THE BROWNS BOARD

Could Hue be one and done?

Canton Dawg

There's a scouting team, a vastly experienced coaching team, talent evaluators, and then one guy (Sashi) who brings all of the information together to get a consensus of the best players/fits. I've never understood this need for the GM to be a supreme talent evaluator, the guy is going to spend so much of his time churning the roster that he's not going to ever really have much time to do his scouting, and even if he does it won't be on all 350 or so college guys and the hundreds of NFL free agents every year, so he's for sure going to need to lean on his scouts very heavily anyway.

If anything, it's probably a good thing that you don't have someone at the top who is driven by ego and will disregard the scouting advice and just go with one man's opinion (hi Ray Farmer, Mike Holmgren, Mike Lombardi...)

Like Polian?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, we have no supreme talent evaluator. No supreme talent either. Coincidence? I think not

We've had a 'supreme talent evaluator' for 17 seasons since coming back in to the league. Clearly, Jimmy Haslam made a huge mistake breaking from that structure which had heralded an unprecedented dynasty of a football team, winning back to back super bowls and looking to three-peat this year. He was stupid to look to do something slightly different to what we'd been doing every year for 17 years because it was obviously working so, so well.

For every Polian, there is a Farmer, a Holmgren, a Lombardi, a Kokinis, a Heckert...

Haslam is going to do what haslam wants he does not care about Cleveland the team the fans or the coaches he cares about one thing money and if he can still make massive profits he will continue to do so dispite the losing the team has almost tripled in value so it's a toss up what he will do what it comes down to is that the browns will not get better till the fan stop going and stop buying merchandise

No, he'll be back. I think the original poster asked the wrong question. The question SHOULD be, "How much of a second season does Hue get?" In other words, If he starts the season 0-6, is he gone? How much longer does the "we have no talent" excuse ride? Like I said in another post, how much better could a team like ours REALLY BE in one more year? We can't REALLY expect results. We have the youngest team...is that really going to change? I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that Jamie Collins will be gone. He doesn't want to be here, and who can blame the guy? Could we franchise him? Sure we could, but I think we'll be doing that with Pryor.

Hue will be back, but I'm not sure "how long the leash" will be in year two. I'm HOPING it's very long, because just firing somebody doesn't fix things. You have to hire somebody better, and who is THAT? I haven't loved everything Hue has done, and some of his play calling drives me nuts, but whatever. Here's to hoping we improve...

Haslam is going to do what haslam wants he does not care about Cleveland the team the fans or the coaches he cares about one thing money and if he can still make massive profits he will continue to do so dispite the losing the team has almost tripled in value so it's a toss up what he will do what it comes down to is that the browns will not get better till the fan stop going and stop buying merchandise

That seems to be about the only answer. He might understand money. Good Gawd! Even Rolling Stone magazine rates the Haslam's as the 8th worst team owners in the world.

I mean Christ, our o-line is so bad they really ought to just step aside and let the defensive front just cream the quarterback. He'd probably get hit less awkwardly and might survive longer than a game.

Just forget the guards. Put an extra two receivers on the field. Swap out Erving for a TE who can learn to snap. Job done.

At least Randy tried to hire good football people. But now when it comes down to pick or no pick on draft day, we have a baseball number cruncher, an Ivy league number cruncher, Dee and Jimmy as fan ball crunchers.

1) EVERY TEAM uses analytics. Not some, not part, not half - every single one. The Browns have just done it slightly more. This is NOT a differentiator.

2) Good football people? You and I have VERY different definitions of "good".

I trust Tour and tia over Walrus and Tom Heckert. Savage, Kokinis, Heckert, Farmer --- all these idiots were not the least bit competent while with the Browns but were "recommended" by Others as being Good Football People.

Translation: They can't actually execute their job for shyte but they've been drawing a paycheck from other NFL teams, so They Simply Must Be Good Because Reasons.

What's he supposed to say? "

how about this....man up and tell the truth?

