THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns might have a huge problem brewing...

Clevfan4life

I'd like to hear what your guys thoughts are on something..but first I need to tell a cool story about how I became a Browns fan as a kid. My parents both were born in Europe and emigrated here in the 60's. They lived in NY, Chicago and a few other places. Once they settled here in NE OH is when they had kids. Now my old man was a casual football fan, but of course being from where he was...soccer ruled. So I grew up playing soccer. But I started watching football in the mid 80's and the first team that caught my eye was the Bears. Watching Walter Payton play was my first real look at football and I was hooked, loved the Bears. My dad really didn't care what team I watched so we both enjoyed watching the Bears game pretty much every weekend, they were televised constantly.

Now my Uncle Bill, may he rest in peace, was a true Brownie. One Sunday we were over there and of course i was like let's watch the Bears, but the Browns were playing so Uncle Bill looks at my old man like wtf are you doing man? He was literally beside himself that I didn't really give much fuck about the Browns game. I don't think they were horrible in the mid 80's but this wasn't yet the team that went to AFC championship. Well in any case my Uncle said this bullshit jsut will not do so he took it upon himself to convert me. And he did.

Now i'm single no kids and always will be. So i wasn't aware of some of the problems that apparently some of my buddies are having getting their kids to give a fuck about the Browns. It popped up a few weeks ago talking to one of my buddies who's kids are starting to get to the age where it's time to groom them into being Browns fans. He told me he's having all kinds of problems, he just can't get them to care. I've talked to other friends since then to see if they were having the same problems and to the man they are. Not one of my friends isn't having difficulties getting his kids to be Browns fans. And the thing that really stood out to me is when I asked well what teams do they want to watch? I just assumed they would be all about front running with the league's top teams. And really that wasn't the case. One buddy his kid wants a Raiders Mack jersey. Another one Kaepernick.....i mean some of these teams their kids want to watch suck. It was players.

It reminded me of a conversation I had with one of my buddies at teh beginning of the season when the new Uni's came out. I love the new orange jerseys and I asked him if he was gonna get one. He gave me a sort of sarcastic/rhetorical question like "which jersey do I get?". And when I thought about it i realized there's no point in me buying one either cause there's really no players save Thomas or Haden that you can say will def be here in a couple years. And now maybe not Thomas who knows. There's just no players on this team. I know they went and got Manziel for this reason and if he had panned out that would have been sweet. But there's just no players on this team, especially at the skill positions, that you can say fuck yeah that would be a sweet jersey. And this is why I'm worried that in 15-20 years the Browns fan base is going to be significantly lessened because these kids will likely get jobs out of state and won't be taking their Browns fanboy with them. Sucks but it's true. What's that going to mean to fans like me who will be in their 50's then and have to watch the Browns lose the one thing that we had to offer, being one of the best fan bases in all of sports.

I want to know if any of you have also had problems with your own kids or know people that are having issues converting their kids into fans? Maybe it's just happenstance that everyone I know has to varying degrees the same problem.

I have 5 boys grown and gone. They grew up with me preaching the gospel of Cardinal football and only one of them even watch football and he is a Cards fan. The other boys ask me about certain games but that's about it. My advise is old but true...

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

I'm turning into a Browns fan though to be honest. Kind of weird how the Cards have gotten a lot better and I miss the down days of bad teams. I just don't root for the uni's but the players as well.

Cleveland is actually doing well nowadays and people aren't leaving like they used to.

And the people who used to leave for jobs have taken the Browns fandom with them, as evidenced by Browns backers bars and such everywhere.

But I'm not a pussy I grew up in Cleveland so I'm a Cleveland sports fans. Some of my former classmates and stuff root for other teams because they're a bunch of bitches. Some kid I knew in grade school was a huge packers fan just because.

I have 5 boys grown and gone. They grew up with me preaching the gospel of Cardinal football and only one of them even watch football and he is a Cards fan. The other boys ask me about certain games but that's about it. My advise is old but true...

