THE BROWNS BOARD

Columbus and the NFL...

Go 'Losers

Will it happen?

Could it ever happen?

Current population: 822,553

Growth: 500,000 more in next 30 years

If San Antonio is a possible landing site for the Raiders certainly the league has to at least notice Cbus.

Am I right?

There's even a nice stadium they can play in until a new team builds their own...and trust me, there is room for two!

ohio-stadiumjpg-9892dbe86ddbebac.jpg

Too close to Cincy and Cleveland

Okay, what about this....

In 10 or 20 years would the Bengals ever consider it?

If the Browns didn't leave in 1995 but instead left in 2015 would they have gone to Columbus?

It's only been in the last decade that Columbus, OH went from being a sleepy "Cowtown" to major growing metropolis. The Capital City has a huge population, big corporations headquarters, major university (very important), greater for young and middle-aged people. I mean it makes so much sense on paper anyway.

well with the browns showing interest in columbus through a TC situation and the nfl not saying no it would seem likely something would happen in columbus. not saying a permanent nfl team being there but maybe a game or 2 being played there during the regular season by the browns and bengals. bring more revenue, nore 'on-the-fringe' fans and the nfl has a footprint there just like they do when they send teams to europe or mexico.

well with the browns showing interest in columbus through a TC situation and the nfl not saying no it would seem likely something would happen in columbus. not saying a permanent nfl team being there but maybe a game or 2 being played there during the regular season by the browns and bengals. bring more revenue, nore 'on-the-fringe' fans and the nfl has a footprint there just like they do when they send teams to europe or mexico.

Thats a fair point. Not sure the league would go for it otherwise you'll get teams doing the same thing all over the country.

My thought is that Columbus is not on the radar right now....BUT, it will be when the population clicks over 1,000,000 in roughly a decade.

Nobody legitimately saw cities like Jacksonville, Indianapolis, or even Seattle getting teams! However, these cities population, media size, and other factors were impossible for the NFL to ignore.

Also...

You know "That State up North" ??

Well Detroit is a sinking ship and there is nothing that says the Lions have to stay in the Motor City!

yeah but any true fan of the nfl would hate to see a team move from their place in history. you've never had to deal with it. browns fans have and believe me you don't want to be in the crowd fighting for your team to stay in pittsburgh when roooney just decides to do a money grab and move to columbus or marietta or louisville cuz the city of pittsburgh won't give him what he wants.

i can't believe there's not more of a huge cry-out for the fans in st. louis. i mean it seems like no one gives a shit. and then 2 other cities in cali thinking about moving and the fans just are like 'whatever'.

you never know what you had until it's gone.

Why? It's 275 miles away?

He still considers it HIS territory despite the distance.

Though....having a daughter that lives there, a lot a San Antonio is switching to the Houston Texans......a team that has been making the playoffs with a couple of popular players. It is a somewhat fickle, transitory town.

And Houston is actually closer. If they get a QB, they could take over as SA's team.

I also would not hold my breath on Columbus being considered this almighty attractive market to put a team into. The NFL is all about the buzz and going into the biggest markets (why do you think they have been slavering over LA).

See this link:

http://www.tvb.org/media/file/2015-2016-dma-ranks.pdf

This is what the NFL looks at, television markets. Markets bigger than Columbus without NFL teams now include:

Sacramento

St. Louis

Orlando

Portland

Raleigh

Hartford.

Hell, Sacramento, to me, could/should be a place for the Raiders to look at. They are the next door market to Oakland...and they would not really be losing the East Bay market if they move there. But, perhaps Sacramento may be no more willing to build a new stadium than Oakland is.

Orlando is betwix and between Tampa and Miami....and kind of have split loyalties there as I understand (actually more toward the Dolphins). They are considered a taken market.

St. Louis is considered a deserted market.....and unless they come up with big bucks to start to try to lure teams there, they will not likely get another shot any time soon (but, like I said $$$ could change that)

Portland is kind of like San Antonio. The Seahawks think they own Portland which is only 175 miles away. (but, of course both Pittsburgh/Detroit/Columbus are closer than that to Cleveland). Plus, Portland is a...whatever you want to say, a pussy city....Gen XYZ city.....they are as much into Futbol as they are Football.

