THE BROWNS BOARD

Game 1...Good, Bad & Ugly 2017

Mudfly

Who do we think will pick up Erving after we cut him?

I'd bet on the Vikings.

I wouldn't mind if my broncos took a flyer on him. Because of all the complaining I saw, I focused on him when I watched your game and I must say compared to our line, he didn't look too bad. Yes our line is that bad.

Greg WIlliams is Horton. Just like I told you.Nothing will change. HUE sets the D.

I wouldn't mind if my broncos took a flyer on him. Because of all the complaining I saw, I focused on him when I watched your game and I must say compared to our line, he didn't look too bad. Yes our line is that bad.

We'll give you Cam'illa for TE Jeff Heuerman.. a Buckeye we know that can block at TE..get the paperwork to Elway by morning ;)

You'll have to be more specific as the sun shines on all sides of the moon.

Are you sure about that? I think it's evident Syd is at least half hammered and rocking out to Pink Floyd.

And l'm pretty sure Pink Floyd was at least half hammered during poignant parts of their songwriting.

And l'm pretty sure that there is a side of the moon that never sees the sun.

And l'm pretty sure l could look this shit up, but l'm very sure it's way more fun to throw wild conjecture and half recollections onto the internet and see what happens.

You'll have to be more specific as the sun shines on all sides of the moon.

Ah ha you're one of those space nuts, so was my one brother ran the planetarium at Youngstown State for many years. Another brother is driving with a friend from the Cleveland area to Kentucky to see the Eclipse...really.

Nuts.

Ah ha you're one of those space nuts, so was my one brother ran the planetarium at Youngstown State for many years. Another brother is driving with a friend from the Cleveland area to Kentucky to see the Eclipse...really.

Nuts.

Can you shoot your brother a text? Is there, or is there not, a dark side of the moon?

Nuts.

Super! I wish for clear skies for your brother! (and everyone else making the trek too.....of which there are many)

Did this Good, bad, ugly thing last season too and this years version looks to have more good and less ugly.....I know it's only game 1 of the pre-season and it's very popular(cliche?) to say it doesnt matter....but it does. THATS why we play these games....cause it's how the coaches(and us) can evaluate who looks best in game action. And while many like to say it's vanilla...and it's early...and the team will gel and look different come the regular season, history indicates thats not really true....they typically look and play about the same......so, without further adieu, lets tear into what we witnessed Thursday night......

THE GOOD:

1) We won!!!....and YES, it matters. One thing I preached on last season is that winning matters. Always! Losing breeds losing and winning breeds confidence, which then becomes more winning. So, had we lost, it would have been a mental let down.....especially since Hue stated that was one of our primary goals for this first game. Im glad for Hue that we got the win, because he was playing with fire saying it was his primary objective. Plus, everything "seems" better with a win. So A+++++ on that!

2) The D did look more aggressive and I love D......Ive had my fingers crossed that Williams would get these guys flying around and, so far, looks like he's making a difference. I will say that they did not look great, but will delve into that later.....

3) Some individual players stood out and gave me hope for their futures.....

• Nate Orchard....a guy Ive been hoping gets an honest chance(which he didnt get last season).....he stood out....made plays....was in on 2 sacks....and showed why he should be here. Hue needs to take note and keep Nate around.
  • Trevin Coley.....a guy weve been hearing is doing well, but know very little about. Well, he got noticed this week. Looks like a fire plug and I liked what I saw.
  • Mathew Dayes....saw very little of him, but he did look good carrying(and catching) the ball.
  • Myles Garrett.....I keyed in on him(of course) and LOVED what I saw. This guy will live up to his billing. Gonna give us some excitement and scare the piss out of opposing teams.
  • Boddy-Calhoun....looks ike he's picking up where he left off last season....which is good. Our Db's still look awful, so it's encouraging to see a young guy who may step up and be a player for us. If he continues at this rate, Id expect him to challenge Taylor for the starters position before the year is out.
  • Kizer....looked better than expected and gives me hope that he could develop into a good one....just one game, but what we saw is a hell of a lot better than seeing shit, then making excuses for the shit we saw. I like rookies who play well immediately(ala Garrett too) and show "why" they were drafted....instead of rookies who play like shit and expect us to wait 3 years before evaluating that shit we saw.....
  • Joe Schobert....the complete opposite of what we saw last year. Looked quick and decisive, instead of slow and indecisive. The move to MLB was a smart one. Good for Greg Williams to see this and make the change.

