THE BROWNS BOARD

0-7. When will the first win come?

Browns149

I say when we make the first pick in the draft. Or we trade that pick for more picks that we will screw up

How can anyone think anything different?

It's been since 1999, and we have taken the #1 Qb

Didn't work

We have traded out of the top 3. Numerous times

Didn't work

We have taken Def in the top 3

Didn't work

GO TRIBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to pick through the bones of that lot I guess, or another round of the good, the bad, and the erving.

Bad:

- QBs getting hit. This needs to stop. It's not all on the O-line as there were times yesterday when guys came around the edge unblocked, there were times when Kessler/Hogan held on trying to make something happen, presumably because there was no separation from the receivers, or trying to force a stoopid shovel pass ten yards when in FG position...

- Those receivers. It's painfully obvious that we're lacking anything of note at the position when Pryor's not in the game. Hopefully Coleman picks up where he left off in his only two appearances of the year (173 yards and 2TDs), but even so, we can see we're going to need more from the rookies or Hawkins.

- Missed tackles are unacceptable anywhere, ever. Jeremy Hill is not Shady McCoy. On top of that, it seemed after every time one of our defenders met the ball carrier, they got an extra 3-4 yards instead of being met in the hole and stopped.

Ugly:

- the D in general...specifically:

- Cornerbacks. With no Joe Haden, we're left with a so-far-over-the-hill-he-can't-see-it-anymore Tramon Williams who can't keep pace with anyone; Disney presents Jamar Taylor ON ICE; and briean boddy-calhoun, an undrafted guy who was cut by the jags, joined us in September and looks like the least incompetent of the lot. Low bar. Side note: I'd be game for tradin' haden if we got anything substantial in return. The best ability is availability etc.

- Safeties. When corners got beat, they weren't in a position to help. Maybe schematically, but the job of the high safety is to sweep up those things and ball hawk. Tracy Howard, a converted college corner in his first NFL start ever being asked to play safety, is not going to be up to the task. Sorry Tracy. They were often late to the tackle in run support too.

- Run D. We all had (relatively) high hopes for the run game, having looked much 'stouter' with Shelton, Meder and Nassib up front. And, while there was some success stopping the run up the middle, they ran for 260 yards. 260. That's two games worth of bad run D in one. Or to put it another way, if we hold the Jets to no rushing yards, our average over the two games would still be ranked 30th. There's a lot of blame to go around, from OLBs not doing their job, tacklers giving up 5 yards after contact to turn what should be 3rd and 4 in to a first down, missed tackles, and maybe scheme, I don't know enough about that one though.

The good! And there was at least some good yesterday.

- The run game picked up again. Not excessively, but Crowell had 65 yards from 12 carries, which included once or twice slipping in the backfield. Kevin Hogan was running wild on the brothers at every opportunity which probably helped, but either way, we found a way to move the ball on the ground, to the tune of 180 yards.

- Special teams wasn't a mess. Solid punting and coverage, no kicks missed, they did their job. I'm not sure how much credit they get for the two missed field goals but we can at least call the special teams battle a win for us this week.

- Gary Barnidge had a nice game, making some clutch catches.

- Hue Jackson had a plan on how to attack the bengals. Who saw Kevin Hogan running the read option as a possibility before it happened? It kept them off balance, gave Kessler time to speak with the coaches mid drive, and picked up some chunk yardage. We might be 0-7, but does anyone think Hue Jackson is a worse coach than Mike Pettine? Pat Shurmur?

- Two sacks for Ogbah. Lovely. He's still struggling to get past tackles, but keeps playing and trying hard and if the coverage is decent, he ends up getting there.

- Hey, nice strip John Greco. Can you play DL?

Other things to be decided:

- Spencer Drango got the start at left guard over Alvin Bailey and didn't seem to be horrendous. Shon Coleman got some time at right tackle with Pasztor struggling badly. So that's nice. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can tell us how they did.

- Erving got injured. Normally injuries to first round draft picks and starters are considered bad, but Erv is a special case.

- the body calhoun had some nice moments but some less nice moments. He kinda reminds me of Buster Skrine for some reason?

- Hogan has a long windup it seems to me. Not a surprise to see tipped balls.

We can't be as bad as the 2008 lions.....

Don't put money on that one my friend. If we lose to the Jets, then I really believe it's 0-20. I can't seem to see any areas that are improving. Unless you count drawing a higher vacuum. 6 Qbs and counting after 7 games is not on the good side of record books but we own that too. My only real question to all the Kool aid drinkers would be.... Where is there improvement on the field? So far it's just been replace the old suck with new suck.

