THE BROWNS BOARD

☆ 2016 WORLD SERIES ☆ Chicago Cubs vs CLEVELAND INDIANS ☆

mjp28

Well folks the 2016 WORLD SERIES is tied up at 1-1 going back to Chi-raq, the Indians now must try and win at least one game there to get it back to Cleveland, Ohio.

See you Friday.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrigley will be insane, but I think we can pull it off

Just being real with ourselves here, Game 3 is going to be a monumental task to win. That of course doesn't mean we're out of it though. Assuming Game 3 goes to the Cubbies, we certainly have the pitching advantage in game 4. Even if they Cubs get game 5, we get back the home field advantage with Tomlin/Kluber to give us a shot.

Bauer tried his heart out.. I don't blame him.. The O left runners in scoring position and didnt execute.. Arrieta was on.. Theres a reason why the Cubs are here.. And it's not because of suckage.. they may be our biggest test yet and to Me.. They plainly are.

Bauer tried his heart out.. I don't blame him.. The O left runners in scoring position and didnt execute.. Arrieta was on.. Theres a reason why the Cubs are here.. And it's not because of suckage.. they may be our biggest test yet and to Me.. They plainly are.

Eh I'm not sure I 100% agree with you on Bauer. The guy wants to pitch HIS way and frankly he's not good enough to do that, at least yet. He throws lousy pitches at lousy times because he's too confident in this stuff. That could change but it's also the reason he walks a crap ton of people and gives up big hits. Talent isn't the issue, it's putting it all together that is right now.

Eh I'm not sure I 100% agree with you on Bauer. The guy wants to pitch HIS way and frankly he's not good enough to do that, at least yet. He throws lousy pitches at lousy times because he's too confident in this stuff. That could change but it's also the reason he walks a crap ton of people and gives up big hits. Talent isn't the issue, it's putting it all together that is right now.

Im just saying I can't put the blame all on him..I know Bauer has his limitations.. I'm not sure I wouldve started him , either.

The ivy is changing from green to red, an awesome autumnal attribute the public has rarely seen. The corner of Clark and Addison will finally be bustling with activity in the final days of October.

The World Series is coming to Wrigley Field on Friday night, and it is coming with the Cubs and the Indians knotted at one win apiece in a fascinating Fall Classic matchup with historic implications. In picking up the split at Progressive Field -- the Cubs did what all teams aim to do when they open a best-of-seven series on the road -- Chicago has the opportunity to swing this Fall Classic in its favor on its home turf.

• World Series Game 3: Friday, 7:30 p.m. ET air time | 8 ET game time on FOX

Considering it has been 71 long and painful years since this particular turf last hosted a game of this magnitude, one imagines the conditions will be fervently in the Cubs' favor.

"It's going to be electric," Kyle Schwarber said. "It's going to be really, really loud."

After his 2-for-4, two-RBI showing in the 5-1 victory in Game 2 on Wednesday night, some of the loudest cheers will be sent in Schwarber's direction. The question is whether they'll be rooting for him as part of the introduction of the bench or the starting lineup.

That Schwarber is even suiting up for this Series is a medical marvel, given that he had major surgery on his left knee a bit more than six months ago. That he's shown no signs of rust at the plate, while slotted in as the designated hitter in Games 1 and 2, is a baseball marvel that could force manager Joe Maddon's hand in his lineup construction in the National League park.

"I honestly don't know [what will happen]," Maddon said after Game 2. "That's something I'm waiting to hear from our medical side, because obviously he looks good. He looks good at the plate. Running the bases, he looks pretty good so far. … There's nothing about watching him that tells me that he's inhibited right now."

Left field will be an area of intrigue on both sides. The Indians are entertaining the idea of playing Carlos Santana, their regular DH, in left field for just the second time in his career. Santana played left from the sixth inning on in a loss to the Red Sox on Aug. 12, 2012.

That would be an iffy defensive proposition, to say the least, but Cleveland was weighing the pros and cons of keeping the bats of both Santana and Mike Napoli in the lineup.

"We want to keep every option open," Tribe manager Terry Francona said.

