THE BROWNS BOARD

Running Backs - Handled Negatively

ATENEARS

So Tour...ur saying that oak and jax "did not" put more than 7 guys in the box and they still stuffed us that hard?

Yes, if you look back at the footage that wasn't the case like everybody would like you to believe.

Looking back on Jax, on almost all (at least 20) of Hoyers incompletions they sent 4. Hardly stacking the box making Hoyers arm beat you.

Stockton said they loaded the box maybe 100 times because Hoyer cant throw citing a basement blog post so people are starting to believe it :-P

Look both Jacksonville and Oakland brought 8 men in the box pretty much the whole game on 1st and 2nd downs at some point Hoyer need to audible out of these runs into some deep passes or your just going to keep running into a brick wall. It will be interesting to see if Tampa does the same seeing as Lovie is a Tampa 2 guy.

Yep Hoyer needs to show that he will punish defenses that stack the box by calling audibles. We know he is smart enough to recognize and adjust to defenses, so I wonder why we aren't seeing more of this.

I'm wondering if a possible solution to our running game problem is if we should put a lineman instead of the third offset tight end when we run in the formation below (not sure if this is what we run exactly but I know we do the double tight-end on one side thing). Put an athletic lineman there on the edge and maybe we can finally start sealing it again for the outside runs:

Stanford-Notre-Dame-Pre-Shift2.jpg

Yes, if you look back at the footage that wasn't the case like everybody would like you to believe.

Looking back on Jax, on almost all (at least 20) of Hoyers incompletions they sent 4. Hardly stacking the box making Hoyers arm beat you.

Stockton said they loaded the box maybe 100 times because Hoyer cant throw citing a basement blog post so people are starting to believe it :-P

Exactly... and Clefan... the box counts are now in the weekly line grades.

I wish I had started rigorously recording the counts earlier when Mack was still at Center. I'd bet there has been fairly little shift to more in the box as weeks passed.

In Week 3's game vs. BLT I started noting high loadings, but almost nothing noted in Weeks 5 and 6.

So we've been getting our run stuffed by teams only using their front 7. And people think we don't need to draft OL?

I'm not seeing a lot of do or don't debate... more a debate of how high.

Yep Hoyer needs to show that he will punish defenses that stack the box by calling audibles. We know he is smart enough to recognize and adjust to defenses, so I wonder why we aren't seeing more of this.

I'm wondering if a possible solution to our running game problem is if we should put a lineman instead of the third offset tight end when we run in the formation below (not sure if this is what we run exactly but I know we do the double tight-end on one side thing). Put an athletic lineman there on the edge and maybe we can finally start sealing it again for the outside runs:

He has been calling some audibles... mostly it appears he changes the side at which we run.

The added O-lineman is interesting. Another option would be the Colt unbalanced line.

Exactly... and Clefan... the box counts are now in the weekly line grades.I wish I had started rigorously recording the counts earlier when Mack was still at Center. I'd bet there has been fairly little shift to more in the box as weeks passed. In Week 3's game vs. BLT I started noting high loadings, but almost nothing noted in Weeks 5 and 6. I'm not seeing a lot of do or don't debate... more a debate of how high. He has been calling some audibles... mostly it appears he changes the side at which we run.The added O-lineman is interesting. Another option would be the Colt unbalanced line.

Would be better if he called an audible to a passing play.

Archived