THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Goff

SPEK216

www.footballgameplan.com/FBGPScouting

Keep checking that link b/c it'll constantly be getting updated. Rankings 16-32 will be out today and rolled into 1 video

Sometimes I think you just like to be contrarian! Goff #5 is a headscratcher but Wentz at 12 and Lynch at 13 are certainly way, way outside the 'groupthink' on QBs. Not that that's a bad thing, but usually if one person out of 20 is completely off-centre, they're wrong.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I think you just like to be contrarian! Goff #5 is a headscratcher but Wentz at 12 and Lynch at 13 are certainly way, way outside the 'groupthink' on QBs. Not that that's a bad thing, but usually if one person out of 20 is completely off-centre, they're wrong.

We'll see as they'll have to play it out on the field

We'll see as they'll have to play it out on the field

For sure, as much as we can try to prognosticate on every prospect, nobody will get the rankings perfect, and there'd never even be consensus on the final rankings, so it's difficult to come close to getting it right.

I'm just not seeing the likes of Jones and Boykin ahead of Goff and even Cook, for example.

I'm actually one of the few people that probably doesn't care which direction we go. I'm putting my entire faith in our talent people, and trusting them to make the right call. I'll be happy with whomever we pick at QB, assuming we DO draft one at number two. I wouldn't put it past our people to take another position, or draft down. I don't think we're going to draft a QB JUST to draft one. That being said, if one or both of these guys (or Lynch) fits the bill, we must pull the trigger, and not get cute by trying to trade down.

Well.. we got Kiper in a close one... at least for this week.

Headline says "coin-flip", Mel's mock sent Wentz to us, but in the article...

"Goff's the better passer,'' he said. "Wentz has mobility but Goff can move around in the pocket. Certainly for Goff, if he was a little bigger right now than he is in terms of the weight, I don't think there'd be any question he'd be the first quarterback taken. And I still have Goff rating-wise ahead of Carson Wentz.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/jared_goff_or_carson_wentz_browns.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Well.. we got Kiper in a close one... at least for this week.

Headline says "coin-flip", Mel's mock sent Wentz to us, but in the article...

"Goff's the better passer,'' he said. "Wentz has mobility but Goff can move around in the pocket. Certainly for Goff, if he was a little bigger right now than he is in terms of the weight, I don't think there'd be any question he'd be the first quarterback taken. And I still have Goff rating-wise ahead of Carson Wentz.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/jared_goff_or_carson_wentz_browns.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Interesting quotes at the end of that article Tour.

Kiper raised the possibility that the Browns pick another position at No. 2 and take a quarterback with their No. 32 overall pick.

"Do they even pass on both of them and take say (Florida State cornerback) Jalen Ramsey to help that secondary and then look to the quarterback in the early second round?'' he said. "It happened in Cincinnati with A.J. Green and Andy Dalton. Happened in Oakland with Khalil Mack and then Derek Carr. Happened in San Diego with LaDainain Tomlinson and Drew Brees. So teams have worked that formula effectively on three different occasions. So maybe they could take another player like Ramsey and then get the quarterback early second, gamble that Lynch would be there.

"Maybe they like Connor Cook from Michigan State. Maybe they like (Penn State's Christian) Hackenberg. Maybe they like (Mississippi State's Dak) Prescott. (Maybe there's) somebody else that Hue Jackson feels 'hey I can get one of those three guys in the second round, I don't need to take a quarterback at two,' So we'll see.''

And now Mayock agrees that Goff is the QB for us?

Mike Mayock: Browns Should Draft Jared Goff

By Joe Ginley @JoeGinley on Feb 23, 2016, 12:01p

Two camps have emerged among NFL Draft junkies and team executives: Team Jared and Team Wentz.

Count NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock firmly in Team Wentz.

However, the draft analyst believes Jared Goff would be the better fit for the Cleveland Browns.

Mayock talked quarterbacks during an appearance on the Rich EisenShow on Monday. The former CBS and NBC analyst focused on the choice between Jared Goff and Carson Wentz.

Mayock began his interview by speaking about discussing the differences between Wentz and Goff, both talented, but very different quarterbacks.

"The first piece of it is some people are Wentz guys, some people are Goff guys around the league. If you're a Goff guy, it's because he's more polished and ready to go day one. He's got beautiful pocket awareness, really good feet, the ball comes out quickly with a quick release, he's accurate with good arm strength.

"If you're Cleveland at No. 2, and you're looking for a quarterback ready to go on day one, he's the more logical guy today."

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/2/23/11099382/mike-mayock-browns-should-draft-jared-goff

Personally I think his rationale sucks. For one, it ignores the existence of McCown. For another, he makes a significant leap when he assumes Wentz can ascend to the heights Goff has already achieved let alone those Luck has. Lastly, he does not allow for the further development of the guy he knows has shown the capability to develop.

