THE BROWNS BOARD

OK, just announce we're taking Garrett....

Clevfan4life

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only Ohio State guys our FOs have drafted since the 90s are Craig Powell in round 1 and Brian Robiskie in round 2. 2 guys that almost started. While BB hit a grand slam with Eric Turner in round 1 - I think his swing and misses on guys like Touchdown-Free Tommy Vardell, Craig Powell and Derrick Alexander (who couldn't catch crabs from Miley Cyrus) trained him well to prioritize trading out of round 1 for some bulky volumes in round 2.

In fact, the GM TN hired from NE learned this art from BB and he stockpiled 3 second round picks in his very first draft here in Nashville in 2016. Not bad when you can land a guy like Derrick Henry as your 3rd and final pick of round 2.

The Bosa thing is done - why waste so much time on that? San Diego still sucked Ghoolie. It was the ONLY team this franchise beat in spite of a terrific outing from Bosa. They ranked 29th in points allowed. It'll be interesting to see how long Bosa maintains the level he played at because in his final year at Ohio State dropped all the way down to 5.5 sacks (which is more pedestrian the Buckeye fans want it to be). Just like 2016, it took him about a month into the regular season to get himself going while critics want to attack Garrett today.

I'm going to go watch this beatdown you keep bringing up vrs Bama. I have always heard it was a great trench war from sides but you're making it sound like it the type of contest Michael Spinks gave Mike Tyson.

Well...what you bring up is perhaps a lesson to be learned. In spite of getting the best DL/pass rusher in a draft, it may not make much of a difference in winning or losing. The Chargers lost a ton of games despite having a guy that imo is better than Garrett.

So....we CAN lose with or without Garrett.

This team has to figure out what player/players they can get that WILL make a difference between winning and losing.

Who do we take @ #12? Nice article on possibilities assuming Garrett is #1. Comments?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/03/cleveland_browns_no_12_overall.html

Of the seven-ish listed, I'd say:

• Yes - OJH, Hooker, Foster, QB (not named Kizer)
  • No - Robinson, Peppers, Williams, QB (named Kizer)

First the no's...

• Robinson's tape simply is not good enough to warrant a 1st-round pick.
  • Both Peppers and Williams are first selections, but just too rich at 12 for my taste... especially given the other choices that will be there day 2.
  • As for Kizer... I simply cannot get past his slow release.

Of the yes's...

• OJH, Hooker and Foster are all impact players along with a handful of other defenders that conceivably could fall to #12. Add any of them to Garrett at #1 overall and I am a very happy camper.
  • QBs not named Kizer? That would be Trubs or Watson... while the calling of neither name would make me leap out of my chair/seat, if our FO goes that way I'll accept it... more or less begrudgingly depending on which of the impact guys were passed over... but I'd accept it.

Well...what you bring up is perhaps a lesson to be learned. In spite of getting the best DL/pass rusher in a draft, it may not make much of a difference in winning or losing. The Chargers lost a ton of games despite having a guy that imo is better than Garrett.

So....we CAN lose with or without Garrett.

This team has to figure out what player/players they can get that WILL make a difference between winning and losing.

I agree. Let's start working on getting those 19 players

First installment of a three-part article on CantonRep.com... opening and closing thoughts shown... there's a good read in between.

Three-D look at Myles Garrett, the Browns likely pick at No. 1

Now that everyone agrees Myles Garrett will be the Browns' pick at No. 1 overall, it's time for the next question.

Should he be?

The Browns need a quarterback, but none is seen as worthy of the top pick. Garrett is.

Here's one reflection of how that is playing out: The 12 "experts" who do mock drafts for NFL.com or NFL Draft Scout all have the Browns taking Garrett at No. 1.

In tomorrow's Part 2, we take a detailed look at Myles Garrett.

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20170327/three-d-look-at-myles-garrett-browns-likely-pick-at-no-1

At long last Gipper has a reason to whole-heartedly jump on the Garrett bandwagon...

Myles Garrett almost went to Ohio State because of dinosaurs

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A child loved dinosaurs. That child grew into a 6-foot-4, 272-pound man, and he still loved dinosaurs.

