THE BROWNS BOARD

The Truth

One Post

Stopping the run defense is key for a winning season. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. You can't put a band aid on a broken leg.

30th against the run. That's horrible. How do you expect to win games when teams are running at will? It's a problem that needs addressed before anyone worries about another part of this down team.

22nd in rushing. This isn't too bad if a team wasn't 21st in passing. It simply means a non playoff team. So where do you start?

D-line and O-line! You cant run the damn ball or stop anyone. You can't throw a pass laying on your backside. My point...

Worry about getting the car running before you spend money at the store buying precious gifts. All this qb talk is just talk and Jesus Christ himself couldnt qb a team with horrid line play!

Rant over

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wait, you have a beat up secondary, Kruger in pass coverage,

teams pass on the Browns silly wise, and you want to blame

run defense on the dline?

No big threat wr's, a drunken sot as qb, and you want to blame the oline?

geez. I'm not gettin it.

Stopping the run defense is key for a winning season. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. You can't put a band aid on a broken leg.

30th against the run. That's horrible. How do you expect to win games when teams are running at will? It's a problem that needs addressed before anyone worries about another part of this down team.

22nd in rushing. This isn't too bad if a team wasn't 21st in passing. It simply means a non playoff team. So where do you start?

D-line and O-line! You cant run the damn ball or stop anyone. You can't throw a pass laying on your backside. My point...

Worry about getting the car running before you spend money at the store buying precious gifts. All this qb talk is just talk and Jesus Christ himself couldnt qb a team with horrid line play!

Rant over

You start with a franchise qb. The Browns are in a position to draft one. Everything else is background noise. The Panthers did a pretty good job filling in the blanks after they drafted Cam Newton.

wait, you have a beat up secondary, Kruger in pass coverage,

teams pass on the Browns silly wise, and you want to blame

run defense on the dline?

No big threat wr's, a drunken sot as qb, and you want to blame the oline?

geez. I'm not gettin it.

Why do teams pass on the Browns at will?

No threat from 3-4 - which needs solid line and stud LBs.

The QB only has 3 seconds to throw - less if under center.

Don't care who is at WR - or QB, it's not enough time.

Kind of an O-line problem there.

This game is won in the trenches and the Browns can't compete there.

This game is won by teams with great defenses and the Browns are seriously deficient at every position.

... so let's draft a QB?? and WRs???

Get it now?

You start with a franchise qb. The Browns are in a position to draft one. Everything else is background noise. The Panthers did a pretty good job filling in the blanks after they drafted Cam Newton.

Took them 5 years, too.

And only after they built a competitive defense did they start winning.

Willing to wait 5 years then?

Is Goff another Cam Newton?

Jesus, With all these NFL player personnel and F'N experts that seem to know everything on this BOARD, Why and the HELL don't you shut up get off this Damn message board, and get JIMMY to hire your ASS so you can turn THE BROWNS around into a winner since you seem to know WTF to do.

Sic 'em, Ghoulie...

Jesus Christ was overrated.

Yup... bailed on the pocket way too early...

... and don't even get me started on that whole Gatorade into wine fiasco...

Coaching, Talent, Discipline, Healthy,100% team Effort & your stories are made on the field, not off. It's rare any QB get's 3-4 seconds to stand in pocket anymore. Defenses our catching up to Offenses cause DB's cannot grab receivers, so get your ass to the QB. Some QB's our so damn good with their seconds they can read coverage & anticipate a receiver deep for a catch or 47 yard interference penalties (if we only had a both). It always starts with a QB & you got to live with their growing pains at the position on or off the field behind a starter. Imo that pick is still a starter. I love Bosa, Jack, Buckner or Tunsil but you got 1 chances at a Goff or Wentz & 1 full season with Josh. Hue says it starts at QB & Hue can coach the rest of these guys up or show them the door. Some Truth & that's where it starts imo.. Go Browns!!

games are decided in the trenches. i whole-heartedly agree, and we drafted 2 OL in the last 2 years and D heavy the last 2 years. maybe, hopefully a couple of guys will show up and be good out of that bunch.