The starting pitchers for Game 3 were much easier to decipher. The Indians will send Josh Tomlin to the mound opposite the Cubs' Kyle Hendricks. The latter is an NL Cy Young Award candidate who has picked up precisely where his rousing regular season left off. Hendricks has a 1.65 ERA in 16 1/3 postseason innings.

Tomlin, meanwhile, has been one of those surprise stars October tends to churn out. Injuries to Carlos Carrasco and Danny Salazar thrust Tomlin into a more prominent rotation role than expected, and he's delivered two strong starts against the tough lineups of the Red Sox and Blue Jays, allowing three runs in 10 2/3 innings.

And if you think the Cubs returning home to Wrigley for the World Series is a great story, consider what's going on in Tomlin's world. His dad, Jerry, hasn't watched him pitch in person since a rare condition left him paralyzed from the chest down in mid-August. The elder Tomlin was released from the hospital last week, and he will be in attendance for Game 3.

This Series has presented us with no shortage of satisfying subplots, but the games themselves have both been blowouts so far. The Indians locked down that loaded Cubs lineup with their two best weapons -- Corey Kluber and Andrew Miller -- in Game 1, but Chicago, behind a strong start from Jake Arrieta and a sudden offensive upswing against Trevor Bauer and the bullpen, turned the tables against a sloppy Tribe team in Game 2.

Game 3 looms as a potentially important swing spot. The team winning Game 3 of a 1-1 World Series has gone on to win it all on 37 occasions (64.9 percent of the time), including 11 of the past 14 instances. For what it's worth, the home team has won Game 3 after a 1-1 tie just 45.6 percent of the time, and only three times in the past 10 tries.

Of course, for the Cubs, this is no ordinary home game. This is a game generations of fans have pined and pleaded for, and their prayers have finally been answered. Wrigley is finally getting its time in the World Series spotlight.

"It's the finest venue there is in professional sports, and maybe in all of sports," Maddon said. "Now, having a World Series to root for, it's going to be incredibly special."

10/28 8:05 PM - WORLD SERIES - GAME 3 in Chicago

901 Cleveland open +161 now consensus +185 - the INDIANS are a HUGE underdog

902 Chi. Cubs open -175 now concensus -200

Total runs - 7 now 8

Pitchers: (CLE) Josh Tomlin ® (CHC) Kyle Hendricks ®

TV: FOX

salazar only pitched that one inning 2 pop outs and a strike out I was surprised he did'nt go another inning just to see how his forarm held out

I don't think Salazar or Bauer are near ready yet but with no time to really find out for sure, no AAA, AA even A ball to experiment for a week or two and see under some kind of live fire. GO KLUBER & TOMLIN! The previous #1 & 5 guys.

I plan to watch from the start of pre-game tonight. Win or lose, seriously stop to think that this is the first time in 71! years Wrigley has seen a home world series game. This is honestly one of those tell your kids about moments.

As noted, this is gonna be a tough one for the Indians. The "good" news from game two though is that the big dogs are ready in the pen without hesitation. Santana is going to left field probably leaving the Guyer/Naquin/Davis/Crisp (whoever doesn't play center) to platoon and pinch hit. It gives the Indians the nice opportunity to pinch run Santana and move say Davis/Crisp into left if he gets on base in a tight game.

Just to lift our Indians up a bit.....

10/29 8:05 PM - WORLD SERIES - GAME 4 - Early look ahead (vegasinsider.com)

903 Cleveland open -110 early consensus -108 - the INDIANS are an early very slight favorite with Kluber

904 Chi. Cubs open +102 early consensus -102

Pitchers: (CLE) Corey Kluber ® (CHC) John Lackey ®

I think they can beat Lackey home or away.

WELL LIKE IT OR NOT......

4:15 PM ET

CHICAGO -- The wind could be howling out at Wrigley Field tonight and the brick wall that exists beneath the ivy is unforgiving. As if that is not intimidating enough, Carlos Santana will be dealing with the inherent pressure that comes with playing on the World Series stage.

Even with those factors in mind, the Indians are playing Santana -- a first baseman and designated hitter by trade -- in left field for Game 3 of the Fall Classic against the Cubs.

