THE BROWNS BOARD

Preseason Game #2 Bills vs Browns

Canton Dawg

Yep, I watched last night, and was not impressed by much. The seconds were more fun to watch.. but the Oline, both 1st n 2nds were porous.

buffalo's defense will make any team's OL look porous. i guess you didn't catch the little bio's they (ESPN) did of each player on the bill's front 4. joe thomas who is a perennial pro-bowler had a tough time last year against this squad with 2 golding penalties.

the sky isn't falling everyone. the browns played pretty good against a team a lot are picking to overtake NE in the AFCE. a healthy browns team in stride in the middle of the season would be a test for the bills, IMO.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MIK is da man!..........got mine too.........life is good again!

And, as some you know, I brought home a stray from Browns practice a couple weeks ago....and he got his Browns shirt too....

Haden Bean Shelton on his way to get a hair cut.....

Good man!

buffalo's defense will make any team's OL look porous. i guess you didn't catch the little bio's they (ESPN) did of each player on the bill's front 4. joe thomas who is a perennial pro-bowler had a tough time last year against this squad with 2 golding penalties.

the sky isn't falling everyone. the browns played pretty good against a team a lot are picking to overtake NE in the AFCE. a healthy browns team in stride in the middle of the season would be a test for the bills, IMO.

The bills are much improved but who is picking them to overtake the cheaters? News to me.

Oh I heard... it just seemed that the offense wasn't prepared to handle it with the play calling. You know they are going to push, so where are the quick slants, and other things that we saw from the seconds. Again, it is pre-season, and I would hope that the firsts are just holding back a bit, trying to keep injury free, not showing our hand, etc, etc.

Pre Season

OL is causing some concern - I don't care that it's the Bill DL, they didn't look good.

1st half looked pretty bad, which is when most of Starters were playing.

2nd half looked better, but that's when the Whopper Floppers are playing against the Bus Drivers.

A few Players had some flashes.

Manziel is progressing, don't know if he'll make it, but he's making reads/audibles and an improved product versus what we had last year.

Bibbs better make this Team, kids got talent.

Lee's a keeper, second game I've seen him place some incredible Punts.

So far, Cooper is looking better than Orchard despite being Drafted later, but it's a learning process - they're both pluses.

Erving is getting moved all over the line . . . Jack of all Trades, Master of None applies too this point.

McCown played like I expected him to play last week, so he's regressed in that aspect.

West is Dancing and going East/West too much, I like Crow better but he wasn't stellar and seems to be behind West on the Depth Chart for some reason.

I said 8 - 8 this year . . . glad it's only Pre Season, cause right now it's not promising - too many injuries though to get a real good read.

I thought the rookie defensive "Shock Squad" looked pretty good. Cooper, Shelton, Orchard, Pullard, even Gaines and Campbell did better than some of their veteran counterparts. Yes, it was against the #2s and 3s of the Bills, but they all looked fairly promising.

The offensive rookies didn't match up. Erving had a tough time as did Mayle.

We really need to see Duke Johnson get in there to see if he adds anything.

Bademosi and Bowie should be wearing new unis by the start of the season. I saw no reason to keep them around. I know Bademosi is great at special teams, but I think we can get comparable production from someone else that can contribute on offense/defense as well. He has absolutely no cover skills outside of punts. Bowie should get a job at Dyson he sucked so hard.

And what the hell happened to the Craig Robertson of last year?

Re: Manziel. I see things that would indicate 'some' growth. However I also see a QB that still gets a #1 target locked into his mind pre-snap.

He doesn't appear comfortable playing mind games at the line like some of the great ones seem to do. Now, do I think he's putting in time and making some better decisions? Yes. Did I see the 'best game as a Pro, he's making leaps and bounds in progress'..? No. He still is yet to be ready as anNFL starter.

That's fair... Next step will be the post-snap reads.

Also fair... Those 1-5-5 Quarter looks JM was facing near game's end that are so hard to decipher. Half dozen guys in a tight box, none or one with hand on the ground.

What a joke our secondary is. It doesn't matter what team we're playing against or what offensive scheme we're playing against, it doesn't matter, none of it. If it is 3rd down and 50 the other team will convert on our secondary.

Someone's in mid-season form... time to dust off "the clip"...

Bibbs better make this Team, kids got talent.

West is Dancing and going East/West too much, I like Crow better but he wasn't stellar and seems to be behind West on the Depth Chart for some reason.

I think Bibbs and Barn are locks.

I think West got the "start" because he needed the work and they needed to see more of him due to his down time. Plus it sent a mini-message to Crow...

