THE BROWNS BOARD

OT Brush With Greatness

Zombo

A little something different, we can move this to the Barber shop after it has its run, we have more of an audience here.

I used to like the David Letterman "Brush with Greatness" where schmoes would tell there story of meeting a celebrity.

We should all share one such encounter.

What reminded me of this is today would be Kirk Douglass's 100th birthday if he was still alive ... Wait, he IS still alive!

I lived in Jersey, just outside of NYC in the late 80s and we used to go into "the City" every we chance we got. My roomate had a friend from college that lived in Manhattan and was very connected, his Mom was married to the Editor of Time Magazine, didn't think much of it until this one night.

We go into the city and we are hanging out downtown at the hot new sports bar at the time, don't remember the name, but it was impressive for the 80's with big screens everywhere, two or three stories. This guy looks across the room and says "Oh, there's Mr. Douglass, I gotta say Hi." We look over there and he is sitting at a big table with his wife and family (probably his grandkids, Michael wasn't there). So this guy goes "do you want to meet him?". Of course we did. so we walk over, and this dude interrupts his dinner to say Hi, and Kirk, obviously knows him, shakes his hand and he introduces us and he poitely says Hi and shakes are hand and they shoot the breeze for awhile and we walk away and go watch the Knicks game or something. It was a bit surreal for a kid form Ridgway PA to meet a big time old school movie star like that.

I've got tons of others, since I worked in the airline business for year ... but that was the biggest name that I met and shook hands with.

Kirk+with+book.jpg

He wasn't real friendly, but was polite and "stately". I thought my friend was a dick to interrupt his dinner, actually.

Zombo

Excuse me Chris I have my G n R story here...

I was working at the truckstop it was semi busy (pun) and I seen some dudes came in. They were rock n roller types right? They had eyeliner and long hair but this one guy had on just a t shirt and jeans but looked very familiar. I came up to him and he said "you ain't gonna beat me up are ya Goddamn" I laughed and said he looked familiar. He pointed to his t shirt and it said "Adler"? I was still in question of who he was and he informs me of who he is. The dudes with him are snickering at him.

I took some pics with him and talked to him.

I was telling a buddy I met him and he asked.."did you tell him you play the guitar?" I said "fuck no he's played in front of millions why would he care?"

Oh he told me of his band "Adler" and they were touring with Ratt and Poison. First and only time I've been star struck.

Trent Richardson walked by me in Tuscaloosa this year.

I have a picture with Newt Gingrich.

Interviewed Johnny Manziel his senior year of HS when I was interning for scout.com.

In the same role, at 2010 two-a-days Von Miller and I would briefly chat before/after most practices.

Got to talk to Taylor Kitsch one time at an FNL filming for about 10 minutes. Great dude.

Trent Richardson walked by me in Tuscaloosa this year.

I have a picture with Newt Gingrich.

Interviewed Johnny Manziel his senior year of HS when I was interning for scout.com.

In the same role, at 2010 two-a-days Von Miller and I would briefly chat before/after most practices.

Got to talk to Taylor Kitsch one time at an FNL filming for about 10 minutes. Great dude.

You should've tackled Trent.

Two brushes with celebrities. First on our Honeymoon in Washington DC. Get on the hotel elevator, no doubt who else is there. Just me and Vincent Price. Yeah, I can be pretty oblivious. Having a late night dinner at my favorite restaurant, notice there's a good looking blonde a couple tables away. She leaves, and my pal the chef comes out and asks "did you see Morgan Fairchild?"

Famous hands shook:

• Pat Boone on a NYC street circa 1960. Asked him if I could take a picture of him. His reply, "Snap away." Pic is around here somewhere.
  • Jack Dempsey in "his restaurant" during same NYC trip. Biggest man I'd ever seen to that point.
  • Muhammad Ali after his CWRU speech 1973-ish. Massive hands...

About it excepting many of our '64 Championship team at their 25th (?) anniversary gathering on Hiram's campus.

Two brushes with celebrities. First on our Honeymoon in Washington DC. Get on the hotel elevator, no doubt who else is there. Just me and Vincent Price. Yeah, I can be pretty oblivious. Having a late night dinner at my favorite restaurant, notice there's a good looking blonde a couple tables away. She leaves, and my pal the chef comes out and asks "did you see Morgan Fairchild?"

Very cool.

So not me, but I can't pass up the opportunity of how my dad met President Barack Obama and hand to God had his undivided attention for a better part of 15 minutes.

