THE BROWNS BOARD

Indians loaded farm system AND from the past Masterson?

mjp28

The Indians farm system is already loaded AND......

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Free agent Justin Masterson, former ace of the Indians pitching staff, is headed to the Arizona desert to try and restart his career.

Jesus Aguilar, meanwhile, is getting a fresh start after showing power for the Indians at every level but the big leagues.

Masterson, 32 on March 22, is scheduled to arrive in Arizona next week to start a throwing program. Randy Rowley, Masterson's agent, said he should be ready to throw for teams by the end of February.

Rowley said 10 to 12 teams are expected to watch Masterson throw. The Indians are expected to be attend.

Masterson, 6-6 and 260 pounds, has not pitched in the big leagues since 2015 when he went 4-2 with a 5.61 ERA in 18 games, including nine starts, for Boston. He was released in August of that season and underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder in September.

He pitched in Pittsburgh's minor-league system last year going a combined 3-2 with a 4.86 ERA in 26 games, including six starts, at Class A Bradenton and Class AAA Indianapolis.

Masterson spent parts of six seasons with the Indians from 2009-14. He was at his best from 2011-13, going 37-35 with a 3.96 ERA in 97 starts and 100 appearances. Masterson, in that stretch, struck out 512 batters in 615 1/3 innings.

In 2014 Masterson and the Indians couldn't come to terms on a multiyear deal. Masterson, in his walk year, struggled with a drop in velocity and was traded to St. Louis at the July trading deadline.

Aguilar, 26, was designated for assignment by the Indians on Jan. 26 to make room for infielder Richie Shaffer. The Indians, who claimed Shaffer on waivers from Cincinnati, dropped him on Jan. 30 after acquiring right-hander Carlos Frias in a trade with the Dodgers.

Last season Aguilar led the International League with 30 homers and 92 RBI for Class AAA Columbus. Over his last three years at Columbus, he hit 68 homers and drove in 262 runs.

The Indians signed Aguilar as a free agent in Venezuela in 2007. He hit 140 homers in the minors, but not one in the big leagues. Aguilar, who is out of options, played parts of three seasons with the Indians from 2015-16. The 6-3, 250-pound Aguilar received only 58 at-bats in that time......

Nice to be THE team in the AL. ;)

So can Aguilar be this year's Napoli. ...well sorta?

.....The Indians signed Aguilar as a free agent in Venezuela in 2007. He hit 140 homers in the minors, but not one in the big leagues. Aguilar, who is out of options, played parts of three seasons with the Indians from 2015-16. The 6-3, 250-pound Aguilar received only 58 at-bats in that time.

Brewers GM David Stearns told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Aguilar will have a chance to make the club as a bench player. Eric Thames, a left-handed hitter who spent the last three years in Korea, is scheduled to be the starting first baseman.

"We see (Aguilar) competing for a right-handed role off the bench," said Stearns. "There are a number of ways we can formulate our roster. So, he'll come to camp and compete for a job.

"His calling card is big right-handed power. He also controls the strike zone relatively well and we're excited to see what he can do for us in spring training."

I am at the point where I am so pissed off that I don't want to be bothered until/unless they are back in the World Series.

Though, I guess some people are saying that Game 7 was the Greatest World Series game ever played....and that yesterday's SB was the greatest ever played.

So be it.

I am at the point where I am so pissed off that I don't want to be bothered until/unless they are back in the World Series.

Though, I guess some people are saying that Game 7 was the Greatest World Series game ever played....and that yesterday's SB was the greatest ever played.

So be it.

The NBA finals of 2016 was also certainly one of the best of all time

Archived