"You try to figure out, 'OK, what's our best way to win?'" Indians manager Terry Francona said during Thursday's workout. "If we don't play him out there, that's the best way to have nobody second-guessing me. I don't know if that's the best way to win".

Cleveland's conundrum is that there is no DH under National League rules, meaning that either Mike Napoli or Santana would have been rendered a pinch-hitter barring something unconventional. Francona has never lived within the boundaries of convention, and Santana has been one of the Indians' most potent and productive bats.

Santana took fly balls in left field during pregame drills in Cleveland over the past few days, and he did so again under the Wrigley Field lights Thursday night. The switch-hitting first baseman has only logged four innings as a left fielder in the Majors -- back on Aug. 12, 2012. Before heading out to left during the workout, Santana sat in the dugout and expressed enthusiasm over the possibility of playing the outfield.

"I'm excited," Santana said. "Tito, he tries to put out the best lineup. And this is where we are. I'll be OK. I'll be fine. We'll see what happens when I'm playing left field."

GOOD OR BAD IDEA? (I say start someone else, maybe put him in later maybe for a pitcher then switch to the outfield? )

Pending L or R batters. Ump is setting up inside corner. Cubs pitcher has stretched outside corner every inning. Hope tribe see it & go get it

INDIANS TAKE A 2-1 LEAD IN THE WORLD SERIES, SO?......

......"I think we've been an afterthought all year long," Tomlin said. "It doesn't bother us. We know we have a group of guys who grind it out and try to play the game we know how to play and don't listen to anybody else."

The shutout was the fifth in these playoffs for the Indians, establishing a Major League record for a single postseason.

How important is Game 3? The team winning the third game of a 1-1 World Series has gone on to win the championship 37 of 57 times (64.9 percent), including in four of the past six years.

"We know we're going to have our hands full to beat these guys," Tribe manager Terry Francona said. "Tonight was a good example. I mean, that was as close a ballgame as you're ever going to find, and we found a way to manage to win that game. You know, we say it all the time. We want to be one run better. That's about as true to form as you can get."

• Tito willing to take chances to give Tribe edge

The atmosphere leading up to the game was electric. It felt like New Year's Eve at Times Square. Generations of fans who never thought they'd see the Cubs in the World Series started the party outside the ballpark early on Friday, even if they didn't have a ticket for the game. But the ball never dropped, as the Cubs were held scoreless for the fourth time this postseason and never gave the 41,703 in attendance a reason to erupt.

The most shutout losses in a postseason by an eventual World Series winner is three, by the 1981 Dodgers........ :D

CHICAGO -- No longer can we say it has been 71 years since Wrigley Field last hosted a World Series game. But we can say it has been 71 years and nine innings since it hosted a World Series game in which the Cubs scored. And with Chicago having been shut out twice in the first three games of this best-of-seven Fall Classic, there is plenty of pressure on the home nine to roar to life in Game 4 tonight.

And the Cubs will have to do it against one of the best in the business.

• Game 4: Tonight, 7:30 ET air time | 8 ET game time on FOX

The Indians are sending staff ace Corey Kluber to the hill on short rest, looking to build on their 2-1 Series edge and put themselves on the precipice of their first championship in 68 years. The Cubs, who will counter with the October-tested John Lackey, are trying to regroup after a night of unsatisfying swings in a big swing game, and Kluber, who shut them down for six strong innings in Game 1, is a tough matchup.

"The guys got to see him, so there won't be as much of a surprise the next time he pitches," Cubs manager Joe Maddon said. "[Like with Dodgers ace Clayton] Kershaw, the first game he pitched here [in the National League Championship Series], extremely sharp with everything. The next game we saw him, not as sharp. So you just don't know. It's difficult for pitchers to replicate time after time, especially against the same team, especially with shorter rest to be as sharp… So hopefully that works to our advantage. But you've got to wait until the game's actually played to find out how sharp he is."

Cleveland set a record with its fifth shutout of the postseason Friday night, and let the record show that the four teams that have posted four shutouts in a single postseason went on to win the World Series. Conversely, Chicago will be attempting to become the first team to win a championship after being shut out four times in a single postseason. That may seem daunting, but don't tell that to the Cubs, who just 10 days ago were shut out by the Dodgers on back-to-back nights in Games 3 and 4 of the NLCS and then bounced back to score 23 runs in their next three games to win the series.