At the time I was living in Greensboro, NC where Dad still is today. It was a normal Wednesday morning and my dad goes to work. Where he worked at the time was very near to the best, most-exclusive fitness center in town (which isn't saying a lot because Greensboro isn't some high-class town). However, it is where "top-tier" folks from out-of-town are told to get passes for when they wanted to work out in peace. Then president Barack Obama happens to be in Greensboro and wants a place to work out, and as noted above gets referred to this fitness center. As it turns out, my dad's boss happens to be working out when Obama comes in to workout (with a full detail of course). My boss, knowing my dad is a veteran who loves meetings presidents, casually goes over the security details and says he knows a veteran who would love a chance to meet his 5th U.S. President (crazy right?). Low and behold, Obama sort of overhears this conversation and tells my dad's boss sure! Let my guys vet him and have him come over.

So imagine the scene where my dad gets a call from his boss who tells him "You want to come meet President Obama" when three hours earlier he was waking up like it was any other day. Once he convinced my dad it wasn't a joke, he moseys over there in a big old OSU coat and fucking meets the leader of the free world. They exchange greetings and Obama was wearing a White Sox hat. Dad of course being a Indians fans ribs him for it and they joke a little. My dad being the badass he is then makes the statement "you know if there was more time I would sure love to share some stuff I think you're not getting right with America right now". I know my dad did this too because that's the type of dude he is. Obama to his surprise kind of looks at his watch and goes, "Actually, I always wish to hear from citizens what you are facing and I have a few minutes so talk to me".

That's how my dad went from waking up on a random weekday to talking about military/veteran affairs and immigration policy to the President in the span of 3 hours. I'd gladly share the picture but my dad is a pretty private guy so I don't think he'd want that out there.

Just a few very brief brushes.... with celebrity, greatness is a whole other matter..

Stood next to Martin Sheen to go up an elevator in Toronto. Did not get on the elevator with him as it was full.

Saw Ben Stein eating lunch on Rodeo drive....but you are bound to see a celebrity there, no?

But...how about this irony. Not a personal brush, but a story.

You remember the Drew Carey show. The character Mimi, was the secretary to the Vice President of Personell at the department store that was based on Halle's Dept. store. (the opening sequence of the show was filmed at Halle's.) That character was played by an actress named Kathy Kinney.

Kathy Kinney and my wife were together in the theater program at Wisconsin-Stevens Point Univ. They did props and acted together...but lost touch after school.

When I met my wife....her job was: the secretary to the Vice President of Personell at Halle's Department Store.

She was the real life Mimi essentially. A character played by her college classmate.

Had passing acquaintance with Edgar Winter and my brother with his older brother Johnny when we were all growing up in Beaumont, Texas. I was not surprised they became musicians since they had to spend a lot of time indoors due to albinism. He wouldn't know me from Adam though since we were not close friends or anything and I left Beaumont at age 12.

Had passing acquaintance with Edgar Winter and my brother with his older brother Johnny when we were all growing up in Beaumont, Texas. I was not surprised they became musicians since they had to spend a lot of time indoors due to albinism. He wouldn't know me from Adam though since we were not close friends or anything and I left Beaumont at age 12.

Beaumont? Damn, Ag... I been thinkin' I was catching the faint waft of coon-ass off your posts... now I find out I should have been having to open windows to air out the house...

So not me, but I can't pass up the opportunity of how my dad met President Barack Obama and hand to God had his undivided attention for a better part of 15 minutes.

Cool story... and in no way to try to one-up you...

My son-in-law was posted at our embassy in Panama for a couple o' three years. Our president attended a meeting in Panama City in 2015 and visited the American school the grandkids attended. I have a great photo of the three of them with the President kneeling in between them.

Coincidentally my grandson, then 6, said they talked about the same stuff with the Prez that your Dad did...

i made a barbecue chicken pizza for Josh Cribbs while working at Regina's pizza in Akron. I had a picture taken with him and then he had Rob (owner of Regina's) take another one so he could stand on his tippy toes.

Don Plusquelic did the same thing when I had my picture taken with him for an art project I participated in at Lock 3 back in the day. Famous-ish people don't like being towered over, apparently.

Beaumont? Damn, Ag... I been thinkin' I was catching the faint waft of coon-ass off your posts... now I find out I should have been having to open windows to air out the house...

When you have a friend with the last name of Hebert (e-bear with the "e" from the word hey), then you naturally learn to ski on the Pine Island Bayou. Likes some boudin an crawfish etoufee me. :)

Played a lot of hide and seek in the wake of the mosquito fogging machines. Splains evathin don't it.

Jrb, it's a brush with "greatness".....

Ya, I think Johnny Manziel trumps Leader of the Free World.

BTW ... Politics aside ... for those of you that remember the old Letterman show on NBC, "Greatness" should be taken with a grain of salt ... Dave loved to bring celebrities down a peg.

Zombo

Played a lot of hide and seek in the wake of the mosquito fogging machines. Splains evathin don't it.

lmao... yes it do...

"... and Ag's been in a fog ever since..."

Aside: How I do miss Sarten's... never could decide if I liked the B-B-Que crab or frogs' legs better...

Archived