THE BROWNS BOARD

Thinking about the draft, first two picks...arguing with myself...

calfoxwc

Yeah, unless the 49's are going to try the almost impossible route of "starting QB through free agency", it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to imagine them NOT taking a QB. I think the ONLY way they don't take a QB at #1 (or #2), is if they trade back a couple picks with a team that has a QB, but desperately wants somebody slotted to go very high. So maybe the Panthers want to trade with them, and they get draft picks and then take Watson...something like that. I could definitely see Chip Kelly falling in love with Watson.

But yeah...you're right. Unless they have a guy targeted in the second round, it's very hard to imagine them not going QB with their first pick. I think our biggest hope is that they covet Kizer over Mitch. I don't see it happening, nor has Kizer committed to the draft, but it's possible. The QB rankings ALWAYS change during the next 4-5 months. There are no Browns fans that expect any of our QB's to play well during these last weeks. Hue Jackson and our new "analytics" front office had one draft and one round of free agency to figure the QB situation out, and by all accounts, they have failed. They get it right in 2017, or else they might all be sent packing. Fair or not fair.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if we passon another Ezekiel or Joey Bosa this year ?

He's good. But Dallas has a passing game which helps the run game greatly. (and they have an OL) He would not be the same yardage machine here.

unless the 49's are going to try the almost impossible route of "starting QB through free agency", it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to imagine them NOT taking a QB

They won't trade their pick. They'll take the QB.....because they know they need one badly.....and because they want to win over there. We, on the other hand, have a plan......

Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?

These last four games are VERY important to many of our rookies, and we MUST have some positive play from them. The rookies are mostly healthy (finally!), and some of them have started to come on. Look at Devalve and Higgins from last week. They didn't "light it up", but they made a few plays and left the coaches with wanting to see more. Ogbah was also "around the QB" often, but needs to figure out ways of closing the deal. It would help if Nassib picked it up and provided pressure from the opposite side. He's not a rookie, but I'd love to see Shelton grab two more sacks as well. His play has been a REAL surprise, and people are starting to notice. I also want to see more balls to Coleman, and desperately want to see him make the plays. We need to see that "playmaker" ability he was known for, and find SOME way of getting him the ball in the open field.

If we can get our rookies (or most of them) finishing the season on a strong note, I think that would go a long way in strengthening our momentum after an otherwise miserable year.

Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?

Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.

still don't want Bosa. He isn't a fit in the lockerroom, etc. and he's injured....

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/4/13837370/joey-bosa-leg-injury-chargers-buccaneers

and Elliot would have been awesome to draft... but he wouldn't be the huge success behind

the Browns oline, and they had a lot of needs.

The ...grass....is....not....always......greener......on......the.....other......side.....of...the...fence.

Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/117798/the-sec-dl-who-will-have-the-best-2016-is-myles-garrett-vs-jonathan-allen

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-jonathan-allen-myles-garrett-first-2017-mock-draft/

The one thing about Garret - his stats aren't as good vs SEC competition as Allens. And, the one thing Garrett needs to

work on, is getting off blocks.

Meanwhile, Allen is unblockable, can come from any angle, any side. There are better blockers in the pros.

I think PFF has it right. Allen is the better pick.

I'm cool with either. From a scheme fit perspective, Allen seems perfect for a 3-4 DE, 5-tech like Des Bryant, while Garrett looks, like Bosa, to be a more natural fit as a 4-3 DE.

A DL of Allen, Shelton and Ogbah could do a lot of damage.

still don't want Bosa. He isn't a fit in the lockerroom, etc. and he's injured....

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/4/13837370/joey-bosa-leg-injury-chargers-buccaneers

and Elliot would have been awesome to draft... but he wouldn't be the huge success behind

the Browns oline, and they had a lot of needs.

The ...grass....is....not....always......greener......on......the.....other......side.....of...the...fence.

Not a locker room fit.....?

Too talented?

At the moment I prefer Allen to Garrett but that can change in time.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/117798/the-sec-dl-who-will-have-the-best-2016-is-myles-garrett-vs-jonathan-allen

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-jonathan-allen-myles-garrett-first-2017-mock-draft/

The one thing about Garret - his stats aren't as good vs SEC competition as Allens. And, the one thing Garrett needs to

work on, is getting off blocks.

Meanwhile, Allen is unblockable, can come from any angle, any side. There are better blockers in the pros.

I think PFF has it right. Allen is the better pick.

Agreed. And I really don't think Myles likes football much.

Also tend to lean Allen at this point... seems made for 3-4 DE and can slide inside in four-man fronts for nickel and dime packages.

Garrett carries conversion risk and overwhelmingly lines up at RDE putting him opposite NFL level LTs.

Which would you be happier with, assuming we stay 3-4?

Option 1

Allen - Shelton - Ogbah

Collins - Kirksey - Davis - Orchard

or

Option 2

Ogbah - Shelton - Meder

Collins - Kirksey - Davis - Garrett

?

Jesus. Our 3 DL consisting of Allen, Shelton, and Bryant sounds pretty nasty. We'd still be missing an elite OLB pass rushing prospect, but still. Only issue with that is I don't see Desmond Bryant coming back. Not sure why I feel that way...but I do. Maybe he's an older, higher priced guy? Perhaps I heard something, but I would sure like to have him back. We need people that can get to the damn QB.

.... Do you know the spots along the Dline?

Only a basic understanding in terms of essentially even numbers lining up over the OL and odds inbetween, starting with the 0 tech on the center and working out. Puts the 5 tech on the outside shoulder of the tackle by that logic which seems...reasonable.

And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

Option 3 includes no Ogbah?

Not at 275#... not in my base 3-4.

I like my OLBs to be a little more versatile and Orchard carries that promise to my mind.

Now in a 4-3 look? Sure... a Nassib-Allen-Shelton-Ogbah feels right... backed by Collins-Davis-Kirksey in the base or Collins-Kirksey in the nickel...

Dime? Probably Collins...

If the season ends as it is today...

That pick from Philly would be... #9 overall.

Does that change any thinking?

We could trade down from #9 to mid-teens and get an extra second-rounder for the trouble.. Or just grab one impact DL plus Trubisky in whatever order FO feels comfortable..

Jesus. Our 3 DL consisting of Allen, Shelton, and Bryant sounds pretty nasty. We'd still be missing an elite OLB pass rushing prospect, but still. Only issue with that is I don't see Desmond Bryant coming back. Not sure why I feel that way...but I do. Maybe he's an older, higher priced guy? Perhaps I heard something, but I would sure like to have him back. We need people that can get to the damn QB.

or....err, uh, or....we need a QB

And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

Vince Lombardi said it: its all about blocking and tackling.

If the season ends as it is today...

That pick from Philly would be... #9 overall.

Does that change any thinking?

We could trade down from #9 to mid-teens and get an extra second-rounder for the trouble.. Or just grab one impact DL plus Trubisky in whatever order FO feels comfortable..

Trubisky will have to be taken #1 overall. He will not last beyond the top 3.....and unless the Browns have both 1 an 2, they will have to pick him 1.

or....err, uh, or....we need a QB

Vince Lombardi said it: its all about blocking and tackling.

Consecutive posts no less...

Archived