THE BROWNS BOARD

Benjamin 'close' to signing a new contract

gftChris

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/browns_travis_benjamin_agent_i.html

"I'm optimistic that something will get something done in the near future,'' Butler. "We've been in contact with the organization here in the last couple of weeks and we're still trying to figure out how we can get this thing done where both sides agree to a fair offer. But Cleveland has made strides in terms of getting him back in a Browns uniform.''

Seems like maybe he's valued more highly by Huey Jackson and the Harvard three than he was by Ray "don't like that new-fangled passing game" Farmer.

I stuck up for Ray Farmer but in hindsight, I have no idea what he was trying to achieve

What killed Farmer, apart from any infighting/texting, was his inability to make the big time investments pay off. We have some really promising pieces in place, the likes of Bitonio, Johnson, Orchard, Cooper, Shelton, Meder, Crowell, Kirksey, Williams, and others that were all brought in by him, but in terms of big free agent signings, Dansby has been solid, Whitner worse than Ward (who wanted to stay but is now in the SB), Bowe is catastrophic, Rob Housler - remember him? - was brought in for decent money and promptly left. Draft picks - Gilbert and Manziel won't likely be on the team in 2016, Shelton has been OK and hopefully will improve but hardly set the world alight, Erving looked pretty disastrous. Bitonio is his highest pick that looks like he could be very good, and from six round one or two picks, that's not good enough.

It seems conclusive he had no choice re Manziel but fine make sure you give him the chance to succeed. He gave a short QB even shorter receivers and he couldn't see any of them. Off field problems would have ruined it anyway but the point still stands

Both Gilbert and Erving are incredibly raw (being polite) and were taken in the first. Just gave us no chance

It seems conclusive he had no choice re Manziel but fine make sure you give him the chance to succeed. He gave a short QB even shorter receivers and he couldn't see any of them. Off field problems would have ruined it anyway but the point still stands

Both Gilbert and Erving are incredibly raw (being polite) and were taken in the first. Just gave us no chance

And he couldn't see that part of the reason Manziel succeeded in college was because he had a WR with a huge catch radius. It would seem obvious that you would try to create an environment for your supposed franchise QB that borrows some things from what he succeeded with in college.

And he couldn't see that part of the reason Manziel succeeded in college was because he had a WR with a huge catch radius. It would seem obvious that you would try to create an environment for your supposed franchise QB that borrows some things from what he succeeded with in college.

Butt, butt, butt ................Bowe and Mayle it in. :P

Travis Benjamin is a nice piece of the puzzle, but unfortunately...he will fit better if we have a certain other piece. It's infuriating just how much we need Josh Gordon. I know people will disagree with me, but to have a guy like Gordon...man...

Travis Benjamin is a nice piece of the puzzle, but unfortunately...he will fit better if we have a certain other piece. It's infuriating just how much we need Josh Gordon. I know people will disagree with me, but to have a guy like Gordon...man...

Who could possibly disagree with that?

He was busted after Week 17, for having booze on an airplane... WITH A COACH. He's not a pariah.

I agree whole heartedly! Why would you draft a small quarterback and not draft Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin type receiver? And drafting Vincent Mayle was really really stupid! I believe they drafted Erving for the day Alex Mack decides to leave. Justin Gilbert was Pettine's "Boy". Maybe Gilbert will change with a new coach?

Thanks Ray, you stubborn horses ass!

Yet somehow Russell Wilson makes due with a set of WRs that are 5'10, 6'1, 5'10, 6'0 and 6'1... Why is that?

And one the shortest was his best...

Agree...

Also true? Mike Evans is more than just a tall WR who pushes off everytime... which is how I think I mistakenly characterized him prior to his draft.

Manziel was good in college because he was in college. Receivers are the most overrated players on the field. The Panthers will probably win the Super Bowl and no one seems to care that their best wide receiver is Ted Ginn Jr. Almost every year the champions win with QB play and defense. We have neither and we still have people complaining about receivers? Do you people pay attention to what happens in the NFL or do you just watch your diabetic neighbor play madden?

Remember that one time Bellicheck drafted a receiver in the first round? Yeah, neither does anyone else.

Agree...

Also true? Mike Evans is more than just a tall WR who pushes off everytime... which is how I think I mistakenly characterized him prior to his draft.

I wouldn't have argued with that. Refs around here let both sides get away with murder on the boundaries. That said, Evans has some tremendous tools.

I wouldn't have argued with that. Refs around here let both sides get away with murder on the boundaries. That said, Evans has some tremendous tools.

Does that include the one that threw to him in Texas?

Mike Evans certainly pushes off more than most, but if they don't call it...LOL. Evans also has more infuriating drops than just about anybody on the planet. Still, he's a viable threat, and will probably only get more dangerous. You know who else pushes off? Kelvin Benjamin for the Panthers. I know he was hurt this season (geez...think about the Panthers with HIM healthy), but in his early years, he had about 5 touchdowns called back in college for pushing off, LOL. However, he learned how to do it "legally" and he blossomed. What do Evans and Kelvin have in common? SIZE, SIZE, and more SIZE.

