THE BROWNS BOARD

Can This Draft Start like our 1978 Draft?

Flugel

Watched the video past the Howard discussion. We can agree to disagree on this one. I don't believe you take a TE #12 if you are the Browns. If they do I wouldn't stop being a fan, just don't think Howard, Njoku or Engram are the can't miss Gronkowksi type TE. I also get nervous as it pertains to Howard that the term "under-utilized" gets thrown around a lot. While I think offensive philosophies differ from place to place I'm not sure I subscribe to Nick Saban having an unstoppable force that he chooses not to use. If he truly is the next coming of Greg Olsen and Saban decided not to use him, there had to be some rationale behind it. The other really good players Saban has had were all utilized in his offense.

Again, he was like a sixth offensive lineman out there. Kiffin used him as a blocker so often because he was so effective. Alabama always relies on a heavy dose of smash mouth running. Ultimately, I think the fact that Howard was always willing and able to help the team even when he wasn't the target receiver is a plus for who he is as a football player. OJ isn't an ego-centric diva, he's the guy who can kill you with his athleticism as a pass catcher, or put your dick in the dirt with strong blocking. Not saying he will be the best player available, but I'm not going to complain about taking him at 12.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, he was like a sixth offensive lineman out there. Kiffin used him as a blocker so often because he was so effective. Alabama always relies on a heavy dose of smash mouth running. Ultimately, I think the fact that Howard was always willing and able to help the team even when he wasn't the target receiver is a plus for who he is as a football player. OJ isn't an ego-centric diva, he's the guy who can kill you with his athleticism as a pass catcher, or put your dick in the dirt with strong blocking. Not saying he will be the best player available, but I'm not going to complain about taking him at 12.

I see the same guy you see RR.

IMO, one of the biggest reasons TE prospects don't usually intrigue NFL teams up high in round 1 is because of the amount of deficiencies they have lessening their every down purpose or need. If I just saw another uni-Purpose TE I wouldn't even be thinking of Howard as high as #12. I don't share the sentiment stated in the video that because TE appears to be deep - it's okay to defer that position until later because it routes us away from BPA. The reason I could argue Howard is a BPA especially on the offensive side of the ball is based on how many important assets I can check off.

Can he block? Check.

Can he get open? Check.

Is he a big target with a nice catch radius? Check.

Does he have good hands? Check.

Does he have good speed for YAC? Check.

Have the sum of assets ever made him an X-factor in a Championship Game? Check.

Would his current coach see him as a team first (unselfish) kind of player? Check.

It gets tough to project what will still be available at #12 based on the uncertainty of the QB position. Will 1 or 2 of them be off the board before #12? As much as we hear that teams want to go BPA over needs - supply and demand has often been a large enough influence to the extent we see evidence of a run on various positions detouring the BPA plans over to need. Another thing inviting uncertainty between #1 and #12 is - will 2 different injuries push Hooker down that far? Will rotator cuff surgery with a 4 month rehab move Foster down? Will 1 or both of the top RBs get taken before #12? A lot of draft analysts look like they are expecting an early run on defensive players, which could mean choosing between a 2nd or 3rd best defensive player at 1 position up against a guy Cleveland rates #1 at a play maker position on offense.

Watching it all unfold will be every bit as fascinating as it is exciting. Stay tuned...

Archived