adams and Thomas, in that order, would beat him out for that pick.

Update: The follow up interview segment on NFL LIve was a pretty bland repeat with Wendy Nix subbing for Trey Wingo, who was traveling to Philly, and then a board session with Mark May... who did all the talking.

Added just enough to put him all the way back on my board. He's my pick at 12, if he's there. Only Adams and Thomas, in that order, would beat him out for that pick.

Tour you seem very confident he won't be a suspension couch potato. Why?

Tour you seem very confident he won't be a suspension couch potato. Why?

The joy for football he showed in his face during the segment with McShay was overwhelming.

Searched for video, but came up empty.

Id pick him at 12 in a second.....

You never know with any player, what they will become and this one has been a dependable hard working - hard playing teammate for years....never an issue...no arrests...no suspensions....no history of drugs....

Unlike some of our other problem children, who had extensive histories of trouble before they were drafted....

At this point, nobody has shown that he's done anything wrong....except hydrate....

Archived