Manziel was good in college because he was in college. Receivers are the most overrated players on the field. The Panthers will probably win the Super Bowl and no one seems to care that their best wide receiver is Ted Ginn Jr. Almost every year the champions win with QB play and defense. We have neither and we still have people complaining about receivers? Do you people pay attention to what happens in the NFL or do you just watch your diabetic neighbor play madden?

Remember that one time Bellicheck drafted a receiver in the first round? Yeah, neither does anyone else.

Good post. And, I agree. But technically, there was Derrick Alexander

WR 2014 7 29 244 Jeremy Gallon Michigan
2013 2 27 59 Aaron Dobson Marshall
2013 4 5 102 Josh Boyce Texas Christian
2012 7 28 235 Jeremy Ebert Northwestern
2010 3 26 90 Taylor Price Ohio
2009 3 19 83 Brandon Tate North Carolina
2008 5 18 153 Matt Slater UCLA
2006 2 4 36 Chad Jackson Florida
2004 5 32 164 P.K. Sam Florida State
2003 2 13 45 Bethel Johnson Texas A&M
2002 2 33 65 Deion Branch Louisville
2002 7 33 244 David Givens Notre Dame
1995 5 13 147 Mike Miller Notre Dame
1995 7 23 231 A.C. Tellison Miami (FL)
1994 1 29 29 Derrick Alexander Michigan
1992 2 24 52 Patrick Rowe San Diego State
1992 6 3 143 Rico Smith Colorado
1992 11 9 289 Augustin Olobia Washington State
1991 6 2 141 Michael Jackson Southern Mississippi
1991 9 16 239 Shawn Wiggins Wyoming

Mike Evans certainly pushes off more than most, but if they don't call it...LOL. Evans also has more infuriating drops than just about anybody on the planet. Still, he's a viable threat, and will probably only get more dangerous. You know who else pushes off? Kelvin Benjamin for the Panthers. I know he was hurt this season (geez...think about the Panthers with HIM healthy), but in his early years, he had about 5 touchdowns called back in college for pushing off, LOL. However, he learned how to do it "legally" and he blossomed. What do Evans and Kelvin have in common? SIZE, SIZE, and more SIZE.

Did anyone miss Gronks pushoff in the back of the endzone when he scored over the smaller DB? They never really showed it later in the highlights of the Denver loss, just the ending TD catch. He gets away with it more than any other NFL player. Here was the best they would actually show.

https://youtu.be/DwvG_gV7hgk?t=2m24s

Agree... offensive PI is undercalled, but I'd rather the refs call Defensive less than try to equalize offensive by throwing even more flags.

Poorly worded by me... Yes, Evans still pushes off a lot, but since he's been a pro I've seen adjustments and body control I never saw at A&M.

mike evans was my fave receiver in that draft. push off or not, the browns have no one a qb can throw the ball 6 ft. over their had and come down with it in the end zone while little flea cbs bounce up and off him like the fleas they are (compared to him). gronk? mark bavarro? ozzie? can we find someone bigger that a beetle to grab a ball over their heads and then steam roll people into the end zone?

maybe?

mike evans was my fave receiver in that draft. push off or not, the browns have no one a qb can throw the ball 6 ft. over their had and come down with it in the end zone while little flea cbs bounce up and off him like the fleas they are (compared to him). gronk? mark bavarro? ozzie? can we find someone bigger that a beetle to grab a ball over their heads and then steam roll people into the end zone?

maybe?

You were right on Evans, for sure.

I still wish they had taken Allen Robinson in that draft.

Good post. And, I agree. But technically, there was Derrick Alexander

WR 2014 7 29 244 Jeremy Gallon Michigan

2013 2 27 59 Aaron Dobson Marshall

2013 4 5 102 Josh Boyce Texas Christian

2012 7 28 235 Jeremy Ebert Northwestern

2010 3 26 90 Taylor Price Ohio

2009 3 19 83 Brandon Tate North Carolina

2008 5 18 153 Matt Slater UCLA

2006 2 4 36 Chad Jackson Florida

2004 5 32 164 P.K. Sam Florida State

2003 2 13 45 Bethel Johnson Texas A&M

2002 2 33 65 Deion Branch Louisville

2002 7 33 244 David Givens Notre Dame

1995 5 13 147 Mike Miller Notre Dame

1995 7 23 231 A.C. Tellison Miami (FL)

1994 1 29 29 Derrick Alexander Michigan

1992 2 24 52 Patrick Rowe San Diego State

1992 6 3 143 Rico Smith Colorado

1992 11 9 289 Augustin Olobia Washington State

1991 6 2 141 Michael Jackson Southern Mississippi

1991 9 16 239 Shawn Wiggins Wyoming

You're right, I meant patriot era Belichick, after he had learned how to win.

maybe?

Barnidge.....and Terrelle Pryor if he sticks and performs.

Gordon, if he returns.....and yes, I am in favor of drafting a big WR. Mayle was supposed to be there as well. How could they have missed so badly on him?

Barnidge.....and Terrelle Pryor if he sticks and performs.

Gordon, if he returns.....and yes, I am in favor of drafting a big WR. Mayle was supposed to be there as well. How could they have missed so badly on him?

Hartline is 6'2" also. With him and Barnie that's two. And don't forget bowe and housler...

Archived