THE BROWNS BOARD

Orange and Brown Scrimmage Thread

TypicalBrowns

Whose all going to the shoe today? I'm excited to see the Offense and how Griffin looks with the new recieving corps, will be nice seeing Gordon on the sideline. I've heard Crow and Duke have looked promising in camp so far

Defense is a big question mark also, especially the linebackers, hoping to see some of the later draft picks of this year stand out and make some plays.

Go Browns

RGIII and Coleman have been lighting it up, running game needs to improve. Justin"toast"Gilbert looks lost.

RGIII and Coleman have been lighting it up, running game needs to improve. Justin"toast"Gilbert looks lost.

Think about that for a second. Farmer's first round corner is getting baked while the 15th overall pick from our current front office is unstoppable.

Even though you can make an empire in just 1 offseason - if our front office hit on some of our draft picks in the volume of 14 and some of the FAs they signed at reasonable prices it'll be a fun season watching the the turn the corner. Next year's draft volume has also been increased (inclusive of another first round pick and either another 2nd or 3rd round pick. Sounds good to me especially if we have better people doing the drafting.

Think about that for a second. Farmer's first round corner is getting baked while the 15th overall pick from our current front office is unstoppable.

Even though you can make an empire in just 1 offseason - if our front office hit on some of our draft picks in the volume of 14 and some of the FAs they signed at reasonable prices it'll be a fun season watching the the turn the corner. Next year's draft volume has also been increased (inclusive of another first round pick and either another 2nd or 3rd round pick. Sounds good to me especially if we have better people doing the drafting.

That's what happens when we take actual production vs potential. This years draft is loaded with guys who were among the best in the country at their positions, compared to other drafts where we took guys who had freakishly long arms and ran really fast in shorts and a tank top, but yet for some reason couldn't produce at a top level in college.

Had a few plays where he scanned the whole field before making a decision. took a sack atleast once from holding the ball too long. What surprised me was how thickly he is built very barrel chested I kinda expected him to be like manziel or mccoy but he has a completely different frame. otherwise he had your average rookie performance made mistakes but that being said he looked like the 2nd best qb on the team tonight. robert had a good performance but i didn't notice him read the field at all which was concerning. Full disclosure this looked like a PR stunt to build hype more than it looked like a scrimmage...

Had a few plays where he scanned the whole field before making a decision. took a sack atleast once from holding the ball too long. What surprised me was how thickly he is built very barrel chested I kinda expected him to be like manziel or mccoy but he has a completely different frame. otherwise he had your average rookie performance made mistakes but that being said he looked like the 2nd best qb on the team tonight. robert had a good performance but i didn't notice him read the field at all which was concerning. Full disclosure this looked like a PR stunt to build hype more than it looked like a scrimmage...

Yeah- I went last year-it was OK, but not worth two hours of driving to watch. The hype is getting people in the Columbus area interested in seeing the Browns.

I thunk it's nice to see that Pryor really is making progress and it's not some made up feel-good nonsense. I'm very happy for him. That TD he caught in the end zone is the EXACT route that I was screaming for last year...except we never had a physical, tall guy that could execute it. There isn't a defender can do when a jump ball is thrown to a big guy who can jump. Love it.

Sad to see Corey didn't play after having such an incredible week, BUT I read that it was precautionary. RG III looking good was a huge bonus to everything we have going on. We kept hearing about him improving, and now it's somewhat validated.

Pryor looked like an actual reciever, had about 6 catches and a TD, good day from him

Griffin looked solid, he could be a solid game manager if he stays healthy because his legs are an awesome asset

Thanks for starting a good football thread this weekend!

That's good news about Pryor. That said, he and Lenz were the talk of training camp this time last year and neither made the team with the weakest WR Corps in the league. I was so disappointed in the previous staff for erasing almost an entire season worth of development/experience from Pryor. When they finally brought him back with a few weeks left - we read nonsense like we're not ready to put him out there yet as if it would cost us anything on our way to 3 wins.

I know it's not always easy to zero in on specific things especially if you have kids, a spouse or grandchildren with you so if you or anyone else that attended can answer any of the following questions - it would be great.

Did any WRs beside Pryor look impressive?

What can you tell me about the o-line like Erving, Drango and Coleman in particular? Or, if anyone stood out on either line?

