THE BROWNS BOARD

Crowell gets second round tender

gftChris

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/02/isaiah_crowell_receives_second.html

This move makes sense and I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Nobody's going to give up a first obviously, and you can probably find better than him in the second round, so it's unlikely they'd give up a second for a guy with already three years of use.

Meanwhile we keep him at a relatively cheap $2.8m for a year.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile we keep him at a relatively cheap $2.8m for a year.

Not much upside there.

I really thought they'd use the tender process to resolve his value for the long term. Now this sets up as a "one more and done" situation.

Not much upside there.

I really thought they'd use the tender process to resolve his value for the long term. Now this sets up as a "one more and done" situation.

Might still be. Now we have plenty of time to do that.

Might still be. Now we have plenty of time to do that.

Sure... but when you can't agree on a value, the tender route with its "bargain" price and no security does not exactly unleash a wellspring of good will to build upon.

This.

RB just went up a rung on the draft priority ladder.

I don't think so. RBs at this point in the NFL are as fungible a position as there is. Both Crowe/Duke back another year. I say there is at least a one year reprieve on this position.....and remember....Crowe was a UDFA. The Browns may think they can nab another Crowe off the UDFA list.

Agreed..matching offer sheet for Mack & matching tender on Gipson. neither worked the next season after, they get ugly quickly..I'll be watching Pitts James Conner at combine.A Power blocking front needs a power back. check out Conner's tape if you have not seen him

Agreed..matching offer sheet for Mack & matching tender on Gipson. neither worked the next season after, they get ugly quickly..I'll be watching Pitts James Conner at combine.A Power blocking front needs a power back. check out Conner's tape if you have not seen him

I'd rather get Foreman from Texas if he is there @ #65. Or maybe even @ #52 depending upon whose left then.

One thing to note is that this draft is incredibly deep at the RB position. There's about 10 dudes who are 2nd round or better talent but not all of them will get drafted that high. I wouldn't be upset though if we kept feeding the Crow for another season.

One thing to note is that this draft is incredibly deep at the RB position. There's about 10 dudes who are 2nd round or better talent but not all of them will get drafted that high. I wouldn't be upset though if we kept feeding the Crow for another season.

Pretty much sums up how I feel. Crow is fine, but if we can get a great value guy later on in this apparently deep RB class, then why not?

From what I understand, both sides are still eager to work out a deal. Not sure it will happen, but I'd like a deal to get done for the right price. I'm just so interested to see what Crow could do in a season where we are in just about every game, and we don't need to give up on the run early in order to come back 20 points. I honestly believe the combination of Duke and Crow can work well in the right circumstances.

From what I understand, both sides are still eager to work out a deal. Not sure it will happen, but I'd like a deal to get done for the right price. I'm just so interested to see what Crow could do in a season where we are in just about every game, and we don't need to give up on the run early in order to come back 20 points. I honestly believe the combination of Duke and Crow can work well in the right circumstances.

I honestly believe that NOT deferring the opening kickoff would help re playing from behind. Williams D may help, but I'm all for a rule change that if you win the coin toss, you receive the opening kickoff.

Mike

In the same vein I'd love to see him with a consistent QB where half the games the opposing D isn't stacking the box with 9 guys.

The thing about him and a contract is that the Browns are far and away his best option for a good contract. As noted this draft is loaded with RB talent and there's some strong names available in FA (AP, Charles, etc). I don't think the open market is going to net him that much compared to what the Browns could provide.

I've seen Connor. I think his future may lie at FB.

No one's draft status will depend more upon a 40 time than his. There is a better than 50/50 chance he won't break 4.7 (and may well run closer to 4.8). If he doesn't break 4.7, then his 10-yd split will determine his fate.

I think Crow is "Ok".. but he's not untouchable....

Where Crow is on the "OK" to "untouchable" continuum is precisely the dispute the use of the original-status tender would have resolved.

I don't understand why someone would be upset by a team doing what they must do, like the situation here. Since Crowe has NOT agreed to a long term contract...the Browns MUST do what they did to keep his services.

If Crowe doesn't like it, too bad. Grow the fuck up. This is the way this business is conducted. If you would sign a deal you would have no cause for alarm.

• 2 weeks later...

Long-term deal? Has he signed his tender?

I'll be watching Pitts James Conner at combine.A Power blocking front needs a power back. check out Conner's tape if you have not seen him

What did you think? Connor's 4.65-second 40-yd was better than I expected, but nearly every other measure was worse.

There's a report from Jeremy Fowler that three teams have "inquired" about Crow.

I like Crow and think he would do damn good behind this new line. However, our front office really values those 2nd round picks.

Archived