THE BROWNS BOARD

Big Gay Soccer Thread

LondonBrown

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LondonBrown - I'm a Spurs fan also - but have only been to WHL about 5 timse sin last 10 years since moving out of London in 2003. It's really all about the Browns for me. In fcat I have been to Cleveland several more times than WHL in that time.

Well, if teams are going to play here, might as well be under our magnificent history. :) Just like the Browns, we pick a club that needs to look back to the 60s for the last league achievement.

I'm Spurs too - went to school in Edmonton but now live near Akron. I'm Browns through my wife.

Whatever it takes to get the stadium built tbh, I'm not really that fussed. We get to stay at WHL, so I'm happy. I'm really not interested in the NFL expanding to other countries.

Interesting that the grass surface will be retractable, with an artificial surface underneath, so the turf won't get destroyed.

Yeah, I really hope they don't screw this up. I'm more interested in the impact on the area. Mind you, taking my kids over to see the Browns play at WHL would be all kinds of awesome.

LondonBrown - I'm a Spurs fan also - but have only been to WHL about 5 timse sin last 10 years since moving out of London in 2003. It's really all about the Browns for me. In fcat I have been to Cleveland several more times than WHL in that time.

Well, if teams are going to play here, might as well be under our magnificent history. :) Just like the Browns, we pick a club that needs to look back to the 60s for the last league achievement.

A magnificent history indeed :) and hopefully this can be a springboard to further success

I went to one Browns home game last season and one Spurs so I'm getting there ;)

I'm Spurs too - went to school in Edmonton but now live near Akron. I'm Browns through my wife.

Whatever it takes to get the stadium built tbh, I'm not really that fussed. We get to stay at WHL, so I'm happy. I'm really not interested in the NFL expanding to other countries.

Yeah the potential move to Stratford was terrible, had to stay in Tottenham.

Yeah the potential move to Stratford was terrible, had to stay in Tottenham.

Never saw that as a good plan. Tottenham is north london. I know you want to move out of Arsenal's shadow, but I thought that was more of a figurative thing ;)

Never saw that as a good plan. Tottenham is north london. I know you want to move out of Arsenal's shadow, but I thought that was more of a figurative thing ;)

Look at that!

I love that our ground is going to be bigger than theirs even by a small amount

I assume this will replace the games being held in Wembly Stad.?

And why are all you guys San Antonio fans? ;)

As the stadium incorporates a permanent artificial pitch purely for the NFL it looks to me like the first step of having a London franchise.

Would be weird when I am rooting against a Tottenham NFL team!

As the stadium incorporates a permanent artificial pitch purely for the NFL it looks to me like the first step of having a London franchise.

Would be weird when I am rooting against a Tottenham NFL team!

If they are the London Spurs I will be rooting for them to fail at every opportunity.

If they are the London Spurs I will be rooting for them to fail at every opportunity.

They won't use that name. We have the 5 time Champion San Antonio Spurs of the NBA here, so they won't repeat a name. If they do put a team there it will be something different and endemic to London/UK.

The Knights or some such. I think we have previously postulated on various London team names.

Several teams here have had their names voted on by the populace of a particular city......what name would you all vote for?

They won't use that name. We have the 5 time Champion San Antonio Spurs of the NBA here, so they won't repeat a name. If they do put a team there it will be something different and endemic to London/UK.

The Knights or some such. I think we have previously postulated on various London team names.

Several teams here have had their names voted on by the populace of a particular city......what name would you all vote for?

Could it not be the same name as the football club, Tottenham Hotspur?

By the way, all of the following teams had their names chosen by a fan vote of one sort or another:

Falcons

Ravens

Bills

Broncos

Texans

Jaguars

Dolphins

Patriots

Saints

Raiders

Steelers

Chargers

Seahawks

Buccaneers

Titans....and even:

The Browns

There’s some debate about whether Cleveland’s professional football franchise was named after its first coach and general manager, Paul Brown, or after boxer Joe Louis, who was nicknamed the “Brown Bomber.” Team owner Mickey McBride conducted a fan contest in 1945 and the most popular submission was Browns. According to one version of the story, Paul Brown vetoed the nickname and chose Panthers instead, but a local businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers. Brown ultimately agreed to the use of his name and Browns stuck.

Could it not be the same name as the football club, Tottenham Hotspur?