Did Scooby Do or Don't?

How did the backers look especially in pass coverage?

Did any of our 1st or 2nd year edge rushers impress you?

Does it look like we have any RBs that could challenge Crow or Duke for reps?

Did any FBs/TEs catch your eye blocking or catching?

Anyone in our secondary jump out at you in a good way at Safety or Corner?

It sounds like they did some STs stuff reading about Mostert's frustrating day, did they use our WR Ricardo Louis as a punt coverage gunner?

Interesting! Thanks for that QB info!

Kessler not only has the challenge of his own learning curve; but he also takes on the learning curve of all the inexperienced WRs that might be screwing up routes or adjustments to coverage leverages ending up in a sack like you mentioned.

I remember back when had a young QB anticipating MoMass to take a give me inside while cut outside making the QB look real bad.

It just seems like an experienced QB can get WRs on the same page easier than an inexperienced QB brand new to pre-snap reads.

Canton Mike and I will be at the training camp tomorrow. Plan to get there early.

I really want to see the rookies, and get a look at Danny Shelton He's going

to be a huge part of scaring opposing offenses this season.

Thanks for starting a good football thread this weekend!

That's good news about Pryor. That said, he and Lenz were the talk of training camp this time last year and neither made the team with the weakest WR Corps in the league. I was so disappointed in the previous staff for erasing almost an entire season worth of development/experience from Pryor. When they finally brought him back with a few weeks left - we read nonsense like we're not ready to put him out there yet as if it would cost us anything on our way to 3 wins.

I know it's not always easy to zero in on specific things especially if you have kids, a spouse or grandchildren with you so if you or anyone else that attended can answer any of the following questions - it would be great.

Did any WRs beside Pryor look impressive?

What can you tell me about the o-line like Erving, Drango and Coleman in particular? Or, if anyone stood out on either line?

Did Scooby Do or Don't?

How did the backers look especially in pass coverage?

Did any of our 1st or 2nd year edge rushers impress you?

Does it look like we have any RBs that could challenge Crow or Duke for reps?

Did any FBs/TEs catch your eye blocking or catching?

Anyone in our secondary jump out at you in a good way at Safety or Corner?

It sounds like they did some STs stuff reading about Mostert's frustrating day, did they use our WR Ricardo Louis as a punt coverage gunner?

Jordan Payton was used in the backfield, motion, FB, he was all over the place and could be a hybrid tight end

Higgins is small, he's got decent size but he looked pretty little when running routes

Pryor actually had 8 catches and 2 TDs, RG was finding him everywhere. Pry has come a long way from last year. Too bad Coleman couldn't practice. Gordon, Pyror, and Coleman....looking good on the edge this year

Crowell looks sooooo fast and quick. Hope he stays healthy, him and Duke will be fun to watch this year.

Like another poster said, Raheem dropped every single punt/kick, Jennings took one to the house.

It was nice just seeing Gordon in shorts and a jersey with 12 on it

Gilbert got burnt a couple times but looks much more cozy and seasoned in his role than last year

It was tough to judge any positions on defense because there was no contact. Kruger will surprise this year, they've changed his depth and length going up field with his qb Rush and he looked really fast and strong off the snap.

Cody Kessler looks awful so far, very raw and has a ways to go, keep McCown For the time being

I thunk it's nice to see that Pryor really is making progress and it's not some made up feel-good nonsense. I'm very happy for him. That TD he caught in the end zone is the EXACT route that I was screaming for last year...except we never had a physical, tall guy that could execute it.

Right...honestly havent bought the hype on him yet, so its good to hear he actually caught some balls....though, Ive never thought of Pryor as a "physical" player.....kinda more as a softy who hates contact.....perhaps(hopefully) he's developing an edge now thats he's outside the pocket....

That said, he and Lenz were the talk of training camp this time last year and neither made the team with the weakest WR Corps in the league.

And that is eggsactly the reason we shouldnt get all hyped because a guy has a good week of practice or a big scrimmage.....e.v.e.r.y s.i.n.g.l.e y.e.a.r. there is a camp "superstar" who flashes, gets raves and then gets cut, never to be heard of again.........

I really want to ... get a look at Danny Shelton He's going

Yep. Im expecting him to show some solid improvement and do what we drafted him to do.....

