THE BROWNS BOARD

Have they learned their lesson?

Babernakle

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am saying there is no we took a Qb three rounds early...

Yes there is.....and it's called "a reach"....that is the definition......when you draft someone lower than everyone else thinks they should go.....it's considered a reach....simple...

And now we will have a over the hill Kenny Britt smh.

The good news is that we only guaranteed him double what we guaranteed Bowe.....so he's an over the hill bargain

I agree. Not like we had a decent number 1 wide out. I liked Pryor but let's face it, he would not be a number 1 on a lot of teams. A good number 2 guy at best. And now we will have a over the hill Kenny Britt smh. STILL NEED A #1 WIDE OUT.

A lot of times last year we lined up with just two WRs and everyone else blocking, an upgraded line was priority in FA and the draft will be defense. A good move, the receivers drafted last year WILL be better this year. I really like Britt, he has done well enough considering Jeff Fisher has been his HC most of his career. These guys have a plan, the local media are dinosaurs that hate the fact their inside leaks have been blocked and if they aren't controversial or damn right insulting, nobody outside of Ohio reads their articles. It's a really shit situation for the organisation, it will take a lot of thick skin and patience my worry is Haslam doesn't have that. They haven't even made the pick and it's crazy everywhere, give them a fucking chance.

Yes there is.....and it's called "a reach"....that is the definition......when you draft someone lower than everyone else thinks they should go.....it's considered a reach....simple...

It wasn't a reach in the Browns war room, that's all that matters. Just like Jordan Richards to the Pats in round two in 2015 wasn't a reach to them, he was barely a day three guy to any pre draft mocks etc if I recall correctly. There is no such thing as a reach or a steal, your board is YOUR board. A few years down the line it can be scrutinised, but not when the pick is made.

Jordan Richards, S, Stanford
Height: 5-11. Weight: 208.
Projected 40 Time: 4.59.
Projected Round (2015): 5-7.

2/7/15: Richards recorded 76 tackles with three interceptions and five passes broken up in 2014. He had a nice performance against Notre Dame, including an interception. Richards had some ugly missed tackles against USC. He looks like a backup who could contribute on special teams.

8/27/14: While Ed Reynolds received more media attention, Richards was the best safety for the Cardinal in 2013. Richards totaled 69 tackles with three interceptions and three passes broken up for the year. Two of his picks helped Stanford beat UCLA. In 2012, he recorded 68 tackles with 15 passes broken up and three interceptions. Richards has a good makeup and can function in the tackle box.

Personal: Son of Terrence and Sharon Richards. Majoring in public policy.

It wasn't a reach in the Browns war room, that's all that matters. Just like Jordan Richards to the Pats in round two in 2015 wasn't a reach to them, he was barely a day three guy to any pre draft mocks etc if I recall correctly. There is no such thing as a reach or a steal, your board is YOUR board. A few years down the line it can be scrutinised, but not when the pick is made.

Whatever....there absolutely IS such thing as a reach and it's a common thing....always discussed....and, of course the team reaching doesnt think they're reaching....its an opinion, usually weighed by concensus...

Just like any player, they are worth what you think they are worth waht you're willing to pay...

An extreme example would be Myles Garret....never a reach at 1, because he's the consensus #1.....BUT, if the Browns decided he sucked and said he was a 7th rounder....does that make him a shitty player and a 7th rounder all of a sudden?....just because the Browns board says so?.....or does that make the Browns crazy.....it works both ways...

When a guy is "projected" to not even be drafted....then someone taps him in the 3rd...its a reach......and, on thursday, if we use the first pick to tap....sayyyy Marcus Maye(a projected 3rd - 4th rounder) would you just accept that he's the best player?....or would you think the Browns made a "reach"...?

I cant do any more to get you to understand what the common term "reach" means, but denying it even exists is silly....

one last example is that the Browns dont think they reached and that opinion is valid....BUT most other people think they did....and that opinion is equally valid...