In a nutshell, we got a ways to go. I'm only talk defense for now but it's clear that we're lacking real blue chip athletes. I get it that the Browns D was probably playing at 80%. But so was the Buffalo D. That Buffalo front 4, omg. Constant pressure AND run stopping with just the front 4 guys. Unreal. Those edges for the Bills are just on another food chain. They weren't even trying that hard and were just pushing our O line around. One of McCowns int's was cause of pressure on JT's side that was a simple simple stunt.

Our D in comparison looked a lot slower, less nimble, less powerful/explosive.....we needed our backcourt to even really make Tyrod blink. It's not a good sign tbh. But we'll see when the real games start.

And what the hell was ONeil doing dropping Kruger back into man coverage? He promptly got burned by a TE on a critical 3rd down play. I hope they were just playing around cause Mingo's out. If I see Kruger dropping back and running with TE's on a consistent basis and getting burned, i'm not watching this. I'll come here and see how the seasons going from all the rage posting here.

Mud your dog is a great breed. We have one as our family pet so had to go with basic name of Dale but on game days he has a new name. Thanks kids approved you own all copyrights. Enjoy your friend 4 life. To stay on topic, we a lot of work in progress.

In a nutshell, we got a ways to go. I'm only talk defense for now but it's clear that we're lacking real blue chip athletes. I get it that the Browns D was probably playing at 80%. But so was the Buffalo D. That Buffalo front 4, omg. Constant pressure AND run stopping with just the front 4 guys. Unreal. Those edges for the Bills are just on another food chain. They weren't even trying that hard and were just pushing our O line around. One of McCowns int's was cause of pressure on JT's side that was a simple simple stunt.

Our D in comparison looked a lot slower, less nimble, less powerful/explosive.....we needed our backcourt to even really make Tyrod blink. It's not a good sign tbh. But we'll see when the real games start.

cdbc57abe0ed26a91e8306bdcc8b4dac.jpg

The one that really surprised me was Shelton. I was all for drafting him, and still think it was a good play, but he looked to slow or not fast enough against the Bills #1 squad. I saw him tackle another Brown after the back was two yards past him.

shelton waqs pushing their #1s into the backfield while being double-teamed............

i guess smoke does get in your eyes....

Mik I didn't dvr the game but there were two times I remember him getting good penetration and one the back blew past him and he grabbed the lineman next to him.

I don't know if it was Mudfly or Tour who used to have video of the plays but I'd like to see the still shots. Just going off of memory just the 2.

shelton waqs pushing their #1s into the backfield while being double-teamed............

i guess smoke does get in your eyes....

I thought I saw Shelton push their center so far back that it actually created a running lane for their RB.

Mik I didn't dvr the game but there were two times I remember him getting good penetration and one the back blew past him and he grabbed the lineman next to him.

I don't know if it was Mudfly or Tour who used to have video of the plays but I'd like to see the still shots. Just going off of memory just the 2.

understood. i'll put it this way: shelton is the least of our worries on D.

Don't know why people are complaining about Shelton, he's a rookie...he's the least of that defense's concerns. What concerns me more is our front 4. I know Kruger got like 2 sacks yesterday but they were kind of clean up sacks cause Tyrod tried to extend the play. Still nice to see him be able to converge on a quick and nimble qb like that, but I'm still not seeing any real polished pass rush moves out of him when he's 1v1 on the tackle. Soloman didn't look impressive at all the last two games and he's been going all out.

I dont see any issues with Shelton to this point......he's looking like he's what we hoped he would be.....a double teamed O line eating space filler.......the stats are gonna go to the guys who get free because of him.......

So, dont let the glamour stats confuse things.....Danny will dominate the line while others get the tackles and sacks.....

It's preseason, and Danny has already shown he's unstoppable,

and goes all out every second of every play.

Just wait til it counts. Nobody wants to get injured in preseason.

He's stoppable... just takes two.

Started rewatching the game and Danny did not make a big splash, i.e., no sacks, pressures, RBs blown up, etc., but played very well. Not sure all appreciate that his major role is to essentially "block" for our ILBs. Here's an example...

First play of the game he drove the Bills' Center three yards into the backfield disrupting the play by forcing the RB to run East-West. Yes, the RB bounced outside and Danny was unable to disengage and make the tackle, but he'd already done his job... the tackle would have been gravy.

As for the rest of that play...

Krugs fought his blocker to show outside, a yard across forcing the RB to cut back into a sliver of a hole. Krugs did his job.

Dansby unblocked, flowed, mirroring the back, and had a chance to fill the hole and meet the back on the Bills' side of the line, but did not trust the contain so instead waited and made the tackle after a 3-yard gain. Did Dansby do his job?

A couple series later he stood up the center and was able to shed, dove to his left and was able to arm tackle the RB for a short gain.

Archived