THE BROWNS BOARD

2017 Draft OL Evaluations

Tour2ma

^^ :wub: sounds like Tour maybe in a D. Dawkins 'Chocolate Thunder Jr". jersey Day 2 In Philly..Stay tuned

lol... yeah... at least deeply infatuated.

And somehow I never made the Dr. Dunkenstein connection... well done..

Dorian Johnson Pitt 6'5 300 (PSU/@OSU/VaTech/@Clem) - Distractions: PSU RB Connor #24,

Summary:

Had I stopped watching DJ after Pitt's opening drive vs. PSU as they ran over the Nittany Lions at will for a TD, I might have thought this was my new guy. In that series Dorian was quick, strong, aggressive against his DL opposite. He at least got a piece of level 2 D. He even hustled cross-field and almost got a block on a long run away from his side.

Then I realized I had not seen him in PassPro yet. When I did, things changed. The man has virtually no technique. He carries his hands low, steps rather than chops, has no initial kick, tends to retreat on his heels, has his feet spread too wide, his head swivel is slo-mo.

And as I pulled on his PassPro thread I began to unravel his run tech as well. He pops up out of his stance, tends to tip when he's pulling, what initial looks like "speed" is a lot of quick, wasted motion, he tends to pop and stop, he goes to the where the 2nd level is... not where they will be... and does not breakdown upon arrival so if the target moves, he misses.

In a word Dorian lacks control; he plays as if he's trying to catch up to a game that is too fast for him.

One of the things I look for in every evaluation, but especially in a case like Dorian, who has so much room to improve, is improvement through the season. He falls short here. That's not to say he added nothing to his game, but his basics really did not improve.

An example of a tech piece added late was his keeping his left arm extended in PassPro in contact with his LT. This allowed him to feel if the DE was releasing his way without having to look. In turn it allowed him keep his head turned inside to keep watch for a late stunt to the gap between the Center and him. While this is a nice, complementary piece of tech, it's an add on to sound fundamentals, like a good head swivel, not a substitute for them. There were times the gap grew so wide, so fast there was no way he was going to get to any attack going through it.

I must note that despite all of the above criticism, generally speaking Dorian could still be labelled as "effective". In the run game he contributed to many more gains than he limited. In the passing game he allowed few knockdowns, let alone sacks. However, in the latter case Peterman (took me a while to realize who I was watching) either threw fast or bailed fast play after play, mitigating the impact of any PassPro results. In projecting Dorian at the next level, I simply do not see "effective".

Raw Game Notes:
PSU Wk 2 (W 42-39): own 1-yl driving blast in, qck to 2nd ovrran LB, qck out rev seal, again qck to 2nd but need cntrl, qck thigh cut to grnd, big thmpin drv to ins, 1st unsure stutter then chased, stndup chp & 2nd-TD, qck pull n bury DB - some wasted motion, 1st passpro... bit awk off-bal and reached, nice fire and turn and neut of DT, drving passpro better but bal off, 1st defeat DT got under pads, , again DT neutd, DT hndld ZBS slide popped by #90 **vision/rxn?**, popped up on pull rt. big waste, drv angl on DT, qck to 2nd bit hd dip, DT spun out of drv, latching passpro hnds a bit out, qck to 2nd but near miss on LB **no anticipation**, pull rt ran by assign-made tkl- but then hit nother **Playing too fast/ game too fast**, high dbl; Q3: chp n rode dbl then nice 2nd cut off, late to gap shot dbl, better passpro chop and hands, enuff 2nd miss to allow tkl, unocc passpro never looked in where hlp needed, drving angle tie up of DT, chp n hest't'd at 2nd miss, DT rocked him bk in GL but occ'd - TD... Moving on...

@OSU Wk 3 (L 45-38): on heels passpro backpeddl- hands lo, drv ko of DT picking out, unbal w/ TE OK Jet sweep away, pull rt stop rch 4 DB thn drv, inf lft boot rt, thmp drv on 2nd LB, dip passpro shckd crss-face flshd, jumbo 3rd&shrt- pop up dbl DT, drv dbl, wide stnc shffl drop P/u DE, trppd on way to 2nd, unocc awk heel drop passpro hd on slo swivl, slo pop-up pll rt stop at assign whn cld have drvin, awk drp semi-shk by DE still battling LT; Q2: ovrran 2nd assign whiff, latch drv 2nd to grnd, inf lft no occ, pull rt fnd assign and ko, jumbo drv in seal DT, ditto, ovrrn 2nd who took self out of play, big chp n 2nd, slo pull rt in GL trippd, drv in rippd in flsh, bkpddl p/u blitz, dbl in touch trk while looking out, hndld slo-mo spin, fls step out recov **no ins 1st**; Q3: moving on...