Kluber wasn't at his absolutely sharpest when he started Game 4 of the American League Championship Series -- one of only two games this postseason that the Indians lost -- on short rest for the first time in his career. But he worked around some early command woes to give the Indians five effective innings in which he allowed just two runs. Those are, in fact, the only two runs Kluber has given up in this postseason, as he's posted a 0.74 ERA in 24 1/3 innings over four starts.

"Last time was my first time, so I didn't know what to expect or how I was going to feel," Kluber said of pitching on three days' rest. "Now that I do know that I felt fine, it's just a matter of using those three days to recover. I'll be fine just go out there and pitch."

If Kluber pitches anything like he did in Game 1 of the World Series, he'll be in good position to potentially hand the ball to Andrew Miller with a lead. Miller, who threw just 17 pitches in Game 3 after throwing 46 in Game 1, will of course be available out of the Tribe's 'pen, which makes it all the more important that the Cubs get to Kluber early. Chicago knows that if it can win Game 4, the Series would head back to Cleveland for a Game 6. And because the Cubs' bats fared so well against Trevor Bauer in Game 2 and Bauer is scheduled to start on short rest in Game 5, they'd be in good position to go back to Progressive Field with a 3-2 lead.

It all starts with making the adjustment against Kluber, whose devastating action on his two-seamer was a difference-maker in Game 1.

"Any time Kluber's on the mound," Tribe pitching coach Mickey Callaway said, "we have a lot of confidence in him."

The Cubs feel much the same way about Lackey, who has a 3.26 ERA in 25 prior postseason appearances, including 22 starts. Lackey is one of the game's most fiery competitors, and his experience is an asset. The question is how much his extended rest -- he's made just two starts since Sept. 27 and will be on nine days' rest for this outing -- affects him. Lackey has been throwing more side sessions in an effort to stay fresh.

"It has been kind of a crazy schedule for me," Lackey said. "I feel like I'm pitching every two weeks. Once you get into the game, you kind of fall back on things you've been doing all season, and hopefully you execute."

The Cubs didn't execute offensively in Game 3, and that was a big bummer for the fans who had packed the stands and the streets in anticipation of the North Side's first World Series game since 1945. Perhaps the excitement of the occasion got the best of the Cubs.

"It's just one of those things," Maddon said. "We're capable of making the adjustments necessary, and we've got to do that moving forward. I don't think it was the residue of our guys being overwhelmed by the situation at all. I thought our guys -- evidenced by how well we played defense, we had great awareness on defense -- so the minds are working good. We just chased a little bit."

Tonight, the Cubs will be chasing a Series tie, while the Indians will be chasing a 3-1 edge that 69 teams in 81 tries have turned into a World Series title. So Game 4 is a big, big deal, and all eyes are upon the Cubs' ability to make adjustments against Kluber.

10/29 8:05 PM - WORLD SERIES - GAME 4 - From Chicago, IL

903 Cleveland open -110 now consensus +120

904 Chi. Cubs open +102 now consensus -130 this line varies but the Cubbies are slight favorites tonight.

Total runs - 6½ OVER / UNDER so far the UNDER bets have looked good but Kluber is pitching on short rest again.

Pitchers: (CLE) Corey Kluber ® (CHC) John Lackey ®

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ODDS TO WIN 2016 WORLD SERIES (11/2/16) (vegasinsider.com)

Team Odds

Cleveland Indians 10/13 <--- THE INDIANS NOW SLIGHT FAVORITES TO WIN IT!

Chicago Cubs 23/20

WORLD SERIES - EXACT RESULT (11/2/16)

Team Odds

Cubs 7 Games - Win 3/1

Indians 7 Games - Win 3/1 <--- DEAD EVEN ON IT GOING 7 GAMES

Indians 6 Games - Win 16/5

Cubs 6 Games - Win 7/2

Indians 5 Games - Win 5/1

WOULD HAVE BEEN SMART TO BET ON THE TRIBE EARLY? ;)

Archived