THE BROWNS BOARD

First Round Busts

The Gipper

I wonder WHY Gilbert even attempts to play...he shows the energy & passion of a "slug". Neither he nor Mingo show any instincts.

Mike

Though, actually, I saw Mingo make at least 2 good plays. For what that's worth (given that they were against like the Falcons third stringers)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hall has been average at best...except perhaps for one year. Haden had a bad year last year due to injuries.

You think you know more than the players of the NFL, the coaches of the NFL, the GMs of the NFL...who have put Joe Haden into the Pro Bowl....and who have never seen fit to put Hall into the Pro Bowl.

Hall: an average NFL player. Serviceable, yes. Probably better than a lot of guys the Browns have had.....but not a plus player.

So your argument is that there is only one way to evaluate whether a player is good. Was he ever a pro bowler?

According to this line of thinking, Fred Taylor was "average at best" Joey Galloway was "average at best" And Vince Young who completed 51% of his passes, threw more INTs than TDs and had a 66 passer rating in 2006 was great because he was selected by "players and coaches" to go to the pro bowl? Great argument Gipper.

So your argument is that there is only one way to evaluate whether a player is good. Was he ever a pro bowler?

No, that is not the only way.....but it is a factor. See below. Career productivity is more of a factor.

According to this line of thinking, Fred Taylor was "average at best" Joey Galloway was "average at best" And Vince Young who completed 51% of his passes, threw more INTs than TDs and had a 66 passer rating in 2006 was great because he was selected by "players and coaches" to go to the pro bowl? Great argument Gipper.

That is your fairyland argument, it is not mine. I look at a variety of factors. Making a Pro Bowl is a factor when a person's career is otherwise un-notable...or is shortened somehow. Taylor and Galloway would have likely been some of the best producing performers at their positions in their careers. Taylor has a 110 Career Production Average. Galloway a 99. OUtstanding careers.

Leon Hall has a 56....about half what the other players you mention have. A very average career number for how long he played.

Average career production numbers. No Pro Bowls.....tells me that he was average and his peers thought the same of him.

Leon Hall was average.

Like the Mike Reid/Eric Green things. They had low production numbers because of a shorter careers, but were thought of enough by their peers and the people that evaluate talent to have given them two "All Star Game" appearances each, at least.

"All Star Game" appearances is an important factor when looking at a baseball player. The same is true for a football player.

I acquiesced on Green and Reid. Not so on Hall. A decent player perhaps. Not a huge talent comparatively.

^ Well profootballfocus says that Hall was really good for a long time. He also received a really big second contract which teams don't give to average players. So I'm right and your wrong.

I don't see they said anything of the sort. Those numbers of his were average. Average.

And yes, the NFL actually does give big contracts to serviceable players.

I am not saying Hall if a bust. He was just a very average player. And 75-80 of the players that are in the league are in that same category.

And please....go ahead and ask anyone and everyone here if they would have traded Joe Haden for Leon Hall.

Average. Average White Band.

Archived