THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Agency 2016

Tim Couch Pulls Out

Could we get a stickied free agency thread since it's getting close to that time?

Personally, I'd like to see our number one target be Danny Trevathan. He's from Youngstown, he's an interior linebacker, he's 25 and he's played in two Super Bowls - all of those qualities are very important for a team looking to revamp its defense.

Secondly, if we lose Schwartz, I think we take a solid crack at Andre Smith. He's a big body that can likely hold the fort for a year or two with no significant loss in production at that position.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, ESPN doesn't even have its Free Agent Tracker activated:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/

NFL.com is still going on last year's list.

This site though seems to have had a jumpstart on it. But as gft noted....list could change based on various developments.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Doubt many C's, OGs and RTs will get franchised...

Personally, I'd like to see our number one target be Danny Trevathan. He's from Youngstown, he's an interior linebacker, he's 25 and he's played in two Super Bowls - all of those qualities are very important for a team looking to revamp its defense.

Secondly, if we lose Schwartz, I think we take a solid crack at Andre Smith. He's a big body that can likely hold the fort for a year or two with no significant loss in production at that position.

Agree on Trevathan... the guy is good, but overshadowed in DNV. Sign him and let Robertson walk.

Smith may well end up as expensive as Mitchell, but there are not a lot of FA options that I see for the position. Interesting that Paztor is on the list of RT FA's as well as the OG list.

More options for the interior OL...

There are a couple Centers that might be better backfill options than those we have at hand. JAX's Wisniewski was drafted by Hue in OAK.

A lot of 26-28 year old OG UFAs... SF's Boone might not want to stay in Kelly-land. Old Guy I wanted last year that ended up with the Jets (and played well) is on the market again... Willie Colon.

This is my FA target short list I'm writing up right now:

I like interior OL in draft in rounds 3-5.

1. Marvin Jones, WR (CIN) - $$$

Makes too much sense. Big need area. Very familiar with Hue.

2. Zach Brown, LB (TEN) - $$$$

Fills a big need. Has played under Horton the last two years.

3. Jamari Lattimore, LB (NYJ) - $$

Heard nothing but good things about Lattimore. Jets do not want to lose him.

4. Rhett Ellison, TE (MIN) - $$

Dray replacement. H-back who can double as a Fullback. Vikes also do not want to lose him. Recovering from injury.

5. Tashaun Gipson and Mitchell Schwartz (CLE) - $$$$

I think re-signing both these guys is a no-brainer.

Maybe consider Eric Weddle is we lose Gipson, but given that he's already 30ish it's probably not the right player/right team.

Love Weddle....no matter how old he is.....been thinking about him since Gipsons holdout last spring....

More options for the interior OL...

There are a couple Centers that might be better backfill options than those we have at hand. JAX's Wisniewski was drafted by Hue in OAK.

Wisniewski too......was pushing for him last season.....plays multiple positions, has the pedigree and the price was right....

Love Weddle....no matter how old he is.....been thinking about him since Gipsons holdout last spring....

Wisniewski too......was pushing for him last season.....plays multiple positions, has the pedigree and the price was right....

I hope we don't get Wisniewski. I have clients by that name. Always hate to have to spell it.

If we get him here can we just shorten his name or call him The Wiz? :D

3. Jamari Lattimore, LB (NYJ) - $$

Heard nothing but good things about Lattimore. Jets do not want to lose him.

The Packers let him walk away without even making an offer even though ILB is the weakest position on the team...that should tell you everything you need to know about Lattimore.

Apparently Peter King said on Monday that the Browns should make a move on Osweiler or however the fuck you spell it.

I can't imagine a scenario where the Broncos let him go.

They are drafting 31st and there is nothing out there free agency wise.

Z

I can't imagine a scenario where the Broncos let him go.

They are drafting 31st and there is nothing out there free agency wise.

Z

They're gonna franchise Von Miller...so techinically I think that would make Osweiler a free agent, I don't really know how the system works so maybe someone who knows better can figure that out.

They're gonna franchise Von Miller...so techinically I think that would make Osweiler a free agent, I don't really know how the system works so maybe someone who knows better can figure that out.

He will be a free agent if Von is tagged. Whether or not he hits the street or signs with Denver long-term is another question.

I'm thinking Manning retires before FA and Brock re-signs before hitting the streets,

Elway may look like a horse, but he's not as dumb as one.

Z

I'm thinking Manning retires before FA and Brock re-signs before hitting the streets,

Elway may look like a horse, but he's not as dumb as one.

Z

I think that is right. Osweiler is probably a better choice for them than anyone. He may be better than any QB in this draft, he may be better than any QB that would be a FA. Broncos make a big push for him to stay.....he is a young veteran, knows their system, has some talent and some potential, he would have a good support system with Elway etc.

Maybe they overpay a bit for him....but it may still be worth it for them to do so.

He would be basically handed the starting job, which may not happen elsewhere. Well, I guess Cleveland, St. Louis and Houston would hand him the job. But in his own best interests he should stay put.

He doesn't have to squeeze every last dollar, does he? He will be adequatetly compensated by the Broncos.

Von Miller has proven his value for a contract not a 1 year tag. Ask him. So I would tag OZ or no one. Yes you maybe overpaying him for a one year look, but Texans, Rams, Dallas, Philly, Jets, Zona, 9ers & Us would drive $$ up to 17-20 million anywho. Go ahead Elway, let him shop & you got nobody at QB. PERFECT!!

Archived