I like Mayock, but this smacks of CYA... and I'm not used to getting that from Mayock. Very disappointing...

Personally I think his rationale sucks. For one, it ignores the existence of McCown. For another, he makes a significant leap when he assumes Wentz can ascend to the heights Goff has already achieved let alone those Luck has. Lastly, he does not allow for the further development of the guy he knows has shown the capability to develop.

I like Mayock, but this smacks of CYA... and I'm not used to getting that from Mayock. Very disappointing...

I don't follow all of this as close as a lot of you but I heard another NFL network guy last week talking draft and he basically ignored McCown as well essentially saying the Browns need a QB who can start from day 1 and I don't quite understand that. McCown played just fine last year. No he's not a long term answer and he's not Tom Brady but he doesn't suck. Hell, he'd probably rank in the top 5 easy of QB's we've had since 1999.

And now Mayock agrees that Goff is the QB for us?

Mike Mayock: Browns Should Draft Jared Goff

By Joe Ginley @JoeGinley on Feb 23, 2016, 12:01p

Two camps have emerged among NFL Draft junkies and team executives: Team Jared and Team Wentz.

Count NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock firmly in Team Wentz.

However, the draft analyst believes Jared Goff would be the better fit for the Cleveland Browns.

Mayock talked quarterbacks during an appearance on the Rich EisenShow on Monday. The former CBS and NBC analyst focused on the choice between Jared Goff and Carson Wentz.

Mayock began his interview by speaking about discussing the differences between Wentz and Goff, both talented, but very different quarterbacks.

"The first piece of it is some people are Wentz guys, some people are Goff guys around the league. If you're a Goff guy, it's because he's more polished and ready to go day one. He's got beautiful pocket awareness, really good feet, the ball comes out quickly with a quick release, he's accurate with good arm strength.

"If you're Cleveland at No. 2, and you're looking for a quarterback ready to go on day one, he's the more logical guy today."

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/2/23/11099382/mike-mayock-browns-should-draft-jared-goff

To what extent can Goff really develop further? If we assume there's a capacity for every single aspect, you'd have to assume he's closer to his capacity for mental and technical attributes than Wentz is...and it's not as if Goff is going to grow two inches and thirty pounds. I'm not saying he's reached his ceiling, but he just logically has less room for growth than Wentz does.

Yes, less room... also much less distance to perfection.

Goff can work progressions faster and improve defense recognition. He can also get stronger... including his arm. And the chances he will do all three seem increased by his past growth in all three areas.

The height difference is 1.1" last I checked, but only a couple days until the Combine measurements are out. But even if 2" the impact of that and 20 pounds on a ceiling is minimal compared to mechanics and mental acuity.

Goff is more pro ready, but you can't coach max arm strength,

and leadership....or hand size..

They will throw at the combine, we'll get an idea if his arm/hands might

hinder him in the NFL.

Or, he may be all that, and can throw the hell out of the ball just fine.

But "rumor" has it, Goff has small hands. We'll see - but playing outdoors in the

weather...

I'm in Camp Wentz. Lynch is a bit too raw - look at where Tenn. finished ... #1 in the draft.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jared-goff-s-small-hands-could-shape-nfl-draft-starting-at-no--2-185313800.html;_ylt=A0LEVi4ORs5WY6cAiJkPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBybGY3bmpvBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

"With Goff rumored to be measuring inwith “tiny hands” on Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine, Jackson’s answer on what he seeks from a hand-measurement standpoint could be telling.

“It matters because we play in a division where all of a sudden there’s rain and snow, and it’s different,” Jackson said. “Guys with bigger hands can grip the ball better in those environmental situations. We’re looking for a guy who fits what we’re looking for at quarterback, and so hand size is important.”

Yes, less room... also much less distance to perfection.

Goff can work progressions faster and improve defense recognition. He can also get stronger... including his arm. And the chances he will do all three seem increased by his past growth in all three areas.

The height difference is 1.1" last I checked, but only a couple days until the Combine measurements are out. But even if 2" the impact of that and 20 pounds on a ceiling is minimal compared to mechanics and mental acuity.

Shooting for perfection is the surest way to fail. Neither of these guys will be perfect, especially because there is no such thing as a perfect NFL QB.

Increased "late stage" arm strength is more a refinement of technique than strength. Goff already plants his foot and drives through most of throws decently well, I wouldn't expect there to be any noticeable difference in arm strength throughout his career. Not that he is lacking in strength, per se. Just behind Wentz.

Once again, we say "mechanics" and "mental acuity" like Wentz is some mouth breathing schlub from Podunk. He's a 4.0 student who performed admirably in a national championship game against an unknown opponent after sitting out half a year - if that doesn't speak to "mental acuity", I'm not sure anything does.