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

I'm turning into a Browns fan though to be honest. Kind of weird how the Cards have gotten a lot better and I miss the down days of bad teams. I just don't root for the uni's but the players as well.

i had just gotten out of the army and drove my brand new car i bought in germany and had shipped to philly, to AZ where my dad had moved because of the dry air (had part of a lung removed due to cancer). he lived in mesa and i moved to tempe and worked in a couple of shops who needed pre-press production work done.

anyhoo the one 'sweat' shop was on mill ave. a couple of blocks from ASU stadium so the owner got a lot of college work to be printed on shirts, posters etc. this is when bill bidwell was running the team into the ground and the community of fans were looking for a way to get rid of him, like they were gov. meechum (man i remember the 'pickaninny remarks' within his rant about not honoring MLK day like they were yesterday...........dude was an ass). it seemed every other day we were getting orders for spoof shirts of the cards from fraternities and some of the stuff was hilarious and some of it was down right mean.......all the while i'm a browns fan thinking "hell, at least our team isn't that fucked up!" i moved to boston a year or two later, but remember those days in AZ vividly because they would be the last i'd spend with my father alive. but sand-pit volleyball, the beautiful girls running around in shorts and bikini tops, tubing down some river with a bunch of people like a huge raft full of beer, the $5 ticket U2 concert at ASU stadium.........

but the friggin heat. i don't give a shit if it's dry or not, by the time i left for work in the morning at 8, i was sweating half way to my car which was parked 25' from my front door.

dry heat? go fuck yourself.

cool to see how the cards have turned it around although it seems like it has taken 20+ years to do so. but if they can do it.........

I want to know if any of you have also had problems with your own kids or know people that are having issues converting their kids into fans? Maybe it's just happenstance that everyone I know has to varying degrees the same problem.

Daughter is 40 and I raised her right...

Still working on the grandkids, but their Dad is a Cowboys fan.

I have seven brothers and sisters. Everyone, including all our children root for the Browns. We are spread out across the country, some still in Cleveland, I'm in Florida, with sisters and brothers in Texas, California, New Jersey and Illinois. But we still root for the Browns. Probably because we are older and grew up in the 60's before the AFL-NFL MERGER. Or maybe we're too lazy too invest in another team.

i had just gotten out of the army and drove my brand new car i bought in germany and had shipped to philly, to AZ where my dad had moved because of the dry air (had part of a lung removed due to cancer). he lived in mesa and i moved to tempe and worked in a couple of shops who needed pre-press production work done.

anyhoo the one 'sweat' shop was on mill ave. a couple of blocks from ASU stadium so the owner got a lot of college work to be printed on shirts, posters etc. this is when bill bidwell was running the team into the ground and the community of fans were looking for a way to get rid of him, like they were gov. meechum (man i remember the 'pickaninny remarks' within his rant about not honoring MLK day like they were yesterday...........dude was an ass). it seemed every other day we were getting orders for spoof shirts of the cards from fraternities and some of the stuff was hilarious and some of it was down right mean.......all the while i'm a browns fan thinking "hell, at least our team isn't that fucked up!" i moved to boston a year or two later, but remember those days in AZ vividly because they would be the last i'd spend with my father alive. but sand-pit volleyball, the beautiful girls running around in shorts and bikini tops, tubing down some river with a bunch of people like a huge raft full of beer, the $5 ticket U2 concert at ASU stadium.........

but the friggin heat. i don't give a shit if it's dry or not, by the time i left for work in the morning at 8, i was sweating half way to my car which was parked 25' from my front door.

dry heat? go fuck yourself.

cool to see how the cards have turned it around although it seems like it has taken 20+ years to do so. but if they can do it.........

Sorry to hear about your dad.

I started watching the Cards in '77. When I was in the 5th grade and my teacher was dating Pat Tilley a wr for the Cards. He would bring cool things for us signed by him and others from the team. I was a Jim Hart fan and he took the time to answer my questions. I was hooked.

In '87 the Cards moved and I was fresh out of high school so it wasn't like I had the dough to be a season ticket holder anyway. They moved and that's we're you come in lol.

Yep been there seen all that. But now the fan base doesn't recognize the older fans in the St Louis area. I've read their message boards and I don't really have a place over there. So I'm here hoping the Browns get bandwagon fans too I guess.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

I started watching the Cards in '77. When I was in the 5th grade and my teacher was dating Pat Tilley a wr for the Cards. He would bring cool things for us signed by him and others from the team. I was a Jim Hart fan and he took the time to answer my questions. I was hooked.

In '87 the Cards moved and I was fresh out of high school so it wasn't like I had the dough to be a season ticket holder anyway. They moved and that's we're you come in lol.

Yep been there seen all that. But now the fan base doesn't recognize the older fans in the St Louis area. I've read their message boards and I don't really have a place over there. So I'm here hoping the Browns get bandwagon fans too I guess.

I just love a Pat Tilley reference.

Possession receiver, but only because he was white.

And probably still is.

