THE BROWNS BOARD

Benjamin 'close' to signing a new contract

gftChris

yeah and barnidge is no gronk, or bavarro, or ozzie or evans. sure he looks great when he grabs a pass wide open because no one thinks anything of him except us. it was like the wentz pass to vanetti (osu te in the senior bowl)....you can say wow, great pass (behind him by 2 yards) or great catch but did he make it a yard after someone tripped him up by his shoelaces?

c'mon man. there's a HUGE difference.

i mean when's the last time we saw any browns player carry four defenders on his back 10 yards into the end zone? mack? meanwhile gronk and those built like him do it 10 times a game.

Manziel was good in college because he was in college. Receivers are the most overrated players on the field. The Panthers will probably win the Super Bowl and no one seems to care that their best wide receiver is Ted Ginn Jr. Almost every year the champions win with QB play and defense. We have neither and we still have people complaining about receivers? Do you people pay attention to what happens in the NFL or do you just watch your diabetic neighbor play madden?

Remember that one time Bellicheck drafted a receiver in the first round? Yeah, neither does anyone else.

Talk to the 49ers of the late 80s early 90s.

All positions are going to be overvalued when you excel at other aspects. The Panthers have rushed for 100 yards in 31 straight games and combine that with their defense you don't need to throw for 400 yards.

Better O-Line, running game and defense.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Put up one of the best stretches, if not the very best, in NFL history during the 2nd half of 2015. His O-line is also patch work, and not made up of highly-touted draft picks like the Browns'

Hartline is 6'2" also. With him and Barnie that's two. And don't forget bowe and housler...

Cleveland was the 2nd straight team where the idea of Doogie Housler was way better than the reality of him.

How many years do we need to go back to see Bowe's last TD reception?

Good post. And, I agree. But technically, there was Derrick Alexander

WR 2014 7 29 244 Jeremy Gallon Michigan
2013 2 27 59 Aaron Dobson Marshall
2013 4 5 102 Josh Boyce Texas Christian
2012 7 28 235 Jeremy Ebert Northwestern
2010 3 26 90 Taylor Price Ohio
2009 3 19 83 Brandon Tate North Carolina
2008 5 18 153 Matt Slater UCLA
2006 2 4 36 Chad Jackson Florida
2004 5 32 164 P.K. Sam Florida State
2003 2 13 45 Bethel Johnson Texas A&M
2002 2 33 65 Deion Branch Louisville
2002 7 33 244 David Givens Notre Dame
1995 5 13 147 Mike Miller Notre Dame
1995 7 23 231 A.C. Tellison Miami (FL)
1994 1 29 29 Derrick Alexander Michigan
1992 2 24 52 Patrick Rowe San Diego State
1992 6 3 143 Rico Smith Colorado
1992 11 9 289 Augustin Olobia Washington State
1991 6 2 141 Michael Jackson Southern Mississippi
1991 9 16 239 Shawn Wiggins Wyoming

Good stuff. Unfortunately, here's a list showing we haven't had a lot of luck w/ WRs in round 2 of the regular NFL draft either.

Lawyer Tillman - I remembered looking forward to seeing/hearing some "Bernie to the Attorney" hook ups - but bad luck w/ injuries ruined that.

Patrick Rowe

Dennis Northcutt - good return guy but disappointing WR that demanded 1st round $ for being a 32 overall pick in 2000 (before a 32nd team was added).

Quincey Morgan - The rock quarry for hands that inspired Bottlegate before Cincy took that tradition over a month ago.

Andre Davis - Too many injuries to get anything going.

Greg Little - Led us in dropped passes both years we led the conference in drops. Most PRO teams don't draft WRs that need to be taught how to catch.

Good post. And, I agree. But technically, there was Derrick Alexander

The irony is that Derrick Alexander is the 2nd best(in career production) WR drafted by the Browns in the last 30 years...

So the one that Bullychuck picked was the only winner, compared to the other 14 we've picked in the top 2 rounds....of course, he left with the Browns in '95....

Good stuff. Unfortunately, here's a list showing we haven't had a lot of luck w/ WRs in round 2 of the regular NFL draft either.

I went back and researched every WR picked in the top 2 rounds since '85 and it's a long list....14 of them, to be exact....which is basically one every other year....and there are no real stars in the group....none....

Who is the BEST WR the Browns have drafted in the last 30 years?....That would be Keenan McCardell in Round 12......problem is that we didnt play him and let him leave and the next year he exploded......had a great career elsewhere.....

Out of the 14 high draft picks(rounds 1 & 2) only 2 of them stuck beyond their rookie contracts....Northcutt and Slaughter....

Some of our more productive/popular WR's during that same 30 year period were Brian Brennan Rnd 4....Reggie Langhorne Rnd 7....Josh Cribbs UDFA

Benjamin is worth it in my opinion.