Jordan Payton was used in the backfield, motion, FB, he was all over the place and could be a hybrid tight end

Crowell looks sooooo fast and quick. Hope he stays healthy, him and Duke will be fun to watch this year.

Raheem dropped every single punt/kick, Jennings took one to the house.

Gilbert got burnt a couple times but looks much more cozy and seasoned in his role than last year

Kruger will surprise this year......he looked really fast and strong off the snap.

Cody Kessler looks awful so far, very raw and has a ways to go, keep McCown For the time being

Good notes...thanks...sooo...

Payton at TE and FB?......sounds interesting.... :wacko:

Glad to hear Crow looked good.....was he hitting the holes?....cause he always looks strong and fast...but finding the gap?....thats a different story....

Cut Raheem......(right now, please)

Gordo will look even better in pads...... ;)

This guy....Gilbert....whatta weirdo....man do I hope his light goes off....was he returning any kicks?

Kruger?....fast?....AHahahahaha.....thats a good one!....Hey, you are spot on with your other comment tho.... if he plays well, it WILL be a surprise...HUGE

They are crazy if they dont keep McCown.........

There was one specific run by Crowell where, even going non contact, he wasn't touched coming through the hole for 10 yards, and his lateral quickness has improved making him so shifty that it was incredible to watch. That dude can break the legs of defenders and is sneaky fast for his size, like JG with how he runs. Was very pleased with Crowell and I can see why Hue has been jerking it to the RBs

Canton Mike and I will be at the training camp tomorrow. Plan to get there early.

I really want to see the rookies, and get a look at Danny Shelton He's going

Would love a report on Scooby......... I haven't heard his name much so far, and was hoping I would've by now.

The one clip I saw, was Hue raving over a play made by Scooby -

three or times Hue said "WAY TO GO, SCOOBY!"

that's it. Scooby has instincts to be a player worth keeping.

and Higgins... the rest of the rookies. I wonder if there is a record for

the # of rookies to make an NFL team's active roster.

Maybe the Browns might break that record.... :)

With the crap that was on this roster, all 14 should make it.

No kidding, and not only make the active roster, but have a significant role throughout the year too.

No kidding, and not only make the active roster, but have a significant role throughout the year too.

If he didn't have any health issues he would've been drafted a lot higher. He's going to have to be special on Special teams that's for sure. I'm rooting for the kid.

Higgins is small, he's got decent size but he looked pretty little when running routes

Pryor actually had 8 catches and 2 TDs, RG was finding him everywhere. Pry has come a long way from last year. Too bad Coleman couldn't practice. Gordon, Pyror, and Coleman....looking good on the edge this year

Like another poster said, Raheem dropped every single punt/kick, Jennings took one to the house.

It was tough to judge any positions on defense because there was no contact. Kruger will surprise this year, they've changed his depth and length going up field with his qb Rush and he looked really fast and strong off the snap.

I didn't realize that scrimmage was without pads or I wouldn't have asked so many questions. Thanks for all the info you shared!

Hard to believe the first preseason game is only 5 days away.

I didn't realize that scrimmage was without pads or I wouldn't have asked so many questions. Thanks for all the info you shared!

Hard to believe the first preseason game is only 5 days away.

The real 11 on 11 with live tackling scrimmage was Friday night and Coleman and RG3 were the stars. Football in 5 days and I will be there, road trip to Lambeau.

The real 11 on 11 with live tackling scrimmage was Friday night and Coleman and RG3 were the stars. Football in 5 days and I will be there, road trip to Lambeau.

That's really good news about Friday. Man, that sounds like a great road trip this time of year. Enjoy...

Oh, do I envy you! Going to a live game at Lambeau is definitely one of my "bucket list" items.

Mike

Oh, do I envy you! Going to a live game at Lambeau is definitely one of my "bucket list" items.

Mike

same here, preseason or not I have to see a game in Lambeau.

We need a new, better nickname for him.

How about "Charcoal"? It is always getting burnt on a grill.

Or

Qui Gon Jin.....as they burned him in a funeral pyre.

Or "The French Army".....because he gets run over so badly.

Or "Zippo" for the way he is always getting lit up.

Insert your own.

Archived