THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns might have a huge problem brewing...

Clevfan4life

There are many aspects of past generations I wish were still prevalent - mainly in terms of music and culture. But the relentlessly piling on of millennials is, to me, unfounded - especially when it comes to loyalty. Sports-wise, there may be a better case for it, but millennials have shown to be fiercely brand loyal in a number of market research studies, moreso than other generations. However, that loyalty starts with identifying quality products, which the Browns haven't been throughout a majority of most millennials life-cycles.

This age of connectivity makes it easier to root for teams from anywhere in the nation and, as such, makes it easier for the casual fan to "follow" the sport. So it's not outside the realm of reason that there'd be more bandwagoning in today's age. Doesn't make the generation more fickle.

I bought a Panthers hat, after all. Can't be rooting for Denver.

Well, I agree with just about everything you say....except your conclusion. Yes, I do think it makes this generation more fickle.

You said "loyalty starts with identifying with quality products for millenials". You failed to complete the thought inherent in your statement though: without the quality product, loyalty shifts to a different quality product. That is the implication I am reading into that.

Well, I agree with just about everything you say....except your conclusion. Yes, I do think it makes this generation more fickle.

You said "loyalty starts with identifying with quality products for millenials". You failed to complete the thought inherent in your statement though: without the quality product, loyalty shifts to a different quality product. That is the implication I am reading into that.

Fair enough, it was my fault. I meant that the entry barrier for this generation is quality. Millennials in general remain loyal to the brands that they originally purchased, partly because switching brands is admitting that their initial valuation may have been misplaced.

Millennials will research a product to determine which have the highest value at the time of their purchase, then will generally stick with that product regardless of how it plays out over time.

Take Apple for instance - despite the fact that they haven't been nearly as innovative since Steve Jobs passed, millennials remain fiercely brand loyal to Apple products because, for the vast majority, Apple offered the highest value at the time of entry for the largest share of millennials (early-to-mid 2000's for products). You have to remember that the millennial generation is in their 20's and early 30's now...so the entry barrier isn't now for most products, but 5-10 years ago. For this reason, you'll likely see a lot of Vikings, Patriots, Steelers, and Packers fans in their 20's with zero regional or familial affiliations to those geographic locations.

We may be arguing the same point, however, if you were talking Gen Z - who have shown to be more trendy and less loyal in their product purchases due to a number of factors, with social proof being a big one.

All in all, though, the problem with the Browns is multi-layered - they weren't winning over the past 10-15 years, therefore they weren't capturing the millennial market in their formative years, they aren't winning now to capture Gen Z'ers nor are they trendy enough to capture Gen Z'ers, and, because they missed the boat on millennials - there's a chance they won't be appealing to the children of millennials either.

(This is all excluding regional and familial ties, of course.)

Wow. This entire thread just baffles me.

To address the OP, why do you think you can 'breed' Browns fans?

Your kids should follow this team because they were born here? Or because you 'taught' them to?

I'm not getting that at all. Can't they make up their own minds?

I would agree with you on any other subject "except" when it comes to the Browns. You can also have other auxiliary teams you casually enjoy watching. I had the 49'ers, until they tore up that defense, and the Colts...now just them...as teams I watch when their game is on. I'll probably also follow to some extent whatever team Bosa lands on cause he'll probably be a kick to watch. But that's "casual". I'm sorry but if you grow up around here you ought to be Browns fan first and foremost. Teams in big markets can and always will pull fans from all over so they have that income. The Browns "need" the diehard Browns fans. That goes for all teams not in the big elite cities that most players want to go play for. Do you think the Dolphins give a whole lot of fucks about the immediate area? Of course not, they'll always have players that wouldn't mind going there cause of south beach...just the way it is. Teams like Cleveland cannot compete with those kind of cities based on those superficial qualities. We "have" to be among the most loyal fanbase in all of sports, it's one of the teams selling points.

IMO fantasy football has hurt fandom. Football is a team sport and fantasy football isn't except for defense and special teams. Now if you're hoping for players to win for you they're not all going to be on the same team.