I would say it depends on what they pay him, cause Im not convinced this season wasnt a fluke.....give him #2 or 3 money and Im good.....but give him big money and I think they're making another money mistake.....

The irony is that Derrick Alexander is the 2nd best(in career production) WR drafted by the Browns in the last 30 years...

So the one that Bullychuck picked was the only winner, compared to the other 14 we've picked in the top 2 rounds....of course, he left with the Browns in '95....

I went back and researched every WR picked in the top 2 rounds since '85 and it's a long list....14 of them, to be exact....which is basically one every other year....and there are no real stars in the group....none....

Who is the BEST WR the Browns have drafted in the last 30 years?....That would be Keenan McCardell in Round 12......problem is that we didnt play him and let him leave and the next year he exploded......had a great career elsewhere.....

Out of the 14 high draft picks(rounds 1 & 2) only 2 of them stuck beyond their rookie contracts....Northcutt and Slaughter....

Some of our more productive/popular WR's during that same 30 year period were Brian Brennan Rnd 4....Reggie Langhorne Rnd 7....Josh Cribbs UDFA

Great stuff! The only nitpick is Keenan McCardell was drafted by the Washington Redskins in round 12.

Great stuff! The only nitpick is I don't think Keenan McCardell was drafted by Cleveland. Without looking, I think either Washington or Chicago drafted him.

Son of a gun...you're right.....so the one great one we picked, we really didnt pick....figures

Son of a gun...you're right.....so the one great one we picked, we really didnt pick....figures

That was a good post so it wasn't a big deal at all Mud. I'm kind of partial to Brian Brennan when we factor in how often that guy came up huge on 3rd downs. The guy led our WRs in Receptions despite part time work almost exclusive to 3rd downs.

The thing I like about Benjamin is he wasn't a high round and in our 2014 matchup with TN - I began to see our patience paying off from training/coaching up the investment to him knowing when/where to sit down in a route as well understanding how to adjust to a coverage leverage/zone blitz scheme. In 2014, he had our most yards per catch and TD receptions in the WR Corps despite only playing part time. I saw a lot of the same things in 2015.

Here's another scary stat......the last 3 Browns WR's to make the Pro Bowl???

2007 - Braylon Edwards

1990 - Webster Slaughter

1970 - Paul Warfield

ouch!

Josh Gordon too.

The scary thing is what came after the Pro Bowls from Gordon and Edwards. Football looked 2nd to partying.

I began to see our patience paying off from training/coaching up the investment to him knowing when/where to sit down in a route as well understanding how to adjust to a coverage leverage/zone blitz scheme. In 2014, he had our most yards per catch and TD receptions in the WR Corps despite only playing part time. I saw a lot of the same things in 2015.

And that coaching has paid off....he started to catch the ball with his hands.....a notable change from his first couple of years.....

And that coaching has paid off....he started to catch the ball with his hands.....a notable change from his first couple of years.....

Exactly! It's just nice to know when we finally draft a keeper at the position (who also keeps out of trouble) - he's worth keeping. I'd pay the kid so we have 2 comforts in our passing tree McCown established some reliable chemistry with.

I wish I could trust Josh Gordon getting on the field but when did any of his college teams ever gain such a trust in him? The last impression I had of him after vowing we'd see the very best of him when he came back for the last 6 games in 2014 was a guy that took plays off, didn't know the playbook, and was tardy to/missed a team meeting (getting him suspended by the staff). He could be some good trade bait for more picks.

That Doctson kid at the top of round 2 is really tempting. It would make it tougher for teams to double up on anyone.

Sometimes knowing you're not as talented as a DIVA coming out to show up feeling entitled - it leads to a very cool story like Wayne Chrebet outplaying MeShawn Johnson (especially on 3rd downs when QBs tend to choose their most reliable guy). One guy played his tail off while another worked harder writing a book "Throw Me the Damn Ball."

The small school football program (Hofstra) that Wayne Chrebet played in on Long Island before Marques Colston attended - no longer exists.

Where does 1989 1st rounder Eric Metcalf fit in all of this? Seems to me he was a decent WR and a heckofa ko/punt returner.

I would say it depends on what they pay him, cause Im not convinced this season wasnt a fluke.....give him #2 or 3 money and Im good.....but give him big money and I think they're making another money mistake.....

I agree with this, and I think most folks do, which one would think means no one is going to offer the #1 money.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Put up one of the best stretches, if not the very best, in NFL history during the 2nd half of 2015. His O-line is also patch work, and not made up of highly-touted draft picks like the Browns'

If you want to add an elite QB to the list of players the Seahawks that the Browns don't, I agree. The discussion I thought was focused on Seattle's success with undersized/less talented WRs. My point is simply, you can hide deficiencies when you are very talented/proficient at other aspects of the game.

Archived