BUT it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the browns and know what is missing. hell for what you say we are lacking on the D side of the ball i can say we are lacking on the O side. first you need a QB. sure i like mccown but he's not the future and even though i like his guts and moxie, it doesn't do the team much good when you are getting windmilled by getting your head knocked off diving for the end zone. no receivers. sure i hope gordon comes back and can be the #1, but who's placing their money on that bet? crowell? really? barnidge? ok he had a good year but we still need help there as well. and you might as well kiss mack goodbye, so here's to hoping ervin doesn't get steam-rolled every play.

just secure this team a fucking QB and make it the right pick for once. then sprinkle in a little D and a little more O and let's go from there.

AND i doubt jackson took this HC spot without right off the bat saying i get to pick my QB. he IS a QB guy correct? i doubt if he's going to try and groom an old vet and whoever is left on the roster to be his andy dalton. he's going to want to start fresh no matter who it is at #2, but it won't be defense.

Rant over

Due to injuries on their offensive line, the Patriots had 37 offensive line combinations, yet they still made it to the conference championships. Why? Brady has one of the fastest snap-to-release times in the NFL. A franchise QB who can process the field quickly can neutralize the pass rush. Nothing is more important than the franchise QB.

Took them 5 years, too.

And only after they built a competitive defense did they start winning.

Willing to wait 5 years then?

Is Goff another Cam Newton?

It won't take five years to turn around the Browns. The biggest problem with the team aside from the lack of a franchise QB is the culture, and that's been addressed with the new FO and the most experienced coaching staff we've seen with this iteration of the Browns.

Rant over

While I love defense and wish we could pick LB's and DB's all draft long......my main concern is that franchise QB's are exceedingly rare and difficult to get later in the draft(only luck will get you one there)....

So....you can build a great D, beef up your lines and improve the team marginally, but by doing this you basically are doing just enough to take yourself out of the running for a QB.....and you are much more likely to score some good linemen(D or O) with later picks, then you are a QB...

If he's there(QB), you take him everytime.....no exceptions.....

This team needs to quit drafting linemen early and draft a qb and lb's and then draft some more lb'ers, wr's, and db's.

We should draft five defensive linemen with our next five first round picks.

It's extremely easy to win without a QB. Look at Houston.

/sarcasm

First of all Houston got to the playoffs. Not to mention the fact that a lot of you guys wanted to keep Brian Hoyer.

And we have Josh McCown who I think is better.

But considering the 34 is supposed to be designed for stopping the run you have to wonder WTF for the last few years.

WSS

First of all Houston got to the playoffs. Not to mention the fact that a lot of you guys wanted to keep Brian Hoyer.

And we have Josh McCown who I think is better.

But considering the 34 is supposed to be designed for stopping the run you have to wonder WTF for the last few years.

WSS

I would rather have a QB we consider the future than make the playoffs like Houston did.

We all know the sincerity of having the # 2 pick in the draft. A wrong move here sets the team back and proof is hindsight from other draft years. A laundry list of qb's we could all name and forget. Some argue "well they weren't that high of a draft pick this year is different." in my strong opinion I would rather have a late first rounder and two second round picks then one in the top two this year. Plain and simple it's a too high of a risk when the Qb's in this draft aren't worthy of a #2 pick. There I said it.

In recent years the only one even close to a sure qb pick was Luck. Wentz and Goff aren't a pimple on his behind. Just using Luck as an example should get the sincerity of it all. You could argue other positions being busts as well but we could all agree that the only O-line position that deserves such a high pick is a LT. JT is the man so Tunsil is out of the question.

Bosa is going #1. Tenn already got their qb last year which makes a lot of sense building through the draft. So why not a qb at # 2 again? Wentz and Goff aren't worthy. Plenty of teams like to trade and plenty of teams can draft well without having the luxury of high picks in each round. Trading down is the smartest thing to do. To assume you're going to get a blue chip Qb in the first rd this year is a huge gamble.