Enjoyed the old NFC East St. Louis Cardinals.

Lots of rainy games on artificial turf in that division back then though, only the Redskins trampled in the mud.

Z

I just love a Pat Tilley reference.

Possession receiver, but only because he was white.

And probably still is.

Enjoyed the old NFC East St. Louis Cardinals.

Lots of rainy games on artificial turf in that division back then though, only the Redskins trampled in the mud.

Z

Oh yes the memories and I still can't stand the Giants 'Skins Cowgirls or the Eagles to this day.

I think your question, while sincere, and I don't mean this to be insulting, but points to the crux of the real problem; fans like you.

Let me explain. by definition, fan comes from fanatic, so a lot of the dynamic is polluted with emotion. However, Browns fans and media don't live in a world that most other people live in. I get people pissed off all the time by asking them to answer simple questions to back up their idiotic threads.

For instance. Joe Thomas according to most, is a future HOF'er. I simply ask, what stats make im equal to a Forrest Greg or Jerry Kramer? WInning teams? Playoffs? 1000 yard rushers? 3000 yard passers? wins against rivals? improved record?

The answer I get? You're fucked up man, why do you hate JT. But you see, THIS is what has killed the Cleveland Browns. Anything in life will die if you allow the bar to be lowered.

Let me ask you something, man; in other football towns, What Browns players could kids under 25 name? What Browns players would kids 25 or under line up to see? What Browns players do the NFL shows ache to have come on?

The most boring uniforms in the league, no hallmark players, no wins, no championships, no playoff appearances. No cheerleaders, no cool logo.........

It's not the kids man, it's YOU, and fans like you. Lerner gives the fans shit, and they support it. Haslam gives more shit, and the fans support it. NOW,,, we have a fortune teller and a guy named Sushi leading things. What The Fuck pray tell is their to be attracted to?

Hey, lets draft 10 more offensive linemen. That will REALLY reel in the fans.

So the answer is to stop watching the Browns. We should all stop. That will really encourage Haslem to keep the team here won't it?

Dude, what world do you live in? NOBODY cares about this fucking team outside of Cleveland.

At least stick to your own question. You asked why kids don't give a fuck about the Browns. I answered your question with direct reasons, and all you can retort with is "if we don't do it, who will"?

Do I want Haslam to find financial failure with the Browns? Yes, Forrest. THAT IS EXACTLY THE FUCKING POINT.

Supporting shit doesn't cause an owner to get better. It's like gubmint cheese, give a man a handout living and he will sit on his fucking ass his entire life. What part of Haslam will never have a winner can't penetrate your thick skull?

Look man, read your OWN POST and try to get past your ADD and have an original thought. If you know that young kids are not following this shit pile, ahhhhh.....do you think Haslam doesn't know that as well? So be honest, what would you do if you saw that the demographic of your team was aging and dying off?

Me? I would improve the experience. New uniforms that kicks ass, cheer leaders, top offensive and defensive players with reputation for exitement, wide-open balls to the wall football.

Haslam? Uniforms that are as ugly as the team is bad......... seriously, who they fuck would spend money on that ugly shit?

A restaurant gets a reputation for a shit product....do people stand in line to eat there?

The Browns show no effort to improve in 16 years ....people stand in line.

It's fans like YOU man. It's fans like you who don't have a fucking clue what really being a Browns fan is all about. Support shit, and you get served shit. There is no rocket science here. The Browns will be relocated by the 2012 season. If you don't think that's the purpose Haslam serves, then you are crazy. Move the fuckers for all I care. Send them to London and call them the Brittain Bangers. The Browns are doomed.

Ok lemme preface by saying much of what you say I do in some respects agree with. But....

Telling someone who's been loyal to a team his whole life and probably wouldn't watch much football if the Browns left again, that they don't know what being a Browns fan is all about? And I think that can be said of a lot of guys here. We're certainly not uncritical of the team and ticket sales will fall and jersey sales will not do much either. That's our way of telling the owner what he's doing ain't workin.

The alternative is to not watch football. I refuse to a chump two bit ngr and go pull for the ole Cowboys or some dumb shit like that. So what are we supposed to do? I "completely" agree with you about the lack of marketable players here. Completely agree. And as you can see from other threads, a lot of the fanbase wants the team to go get another chump little golden boy that they say will sit for a year but we all know he's gonna get tossed in toward the end of the season when McCown gets his nog cracked again......and he'll run for his life too and never be the same. We'll be right back here in a year or two saying oh no we can't take this budding superstar cause we need a QB blah blah blah.

