THE BROWNS BOARD

Brian Hartline Released

D Bone

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/05/brian_hartline_released_by_cle.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Receiver Brian Hartline has been released by the Browns as their youth movement continues.
Profootballtalk.com was the first to report the news.
Hartline, who will be 30 in November, became expendable when the Browns drafted four receivers.
His exit is also part of a youth movement on the part of the Browns, who released Donte Whitner last month and have parted ways with many of their 30-plus players.
Hartline, the native of Canton, Ohio and former Buckeyes star, signed a two-year deal with the Browns last season worth $6 million.
But he lasted only one season with his hometown team, playing in 12 games and starting four before being place on injured reserve with a broken collarbone that was surgically-repaired on Dec. 15. He caught 46 passes for 523 yards and two touchdowns.
"Hartline is a pro,'' coach Hue Jackson said last week at Browns organized team activities. "He's been through it. He's had success. He knows how to play, and there's something to that.''
But Jackson made no promises that Hartline was long for this team.
"At the same time, he knows each and every day he's got to go out and compete because everybody's trying to win a spot,'' Jackson said. "To me, that's what it's truly all about. It's about competing and it's about earning a right to be a part of this football team."

Much bitching incoming about a guy who the team felt was expendable when the youngsters came in.

No bitching here, if they think the young 'uns are the way to go. The Browns only have a cap hit of $750k (prorated bonus) to send him on his way.

They would likely wait to see if Dumbshit has something to show them coming off the suspension.

Make that IF he ever comes off suspension. I hope he's figured out any further hanging out with Manziel isn't going to help his cause for reinstatement.

I actually thought Hartline was the one guy that we'd keep. Possession receiver that can work hard and maybe show the young guys how to do it.

I'm guessing Hawkins and Gabriel are getting nervous.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/05/brian_hartline_released_by_cle.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Receiver Brian Hartline has been released by the Browns as their youth movement continues.
Profootballtalk.com was the first to report the news.
Hartline, who will be 30 in November, became expendable when the Browns drafted four receivers.
His exit is also part of a youth movement on the part of the Browns, who released Donte Whitner last month and have parted ways with many of their 30-plus players.
Hartline, the native of Canton, Ohio and former Buckeyes star, signed a two-year deal with the Browns last season worth $6 million.
But he lasted only one season with his hometown team, playing in 12 games and starting four before being place on injured reserve with a broken collarbone that was surgically-repaired on Dec. 15. He caught 46 passes for 523 yards and two touchdowns.
"Hartline is a pro,'' coach Hue Jackson said last week at Browns organized team activities. "He's been through it. He's had success. He knows how to play, and there's something to that.''
But Jackson made no promises that Hartline was long for this team.
"At the same time, he knows each and every day he's got to go out and compete because everybody's trying to win a spot,'' Jackson said. "To me, that's what it's truly all about. It's about competing and it's about earning a right to be a part of this football team."

I don't see where he got any chance to "compete". What have they had, one practice? This sounds to me like it is just change for changes sake....not based on any actual competitive issue.

If so, fine. But don't prevaricate and say it is about competition. "Its about earning a right to be part of this football team?" That's a lie..NONE of these rookies have earned the right to be on this team except for the fact that these guys picked them....and it remains to be seen if any of these kids are worth a cabbage fart. We know Hartline was worth that. He contributed.

Hue may just not have wanted an older white guy on his WR corps.

Yes, I said it.....race may have played a part.

No bitching here, if they think the young 'uns are the way to go. The Browns only have a cap hit of $750k (prorated bonus) to send him on his way.

That would be fine...."the young ones are the way to go". If that is what he said. But his statement talked about earning a spot through competition. Clearly no one.....rookie or veteran alike has done that yet.

from his nfl draft profile

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brian-hartline?id=81831

"Negatives: Lacks the eye-popping athleticism to offer much upside. Doesn't have the straight-line speed to challenge over the top. Lacks burst out of his breaks. Generally reliable hands, but has some ugly drops when he's trying to make a move on the defender before securing the pass."

The Browns want burst, speed, athleticism. I'm surprised, though, I figure the Browns cut him early so he can

catch on with another team needing a possession receiver.

Good luck to him.

Loved the signing but did not think it would last much longer after a broken collarbone at his position. The only race he has left is healing, aging & slowing speed. Good route runner & Hands should land him on a roster.. Good Luck Hart.. Go Bucks!!

I don't see where he got any chance to "compete". What have they had, one practice? This sounds to me like it is just change for changes sake....not based on any actual competitive issue.

If so, fine. But don't prevaricate and say it is about competition. "Its about earning a right to be part of this football team?" That's a lie..NONE of these rookies have earned the right to be on this team except for the fact that these guys picked them....and it remains to be seen if any of these kids are worth a cabbage fart. We know Hartline was worth that. He contributed.

Hue may just not have wanted an older white guy on his WR corps.

Yes, I said it.....race may have played a part.

So did Devalve get cut too?

I actually thought Hartline was the one guy that we'd keep. Possession receiver that can work hard and maybe show the young guys how to do it.

I agree... thought Hart had a shot at being the vet presence in the WR room.

I agree... thought Hart had a shot at being the vet presence in the WR room.

With this many "young'uns" coming to camp this summer, I thought Hart would be a good mentor.

I figure he will be on another teams TC before long.

I certainly hope they keep McCown around for the same reason.

Hartline was cut because his niche as a possession receiver will be filled by Rashard Higgins and/or Jordan Payton. This was a no-brainer and has nothing to do with race.

Jackson's first hire to the coaching staff was Al Saunders, a white receivers coach.

So, maybe we should analytics in all walks of life? Analytics would say blacks are more likely to be...you name it:

http://www.infowars.com/black-crime-facts-that-the-white-liberal-media-darent-talk-about/

Analytics at work? (FYI, I am a liberal)

Didn't open your link but yes, you should.

Mentors are overrated. You don't need a stinkin' mentor, especially one who knows you're taking his job. I never saw a sophomore on varsity get "mentored" by seniors. Taken under their wing and to parties, sure. Not mentored about football.

Younger rookies don't cost shit when taken in later rounds.

In theory, yes.

Provided said rookies can catch a football.

We've seen many rookie WR's in the past several years that couldn't catch a cold.

Archived