4) Big plays....bottom line......We saw some big plays at exactly the right moments. The D made some big stops, got some turnovers, had a goal line stand.....And the O pulled it out of their ass to get the win.....These are things that have been missing for a while now. They are difference between winning and losing......as we usually give them up, instead of making them. The only negative here is that "most" of this big play stuff happened with the backups and very little(none?) was done by the first team.....more on that later....

So....THE GOOD showed we have some players....some fire....and the ability to overcome adversity and win......a great start for a team that just lost 19 out of 20 games!

THE BAD:

1) Generally speaking....our first team did not look good. Offense or defense......the O was fairly stagnant and the D gave up big chunks, both running and passing.

• The D line was not good and did not stop the run. Shelton and Bryant(2 vets) were basically shut down and allowed them to run at will. Was very VERY disappointed with their performance.
  • The offense was about the same. We did not move the ball well....running or passing....and that worries me. Its almost as if we played 2 games.....where the 1st team lost and the reserves won.

2) Wide receivers.....a sore point with me....so I was really hoping to see some flash from Coleman...or Britt.....or Louis(who we've been hearing about).....but, alas, they all looked like shit. Absolute crap. Britt made error after error.....Coleman was invisible and ALWAYS covered.....and Louis did nothing to impress me. Sadly, I am certain we do not have the right guys here and it will be a long season for our QB's, who will be scanning....scanning....scanning....looking for someone to get the ball to. Not good......at all.

Note #1: is Rashard Higgins even on the team?.......I thought this guy was gonna be a star...hahahaha

Note #2: You know things are bad when a RB has to be your 3rd receiver. Its just the truth folks.

3) Tackles.....still extremely worried about our RT position.....Coleman and Erving both played poorly.

4) DB's....another area I think we knew was gonna be weak....and it is. The Saints, under pressure, passed at will....twice marching right down the field....completion after completion. We showed little to no coverage skills.....it was terrible. And we didnt even see Drew Brees. Imagine if it was a good QB playing....reminds me of last year, when the Pack did the same....without Rodgers....

So...in a nut shell....the Bad is that our first team did not do well.....all the good stuff happened later and was done by 2nd - 3rd and 4th teamers.....against the same.....Our DB's and WR's look as terrible as I prayed they wouldnt.....and RT(the same).....

The Ugly:

1) Cam Erving....Why does Hue keep playing this guy?????.....it's insane.

2) Wr's.......see above

3) Penalties.....shit loads of stupid dumb ass penalties.....it was terrible!....Hue needs to fix this immediately.

Summary....overall, I was pleasantly surprised and VERY happy to notch a win. Early returns indicate we (finally) drafted a couple first rounders who will show up. But. clearly, our first team needs to play better and I cannot get excited about how they looked against the Aints first teamers....still.....stepping in the right direction....but seriously deficient in several important areas.....

Lets see how things go against the Giants, as they are a much better team than the Aints....

Go Browns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, i guess at least it is a win...i don't think we even won a preseason game last yr. however, its only preseason...you can't tell if the 1st second or third string is in and who they are playing against...its too muddled fly. Lets see how game 3 plays out and even then, to me its still not a good indicator of anything...The big test is of course game 1 vs the steelers...there will be no muddling there....

Not to interrupt your strange chest pounding ceremony here - but your cut and paste of the original post you replied to included this:

2) The D did look more aggressive and I love D......Ive had my fingers crossed that Williams would get these guys flying around and, so far, looks like he's making a difference.

And it was... We even had DL clearing paths for LBs and DBs in both blitz and Goal Line situations... something I have longed for for-seemingly-ever.

Nassib was a fucking wrecking ball in the GL-stand collapsing the right side of the Saints' line repeatedly.

Greg WIlliams is Horton. Just like I told you.Nothing will change. HUE sets the D.

Fucking moronic...

Archived