Next week, home against the Gino Smith led Jets.

Fitzgerald is back and Smith gets an MRI today on his injured knee.

BTW Hoyer now out with a broken arm in Chicago.

Edit: And the Giants are now 4-3 and only a game and 1/2 behind the boys, so I don't think so. They actually have a legit D. It's the Jets or nobody now.

Damn, missed that. Oh well, still think we get a win next week, Ryan Beardpatrick stepped in it good an proper when he said everyone had quit on him.

Yep, but they did respond to him and he led them to the win yesterday.

Indeed, but I still can see us pulling out the W there.

In related news, through game seven, we've had five road games, and only two home games (ravens and patriots). The second half of the season - basically every team is a tough game because we're that bad, but being at home for six out of nine should help a decent amount.

Indeed, but I still can see us pulling out the W there.

In related news, through game seven, we've had five road games, and only two home games (ravens and patriots). The second half of the season - basically every team is a tough game because we're that bad, but being at home for six out of nine should help a decent amount.

I understand where you're coming from on this. And you should be right. With the World Series here this week and the team going nowhere for so many years now, locally, they are becoming an afterthought. There will be so many fans from opposing teams here that it may as well be a road game. It's been going that direction for some time now and not getting better. Say.. "Go Tribe" or "Go Cav's" out loud anywhere in NE Ohio and you will get a fist pump and a YA! Back at ya. Say "Go Browns" out loud.......crickets chirping and people snickering is the only thing you will hear back. And it's not about a SB either. We just want to be relevant again.

Chris, if primary edge rushers come around the edge unchecked...thats always on the o line. You just typo'd there right?

Depends on the scheme? Might be relying on a tight end to block (seen it happen), might be looking for a quick out that doesn't give time for the rush to develop, which in turn was covered, could be looking for a running back to chip, could be a bunch of different things.

Besides, it certainly wasn't always primary edge rushers coming through unchecked, but blitzers as well.

Depends on the scheme? Might be relying on a tight end to block (seen it happen), might be looking for a quick out that doesn't give time for the rush to develop, which in turn was covered, could be looking for a running back to chip, could be a bunch of different things.

Besides, it certainly wasn't always primary edge rushers coming through unchecked, but blitzers as well.

Almost everytime primary rushers come unchecked u see a quick pass tonthe other side or an underneath route to a spilling out RB. Those are usually easy to see even if they get botched. I saw normal pocket protection that just plain missed stunting rushers. It happens to every o line i get that. But clearly indicative by our decades long rebolving door at qb more often than mot because of injury, the browns just have a generational inability to keep our QB's upright

Almost everytime primary rushers come unchecked u see a quick pass tonthe other side or an underneath route to a spilling out RB. Those are usually easy to see even if they get botched. I saw normal pocket protection that just plain missed stunting rushers. It happens to every o line i get that. But clearly indicative by our decades long rebolving door at qb more often than mot because of injury, the browns just have a generational inability to keep our QB's upright

If they're putting 8 men 'in the box' (I hate clichés), then the best OL in the world is going to leave someone unblocked. You need your TEs to pitch in, you need to not give their a chance to get home.

...the browns just have a generational inability to keep our QB's upright

Is your statement based on knock-downs? I ask because we are nowhere near on-pace for the sacked-by record...

I may be nuts but, regardless of W-L record, this Team is playing harder & with more heart than last year. They are certainly more fun to watch & don't give up when down by 2 scores (or more).

I have no idea when the 1st win will come, but I'll still be rooting for 'em when it does.

Mike

I'm not sure I want them to win! We need the first pick and it better be a QB with HOF potential! I said before Chicago, Jets, 49ers are all in line for a first round QB. If Hue doesn't realize Kessler is not the future than we are in for another decade of misery.

I don't understand why they are playing McCown? Can't we play Hogan? Does anyone think McCown will last a full game? He's pushing FORTY on the worst team in football! What do we accomplish playing Josh?

If anyone is seriously thinking Kessler or Hogan might be the future then why play McCown? To win one maybe two games? Nothing the Browns do makes sense anymore?? Especially the last draft? Without a QB what good is all those Wide Recievers? I can't figure this front office out! It's seems hopeless with Haslam as the owner. What was wrong with Carson Wentz? Bosa? Elliot? Go back further; Kalhil Mack, Derek Carr? Garapolo? Vic Beasley, Aaron Donald, Eddie Goldman, Marpit?

GO TRIBE

I will say even though we are dead last and seem to lose in every way possible, I still love being a part of this board and hearing what you guys say. Some of you may or may not be trying to be funny, but either way you make me lol a good bit and that makes the loss easier to digest. We are the 12th man together.