Let's say Tom Brady is on a kids fantasy team. He's not rooting for the Pats, he's rooting for Brady. So as the season progresses he's a player fan rather than a fan of a team.

I've got my 13 month old nephew in his first Browns windbreaker. Did my part.

miktoxic put me in my first Browns T-shirt and my son got me my first Browns blanket (and like Linus, I needed it this year). So they are to blame for my conversion, not JFF. :lol: :lol:

Fair enough, it was my fault. I meant that the entry barrier for this generation is quality. Millennials in general remain loyal to the brands that they originally purchased, partly because switching brands is admitting that their initial valuation may have been misplaced.

Millennials will research a product to determine which have the highest value at the time of their purchase, then will generally stick with that product regardless of how it plays out over time.

Take Apple for instance - despite the fact that they haven't been nearly as innovative since Steve Jobs passed, millennials remain fiercely brand loyal to Apple products because, for the vast majority, Apple offered the highest value at the time of entry for the largest share of millennials (early-to-mid 2000's for products). You have to remember that the millennial generation is in their 20's and early 30's now...so the entry barrier isn't now for most products, but 5-10 years ago. For this reason, you'll likely see a lot of Vikings, Patriots, Steelers, and Packers fans in their 20's with zero regional or familial affiliations to those geographic locations.

We may be arguing the same point, however, if you were talking Gen Z - who have shown to be more trendy and less loyal in their product purchases due to a number of factors, with social proof being a big one.

All in all, though, the problem with the Browns is multi-layered - they weren't winning over the past 10-15 years, therefore they weren't capturing the millennial market in their formative years, they aren't winning now to capture Gen Z'ers nor are they trendy enough to capture Gen Z'ers, and, because they missed the boat on millennials - there's a chance they won't be appealing to the children of millennials either.

(This is all excluding regional and familial ties, of course.)

Now you are just confusing me with your listing of Generations?

the extent of my knowledge is That the Baby Boomer generation are those born 1946 to 1964.

Before that it was the Lost Generation, born 1929 to 1945. Before that the GI Generation born 1910 to 1928.

What came after the Baby Boomers? Is this Gen X?

1965 to 1982? Then after them? 1982 to 2000? Is this Gen Z?

Then was about kids born since 2000? Are these "Millenials"? I

IMO fantasy football has hurt fandom. Football is a team sport and fantasy football isn't except for defense and special teams. Now if you're hoping for players to win for you they're not all going to be on the same team.

Let's say Tom Brady is on a kids fantasy team. He's not rooting for the Pats, he's rooting for Brady. So as the season progresses he's a player fan rather than a fan of a team.

Good point.

Now you are just confusing me with your listing of Generations?

the extent of my knowledge is That the Baby Boomer generation are those born 1946 to 1964.

Before that it was the Lost Generation, born 1929 to 1945. Before that the GI Generation born 1910 to 1928.

What came after the Baby Boomers? Is this Gen X?

1965 to 1982? Then after them? 1982 to 2000? Is this Gen Z?

Then was about kids born since 2000? Are these "Millenials"? I

There are six living generations from a marketing standpoint.

GI - roughly 1901-1926. Children of WWI, fought in WW2.

Silents - roughly 1927- 1945. Korean/Vietnam War generation.

Baby Boomers - roughly 1946-1964. Yuppies. Rock and Roll. Credit.

Gen X - roughly 1965 -1980. Latch key kids. Entrepreneurs. Generally self-centric.

Gen Y/ Millennials - roughly 1981 - 2000. Brand loyal. Schedule/research focused. Collaborative.

Gen Z - 2000 - present. Eco-fatigue. Tech-savvy. Oversaturated with brands.

The last two are the ones I'm referring to.

There are six living generations from a marketing standpoint.

GI - roughly 1901-1926. Children of WWI, fought in WW2.

Silents - roughly 1927- 1945. Korean/Vietnam War generation.

Baby Boomers - roughly 1946-1964. Yuppies. Rock and Roll. Credit.

Gen X - roughly 1965 -1980. Latch key kids. Entrepreneurs. Generally self-centric.