"we'll have to re-evaluate our evaluation process. we are looking at bringing in a football guy because between po and i and our analytic process we learned from harvard, we realize that that blows. we apologize for our draft and not picking any real play makers on either side of the ball. i'd like to announce that the franchise is giving back to our season ticket holders who have been the back bone of our fanbase by awarding 2 free tickets per ticket holder next year. i suck, po sucks. and if hue doesn't get his shit together we'll all be out of work."

how's that for a start?

IMO hue doesn't even come into play. people's argument that no one could coach this young no talented team is correct. but then i say, who do you blame for that? and please, we don't have YEARS for these guys to learn how to do their jobs. when i worked on mad ave, there was no excuse for a drop in revenue or sales that'd topple your bottom line like the browns annually suck.

I don't know the exact reason why Hue was called to the principles office immediately following the game, buy I would imagine it wasn't to ask Hue if he had a nice Thanksgiving.

If I had to guess, it would be that Jimmah is addressing the 800 lb gorilla in the room...namely the ~20k fans sitting in a 70k seating capacity stadium.

Wealthy businessmen don't like to see their revenue going down the shitter, and that's what is happening.

I don't know the exact reason why Hue was called to the principles office immediately following the game, buy I would imagine it wasn't to ask Hue if he had a nice Thanksgiving.

If I had to guess, it would be that Jimmah is addressing the 800 lb gorilla in the room...namely the ~20k fans sitting in a 70k seating capacity stadium.

Wealthy businessmen don't like to see their revenue going down the shitter, and that's what is happening.

Yep, money talks. And even with revenue sharing, these owners all know who is throwing the least in the pot.

Mccown takes the snap and he immediately stops, drops and rolls into the fetal position....what a great play boy the defense has no answer for that play folks....its like watching a healthy lou gehrig in his prime so unfair so unfair!!

Other people call that the Victory Formation. Not sure what the Browns would call it.

Hue may have some blame....but there is plenty to throw around. First and foremost, Jimmy must be the first in the ring to wrestle that Gorilla.

(Hey....how many people would show up at the game to see our owner wrestle a Gorilla at halftime....those 20 K would be there...for sure).

Then his Harvard crew (who may be better at rowing on the Charles River than putting together a football team). They would have to be the tag team in the undercard). Then Hue.....then Horton. Then the players.

Could he be? Sure... there are no guarantees.

Will he be? No... if we keep changing horses, there's no way we ever get out of the middle of this stream.

^^^ This. You fire Hue, you're looking at coaching talent like Vince Kehres. Never heard of him? Head Coach of D III Mount Union.

how about this....man up and tell the truth?

"we'll have to re-evaluate our evaluation process. we are looking at bringing in a football guy because between po and i and our analytic process we learned from harvard, we realize that that blows. we apologize for our draft and not picking any real play makers on either side of the ball. i'd like to announce that the franchise is giving back to our season ticket holders who have been the back bone of our fanbase by awarding 2 free tickets per ticket holder next year. i suck, po sucks. and if hue doesn't get his shit together we'll all be out of work."

how's that for a start?

I like it Mik. Not just a couple freebee tickets, at least a $1 reduction in ticket price for every loss. AND a $100 voucher for every season ticket at the concession stands.

1) EVERY TEAM uses analytics. Not some, not part, not half - every single one. The Browns have just done it slightly more. This is NOT a differentiator.

2) Good football people? You and I have VERY different definitions of "good".

I trust Tour and tia over Walrus and Tom Heckert. Savage, Kokinis, Heckert, Farmer --- all these idiots were not the least bit competent while with the Browns but were "recommended" by Others as being Good Football People.

Translation: They can't actually execute their job for shyte but they've been drawing a paycheck from other NFL teams, so They Simply Must Be Good Because Reasons.

yeah, i guess the steelers back in the day that won 4 championships used analytics....pfffft....only thing analytics does is give you numbers, it does not measure heart...ie....new england pats...they pull people off the streets and can tell they are football players...they are not using analytics to find them...analytics is complete fucking bullshit.....it only tells you that you should get rid of so and so because he's 33 and is considered old for football...only thing is, that 33 yr old could be capable of playing better for 3-4 more yrs than someone that is drafted because they are young and cannot play one fucking iota of football....analytics does not measure that, that comes from good football people knowing the player and what he is capable of doing

Archived