VaTech Wk 8 off Bye (L 39-36): rode DE out, infl left boot rt, still wide retrt, rode out punchd rippd late, too wide let DT split dbl, flse strt, inf away slo to 2nd rchd, BIG drvin fire ins, , sld off drvin dbl, drvn ins pop, nice to 2nd thn stops, mini-chop unocc passpro, seal in wk pass rush, tipped pull rt- bad form dip dwn pop up, --- can't watch much more... seal out DE picking out, chicken flapping pass pro, rode Dt in left area, , drv DT pickin in in - TD, drv in pp, nice reach feel in looking out and came in when needed, almost rippd aft slo-mo spin, hndld wk pass rush, DT under pads clogged hole, GL hi pop 2nd - TD; Q3 - on to Clemson...

@Clem Wk 10 (W 43-42): tokn rush, dbl in, slo off sanp pulldecent trn up no engage, nice drv on Boulware, slo pull but seald DB-TD, init drv DT then fell n lost-tckl, neut DT, unocc pp p/u pursuit of bail, infl pull rt, scrum left run rt, crash in, slid L boot R, dbld pp, hi slo pll R nvr got to edge blitz, drov on stationary 2nd lvl, gave up ins, pop drv ride bury, dbl DE, qck rec on need outside pp, drving tie up of DT, pop DT aggrsv pp, neutd Watson rush, 2nd lvl on pass???, bump drv, , stood up shckd, qck 2nd hit, unocc init then beat ins n grabbed no call, chppd for 2nd blizer, slo to 2nd some traffic, jammd up went dwn, pop but shckd, GL undr DT but no move stff, , , beat ins, dance w/ Watson, Watson lulled into sack- both gassed, dbl pp; Q3: that's enough...

The Bottom Line:

If you want a willing, strong, mauling, road-grader of a play-in-a-phonebooth, hit-the-first-thing-you-see OG, then Dorian might be your guy... just don't ask much more of him. It's not that his PassPro tech is raw and in need of polish. It's that it barely exists. When he's asked to do more than "man over/inside" run blocking his chances of success are a crap shoot.

Dorian is now my #3 OG... same as he is at DraftScout. Except they have him #3 in the country and I have him #3 of the 3 I have assessed so far, at least one of whom was supposed to be behind Dorian. And I have the feeling he won't be ahead of many.

DraftScout gave Dorian a Round 2 grade. That strikes me as being loaded with a lot of wishful thinking. Certainly they have to be projecting based upon his "effectiveness". While I can agree he was, I cannot project that he will be.

I see Dorian as a Day 3 prospect. That means no better than a 4th round pick. To be honest I think R4 is too high, but then I have more OG tape to look at and I guess it could be even less impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

The Bottom Line:

I think I'm in love...

This is the best OL tape that I have seen so far. DD is skilled and talented. He looks like a solid, Bito 2.0 type of pick. And I see swing-man potential in him.

DraftScout has him as their #4-ranked OG prospect with a 2nd-round grade. I agree... Round 2. Ultimately where in Round 2 will depend on how impressed I am with the two OGs they rank higher that I have not seen: Feeney and Johnson. But as of now spending our #53 pick on him feels right and our #33, right at the R1/2 cusp, is not out of the question.

This take puts DD atop my OG stack at the moment ahead of Lamp who displayed more flaws at LT than Dion did and therefore is not in my judgement a R1/2 cusp prospect.. So that's one down... below DD... and two to go.

I don't know if this means much but Dawkins has met with the Browns (amongst others) according to this on walter football

http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByCollege

Walter Football has him the fourth ranked guard too

Dion Dawkins, G/OT, Temple

Height: 6-3. Weight: 317. Arm: 34.63. Hand: 9.75.

Projected 40 Time: 5.10.

Projected Round (2017): 2-3.

2/11/17: Dawkins has some fans in the NFL scouting community. They feel that he has some athleticism and could turn into a good functional blocker. The sources that really like Dawkins have him graded in the second round and think he has left tackle potential for the NFL. Some other teams have him graded a round or two later and think he would be a better fit at guard in the NFL.

Still, Dawkins had a fine senior season that has him in a good position for next April. Some sources believe that he won't get out of the second round during the 2017 NFL Draft. Dawkins had a quality week at the Senior Bowl, but showed he should be a guard in the NFL.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017OG.php#9etjfrSIYc1gc70F.99

1. Pat Elfein Ohio St ..6'2 1/4 300 3X 1st team at guard moved to center to help his draft stock. every year get 3/4 players who get a WOW! out of me Elfein this year. Junkyard dog, mean run blocker..loves football and hitting. loves to finish. quick feet. solid not great in pass pro. all academic/team captain. I'll be giving him a late 1st rd/2nd grade....only drawback a tad short for a center...

