THE BROWNS BOARD

Rule change idea to reward aggressive offense.

SkippinTurtles

The extra point is properly executed 99% of the time. How is that even remotely interesting? If free-throws went in 99% of the time they would get rid of the free-throw line. Every play should at least involve some element of risk. 99%.

That's exactly why I suggested narrowing the goalposts. That & the high % of long field goals being made. Simply narrow the goal posts & you achieve the desired result WITHOUT compromising the game, which has been done far too often already.

Mike

That's exactly why I suggested narrowing the goalposts. That & the high % of long field goals being made. Simply narrow the goal posts & you achieve the desired result WITHOUT compromising the game, which has been done far too often already.

Mike

I'll second that. (again)

The extra point is properly executed 99% of the time. How is that even remotely interesting? If free-throws went in 99% of the time they would get rid of the free-throw line. Every play should at least involve some element of risk. 99%.

Wrong. Last year it was around 95%- and the NFL may make it harder yet. As Mike suggested, narrow the goalposts- and move 'em back another 5 yards.

:) They've been narrowed once already Keith. Make 'em like Arena League goalposts. (Not just yet)

That's my one complaint about the NBA- they've never raised the baskets. Fans love those power dunks. It's just gotten too easy for the pros. Mutumbo could about dunk not even jumping. We used to play in a grade school gym where you could crank the baskets down to 8'. It's no challenge dribbling till you fake your defender out for an easy slam.

The reason they aren't raising the basket, is both entertainment and records wise. If you don't want to see dunks and are only concerned with solid fundamentals, go watch the WNBA. I heard tickets are real cheap. As far as records go, you have decades of records which would basically be nullified due to changing that rule, much like changing the scoring in the NFL, switching to metal bats in baseball, or removing the goalie in hockey or soccer.

Wilt scored 100? Nope that doesn't mean shit anymore because the hoop was only 10 foot. Peyton threw 55 TDs? Who cares, Andy Douche Bag only had to throw 5 TD'S to equal Peyton's scoring output.

If y'all dumb dumbs want to change the scoring or any other nonsense go right ahead. I'm going to spend my time watching Westbrook try to tear the fucking rim off the backboard 15 times a night while working on making Oscar Roberson's 61-62 season seem like child's play.

This is a dumb idea. The scoring in football is perfect.

Now, I would be a fan of getting rid of kickers entirely outside of kickoffs. You get down to the 20 and get stuffed on 4th down? Your reward is the field position. That's it. After a touchdown, give teams the option of a free extra point or going for two.

Wimpy non-athletes shouldn't affect the outcome of a true gladiator sport anywhere near as much as they do.

Make TD's 7pts. Instead of a 2pt conversion, make it 3. 10 pt drives. Then make all kicks have to be outside of 50 because those are the only kicks anyone wants to see. 50 yard extra point = 2pts. Field goals from 50 or more = 2pts. Let the real players score. Make the kickers earn their checks.

Eliminate forward motion.....like in Canada.

Or allow points for a rouge, however that is done:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_(football)

I'm real leery of any more changes to the game. Are we trying to fix something that is not broken? I have come on board with some of the newer changes that protect the players and try to keep injuries down though.

In football today almost every time there is a big play, a long run or pass play, a punt or kick off return the first thing we do is look for a yellow penalty flag. I would be for something that cut down on penalties. I don't remember years ago it being as bad as it is today.

On the more games thing, I would be very happy to see a developmental league. It probably wouldn't get a whole load of TV traction so might not be as profitable, but there are so many players who could probably crack the starting line up with a couple of years coaching, but never get the chance because they can't stick around somewhere long enough.

For college players, it's NFL or bust (and even then, plenty do bust...) but just picture a league where Cody Kessler gets to play live speed with and against other practise squad guys. If nothing else, it would help the rookie QBs transition from college to the pros.

On the more games thing, I would be very happy to see a developmental league. It probably wouldn't get a whole load of TV traction so might not be as profitable, but there are so many players who could probably crack the starting line up with a couple of years coaching, but never get the chance because they can't stick around somewhere long enough.

For college players, it's NFL or bust (and even then, plenty do bust...) but just picture a league where Cody Kessler gets to play live speed with and against other practise squad guys. If nothing else, it would help the rookie QBs transition from college to the pros.

I agree, a minor league would be good.....but, I wonder, does the NFL consider the likes of the CFL and/or the Arena League a form of minor league? When they had NFL Europe that was run basically as a minor league.

Here is what I would like: a minor league consisting of teams that are in cities that were like once original NFL cities: Akron/Canton, Decatur, Hammond, Racine, Rock Island, Pottsville, Rochester, Muncie

I'm real leery of any more changes to the game. Are we trying to fix something that is not broken? I have come on board with some of the newer changes that protect the players and try to keep injuries down though.

In football today almost every time there is a big play, a long run or pass play, a punt or kick off return the first thing we do is look for a yellow penalty flag. I would be for something that cut down on penalties. I don't remember years ago it being as bad as it is today.

I disagree. What makes football the greatest game is its ability to adapt. It's always tweaked its rules more than other sports because they were interested in progress not clinging to silly traditions (not to sound like a liberal or anything).

I disagree. What makes football the greatest game is its ability to adapt. It's always tweaked its rules more than other sports because they were interested in progress not clinging to silly traditions (not to sound like a liberal or anything).

Better to be progressive than regressive.

Leave the game as is... only thing i would be on board for is more games.

We're in a quandary- most people would say the 4th preseason game is a joke, only used to decide the bottom 10 of the roster. But- there's too many injuries as it is. Adding two more games is only going to add to the total. I couldn't find the number for the NFL- but it had to be way over 100 players, with the Ravens leading the charge.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Reach-Record-Number-Of-Players-On-Injured-Reserve-In-John-Harbaugh-Era/b13d9c11-26a3-4102-abf8-ffde6a307f95

One rule change I would consider.......is trading 2 regular season games for 2 preseason games, giving us a longer reg season and earlier start on meaningful football.....and add 5 men to the roster....

I've always wanted to cut the preseason down, problem is the players and the union don't, I say add the two extra games and make every player set out two games a season, be it due to injury or not, then back up players become more important, come the last few games picking which players set against which teams would be interesting....

So dilute the product by mandating inferior players play?

I hate the idea of expanding the regular season beyond 16 games.

Four preseason games are barely enough to ID talent on the roster let alone develop it.

In '64 we played 14 game seasons and 6 preseason games...

Archived