I part ways with you though about OL like JT. I don't give a fuck about whether he's HOF or not...he at least kept our QB"s from taking blind side killshots. Yes it didn't amount to much cause they got hit from other parts of the line. But not using high picks on OL that can be the cornerstones of a great line for years and years is horribly short sighted. The skill positions play off what happens in the trenches. Get beasted on the lines and your skill guys production get's nerfed. That is basic football.

A restaurant gets a reputation for a shit product....do people stand in line to eat there?

The Browns show no effort to improve in 16 years ....people stand in line.

You keep using this analogy......so, clearly, you don't understand the difference between a fan and a patron....

Bottom line: this younger generation may be the FRAK generation.

My son has no interest in sports at all.....so its not like we are losing him to another team. He just doesn't like sports (except fishing)

My daughter is a Cowboys or Texans fans....she can't make up her mind. But she lives in Texas.

But, overall, this generation is full of FRAKs. They root for whomever is good.

Like LeBron.....became Cowboys and Yankees fans, because they were winning when he was young and he is a FRAK

Take Ben Roethlisberger. From Findlay OH......which is about equidistant from Cleveland/Cinci/Detroit. He didn't like any of them because they were not winning. He was a 49er fan because they were.

It is basically an entire generation of fickle pussies out there.

So? What else is new?

I miss Air Coryell ... St. Louis and San Diego versions.

Saunders comes directly from that tree, while Hue Jack City started with Marty ... good mix, lets kick this shit off.

Z

Very cool. Right now Hue is headed in the right direction because he got the job. With all the front office movements there must have been a lot of politics before he came in and I bet Jimmy wasn't going to tolerate another shitshow. :)

My son has no interest in sports at all.....so its not like we are losing him to another team. He just doesn't like sports (except fishing)

My daughter is a Cowboys or Texans fans....she can't make up her mind. But she lives in Texas.

Like LeBron.....became Cowboys and Yankees fans, because they were winning when he was young and he is a FRAK

Take Ben Roethlisberger. From Findlay OH......which is about equidistant from Cleveland/Cinci/Detroit. He didn't like any of them because they were not winning. He was a 49er fan because they were.

So? What else is new?

Gip,

IMHO this lack of lifetime loyalty was created, in large part, by free agency. These young people don't see the "Player to Team" & "Team to Player" loyalty that us older folks saw. When I was a kid, most players seemed to play their entire careers with one Team. They were your heroes for years & those players were linked to the Browns (or whatever Team you followed). Many of todays' players play for 2, 3 or more Teams throughout their careers. The days of kids growing up with a player or players spending entire careers on the hometown Team are virtually gone with very few exceptions.

Dylan..."The times, they are a changin"

Mike

Gip,

IMHO this lack of lifetime loyalty was created, in large part, by free agency. These young people don't see the "Player to Team" & "Team to Player" loyalty that us older folks saw. When I was a kid, most players seemed to play their entire careers with one Team. They were your heroes for years & those players were linked to the Browns (or whatever Team you followed). Many of todays' players play for 2, 3 or more Teams throughout their careers. The days of kids growing up with a player or players spending entire careers on the hometown Team are virtually gone with very few exceptions.

Mike

Very good point. It's like this way in baseball too.

So? What else is new?

This generation is no different than any other generation in that respect. There would have been no "older generation" of Browns fans had they not torn apart the AAFC and then the NFL in its infancy.

Sure, there would have been some just solely based on proximity, as it was near impossible to be a fan of another team when you couldn't readily see or hear them. But the city of Cleveland would have likely just forgotten about the Browns if they didn't start fast and strong with PB.

Just like they've forgotten about them now.

I find it hilarious when other generations try to pile on millenials despite the fact that there have been infinitely more societal, technological, ethical, and educational dvancements during this time than during that of both baby boomers and Gen Xers.

I remember when frankfurters cost a nickel and you had to walk 10 miles uphill in the snow both ways to go to the corner store for some good taffy.

Wow. This entire thread just baffles me.

To address the OP, why do you think you can 'breed' Browns fans?

Your kids should follow this team because they were born here? Or because you 'taught' them to?

I'm not getting that at all. Can't they make up their own minds?

Some of the responses throw me, as well.

What does it mean to be a 'real' Browns' fan if you only follow them if they win? Or if their cheerleaders are nova and their uniforms are cuul?

Absolutely agree that their Marketing department should be challenged to sell this pile of dawg crap to the world.