2. Jon Toth Kentucky 6047/308. majoring in mechanical engineering. very bright day one starter 4 year starter senior bowl confident/self assured flexible athlete runs well stout vs run/bull rush

3. Ethan Pocic LSU 6'6 309 like don't love Pocic from LSU at a tad under 6'6 an outlier at the center position and it shows on the field. taller players struggle to collect their feet in tight areas. See that in his game..still talented just don't like outliers as a rule still very solid vs run and pass

4.Tyler Orlosky Pittsburgh 6'3 295 . He gave up just one sack, one hit and four hurries during the entire 2015 season and his pass blocking efficiency of 99.0 ranked first in the nation among returning centers.per pff elite person/character elite production, team leader very bright. downside avg athletically at best..thick trunk can't be bull rushed

Chase Roullier Wyoming 6'3 1/2 323 very smart solid center/also plays guard

1.Cam Robinson improved in pass blocking in 2016.perfect build. strong, very competitive kid with all pro upside

2.Ryan Ramczyk OT Wisconsin tall, very comfortable in pass pro..quick feet lacks upper body strength so struggles in run game and vs bull rushes

3.Garett Bolles OT Utah 25 years old..lacks ideal height but junkyard mean as a player

4.Antonio Garcia OT Troy solid LT prospect good week at Senior Bowl long arms good feet

5.Dion Dawkins OT Temple early starter at RT big body, thick trunk very smart little top heavy and loses balance at times

1. Dan Feeney Indiana 6040/304 w/ 10.25" hand and 33.13" arm 305 started 45 career games and has allowed just two sacks (3,278 snaps).elite character/brains and production 1st tem All American 4 year starter Richie Incognito type blocker/build strong hands arms..locks onto defender and it's over very clean looks to be an all pro type player

2. Forrest Lamp elite LT kicks inside..not a sure thing inside lacks power/punch at guard but elite pass protector

3. Dion Dawkins Temple Temple 6'4 5 320 criminal justice major all academic LT prospect Senior Bowl solid OT prospect but feet might force him to RT/G strong hands finishes blocks. little top heavy/loses balance

4.Taylor Moton 6'5 327 Western Michigan heavy legged RT will play G at Senior Bowl. likely best at guard smart business major

5. Damien Mama USC 6'4 325 junior big time upside powerful, loves hitting and good in pass pro sleeper

6 Dorian Johnson Pittsburgh 6'5 300 runs well competitive lack strong hands wonderlic?

7. Jermaine Eluemunor Texas A&M 6'3 1/2 330 played RT in college senior season after rg junior JC kid quick feet for a big man wonderlic?

Pat Elflein OSU 6'2 300

Bottom Line:

Where would I consider taking him? Not at #33... more like our 2nd R2 pick and certainly by our #65 pick. Again this is pending how he looks at the Combine and how the rest of the Center and OL classes look.

(bump) Well any early reaction to what we saw yesterday? Looked to me we have more options but we would have to go higher from #33 at Feeney (interviewed twice) or Lamp? but also seemed to me we may have a larger class of 2nd-4th round talent to choose from at G that may play some center? (don't miss a QB snap today/get to it when you can,tanks)

(bump) Well any early reaction to what we saw yesterday? Looked to me we have more options but we would have to go higher from #33 at Feeney (interviewed twice) or Lamp? but also seemed to me we may have a larger class of 2nd-4th round talent to choose from at G that may play some center? (don't miss a QB snap today/get to it when you can,tanks)

Lamp looked to be the class of the class, but at the R1/2 cusp is just too expensive for where we are. I don't think Feeney either helped or hurt himself.

Of my early choices, I thought Dawkins confirmed his tape and his 3-cone was lights out.

Biggest winners? Small school kids: Garcia, Levin...

One I need to look at is Utah's Bolles. Measured great, but was something I did not like in his movement.

• 4 weeks later...

Will Holden - Vandy

Vs. Tennessee

OK run blocker on opponent at least shading him. Problematic anticipation if further away. Saw him downfield once crossfield... way late to any possible target. Called for holding on his first reverse seal attempt, but in at least three repeat assignments fared better. Too slow to cut off LB blasting inside to stuff 3rd & short attempt. O-fer the game on 2nd level assignments. Couple well executed cut blocks for which he was called for a chop once, but it was a marginal call as replay showed OG had disengaged prior to contact below the waist.

Pretty much a liability in PassPro until very late in the game. Early was hopping into position and being driven back by a much smaller Vol DE. Barely got to speed rushes, but did get to nearly every one. QB had to step up on most of them. Starting in Q3 he was getting RB help chipping wide rushers. Fared a little better vs. bigger DE subbed in in 2nd half. In Q3 was still hopping... bigger DE caught him mid-hop and ripped him to ground. Whiffed an inside blitz, part of a jailbreak, on own 2-yard-line that netted TN a safety when QB was buried. Strong tendency to head-dip and engage with pads rather than extend arms... punch was never displayed.

Very late in the tape, like the last series late, the hop was gone and a step-slide appeared. Don't know if it was fatigued induced or what, but it gave him more control. Maybe something there to work with? I'd be curious to see if he improved in 2016.

Did get distracted by a couple Vandy RBs... especially #7, Ralph Webb, 5'10 200, who ripped off a nice run up the middle at the 1:20 mark showing acceleration, speed and more than a little power. Had a couple of nice other efforts as well. Apparently he's staying in school.

Also a couple nice runs by #28, Dallas Rivers... also apparently staying put. not as "electric" as Webb, but maybe more power at 6'1 226.

Holden is #74...

Archived