If you live in or near NE Ohio you'll get this. I was in Chardon and listening to the radio. Sports report.... Tribe...world series! Cav's, how great is a championship banner ceremony! And if you're tired of all this talk of winning, we have Browns tickets to give away. Pretty typical radio sports report. Tribe..yay, Cav's, yay... Browns. Suck! Tribe? Same thing. MMS, the same. Every newspaper has sports headlines. Dieken agrees with Ghoolie...blue chippers and coaching with better ownership policy. Youngstown Ohio, channel 27 CBS. Due to ratings, we will be showing stool TV this Sunday... This makes it awful hard to maintain a positive attitude towards the team.

Wear a Browns shirt in Cleveland on a Wed and get laughed at harder than in Newcastle pa. There they feel sorry for ya. It's stated that Jimmy shouldn't even show his face or he may get the smile slapped off it.

I apologize for the negative venting on here but it's hard to feel otherwise when every media outlet in oh. Is screaming daily. Browns Suck! Or Sprinkles are for winners.

Distance makes the unicorn and lollypop attitude easier to maintain. You can subject yourself to the ridicule when you want. We're force fed the shit daily....hourly even. And there is only one solution to this.... Just score 1 or more points than the other team. No rocket science or bullshit, JUST FUCKING WIN ALREADY!

This week marks the Browns best statistical chance to win at almost 40% (per Pro Football Focus). I want to win this game, and then lose the rest. I only wish Kessler was playing.

If you live in or near NE Ohio you'll get this. I was in Chardon and listening to the radio. Sports report.... Tribe...world series! Cav's, how great is a championship banner ceremony! And if you're tired of all this talk of winning, we have Browns tickets to give away. Pretty typical radio sports report. Tribe..yay, Cav's, yay... Browns. Suck! Tribe? Same thing. MMS, the same. Every newspaper has sports headlines. Dieken agrees with Ghoolie...blue chippers and coaching with better ownership policy. Youngstown Ohio, channel 27 CBS. Due to ratings, we will be showing stool TV this Sunday... This makes it awful hard to maintain a positive attitude towards the team.

Wear a Browns shirt in Cleveland on a Wed and get laughed at harder than in Newcastle pa. There they feel sorry for ya. It's stated that Jimmy shouldn't even show his face or he may get the smile slapped off it.

I apologize for the negative venting on here but it's hard to feel otherwise when every media outlet in oh. Is screaming daily. Browns Suck! Or Sprinkles are for winners.

Distance makes the unicorn and lollypop attitude easier to maintain. You can subject yourself to the ridicule when you want. We're force fed the shit daily....hourly even. And there is only one solution to this.... Just score 1 or more points than the other team. No rocket science or bullshit, JUST FUCKING WIN ALREADY!

I hear you. It's kind of funny/sad at the same time. I personally know of many folks who jumped on the Cavs bandwagon who couldn't tell a basketball from a softball.

It's always been a football town. However, especially since 2007, the dismal Browns performances and constant change is wearing thin. The irony is this latest change and flushing of the roster may be what was needed....will Jimmy H stay the course?

If Haslam bails on the latest plan too soon, the coverage will get worse. My opinion, give this at least 3 years, then evaluate. If the Browns aren't on the way up by 2018, then consider blowing it up again.

My opinion again...IF, and maybe a big IF, they shore up the secondary and O line, the team can at least be like Indy or Houston next season (7-9, 8-8 ish). I know that's not the goal in the end, but it's not 3-13/ 4-12/ crap like we're used too.

The diehard fans will always be here. The younger generation hasn't seen much to draw them in.

I hear you. It's kind of funny/sad at the same time. I personally know of many folks who jumped on the Cavs bandwagon who couldn't tell a basketball from a softball.

It's always been a football town. However, especially since 2007, the dismal Browns performances and constant change is wearing thin. The irony is this latest change and flushing of the roster may be what was needed....will Jimmy H stay the course?

If Haslam bails on the latest plan too soon, the coverage will get worse. My opinion, give this at least 3 years, then evaluate. If the Browns aren't on the way up by 2018, then consider blowing it up again.

My opinion again...IF, and maybe a big IF, they shore up the secondary and O line, the team can at least be like Indy or Houston next season (7-9, 8-8 ish). I know that's not the goal in the end, but it's not 3-13/ 4-12/ crap like we're used too.

The diehard fans will always be here. The younger generation hasn't seen much to draw them in.

Shit! If the Browns had won it all, that crowd woulda been 5 times the Cav's parade crowd. The fans are here. They have gone underground though.

Archived