No, they won't do that. No one here knows what a Tottenham is.....just a hot toddy. There was an early practice of naming NFL teams after the same cities baseball team. That is why there are the NY Giants. The Steelers used to be the Pirates. There was actually a Cleveland Indians NFL team for a bit. Many of those teams folded, and all others but the Giants changed their name. Perhaps the NY Giants may have changed theirs as well, but the NY Giants baseball team left for San Francisco in the 50s, leaving the Giants name to the football team. The NFL will want no part of naming their team the same as a corresponding soccer team.

My international roommate through college was a bug Hotspur fan. All of our IM teams and jerseys were designed after the Spurs.

He might have a new favorite NFL team if one plays there.

Well, the Jaguars will be playing one home game there for a year.

Which is OK, because I prefer the way the Brits pronounce the name of that team: Jag-you-ares. As opposed to how many here pronounce it: Jag-warrs.

Still, their derogatory name is good: The Jag-offs.

No, they won't do that. No one here knows what a Tottenham is.....just a hot toddy. There was an early practice of naming NFL teams after the same cities baseball team. That is why there are the NY Giants. The Steelers used to be the Pirates. There was actually a Cleveland Indians NFL team for a bit. Many of those teams folded, and all others but the Giants changed their name. Perhaps the NY Giants may have changed theirs as well, but the NY Giants baseball team left for San Francisco in the 50s, leaving the Giants name to the football team. The NFL will want no part of naming their team the same as a corresponding soccer team.

Great stuff as ever Gip, reading your posts is an education !

Great stuff as ever Gip, reading your posts is an education !

No worries. If you get an NFL team, it will have to come in with it own unique identity. So here you go.....Trivia time. Of the following names, which ones have never been the name of an NFL team. Just highlight those you think:

Pros

Gunners

Senators

Generals

Colonels

Majors

Knights

Kings

Dukes

Earls

Eskimos

Lions

Tigers

Bears

Tin Men

Scarecrows

Crimson Jihad

Crimson Giants

Brickley Giants

Reds

Greens

Blues

Browns

Maroons

Yellow Jackets

Red Jackets

Dons

Johns

Pauls

Georges

Ringos

Staleys

Stapletons

Rangers

Flyers

They won't align an NFL team so closely with a football, sorry, soccer team because you immediately alienate the majority of your potential fan base. It'll be the London Knights, or some such.

There's a considerable NFL following in the UK dating back to the mid-80s, when Channel 4 first televised matches. I worry about the logistics of having an NFL franchise in the UK, but not about filling the stands. I just don't see the need for it from this side. I like the NFL the way it is.

:lol: Gunners :lol:.

Of course, Spurs have an alternative nickname beginning with Y that you missed out.

I don't know it. You are free to spell it out here. (do you mean SA Spurs....or TH Hotspurs? And what is a hotspur....beyond the obvious?)

I don't know it. You are free to spell it out here. (do you mean SA Spurs....or TH Hotspurs? And what is a hotspur....beyond the obvious?)

The story is that we were originally formed from a cricket club called Hotspur Wanderers (or something similar) and became Hotspur FC. It's supposed to come from Harry Hotspur. Shakespeare wrote about him - he and his family are believed to have owned land nearby.

The Y nickname is, er, the Yids. We have long had connections with the Jewish community through both ownership and location. Just south of Tottenham is an area with a large Orthodox Jewish population. Similar to Ajax in the Netherlands, opposing teams viewed us as a "Jewish" club and would regularly chant about Hitler, make hissing (gas chamber) noises etc etc. Spurs fans adopted it as a badge of honour in an attempt to turn the abuse back on itself. It worked to an extent, except ironically there's an ongoing debate about whether it is offensive for Spurs fans to call themselves "Yids".

I've never been keen on an NFL team in London - never will, or anywhere in the UK. The NFL should pump some money into the game so that it can be played here, at school / college level, not just reap the cash on the back of what is an American passion. That said, it's pretty likely the browns will play in the UK in the next few years and, as I understand the terms between FES and Cleveland City, they won't be home games as all home games have to be played in CLE. So It won't deprive Browns of a home game which I think would be tragic. I'd also love to spend a weekend in London with my Browns Board pals. Wait til they get the victoria line to Seven Sisters and t do the Walk. N17 isn't really on the tourist map.

Archived