Along the way, he loved dinosaurs so much, he thought about studying them in college.

That's why Myles Garrett said his early favorite in the recruiting process was Ohio State.

Ohio State's School of Earth Sciences is a fine place for an undergrad to lay the groundwork for a career in paleontology, the study of what fossils tell scientists about the past. Ohio State also features a highly respected graduate school for future paleontologists.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/03/why_myles_garrett_almost_went.html

dear god that means there was a possiblity of an OSU team with garett and bosa on each edge. omfg.

side note: Had we taken Bosa last year he probably wouldn't have changed our win-loss record much cause everything else on the defense sucks.....so we could still have theoretically taken Garrett this year. Whether we would have had or not who knows, people would be screaming for a QB "for sure" at #1 this year cause of the season Bosa would have had here. Buttt......just a thought. Those two would be the perfect edge compliments. One a power rusher the other more a speed rusher, but both can do the opposite when needed. With Shelton and Meder pushing the pile down the middle there would literally be nowhere for the fucking QB to go.

It could have been a thing of beauty... for four years anyway.

Hard to see fitting those two plus a QB (TBD) under a cap without their rookie contracts in place...

Who do we take @ #12? Nice article on possibilities assuming Garrett is #1. Comments?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/03/cleveland_browns_no_12_overall.html

ANYONE but Gerbil Peepers at #12. I'm OK with him in the second round.

I'm starting to think we shouldn't draft a QB in the first round unless we trade back into the 20's from pick 33. If our coaches and front office are truly blown away by one of the rookies, I guess that's different, but if we're not really in absolute LOVE with a rookie, I don't want to see us take one just because we "have to". Not only that, but there are some big time defensive studs in this draft, so it actually wouldn't surprise me if we traded up from 12 into the top 7 so we could grab one of the top safeties (a giant position of need). Would our Titans 2nd rounder be enough to move from 12 to say....6? (Jets' pick). I'm not sure, as I don't have the draft chart in front of me. But seeing as we need a safety so badly, AND there are two VERY regarded safety prospects....I'd be cool with it. If we came away from round 1 with the best overall player prospect, AND the best overall safety...I'd have to think that would be a tremendous success.

On the downside, it doesn't address our perpetual QB debacle. Would Jimmy Haslam truly have the patience to let our team ride another year without a QB answer? I hope so because that might be the best course of action.

I read that next year's QB class might be stronger...and some think "MUCH stronger". Would it be THAT awful to wait another year for QB? Can Kessler, or perhaps Osweiler, win more than 1 game? I think they could, especially with an improved defense, more effective DC, stronger OL, and slightly easier schedule.

Jiggins, that "wait till next year" card has been played too many times. THIS year was supposed to be better than LAST year, remember? I even got caught up in the "Dumpster Dive for DeShawn". Sheeze, now he might last till the third round? NEXT year is gonna be DA QB Bomb though. It's been pointed out Trubs is rated as high as anyone since Luck. We gonna pass again?

First installment of a three-part article on CantonRep.com... opening and closing thoughts shown... there's a good read in between.

Three-D look at Myles Garrett, the Browns likely pick at No. 1

Now that everyone agrees Myles Garrett will be the Browns' pick at No. 1 overall, it's time for the next question.

Should he be?

The Browns need a quarterback, but none is seen as worthy of the top pick. Garrett is.

Here's one reflection of how that is playing out: The 12 "experts" who do mock drafts for NFL.com or NFL Draft Scout all have the Browns taking Garrett at No. 1.

In tomorrow's Part 2, we take a detailed look at Myles Garrett.

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20170327/three-d-look-at-myles-garrett-browns-likely-pick-at-no-1

A lot more unbiased than Mary Kay Rabbit and her ilk. Send her and Grossi down to New Philadelphia to report on the local HS teams.

what's ur issue with Peppers? cause he's a wolverine? I mean there's 1-2 players i might like at 12 better than him but they may not be there. I'd be more than happy with Peppers at 12 if Hooker or that other safety is gone. Which it's likely they will be. There's things i would have liked to see the Browns do with 12 beside draft anybody, like a package for Cousins. But if we stay at 12 i don't understand why anyone would be upset with peppers

Ohio State's School of Earth Sciences is a fine place for an undergrad to lay the groundwork for a career in paleontology, the study of what fossils tell scientists about the past.