Further, his mechanics aren't bad in the least. A rather quick release more often than not, strong release point, wide base, drives his throws - his mechanics aren't the issue. Just because they aren't Goff-level doesn't make them bad. I'd say he's more mechanically sound than Mariota and Bortles were over the last few drafts - both of them were "traits" guys.

His issue is one issue only - lack of experience. Lack of experience against top competition (which matters zilch to me) and lack of experience reading defenses. That's it in its entirety. He didn't make full field reads, as noted by his lack of LTR progressions. However, the fallacy of "locking on" to his primary is overblown. Is he guilty of it, sure. But it's not nearly as big of an issue as its being made to be, given that we can't know for certain how often that actually is the case due to above average reliance on triangle reads in that system.

Literally every scouting report, from Joe Schmo to Bucky Brooks to Mike Mayock, says something along the lines of "day one starter, no. Future franchise QB, likely". Have we as Browns fans become so starved for a QB that we're willing to overlook a guy who checks EVERY SINGLE BOX WEVE BEEN ASKING FOR OVER THE PAST 10 YEARS just because he's not a day one starter?

If so, that's just unfathomable to me.

I don't follow all of this as close as a lot of you but I heard another NFL network guy last week talking draft and he basically ignored McCown as well essentially saying the Browns need a QB who can start from day 1 and I don't quite understand that. McCown played just fine last year. No he's not a long term answer and he's not Tom Brady but he doesn't suck. Hell, he'd probably rank in the top 5 easy of QB's we've had since 1999.

I think they may be considering that McCown takes an absolute beating from bad blocking or holding on to the ball too long. So the rookie could be thrown in pretty early.

Literally every scouting report, from Joe Schmo to Bucky Brooks to Mike Mayock, says something along the lines of "day one starter, no. Future franchise QB, likely". Have we as Browns fans become so starved for a QB that we're willing to overlook a guy who checks EVERY SINGLE BOX WEVE BEEN ASKING FOR OVER THE PAST 10 YEARS just because he's not a day one starter?

If so, that's just unfathomable to me.

Not every single box... As you yourself said, "Goff throws with anticipation. It's his greatest asset." Are you now saying Wentz checks that box??? the big boy box???

For me there is simply not enough difference in their ceilings to justify risking the difference between their floors. And when I say that, I do not concede that Wentz's ceiling is higher.

"Likely franchise" QB? I see franchise grade as a lock with Goff... that's his floor.

As for the whole "perfection" bit... that was with a nod and a wink... but it never hurts to be closer to it... ;)

"Do they even pass on both of them and take say (Florida State cornerback) Jalen Ramsey to help that secondary and then look to the quarterback in the early second round?'' he said. "It happened in Cincinnati with A.J. Green and Andy Dalton. Happened in Oakland with Khalil Mack and then Derek Carr. Happened in San Diego with LaDainain Tomlinson and Drew Brees.

Ha!.....he forgot to mention it's happened here too(thrice actually).......Gilbert then Manziel.....Richardson then Weeden.....Thomas then Quinn....

If you want....you can add Colt McCoy and Charlie Frye to the mix......and thats 5 times in 10 years that we picked a QB in the early rounds.....but not as a first priority.....

Not every single box... As you yourself said, "Goff throws with anticipation. It's his greatest asset." Are you now saying Wentz checks that box??? the big boy box???

For me there is simply not enough difference in their ceilings to justify risking the difference between their floors. And when I say that, I do not concede that Wentz's ceiling is higher.

"Likely franchise" QB? I see franchise grade as a lock with Goff... that's his floor.

As for the whole "perfection" bit... that was with a nod and a wink... but it never hurts to be closer to it... ;)

Right. However, anticipation comes with trust and trust comes with time. Wentz can very easily learn to throw with anticipation as he progresses...I anticipate that he will.

I look at it the Dave Gettleman (formerly Bill Polian) way - I'm not drafting you for who you are now. I'm drafting you for who you are two years from now.

So in two years you've got a 6'6", 245 lb. athletic QB with a very live arm who throws with anticipation and is a legitimate threat in every zone of the game, including running...and you've got a 6'4" 220 lb. technician who has an above average, not great, arm and above average, not great, athleticism who throws with anticipation and is a legitimate threat through the air, not so much on the ground. In two years you have a Ben Roethlisberger and a Matt Ryan.

It's really six of one, half dozen of the other.

Browns fans are so wary of taking a traits guy because of the likes of Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden and Johnny Manziel that they are basically looking a gift horse in the mouth here. Either way, we're likely getting a good QB, better than anything we've seen in 20 years in Cleveland. It's a matter of preference of the style of QB you'd like plus what you want the game plan to be for the next two years.

I think the "athleticism gap" is over estimated (and the Combine numbers will show it) and Wentz's resume is simply too thin...

Plus have I mentioned recently that I don't like running QBs?

No bridging this gap, TC, but as usual, it was interesting trying....

Archived