So...in the end....you dont think they reached.....many of us do.....(same with Weeds, Johnny and Quinn)...but denying its a real think doesnt fly with me....happens every draft....Ive witnessed it....and know it's a real thing...

If we come out of the draft Thursday with Garrett and Trubisky, I'll be the happiest of fans.

Thing is with this argument we've been having for months now... I see both sides. I don't think one side has a better argument than the other. We get Garrett and ignore our QB situation (or take a flier on a late round prayer) and the most important position on the field is ignored yet a-fucking-gain. A sure way to lose. We take the QB instead and we're likely missing out on a premier talent (best player in the draft by the vast majority of scouts) for a guy who some believe isn't even first round talent. A sure way to lose.

You gotta come out of this draft with both.

.and, of course the team reaching doesnt think they're reaching....its an opinion, .

Just like any player, they are worth what you think they are worth waht you're willing to pay...

Read your own comment back, you are correct.

I must be dumb because I want a QB... but you guys are oh so much smarter and want this POS.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/warren-sapp-says-myles-garrett-isnt-worthy-of-no-1-pick-in-2017-nfl-draft/

I don't think you are dumb at all Nick. I just think you are jaded in your quest for a qb. You can't make it happen, as much as you want it so.

The same fans that wanted little johnny and rg3.

No, we didn't want Johnny. He was thrust upon us.

He wasn't even on the Joe Banner Browns' draft board in February. But somehow, Haslam fired Banner and Johnny got onto the draft board.

RG3 was Hue trying to catch lightning in a bottle. What the heck, Hue didn't have much else...and he didn't cost any draft picks.

We need a QB (still). And I'm betting that Haslam wants a glitzy new QB for his truck stops...I mean football team.

We're going to take one.

So for you QB proponents, Are you sold completely that one of these guys is a #1 pick talent? If you answer yes surely you are telling me that person can start game one and roll? Are you telling me they are clearly better than next years QB class? I agree we need a QB but you don't spend #1 unless he's a lock.

Nope, it usually doesn't happen that way. As recently as last season, Goff was picked #1 overall and didn't start until week 11. Clearly better than the 2018 QB class? I don't have that answer, but I can guarantee you the Browns have already extensively scouted all the top prospects, and that will weigh in on their decision whether to draft a qb high this year- or not. For the record (again) I'm not espousing taking a qb at #1 this year. Or you think we can pull off that daily double and draft #1 overall next year too?

There is absolutely, unequivocally, no such thing as a reach. None whatsoever. YOUR GRADE IS WHAT MATTERS.

Come on. London. To the team drafting the player? Sure. But Kiper, McShay, Jeremiah, and a cast of millions in the Peanut Gallery will call it a reach, based on their draft boards. That's a guy with a projected draft grade of say 6th round getting taken in the third or higher. Any kicker taken in the first three rounds is almost by definition a "reach". Why? Because kickers probably shouldn't get drafted until the 6th round or lower. :)

Excited to see. We speak no more reach. Well Kessler may not be that answer anymore. As long as am not looking guys up on draft day such as Seth DeValve.That would be a good start along with no need of 4 guys at one position. My ponders::1. Will they value the 1st/12th pick as gaining another 1st rounder at next season QB crop? 2.11 picks--11 roster spots?..trade up to 8 solid players,not more additional picks. 3.Pats true value/gameplan on Jimmy G? or any Experience QB's. When the new Qb's come in, others fall off.Who? Drafting: Our biggest nightmare..Tick Tock..

Drafting: Our biggest nightmare..Tick Tock..

And the most fun everyone else has at our expense when we obviously screw the pooch once again. Just once do it right with BPA!!! PLEASE!!!!!

And believe me all the expert will laugh their asses off if we trade away the bank for yet another QB for the t-shirt.

EDIT: I saw Watson interviewed yesterday and he made it clear that any team taking trubs over him will live to regret it. Response, "Even Cleveland?, hahaha!"