Fortunately he has a good chance of being taken by the Browns so he can come to the Browns Board to study fossilized dinosaurs. ;)

It's been pointed out Trubs is rated as high as anyone since Luck. We gonna pass again?

Dafaq? Pointed out by who? Gip? Need sauce on that, cause my bullshit meter is pegged.

I'm sure you may find one crazy hermit that thinks that, but that certainly not the consensus.

From NFL.com ...

If it's true that Trubs is the best since Luck, then why can't we all see it? Can't be but 1 in 4 here that do.

I wasn't around at the time, but I have to believe it was closer to 3 in 4 in Luck's case. Maybe some that were around here when Luck came out can chime in.

If it's true that Trubs is the best since Luck, then why can't we all see it? Can't be but 1 in 4 here that do.

I wasn't around at the time, but I have to believe it was closer to 3 in 4 in Luck's case. Maybe some that were around here when Luck came out can chime in.

While anecdotal, I don't recall any dissenting opinions on Luck being the number one prospect (not just QB) that year among the experts.

Dafaq? Pointed out by who? Gip? Need sauce on that, cause my bullshit meter is pegged.

I'm sure you may find one crazy hermit that thinks that, but that certainly not the consensus.

It was some grading system. Not sure whose. I think Tour posted it. It has been on here. If you read the board you would not have missed it.

Not a Manning or an Elway either. Just a QB with 5 losses in his only year.

And your boys team had just as many. And he played defense on a team that gave up the likes of 54 points and 38 points and the like....but they sure did well against Prairie View, Texas San Antonio, and New Mexico State. There ain't no Prairie Views in the NFL

I fail to see the value of quoting "QB" W/L records...

Cam Newton - National Junior College Champion and NCAA Div I National Champion. Nah, those records mean nothing at all when it comes to losses.

And Gip you have been arguing for months that the QB makes the most difference in wins, but now you want to change that to a DE? A bit hypocritical, no?

I love when people use the "win" factor.....example.....Chargers picked Bosa and didnt win more games, how'd that pick work for ya???"

That is a dumb ass argument.....and we hear it over and over again....

Cant we all agree that there is no "one" player that is the difference for a team as bad as the Browns? it will take many "better players than we have" to make this team competitive.....many........(many)

MANY(LOTS).....more than one.......etc

Sacks: Total / Leader

• 2010: 29 / Benard 7.5

Maybe I am having a brain fart, maybe it is all too telling ... but as i sit here, I literally don't know who that is.

Zombo

Cam Newton - National Junior College Champion and NCAA Div I National Champion. Nah, those records mean nothing at all when it comes to losses.

And Gip you have been arguing for months that the QB makes the most difference in wins, but now you want to change that to a DE? A bit hypocritical, no?

You are obviously having trouble interpreting the English language. Of course the QB is the most important cog. But all I pointed out is that the TAMU defense kind of sucked....unless they were playing the Little Sisters of the poor.

You tout this guy as Superman....yet he had little effect on keeping the other team from scoring in college. What effect will he have in the pros?

Not near as much as a QB.

I love when people use the "win" factor.....example.....Chargers picked Bosa and didnt win more games, how'd that pick work for ya???"

That is a dumb ass argument.....and we hear it over and over again....

Cant we all agree that there is no "one" player that is the difference for a team as bad as the Browns? it will take many "better players than we have" to make this team competitive.....many........(many)

MANY(LOTS).....more than one.......etc

Certainly. But a good leader can have a great effect on a team. While they must have other good players, a Brady, a Rodgers, a Peyton Can and do have serious impact on overall team performance.

I mean, there are very few people that would think, say, taking Bernie Kosar out of a game and putting in Todd Philcox would not make any difference. Yet there was one genius who once upon a time apparently felt that.

Archived