THE BROWNS BOARD

DL Depth Issue

hx214

I was at the game yesterday and saw Hughes go down in garbage time. They had to cart him off.

Any update on his status?

If he can't go, who does that leave?

Rubin and Kitchen?

When is Taylor due back?

Hopefully they get a few of these big guys back at the line for the run stopping is going to continue being an issue.

I suspect Taylor will be back next week. Depth is an issue in many spots on this team, I agree DL is probably where we've suffered the most. (And quite obviously on the Oline)

It's something we'll have to keep working on. Can't fill everything in 1 off season.

If he's out, we're left with:

D Bryant

Rubin

Winn

Kitchen

Maybe Phil Taylor, and maybe the other guy we picked up from waivers a while ago (Sua?)

In addition, Jacobbi McDaniels has been on the roster bubble as a UDFA the coaching staff was pretty high on in the summer.

The DL was the strength of this team when the season started in terms of depth. Now we have at least 3 men down.

One possible solution: return Sheard to the DE position, or even put Mingo there. Here are the players on our roster who are designated as Defensive Linemen:

Billy Winn

Phil Taylor

Aytahba Rubin

Ismaa'ly Kitchen

John Hughes

Desmond Bryant

Sione Fua

Jaccobi McDaniels PS

Armonty Bryant IR

Calvin Barnett PS injured

Now here are our LBs:

Tank Carder

Karlos Dansby

Christian Kirksey

Paul Kruger

Eric Martin

Barkevious Mingo

Craig Robertson

Jaball Sheard

Allen Bradford PS

Keith Pough PS

Darius Eubanks IR

With Hughes and Taylor of questionable health, we need something on that DL. Rubin and D.Bryant may have to be the ones to clog the middle.

Putting Sheard in as a DE can't hurt....as there is more OLB depth with Kruger and Mingo etc.

I presume, Gipper, you know that our DE's range from 285-320..? Sheard is 260 tops and by you asking him to move to DE that means sliding inside on passing downs. Which I have no issue with other than he won't hold the interior well of its a run play and Mingo won't hold the edge well either.

Maybe Phil Taylor, and maybe the other guy we picked up from waivers a while ago (Sua?)

In addition, Jacobbi McDaniels has been on the roster bubble as a UDFA the coaching staff was pretty high on in the summer.

Sua played some Sunday.

Not quite 3 weeks since Phil's knee was worked on. He was expected to be out "a few weeks".

I can't stress this enough - putting Sheard at DE means we have only Mingo and Kruger at OLB.

Kruger is having a very good year - now he seems to be over his back issue, he almost single-handedly doubled Oaklands sack total for the year. Mingo, on the other hand, isn't enjoying anywhere near the same level of success. Having just the two of them will cause conditioning issues, and Mingo's failures in the run game will cause problems as teams run at him over and again.

I can't stress this enough - putting Sheard at DE means we have only Mingo and Kruger at OLB.

Kruger is having a very good year - now he seems to be over his back issue, he almost single-handedly doubled Oaklands sack total for the year. Mingo, on the other hand, isn't enjoying anywhere near the same level of success. Having just the two of them will cause conditioning issues, and Mingo's failures in the run game will cause problems as teams run at him over and again.

Im with you. I get it. We can't put Sheard where he would be best, because he has to cover for Mingo. Just wish we had a good OLB so we could.

Nothing says Kirksey has to stay inside...

I presume, Gipper, you know that our DE's range from 285-320..? Sheard is 260 tops and by you asking him to move to DE that means sliding inside on passing downs. Which I have no issue with other than he won't hold the interior well of its a run play and Mingo won't hold the edge well either.

Both Sheard and Mingo would be better suited as a DE if we ran base 4-3 not the 3-4. In the 3-4 your ends need to be heavy ends. Sheard maybe but not Mingo.

Then Robertson and Dansby as the only ILB. I'd rather have 5 DL than 5 LBs in a 3-4.

And I'd rather be 3-deep at every position... but since we are not...

Carder can play... Martin is still on the roster... yes?

And who says the 3-4 I still the way to go?

And I'd rather be 3-deep at every position... but since we are not...

Carder can play... Martin is still on the roster... yes?

And who says the 3-4 I still the way to go?

Carder, sure, Martin, sure. But there's a reason these guys aren't playing when we're only rotating three guys between two positions as it is.

Nothing to say we can't switch from 3-4, I agree, but the defence is starting to click a little now, so I'd be reluctant to make big schematic changes.

A DE doesn't have to be that big. And why would a DE slide inside. They are called an "end" for a reason. They play on the end, not inside. Yes, I understand that some players are versatile enough to play inside and outside. Sure, if you have JJ Watt or Reggie White you can do that. We don't quite have that kind of versatile player. Besides, as noted before, Fred Dean, Charles Haley....these guys were tall, slim pass rushers. Mingo could do that.

I'd like to see us return to the ENT with the standup 9tech (Kruger) That means Sheard could return to having his hand in the ground at a more "traditional" DE look. He'd be the weakside DE and the SDE would most likely be Big Phil (when healthy) allowing Rub, Hughes and Kitchen at the Nose and Winn to sub for Phil.

edit: Mingo could sub in for Sheard while he slides inside on passing downs.

can't understand the inability of the coaching staff to utilize each player on the DL/LB to their each unique skill.

both pettine and o'brien were in love with mingo and wanted to draft him in buffalo.......as what, a OLB who drops back in coverage?

doubt it.

this has all been a ploy. i see it now (smirk)

we want everybody in the league to think we're soft across the board for the first half and in the second half of the season when they turn on all cylinders after waiting it out like the lakers used to do,

yep.

wait until gordon gets back.

A DE doesn't have to be that big.

... Fred Dean, Charles Haley....these guys were tall, slim pass rushers. Mingo could do that.

No they don't, but Fred Dean was from a different era and Haley was not Mingo slim. Even Kevin Greene had to finish his career as an OLB.

If on the small side they need to be both quick and agile, like Dwight Freeney... who BTW is now an OLB in San Diego.

can't understand the inability of the coaching staff to utilize each player on the DL/LB to their each unique skill.

both pettine and o'brien were in love with mingo and wanted to draft him in buffalo.......as what, a OLB who drops back in coverage?

doubt it.

It's possible Mingo's just a workout warrior bust. In terms of getting the most out of their players, apart from the two games where he had massive pain killing injections, Kruger has looked streets ahead of last year. 5 sacks already on the season. 2 only for Sheard who was supposed to be the ace in the hole of this D is more worrying.

It's possible Mingo's just a workout warrior bust. In terms of getting the most out of their players, apart from the two games where he had massive pain killing injections, Kruger has looked streets ahead of last year. 5 sacks already on the season. 2 only for Sheard who was supposed to be the ace in the hole of this D is more worrying.

what is more troubling that our defense with better players (meh + - some positions) playing under a DC<HC looks worst on the field, than last year with some bum scrub flappy that coached the team but had basically the same perosnnel and had them ranked within the top ten.

I just find it odd the way they use Mingo. Was drafted as a edge speed rusher, which to me means he should be in on 3rd down passing plays doing nothing but speed rushing off the edge, yet on almost every third down he is on the sidelines watching.

No they don't, but Fred Dean was from a different era and Haley was not Mingo slim. Even Kevin Greene had to finish his career as an OLB.

If on the small side they need to be both quick and agile, like Dwight Freeney... who BTW is now an OLB in San Diego.

The big difference here is not body type......it's that Dean, Haley and Greene could all tackle well.....they were finishers....lets face it, Mingo can rush and he can cover, but he canNOT tackle well or finish the play.....

Archived