EDIT: I saw Watson interviewed yesterday and he made it clear that any team taking trubs over him will live to regret it. Response, "Even Cleveland?, hahaha!"

I saw it. Our local news had Cam Newton on stating "When Watson has that many wins.He has the right to say it. Now Proving it. Is all Watson ever knows. When he's not as successful that's when the real player shows up"(Cam, take that damn kangaroo hat off)

To reach or not to reach... the question is have we? Absolutely we have... and his name was Wheezy. No clearer example... a desperation move made by a Holmgren-led FO... frantic to save their jobs.

Here's the thing, London... teams either don't stay true to their boards due to the pressure of "need"... OR... there boards are overly influenced by need in their initial construction. Either way is a path to the same end... reaching... even if the team, the GM doing it is unaware that they are/ he is doing so.

Is our FO "reach-proof"... absolutely not, but the consensus approach we use at a minimum will make sure that we are aware that we are reaching... and that at a minimum the executive who is least enthused about "the reach" can live with making it.

If I have to chose QB or DE at one, I have to take the QB. Don't understand how taking one of three QB's at one is a reach, when 2 and maybe 3 QB's may go top 10.

Group think does not preclude "reaching"... in fact, it perpetuates it. It's like spreading a virus in a pre-school.

Phillip Rivers, Cam Newton and Drew Brees are picking before the Browns at 12 in this draft. Trevor Siemian, Brock Ossweiler and Alex Smith are in the second half. Enough of this QB is all that matters BULLSHIT, it's killing this franchise and the local media are driving it

Nice support of your take in a way I don't remember seeing before.

I am shocked at the lack of respect for Kessler, he performed more than admirably last season i a horrible situation. I bet he has a long and good career in the NFL

As a backup. Generally speaking, the reason for the "lack of respect" is because his overall skill set seem lacking to be a top notch NFL QB.

Have people overcome that sort of thing? Sure, the Brian Sipe's of the world. Perhaps a few others can be named. But those "limited skill" QBs are few and far between. Wouldn't you rather take a chance on a guy with John Elway, or Aaron Rodgers like physical skills than on one with Brian Sipe like physical skills?

There is absoultely, unequivocally, no such thing as a reach. None whatsoever. YOUR GRADE IS WHAT MATTERS.

Ultimate performance is what matters. I mean, in reality we could call Spergon Wynn drafted in the 6th round a reach because of his performance.

Monkey wrench time. Heard the Browns may take Trubs #1 after all. On ESPN NFL Live they say it's trending out there today and this article:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/4/26/15437210/2017-nfl-draft-rumors-adam-schefter-mitch-trubisky-to-browns-number-one

From the article: "The Browns could very well Browns this up in a big way, but I will not rest my hopes of a happy draft on Cleveland screwing this up."

Monkey wrench time. Heard the Browns may take Trubs #1 after all. On ESPN NFL Live they say it's trending out there today and this article:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/4/26/15437210/2017-nfl-draft-rumors-adam-schefter-mitch-trubisky-to-browns-number-one

From the article: "The Browns could very well Browns this up in a big way, but I will not rest my hopes of a happy draft on Cleveland screwing this up."

Where there's smoke- sometimes there's fire Ag. A lot of smoke emanating from 76 Lou Groza Boulevard right now.

Tim Couch was the only real top rated QB we took. I agreed with that choice. It was the right choice, it just didn't pan out.

It is a part of the equation to strike out a few times when drafting a top QB. But you can't consider these other QBs as "going after a great QB. Had the Browns not taken those jackoffs they would have fallen in the draft.

Ditto. The Browns haven't drafted a QB in the top 10 since Couch. They've been real good at shopping the Bargain Bin though. :( Only thing that worries me Tom- with all the Mitch rumors floating around today- other teams have to suspect the Browns want him- bad. If they take Garrett at #1, that's going to unnecessarily drive up the asking price to move up. Although if the rumors the 49ers want to move down are true- the Browns certainly have the ammunition to move up to #2. I've said a bunch of times moving up any higher than the Titans pick at #5 will probably be too rich for Sashi & DePo's blood.

