THE BROWNS BOARD

Steve Smith Donates $100,000 To Victims Of Aurora Shooting

People give this guy a bad rap in here. He's been consistently a top 3 WR for years, his team mates love him. As a Browns fan, I would love to see this dude in orange and brown. Always liked Steve Smith.

It's been a week since the shooting in a movie theater in Aurora, Colo. that left 12 dead and 58 more injured, and people are still desperate to find ways to help those who found themselves in the middle of that nightmare.

In the first week after the shooting, reports indicate that nearly $2 million has been donated to help the injured victims get through the recovery process, and the families of whose who died. That included donations of time from the Denver Broncos organization -- several Broncos players visited the survivors in their hospital rooms over the last few days.

"We don't know for sure exactly how great the need is, but we know it's great, it's in the millions of dollars," Gov. John Hickenlooper told CBS4 in Denver. "Some of these folks are very, very seriously injured. Some of the deceased victims have children who are going to need resources."

One of the most extraordinary gestures comes from Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith, who has no specific connection to the Aurora community, nor to any of those affected. It was announced on Thursday that Smith has pledged to donate $100,000 to ease the burden of those who are carrying on.

"As a father and husband I cannot imagine the pain and suffering the victims are going through," Smith said via the team's Facebook and Twitter accounts.

"My family's hearts & prayers are extended to theirs, and I hope this contribution might assist in paying some of the medical bills that will help allow these families to move forward in this tragic circumstance.

"Hopefully this helps a little bit. From one NFL city to another, God bless."

"It amazes me, the generosity that the city has shown to the victims, firefighters, police officers and first responders," Aurora Fire Chief Mike Garcia recently said. "I'm taken aback. I really don't have the words for it."

He's probably even more amazed now, as are we.

Good story man, I know Steve has a good heart. He also recently went on a mission trip and washed the feet of poor villagers.

but trust me he gets a bad rap for a reason. I've lived in charlotte for a good while and have been to many training camps down in SC as well. He's very rude to fans all the time. And trust me, it's not fans who deserve it. he often (I've personally seen this) tells young kids to step off and literally will bark rude things at them. Also, he rarely if ever does fan events that aren't required, and when he does he's the same way. It's clear to me that Smith has that "I'm a pro player you're not" attitude and only cares about the football side of things.

With that being said, I'd love to have him on the Browns but will never happen. I've honestly never seen someone who can jump like he does, it's friking incredible in person. It's like dude has springs in his shoes.

Archived