Raleigh....though over 200 miles away from Charlotte is considered "Carolina's" market. There was a reason they call the team Carolina Panthers rather than Charlotte Panthers. They consider Tobacco Rd.....a huge market with Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Durham and Raleigh as their market. The NFL has no plans to disrupt that.

Hartford is considered a battle ground market for the NYC teams and the Patriots.

Same as Columbus for the Browns and Bengals. The NFL wants the interest and the sales in those markets....just not to put a team there.

Not a bad relocation site for The Browns. At some point, 4- 12 is going to get old.

Not until the lease is up in 2028

Okay, what about this....

In 10 or 20 years would the Bengals ever consider it?

If the Browns didn't leave in 1995 but instead left in 2015 would they have gone to Columbus?

It's only been in the last decade that Columbus, OH went from being a sleepy "Cowtown" to major growing metropolis. The Capital City has a huge population, big corporations headquarters, major university (very important), greater for young and middle-aged people. I mean it makes so much sense on paper anyway.

UM the Buckeyes rule Columbus. As far as playing Browns games in Columbus- City of Cleveland would howl. They collect 8% tax on every ticket sold- they won't give that up easily.

Here is the list of urban areas ordered by population. Population = potential demand for the owners. StL is 20th, Cbus is 36th.

But the key to determining team location isn't just population count: It's whether or not the owner can get more corporate welfare from his current city - or the next metro area.

Just like I hoped against the Olympics here in Boston -- they wanted to hold wrestling in Lowell, of all places -- I hope an NFL team never lands in Columbus.. because the money given away never matches the revenue of businesses that sprout up solely due to the NFL team. Bars aren't successful in the arena district because of the blue jackets... they're successful because they're close to OSU student residences, they're new, and they're fun. The blue jackets might be good for a bump every now and then, but the bars need customers every day not just on gameday.

Columbus has admirably spent years diversifying the businesses housed in Columbus to reduce the impact of any one boom-and-bust cycle on overall city economy... and any NFL team will throw a wrench into those plans.

NFL teams do not "add jobs" -- rather, cities would achieve better results by taking the taxes they would otherwise give to the owner and actually hiring people with that cash.. ideally by increasing their small business loans, or some such. [Or fixing roads, or actually funding education at a level that isn't reminiscent of a tinpot 3rd world dictator, etc] You can hire a lot of people with a labor budget of $200 million dollars each year. The question isn't "have the team or not" -- rather, the question is "what should we do with 5% of our budget." The city will still acquire and spend the same amount of your tax dollars.

Here is the list of urban areas ordered by population. Population = potential demand for the owners. StL is 20th, Cbus is 36th.

But the key to determining team location isn't just population count: It's whether or not the owner can get more corporate welfare from his current city - or the next metro area.

Just like I hoped against the Olympics here in Boston -- they wanted to hold wrestling in Lowell, of all places -- I hope an NFL team never lands in Columbus.. because the money given away never matches the things that sprout up solely due to the NFL team.

Columbus has admirably spent years diversifying the businesses housed in Columbus to reduce the impact of any one boom-and-bust cycle on overall city economy... and any NFL team will throw a wrench into those plans.

NFL teams do not "add jobs" -- rather, cities would achieve better results by taking the taxes they would otherwise give to the owner and actually hiring people with that cash.. ideally by increasing their small business loans, or some such. [Or fixing roads, or actually funding education at a level that isn't reminiscent of a tinpot 3rd world dictator, etc] You can hire a lot of people with a labor budget of $200 million dollars each year. The question isn't "have the team or not" -- rather, the question is "what should we do with 5% of our budget." The city will still acquire and spend the same amount of your tax dollars.

The one bit of non starter with your urban area link is that, unlike the DMA, it does not provide the right data that the NFL wants.

Example....it divides Akron and Cleveland and Canton into separate urban areas......but for purpose of television marketing, product marketing (especially something like NFL football) that data is too disparate. NFL markets are set as essentially a 75 mile radius from the center city (or perhaps from the stadium where the team plays). That market area is institutionalized into their "Blackout" rules. While Akron/Canton/Youngstown are within the Browns marketing area, Columbus and Toledo are not. Columbus is outside anyone's specific area, while Toledo is inside the Lions market area. Dayton is inside the Bengals.

Archived