THE BROWNS BOARD

Columbus Leeches?

Kvoethe

So i catch a bit of Triv on the way home from work. Reporter calls in and is talking about some back alley deal to build a training facility in columbus at taxpayer expense and the team would have training camp in Columbus and leave Cleveland behind.

Ill have to research it. http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/02/cleveland_browns_and_columbus.html

Anyone hear anything?

The Cleveland Browns and the Columbus business community want Greater Cleveland taxpayers to help pay $5 million for the Browns to move their training camp to a site on or near the Ohio State University campus.

This outrageous request was quietly added to a list of projects the Columbus Partnership wants funded in the biennial state capital improvements bill, scheduled to be introduced in late March or early April.

I've obtained a copy of that list [see document below], which Columbus leaders worded in an underhanded way designed not to attract attention to the fact they want every taxpayer in Ohio to help pay for the Browns' three-week relocation.

That list, asking that Ohio taxpayers spend $5 million to move the Browns' training camp to Columbus every year for at least the next decade, has been sent to leaders in the House and Senate, and to the office of Gov. John Kasich.

The request from Columbus business leaders says the $5 million is to help pay for an "athletic practice training facility."

It then describes the project this way: "The Athletic Practice and Training Facility will serve as a backdrop for collegiate athletic teams and community youth programs to utilize throughout the year. It will also attract professional athletic teams and franchises to our region."

Translated: We're going to disguise this as a tax request to help kids, but it's really about the Browns.

Some defenders of the deal -- and there are precious few -- argue the practice and training facility would also be used by other groups. But that's not enough lipstick to make this pig the least bit attractive.

The fact is, but for the Browns agreeing to move, the training facility doesn't get built.

Capital improvement projects are funded by Ohio taxpayers. The state issues bonds to pay for construction projects it deems worthy and uses tax dollars to retire the bonds.

The Columbus Partnership, which includes leaders of about 50 of that city's largest corporations, is the lead proponent of using state tax proceeds to move the Browns. But the funds are being sought with Browns owner Jimmy Haslam's knowledge and approval.

Haslam has been negotiating to move the team's training camp to Columbus since nearly 50,000 fans attended an intrasquad scrimmage at Ohio Stadium last summer.

August 2015: Potential deal with Columbus to host team's training camp is 'getting closer,' Haslam admits

Browns scrimmage before nearly 50,000 fans at Ohio Stadium on Friday night.

Under terms of the deal between the Browns and Columbus, the team would train there for about three weeks prior to every season, beginning in late July.

There's nothing in his agreement with Berea to prohibit Haslam from moving the training camp 120 miles south. About a half dozen NFL teams already train in other cities.

But neither the Browns nor the Columbus establishment have any right to expect any taxpayer outside of Greater Columbus to pay for any such move.

Not wanting this controversial request to become an issue in the March 15 primary election, Columbus business leaders hoped to keep it secret until at least mid-March.

Now they've been caught.

And if the legislature approves spending $5 million for the Browns' move, two things might happen:

*Cuyahoga County voters could begin an effort to repeal the sin tax they extended in the spring of 2014.

*Any legislator who supports taxing his or her constituents to move the Browns training site would -- and should -- face a political backlash from voters.

That's especially true of the three existing state legislators who hope to be elected in November to represent Berea in either the House or Senate. Those legislators are State Reps. Mike Dovilla and Nan Baker, and State Sen. Tom "Hey Sweetie" Patton.

Ohio Sen. Tom Patton suggests opponent shouldn't run because she's a young mother

Senate Majority Leader Tom Patton, now running for the Ohio House, has suggested primary opponent Jennifer Herold shouldn't be running for office because she is a young mother.

Patton brags about being one of the select few who makes "big decisions" in Columbus. If that's true, he should be able to kill this idea in no more than six seconds.

Kasich could also put an end to this by telling legislative leaders he would line-item veto any bill that uses Cleveland taxpayer money to move the Browns' training camp.

The Greater Cleveland Partnership, which will provide state officials with its own list of projects for funding, has neither endorsed nor opposed the Columbus proposal.

Traditionally, cities do not use the capital improvements bill as a weapon to hurt another part of the state. The GCP has never done that. Now the Columbus Partnership wants to change the ground rules. And it's disgusting.

Alex Fischer, Columbus Partnership president and a driving force in this deal, passed the buck to Linda Logan, head of the Columbus Sports Commission.

Logan declined to comment on the wisdom of using capital dollars for this project, but said the potential deal with the Browns has been years in the making.

"I think it's a wonderful collaborative effort," she said. "We're exciting about what this could mean for the community."

Browns spokesman Peter John-Baptiste said the team is exploring all options to move the training camp offsite and that Columbus is one of those option.

Meanwhile, residents of Berea would be right to wonder why they've showered the Browns with $25 million in incentives and outright gifts since 1991.