This is a deep draft defensively and stockpiling picks would be the luxury at this point.

As for the running game the Browns seemed to run the ball about midpoint through the season. The offense was moving the ball and keeping the defense off the field. They can build on that. There is free agency coming of course and a shake up on the o-line is enviable.

----------------------------

I read all the responses btw. If everyone likes you you're doing something wrong.

I would rather have a QB we consider the future than make the playoffs like Houston did.

And I think if we had gotten to the playoffs that way, meeting with a really good defense and two quarterbacks better than Houston's including one with a possibility of a bright future nobody would give a rats ass about the money sign writing a swan or singing karaoke or being late for a treatment session.

Of course we were lucky enough to have Carrie Nation as a head coach. :)

WSS

For many of our years since coming back the stats were not accurate since the defense was on the field for most of the game; but, this last year we had the ball a little longer and the defense were out of position to often which is why we did so badly on defense. Yes, we could still put some blame on the offense but the defense has definitely dropped off from average at best to below average.

Jesus, With all these NFL player personnel and F'N experts that seem to know everything on this BOARD, Why and the HELL don't you shut up get off this Damn message board, and get JIMMY to hire your ASS so you can turn THE BROWNS around into a winner since you seem to know WTF to do.

Just waiting for the CALL. Until then I'm on BOARD with all of you to spew OPINIONS and argue.

For many of our years since coming back the stats were not accurate since the defense was on the field for most of the game; but, this last year we had the ball a little longer and the defense were out of position to often which is why we did so badly on defense. Yes, we could still put some blame on the offense but the defense has definitely dropped off from average at best to below average.

not sure accurate is the right word, but I think I get what you're saying....

Interesting stat is that THIS year was the first time since the 80's that the Browns had the ball more than 31 min per game and also the 1st time since 1992 that we held the ball longer than the opposition....

and we did it without a running game, which is the normal way to hold the ball and grind out the clock....so, no matter what anyone says, our D had a lot to do with that.....and we added substantial time to our time of possession over recent years....

of course, the other possibility is that the other teams just scored so fast.....

It's easier said than done but stopping the run will work wonders. The Browns secondary can be all they can be ball hawking when the opposing teams have to throw. Think how cool it could be man seeing a NFC West style defense in Cleveland! I'm getting wood and turning all the way brown thinking about it.

Why do teams pass on the Browns at will?

No threat from 3-4 - which needs solid line and stud LBs.

The QB only has 3 seconds to throw - less if under center.

Don't care who is at WR - or QB, it's not enough time.

Kind of an O-line problem there. Brownpile

Offenses know they need quick outs to get the ball out. Especially in case of an

all out blitz. The Browns don't have that explosive, quick twitch, explode off the los and into

breaks wr. They don't. That's why Antonio Brown saves Buthead Rothlicksrapistbooger time and time again.

But he didn't play that last game. And even with the other good receivers, the attemptedrapistblooger couldn't

have the outlet he usually has. Of course the Browns don't have time, defenses know the Browns don't have

any Antonio Brown type of player. So, they double/triple Barnidge, and have a good cb run with Travis Benjamin,

and case closed for the most part. They can go all out on the pass rush with no worry.

You pass rush the steelers, and antonio brown is open quickly somewhere, it doesn't do much good.

I see Braxton Miller being a dynamic addition to the Browns offense in the second round. He is that explosive,

and quick. I think Doctson is gone way before the 32 pick.

Brag all anybody wants to, but without Gronk, and Edelman, and Brady is toast. If a qb doesn't have the

receivers/te to get open quickly, the oline looks bad, and so does the qb.

It's ridiculous to blame other parts of the offense or defense, when another is a major fail. With injuries, the Browns secondary

couldn't do it. Usually, Brady/rapistlicksbooger/Peyton Manning, get the ball out very, very quickly, because

they freakin have somebody to throw to that's open.

It wasn't all of a sudden the oline with the steelers vs Denver, or the oline with Brady not having anybody

really open to throw to,

That's what I get.

Archived