PS just thought of another scenario that the Eagles pulled last year. Move up to Titans #5, then deal with the 49ers #2- might turn out less costly.

That's right... no team has ever gotten a starting QB at any pick other than #1...

WAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......

26 hours to go...

Garrett would be the fuck up. I believe Haslam is pulling rank.

Chances are very, very good that he reads this board and realizes my draft picks have outperformed everyone else's. If he is paying attention, he will force his hand and take Trubisky. Otherwise, you are right. If they take Garrett, they will have again wasted a #1 pick.

HAHAHAHAHA AWESOME

At least he's not a mindless lying sack of shit who just says what people want him to say.....sounds like his own man to me....

Guess what........ALL players dream of playing for their favorite teams......most are just weak ass kissers who wont admit it....

Watched Gruden ask Trubs 5 times if he'd like to play in Cleveland and he wouldnt even say it....5 times...

Because he is a smart, polite kid. Dude, you don't speak out of school.

Garrett isn't his own man, Fuck, he isn't even a man. He is another urban jackoff. The ONLY reason he backed off is because his agent educated him on how much money it is going to cost him if the Browns pass. And make no mistake, if the Browns pass, they won't be alone. Total waste of a pick.

https://twitter.com/chasepwilliams/status/830188382634463232/video/1

Myles Garrett is no raptard, or urban jackoff. Football aside (I don't want him at 1 either), he actually is extremely intelligent, and intends to be a paleontologist after football. He actually doesn't like rap, prefers a strong variety off blues, jazz etc. his brother used to play rap all the time and he would shut his door and put on other music. He's also a poet and painter and avid reader. But yeah, on the football field, he seems like a bust to me too.

Myles Garrett is no raptard, or urban jackoff. Football aside (I don't want him at 1 either), he actually is extremely intelligent, and intends to be a paleontologist after football. He actually doesn't like rap, prefers a strong variety off blues, jazz etc. his brother used to play rap all the time and he would shut his door and put on other music. He's also a poet and painter and avid reader. But yeah, on the football field, he seems like a bust to me too.

At least he can read....Im not so sure about Trubs....

Playbooks and Defenses may be tough for him to digest.....

Larry,

fortunately, our owner is a businessman and not a football analytics man. This business of trying to analyzie who deserves to go at what pick is fools gold. It is fake science for jackoffs, like most reading this board. Analytics are nothing more than a way to distract people who don't know much about football ( Hue, Sashi, DePudDuster)

Ben Rothilisberger was the right pick. Trubisky is DeJa Vu. A classic, strong, smart, level-headed kid. Another Manning/Rodgers....insert your choice. He is better than Luck, who I always said was not a championship level QB (Luck = Jim Kelly = hoping to be a bridesmaid one day)

The Browns can certainly take someone higher on the analytical scale, but there is no better pick for them than Trubisky. Only a fucking moron, seriously, a complete fucking moron, would pass on Trubisky for a fuck tard like Garrett, who is NOT anywhere near the player Joey Bosa is.Nobody in their right fucking mind takes Garrett overTrubisky when they don't have a QB.

I know you are sold on Trubisky and with his local story I want to be on board. I just don't see the "it" factor with him. He seems less than confident on the play board. I do believe that mental aptitude is important. He didn't even know how to execute a hard count. I am starting a to think th real deal in this draft is Kizer. Powerful big kid and football smart as hell.

Here's what I want the Harvard Committee to do in the draft:

Stick to their plan!

Don't get sidetracked by the homeless guy...or by Jimmuh.

They're supposed to be so friggin' Harvard smart. They've done their mind melds. Hopefully they learned some stuff from last year and have an improved plan. And it HAS to be a different plan (I think anyway). Last year was about getting young and gathering picks. So...they got young and now is the time to use the picks.

If they screw up big time...then they deserve what happens to them. But go down WITH your plan instead of going down by getting caught up in draft day craziness.

Archived