The Browns pay no rent at the team headquarters, which Berea built for them in 1991.

Taxpayers will also shell out $14 million to $15 million for a major renovation and expansion planned at the headquarters. In return, Berea splits player income taxes with Cleveland and keeps 100 percent of the nonplayer income taxes.

June 2015: Berea will help renovate Browns headquarters and extend team's stay

Berea will spend $14 million to $15 million to help the Browns renovate their heaquarters and stay there through at least 2028.

Berea Mayor Cyril Kleem said moving training camp would cost the city about $40,000 a year in tax revenue. That doesn't include the losses restaurants and other businesses would suffer in Berea and surrounding communities.

This deal is public policy at its worst.

In a year when angry voters seem more convinced than ever that the system is rigged to punish hard-working taxpayers, the Browns and Columbus business leaders are doing their part to prove them right.

HASLEM IS A DICK!

exactly, it's TC. Nobody cares. I'm serious i'll bet anything it's about getting a better relationship with the OSU program. WOuldn't hurt either. I mean the number one player on the team tweeted a few weeks ago that Cleveland was a dirthole of a city. Couldn't hurt to have a good relationship with the program WHo knows maybe one day Urb decides to jump to the NFL and guess who would be a good landing spot for him

Even though it would make it a lot shorter drive for me to hit training camp- I say HELL NO to the idea. Berea has literally kissed the Browns collective asses for years.

Maybe a day or two, like the Bengals move their TC around, but not all three weeks.

It's not like the Browns headquarters are going to move to Columbus. It's training camp. It's three weeks out of the year. I literally could not care less. And it's Columbus. Not Erie, Pennsylvania or some other shite place. Go Bucks.

Rationale? I think Haslam fears the Bungles are taking over Columbus. Oh, it's a great deal if you're a Bucks fan living in Columbus. The hardcore NE Ohio Cleveland season ticket holders that like to attend training camp are going to be seriously POed.

You think established vets that have homes in Cleveland (like Joe Thomas) would be happy spending those three weeks in Columbus? I sure wouldn't.

As a Berea resident, it sucks. Our State House Rep, Mike Dovilla is already working on trying to get this stopped, but I doubt it gets any traction. The City of Berea (who also happens to be my employer) just worked a new deal out with the Browns, keeping them here until 2028. It was a so-called "win-win" for both sides.

So a taxpayer funded practice facility in Columbus? A low-scale Kroenke move for sure. Hey Jimmy- take the $$ that the City of Berea saved you on renovations from your 76 Lou Groza home and build it yourself.

I think it's more about trying to regain a state-wise fan base than anything else. Training camp may spark some interest, but ultimately it's wins that will woo fans back in.

I think it's more about trying to regain a state-wise fan base than anything else. Training camp may spark some interest, but ultimately it's wins that will woo fans back in.

Not crazy about this idea....at all......and definitely don't want to pay for it....

I agree with you Bob.....if the Browns want to win over the fans of Ohio, the only way to do it is to beat the Stools and Bungles...

Who cares it's training camp

I think the "Who cares" part of it is that they want the taxpayers to pay for it.

NFL teams make a gross amount of money and usually have taxpayer paid facilities to conduct their businesses in.

I get no taxpayer support for my business.....why should they get any more. Especially when the motivation is to get more money from a market they are in contention with another team for.

You want to win over the Columbus Market? Win a Fucking Super Bowl!!!

The training center is not exclusive to the browns. 49 other weeks a year it'll be used by the taxpayers

I have some oceanfront property in nebraska to sell you.

anything to spread the word or implant coverage to a new area .............what's the big deal?

i mean urban takes the bucks up the road somewhere where they get to train on another field. mangini used to take teams to other states for practice to help out charities.

wtf? if they said hey the browns are going to do TC 2 weeks at this so and so location that is not berea? who gives a fuck?

now if they're talking about building a whole new facility and asking for people there to pay for it then.......

now if they're talking about building a whole new facility and asking for people there to pay for it then.......

The bigger beef is that they're asking everyone in Ohio to pay for it....not just the people in Columbus, who will be the only beneficiaries....

Let Haslam or Columbus pay it all.....

sometimes you have to make concessions for something that must be apart of your state's history until the day you die. let's not forget too quickly why the browns became the ravens and fans were without a team. pass the plate. i got $10 and i don't even live there. stand up and be counted or be the reason why another fat cat decides to take his shit and go home.

sometimes you have to make concessions for something that must be apart of your state's history until the day you die. let's not forget too quickly why the browns became the ravens and fans were without a team. pass the plate. i got $10 and i don't even live there. stand up and be counted or be the reason why another fat cat decides to take his shit and go home.

Gotta disagree....the Browns did not leave because they had a weak fan base....

Rather than paying millions to buy new fans, how about Jimmy just improving the team to keep the fans????

Winning is what attracts fans....not 3 weeks of practice......

Archived