Gen Y/ Millennials - roughly 1981 - 2000. Brand loyal. Schedule/research focused. Collaborative.

Gen Z - 2000 - present. Eco-fatigue. Tech-savvy. Oversaturated with brands.

The last two are the ones I'm referring to.

OK, I used Lost Generation where you have "Silent". I think the Lost Generation may have been the one predating the GI Generation.

Silent Generation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Generation

I note this: The Silent Generation NEVER had a member become POTUS. Kennedy/Nixon/Carter/Bush I/Reagan were all GI Generation...then Clinton/BushII/Obama are Baby Boomers. LBJ predated GI Generation.

The Old Fart generation is us. :D

I know I qualify... had to google "eco-fatigue"...

Then again... I do know how to google... so there's that...

I think your question, while sincere, and I don't mean this to be insulting, but points to the crux of the real problem; fans like you.

Let me explain. by definition, fan comes from fanatic, so a lot of the dynamic is polluted with emotion. However, Browns fans and media don't live in a world that most other people live in. I get people pissed off all the time by asking them to answer simple questions to back up their idiotic threads.

For instance. Joe Thomas according to most, is a future HOF'er. I simply ask, what stats make im equal to a Forrest Greg or Jerry Kramer? WInning teams? Playoffs? 1000 yard rushers? 3000 yard passers? wins against rivals? improved record?

The answer I get? You're fucked up man, why do you hate JT. But you see, THIS is what has killed the Cleveland Browns. Anything in life will die if you allow the bar to be lowered.

Let me ask you something, man; in other football towns, What Browns players could kids under 25 name? What Browns players would kids 25 or under line up to see? What Browns players do the NFL shows ache to have come on?

The most boring uniforms in the league, no hallmark players, no wins, no championships, no playoff appearances. No cheerleaders, no cool logo.........

It's not the kids man, it's YOU, and fans like you. Lerner gives the fans shit, and they support it. Haslam gives more shit, and the fans support it. NOW,,, we have a fortune teller and a guy named Sushi leading things. What The Fuck pray tell is their to be attracted to?

Hey, lets draft 10 more offensive linemen. That will REALLY reel in the fans.

cmon man, you don't trust chachi and the fortune teller...this will probably be the last hoorah for this team, at least with this owner...if this analytical bullshit with chachi falls flat, he'll sell. don't know if that means the browns will be in another town or not, but he'll give it up.

OK, I used Lost Generation where you have "Silent". I think the Lost Generation may have been the one predating the GI Generation.

Silent Generation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Generation

I note this: The Silent Generation NEVER had a member become POTUS. Kennedy/Nixon/Carter/Bush I/Reagan were all GI Generation...then Clinton/BushII/Obama are Baby Boomers. LBJ predated GI Generation.

Well, we're way off topic here, but in the cycle of generations there is occasionally a smaller, extra subset that is labeled the 'lost' generation.

Much shorter time period than a regular 'generation'

The last one used to be called Gen-Y. A smaller subset of those between Gen-X and Millenials.

well whatever. i call this generation of kids growing up and going to school the generation of where's mine? what about me? me? me? me?

the famous JFK speech would have gone way over their heads (if they ever saw it because their faces are glued to some type of mobile device).

and the presidential candidates say what they'll do to bring back the greatness of the US. how about not buying your kids iphones and ipads when they're fucking 4 years old.

I teach this generation of high schools...2 words sum them up.

Zombie Apocalypse.

You watch a butch of highschoolers with cell phones in one hand walking down the hall..looks exactly like a bunch of zombies shuffling along..

And the look in their eyes in class...totally dead.

Zombie Apocalypse.

You watch a butch of highschoolers with cell phones in one hand walking down the hall..looks exactly like a bunch of zombies shuffling along..

too much digital shit in their lives. Their gadgets literally run them. BUT....that's not their fault. They've been allowed to grow up like that by the past gens. They're a product of unfettered capitalism that requires them to consume consume consume. Their lives revolve around it. Very few of them are becoming self actualized human beings.

Zombie Apocalypse.

On this forum we call it the Zombo Apocalypse.

Archived