THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns All Time Team

The Gipper

I see, you are just plugging in AV values from PFF.

I've seen Burnett play and I've seen Roye play, Burnett was a more dynamic player and an integral cog in a very good defense. Burnett was better all around player and had 35.5. sacks his last four years in Cleveland as well, and made the Pro Bowl. Orpheus Roye ... not so much.

Cockroft was not our best kicker, and certainly was not our best punter, doesn't belong on the team, IMO.

Phil Dawson was an outstanding kicker, and Horace Gillom really set the standard as far as punters go in his day, and he innovated the position with his booming hang time kicks.

Lou Groza would make my roster as an OT, so that frees up the kicker spot for Dawson.

Zombo

I have already relinquished on the Roye pick in favor of Burnett...though I still of the opinion that the DE has been a weak spot historically for the Browns. Like I said, I remember Reggie Camp as favorably as I do Burnett.

Never thought about Gillom having never seen him play., though I did think about Collins..who I did see.. But I think you are right about Gillom.

I gave Dawson the #2 kicker spot. I wonder if Groza would have made the HOF simply on the basis of his work at LT. If he had not been the leading scorer for many years in NFL history would he have made it.

Since he partially made the HOF as a kicker...I had to give him that nod.

Going off my latest Trivia Quiz, I thought I would put together my version of this: The Browns All time Team.

I am going to go 2 deep on each position. Some of my choices may be controversial.

QB: Otto Graham, Frank Ryan

RB: Leroy Kelly, Bobby Mitchell

FB: Jim Brown, Marion Motley

WRs: Paul Warfield, Dante Lavelli, Gary Collins, Mack Speedie

TE: Ozzie Newsome, Milt Morin

OT: Dick Shafrath, Joe Thomas, Mike MacCormack, Doug Dieken

OG: Gene Hickerson, John Wooten, Joe Dellameleure, Robert Jackson

OC: Frank Gatski, Tom DeLeone

K: Lou Groza, Phil Dawson

DE: Len Ford, Paul Wiggin, Bill Glass, Orpheus Roye

DT: Walter Johnson, Michael Dean Perry, Jerry Sherk, Bob Gain

NT: Bill Willis, Bob Golic

OLB: Clay Matthews, Jim Houston, Chip Banks, Galen Fiss

MLB: Mike Johnson, Vince Costello, Dick Ambrose, Eddie Johnson

CB: Hanford Dixon, Clarence Scott, Frank Minnifield, Bernie Parrish

S: Thom Darden, Ross Fichtner, Eric Turner, Walt Sumner

P: Don Cockroft, Chris Gardocki

PR/KR: Eric Metcalf, Josh Cribbs

LS: Ryan Pontbriand

Would you replace anyone?

Note: Edited Bold = HOF. Notice more heavy on Offense

don't think so. everytime i see or hear jim houston's name it takes me back to the 69 championship game vs the vikings when he and joe kapp hit head on near the end of the game and kapp broke houston's shoulder. that was a tough collision there....

don't think so. everytime i see or hear jim houston's name it takes me back to the 69 championship game vs the vikings when he and joe kapp hit head on near the end of the game and kapp broke houston's shoulder. that was a tough collision there....

When you say "don't think so" you mean you would not replace anyone? I have already agreed to replace Orpheus Roye with Rob Burnett.

Archived