That's why they get paid. Tough sell though, because I can't remember turning on a Chargers game because of the Harry Potter lightening bolt on their uniforms or watching any team for their cheerleaders.

I also don't buy the Browns crap.

No jerseys. No cheerleader posters. No tickets.

Yet, I'm STILL a Browns fan.

It's more a measure of a fan to continue to follow 'your' team - especially when they're losing - than it is to say you only follow a winner - or, failing that, the one who markets themselves with the cuul merchandise or nova cheerleaders.

BTW, the Browns DO have one marketable player.

Johnny Manziel.

Every whiff or hint of a remote story about this guy made national coverage over the last two years.

Interesting post, and many good points. Speaks to my heart as l am finding it a difficult to convert my own daughter to "Brownieism."

I don't think it's any secret that being part of a family and rooting for a particular sports team has a certain binding property that goes beyond the sport or team itself. It's a common connection.

I know personally the teams l root for has a shit ton to do with my family, snd l'm sure that's not an uncommon story. And when it comes to families, especially men in families, we aren't too keen on talking about shit like feelings. So instead we talk about how the Tribe did last night. Or how we think Hue Jackson will do as a coach.

The points about how it's not just a geographical thing anymore, and how instead of there being team centric interest it's more interest in the superstar player of the moment. Both very good points. And both likely influenced by the internet and easy access to information, as well as free agency.

Which oddly enough was something l thought l could exploit in my attempts to convert my daughter to "Brownieism."

Johnny Manziel! Hell yes, that'll get it done. Or not...

Granted she is a busy kid, plays sports herself, travel ball, yadda yadda. I think D Bone feels my pain.

Gip,

Mike

I suppose that is true Mike. It has helped that the local team has sucked....so even with player movement if the local team is winning there is not the temptation to looke elsewhere.

Of course, my...and your loyalties are with the roots.....the city, the region. Such a mobile society has no roots....and no local loyalties....so they just jump on the nearest bandwagon.

This generation is no different than any other generation in that respect. There would have been no "older generation" of Browns fans had they not torn apart the AAFC and then the NFL in its infancy.

Sure, there would have been some just solely based on proximity, as it was near impossible to be a fan of another team when you couldn't readily see or hear them. But the city of Cleveland would have likely just forgotten about the Browns if they didn't start fast and strong with PB.

I honestly don't think that is true. Again, you assume lack of loyalty because your generation doesn't really have it. You are applying the traits of your generation on to ours...and that cannot be done any more than you can apply the traits of our generation onto yours.

I don't think they have forgotten....merely repressed those memories.

I find it hilarious when other generations try to pile on millenials despite the fact that there have been infinitely more societal, technological, ethical, and educational dvancements during this time than during that of both baby boomers and Gen Xers.

And again, you try to do the exact opposite.

I remember when frankfurters cost a nickel and you had to walk 10 miles uphill in the snow both ways to go to the corner store for some good taffy.

That would not be the Baby Boomers, that would be the GI Generation...and before.

But, guess what? Perhaps early aspect of the Baby Boomer Generation are coming back: I saw gas this morning for 49 cents per gallon!!

It was E85 gas....but it was gas.

I paid 1.64 for regular.

I honestly don't think that is true. Again, you assume lack of loyalty because your generation doesn't really have it. You are applying the traits of your generation on to ours...and that cannot be done any more than you can apply the traits of our generation onto yours.

I don't think they have forgotten....merely repressed those memories.

And again, you try to do the exact opposite.

That would not be the Baby Boomers, that would be the GI Generation...and before.

But, guess what? Perhaps early aspect of the Baby Boomer Generation are coming back: I saw gas this morning for 49 cents per gallon!!

It was E85 gas....but it was gas.

I paid 1.64 for regular

There are many aspects of past generations I wish were still prevalent - mainly in terms of music and culture. But the relentlessly piling on of millennials is, to me, unfounded - especially when it comes to loyalty. Sports-wise, there may be a better case for it, but millennials have shown to be fiercely brand loyal in a number of market research studies, moreso than other generations. However, that loyalty starts with identifying quality products, which the Browns haven't been throughout a majority of most millennials life-cycles.

This age of connectivity makes it easier to root for teams from anywhere in the nation and, as such, makes it easier for the casual fan to "follow" the sport. So it's not outside the realm of reason that there'd be more bandwagoning in today's age. Doesn't make the generation more fickle.

I bought a Panthers hat, after all. Can't be rooting for Denver.

Archived